New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: GMR 17 Onto new pastures?

I'm constantly being told I've lost connection just checking the site. Might just be being temper-mental.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    Damn this is some wonky ****.

Using the app didn't work at all, and when I try to drag n drop the save file to the website as instructed, I lose connection and it just saves the file on my harddrive.
    Thristing any advice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Damn this is some wonky ****.

Using the app didn't work at all, and when I try to drag n drop the save file to the website as instructed, I lose connection and it just saves the file on my harddrive.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I was getting, until the app just spontaneously decided to work the next day.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Thristing any advice?
    Nope. My save apparently got sent automatically, all I did was save the game. *shrug*

Um, might be the Multiplayer Robot servers are not very stabile yet, go occasionally offline, and you just have to try again later? I don't know what I'm talking about though, just guessing.

Edit: Actually, hm. If you are one of those people who almost never close their computer, try doing that. The app might require a computer restart. Again, just guessing.
    Last edited by thirsting; 2016-07-13 at 12:45 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Still couldn't get it to work and now the save was gone too, so I reverted the turn. So far, not impressed with this version of the multiplayer robot or it's (lack of) documentation.

EDIT: Looks like I might not even be able to revert the game turn
    Well, now everything worked out, turn done and submitted.
    Last edited by Driderman; 2016-07-13 at 06:35 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96

I have no idea what I just achieved.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

7. - Top - End - #97

YAY! We completed our first turn.

I'm guessing no one wants a timer installed just yet?

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Probably safest to wait a few turns for that, yeah. Once we've got the basics of the interface down, we can see which problems aren't user error and whether those are going to cause delays.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Probably safest to wait a few turns for that, yeah. Once we've got the basics of the interface down, we can see which problems aren't user error and whether those are going to cause delays.
    One hour turn timer, got it!

10. - Top - End - #100

Am I jumping the gun?

Spoiler: for spectators
    Show

"Our lord, the great Doge Enrico Dandalo did climb upon the hill and behold the ocean and say 'here i shall found a great city' and so our city was founded."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thirsting View Post
    Edit: Actually, hm. If you are one of those people who almost never close their computer, try doing that. The app might require a computer restart. Again, just guessing.
    That is not the issue, at least with me. I shut my PC down every night and almost every time I leave my home.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2016-07-13 at 05:50 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hah, almost clicked that spoiler until I remembered that I'm actually a player this time around.

Also yeah, we should probably hold off on the turn timer for just a bit until we get into groove of things.

13. - Top - End - #103

Spoiler: Spectators - Starting spot
    Show

Oh gods, looks like it's a place where it's cold three months a year, and FREAKING COLD for the rest nine. Not happy at all about this spot, but it seems there's only tundra everywhere around this little oasis, so we have no real choise. Have to do with what the gods have given us.

But honestly, we are lucky, too. At least the very nearby mountain offers spectacular views, and the river ensures our people can get a decent living from fishing. The fields near river are relatively easy to irrigate, too. Just have to hope the climate is not too cold for farming..

((started between game and dyes, but decided to use up a turn to move next to a mountain - it'll allow our capital to build an observatory, which will be really, really good for science generation later in the game))
    Last edited by thirsting; 2016-07-15 at 10:34 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show
    Tired of hunting and gathering all day? Weary of those endless hilly landscapes? Just eager for adventure? Come visit the scenic city of DELHI! Surrounded by lush jungle and exotic fruit, our city boasts quaint rustic lodges and quality hand-made goods. It might be small now, but the growth potential is huge! Be the first to see this lovely city! Tell your friends!

This message brought to you by the Delhi Board of Tourism

Spoiler: Orcus
    Show
    Greetings, stranger! This is unexpected. Our scenic home lies just to the north; where do you come from?

15. - Top - End - #105

Spoiler: Orcus
    Show
    Greetings, stranger! This is unexpected. Our scenic home lies just to the north; where do you come from?
    Spoiler: The_Snark
    Show
    Hail and welcome, travellers. We greet you in friendship. Your land lies to the North? Then we are brothers of the river, for we lay to the South.
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

16. - Top - End - #106
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show
    OOC: Forgot to take a turn 1 screenshot, but here's England's beginning:
    (http://i.imgur.com/DuZrQOu.jpg)

OOC: Not really happy with this start, but not dissatisfied either. Unfortunately my latest turn revealed tundra to my east so I'm worried a bit about expansion possibilities. With desert to my north and tundra eastward I fear I'm in the southern portion of the map, separated from richer lands by water and desert.

