New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cloudbreak IC: Glimpse of the sky

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    "Dogs need fun. Pegasus skeet always fun. " shrugs Halftooth "I think some not like your go-fer pony too. He very noisy. Blasting him might make them happy."
    < Okay, first of all? Rude. >
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Dogs need fun. Pegasus skeet always fun. " shrugs Halftooth "I think some not like your go-fer pony too. He very noisy. Blasting him might make them happy."

What do you do?

[Remember, if you want a manipulate, you have to offer something with the roll]
    "I think you might be surprised by what my gofer can do. I promise you, whatever entertainment you get from shooting them, letting Scrapscallion get into trouble on his own is usually more fun."

(2d6+1)[6]
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    "I think you might be surprised by what my gofer can do. I promise you, whatever entertainment you get from shooting them, letting Scrapscallion get into trouble on his own is usually more fun."

[roll0]
    "Ah, we get you new go-fer, pretty pony!" replies Halftooth, smiling a broken grin. "We have many slaves you can pick from. I sure some are better than that one."

Scraps, the hellhounds on the cliff face all grin and raise laser rifles. You see yourself staring down four barrels of crispy death as the Pegasus frantically tries to backpedal her course. For a second, it all looks like it might be over for the dashing young colt of the wastes (that's you, by the way).

And then the roof of the cavern explodes.

Dust and dirt showers down upon the plateau. Dogs, ponies and alicorns all look upwards by reflex, their skeet shooting temporarily forgotten.

The roar of explosive, is pierced by a number of distinct, high pitched whines, moments before a veritable hail of bullets start flying. The orange blur of tracers, the buzz of near misses and the wet thud of lead slamming into the dirt. Dogs and ponies alike scream and start running for the exits.

Starlight. Through the dust you witness one of the hellhounds being riddled as twin streams of orange crisscross where he'd been standing. Before you can do much more, Halftooth has grabbed you close and is running for the exit while others in the pack either scatter or return fire.

"Run, dogs. Run!" he yells, shielding you with his body. Within moments, you're back in the tunnels, dogs and chained ponies running alongside you as you head deeper into the earth.

Scraps, your vantage point is slightly different, you can barely make out the stars above through the expanding ring of dust. The Pegasus wings upwards, deftly swooping amongst trails of bullets that appear to move out of her way, and avoids the sporadic laser fire from below. There's a brief moment when all is lost through the dust, before you're breathing clear air again.

"Red three, supressing fire. Package is clear." says a mechanical voice, as a bright light is swung in your face.

"Looks like we have an additional. Red two, secure him and start pulling back before they regroup."

A pair of acknowledgements come, as a large power-armoured pony pulls a bag over your head. You have time to register that the armour is painted with apple-red trims, and then everything is darkness, movement and bumps as the sounds of battle recede.

[End Scene]

[Balmas, Amish, feel free to make last posts before we timeskip.]

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, we get you new go-fer, pretty pony!" replies Halftooth, smiling a broken grin. "We have many slaves you can pick from. I sure some are better than that one."

Scraps, the hellhounds on the cliff face all grin and raise laser rifles. You see yourself staring down four barrels of crispy death as the Pegasus frantically tries to backpedal her course. For a second, it all looks like it might be over for the dashing young colt of the wastes (that's you, by the way).

And then the roof of the cavern explodes.

Dust and dirt showers down upon the plateau. Dogs, ponies and alicorns all look upwards by reflex, their skeet shooting temporarily forgotten.

The roar of explosive, is pierced by a number of distinct, high pitched whines, moments before a veritable hail of bullets start flying. The orange blur of tracers, the buzz of near misses and the wet thud of lead slamming into the dirt. Dogs and ponies alike scream and start running for the exits.

Starlight. Through the dust you witness one of the hellhounds being riddled as twin streams of orange crisscross where he'd been standing. Before you can do much more, Halftooth has grabbed you close and is running for the exit while others in the pack either scatter or return fire.

"Run, dogs. Run!" he yells, shielding you with his body. Within moments, you're back in the tunnels, dogs and chained ponies running alongside you as you head deeper into the earth.

Scraps, your vantage point is slightly different, you can barely make out the stars above through the expanding ring of dust. The Pegasus wings upwards, deftly swooping amongst trails of bullets that appear to move out of her way, and avoids the sporadic laser fire from below. There's a brief moment when all is lost through the dust, before you're breathing clear air again.

"Red three, supressing fire. Package is clear." says a mechanical voice, as a bright light is swung in your face.