Plans are to scout and try to develop Calendar fairly quickly. I'm feeling like a religion is less important to me than a pantheon to use the deer and/or plantations near my capital so will probably build a shrine after a granary, and rely on Tradition to get my monument. It's really too early for more concrete plans, those will depend on who and what my scouts find in the next few dozen turns.
    Last edited by DodgerH2O; 2016-07-15 at 09:28 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Would be awesome if Zevox would take his turn, or let us know why he's not at the very least

18. - Top - End - #108

Would be awesome if Zevox would take his turn, or let us know why he's not at the very least
    How dare you beat me into being so passive aggressive.

this was intended as humour only

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

What goes in the Spectator posts? I assume it's something I shouldn't look at

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by 7th son of sons View Post
    Correct. Typically it's showing off where you are at to people not in the game.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

When did it become my turn? I had a lot going on this weekend, but I did leave the GMR clients open, and the only one I recall pinging at me all weekend was 16.

In any case, done.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

What map type is this?

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

I believe we ended up going with Terra. (Two large continents + a few islands, everyone starts on a single landmass and the other is separated by ocean)

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    When did it become my turn? I had a lot going on this weekend, but I did leave the GMR clients open, and the only one I recall pinging at me all weekend was 16.

In any case, done.
    No idea to be honest but as far as I could tell from the confuse-a-tron it was your turn for 2 days? Or maybe I misread it.

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by 7th son of sons View Post
    As a spectator, what I'd like to see is screenshots and/or some commentary of starting spot, war efforts, neat quirks of the map, thoughts on the state of the game, anything else cool you might think of and want to show off, but don't want other players to see. Some people post dozens of screenshots weekly, others hardly ever. None of that is required of course if you don't feel like doing spectator posts. But it's nice to read and see how things go from everyone's perspective.
    Last edited by thirsting; 2016-07-19 at 06:57 AM.
    Well that was awkward.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Submitted my turn, had to restart the app to get it right though so maybe it gets glitchy if you leave it on for longer.

Spoiler: Spectator Update
    Show

The grand Portuguese capital of Lisbon:

Not too stoked about my location but it's not too shabby. River, 2 luxuries and stone. Might need a worker sooner rather than later to clear out the marsh.

Planning to build a scout, a monument and then probably another scout, then get started on a granary. Policy-wise I'll probably open Tradition and then go Liberty for the extra Settler, grab a second city somewhat quickly and then, if the situation allows found a 3rd as well as quickly as possible, preferably all 3 coastal.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Submitted my turn, had to restart the app to get it right though so maybe it gets glitchy if you leave it on for longer.

Spoiler: Spectator Update
    Show

The grand Portuguese capital of Lisbon:

Not too stoked about my location but it's not too shabby. River, 2 luxuries and stone. Might need a worker sooner rather than later to clear out the marsh.

Planning to build a scout, a monument and then probably another scout, then get started on a granary. Policy-wise I'll probably open Tradition and then go Liberty for the extra Settler, grab a second city somewhat quickly and then, if the situation allows found a 3rd as well as quickly as possible, preferably all 3 coastal.
    Spoiler: Driderman
    Show
    It's unfortunate that your starting resources are down the mining path, rather than Calendar/Pottery/Sailing, on account of your being Portugal and all.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    Spoiler: Driderman
    Show
    It's unfortunate that your starting resources are down the mining path, rather than Calendar/Pottery/Sailing, on account of your being Portugal and all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's cocoa too, though, so it's not all bad but yeah, some more plantation-luxes would have been nice

29. - Top - End - #119

Spoiler: spectators
    Show

The Venetian scouting party came across a small village.

"We are soldiers from the city of Venice," the head scout announced. "We come in peace in search of trade opportunities."

The villagers panicked and the local elder prostrated himself before the Venetians crying; "please don't kill us, you can have our treasure!"

"Relax and stand up," replied the Venetian. "We seek only to trade for your gold."

"Gladly my lord, if you spare my life you can take our gold in exchange."

"I say again, relax. We have not come to take your lives, we would exchange the products of our city for your gold in a mutually beneficial relationship."

"What products would you have to trade?" asked a villager suspiciously.

"Well, we aren't actually producing anything right now and this military unit is all that Venice has, but in the future we will have stuff to sell."

The village elder stood up and looked at the Venetians confused. "So, you want to trade for our gold instead of just intimidating us into giving it up, but all you have to trade are your intimidating military?"

"Er..."

"If you take our money," suggested the village elder, "Would you just leave already?"

As the village faded into the distance behind the Venetians, a young soldier turned to one of his fellows and said "well, this hasn't been the best start."

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

It says it's my turn, but I can't load the game. It says I have no Hot Seat games to load