"Looks like we have an additional. Red two, secure him and start pulling back before they regroup."

A pair of acknowledgements come, as a large power-armoured pony pulls a bag over your head. You have time to register that the armour is painted with apple-red trims, and then everything is darkness, movement and bumps as the sounds of battle recede.

[End Scene]

[Balmas, Amish, feel free to make last posts before we timeskip.]
    ...and it's as easy as that!

"See?" Scraps said to the pegasus as they yanked the bag over his head. "Told ya we'd get out alright."

To this day, science has no explanation as to how a pony can wink through a bag. And yet, that is exactly what the Scrapscallion did.

5. - Top - End - #1295

"Scraps!"

Oh, what joy. It turns out, even a sentient pile of goo can manage to scream herself hoarse. And she does so, pounding on Halftooth's shoulders with limp, splashy hooves, kicking, cursing, screaming because her son is being killed and somebody is going to die.

Ooooh, yes. Luminark is going to get it, but first? She has some new tin cans to fry.
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Colossus in the Playground

A boy sat in the sunshine and played fetch with his dog.

A pink salmon glow lit up around a dry wooden stick, picked from the shattered carcass of a tree still smouldering with Baelfire from the war. It hefted it, spun it, made sure that those mismatched eyes - one beautiful, one not - were firmly locked on the stick. Then a low, lazy throw into the air.

A thunderbolt left the earth and carved a new ravine into the face of the mountain.

"Miss," said Luminark, marking a single tally line on the wrong side of the ledger.
    "Awugh!" groaned the amalgamation of metal and dead flesh in a voice that was almost frighteningly normal for a small female pony. "Lightning is hard!"
    "Just use that pegasus brain I got you," said Luminark patiently.
    "Pegasus brains are dumb!" complained the nightmare. "It's all 'fly! Fly! Wash self in fountain! Puff out chest feathers! Do dance!' Only Dog brains are smart."

On this point Luminark's dog had never budged.

Fluffy Clouds had grown up a lot from when she was a puppy. Luminark's dog had been his best friend since he was a little foal and when she had died his moms used the opportunity to teach him about death. Or, specifically, how to spit in death's face and rob her of her prize.

"Try it again," said Luminark, making capturing Fluffy's attention with another firmly hefted stick. Of course, Fluffy hadn't had a dog brain in some years now. She'd been running on Pony hardware for some time - but the bound ghost that empowered this whole monstrosity was very firmly a dog, and honestly kind of an opinionated one. She was the ghost of an old dog with the brain of a young pegasus. Old dogs developed a kind of deep cunning wherin they knew all of The Rules and could even perceive when their masters were breaking The Rules and hold it against them. The young pegasus brain had Fluffy Clouds scattered and preening and indolent and kind of teenagery.

Luminark threw the stick.

"Mrrrrrrrgh," Fluffy snarled.
    "Miss," said Luminark.
    "I don't get it!" said Fluffy.
    "Come here, let me look at your eyes," said Luminark. He'd spent the past month working on Fluffy almost full time. He'd always worked on her in his spare time - some ponies painted tiny figurines, he did necrosurgery - but this was the longest time he'd spent focused on her since she first died. He'd kind of gone overboard a bit but it had kept his mind busy and away from dwelling on getting fired from the most...

He sighed.

It really was a pretty eye.

And it had been the one thing he couldn't quite bring himself to replace when upgrading everything else.

"How would you like an extra pair of eyes?" he asked Fluffy eventually.
    "Oh! Yes please! Can I get them in the back of my head so that when ponies try to sneak up on me I can be like RAGH" said Fluffy delightedly.
    "I was kind of thinking eyestalks," said Luminark. "I've got some Beholder bits. I'll wire them into your neck nerves. I don't know which eye rays they'll get you, we'll test that out later."

It was a simple and wholesome afternoon. Peaceful. It felt like a vacation for a pony who hadn't ever had a vacation.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-03-29 at 08:52 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ettin in the Playground

[Session Start]

A month passes, with each of you busy in your own ways. Whether upgrading your faithful deathbot, cataloguing the ether, bamboozling steel rangers or walking the subterranean streets of a deathclaw village, the time passes quickly.

Eventually, the day of the trade summit rolls around. Invites have been distributed, through the tried and tested method of sending out a swarm of floating sprite bots (the bunker had some pre-war ones in storage) with messages advertising the time and location for the meeting. Delgates have begun to arrive from the surrounding regions - ponies and griffons of all sorts and sizes. Some wear weaponry, clearly having seen combat before, other come clad in robes, pre-war finery (showing its age) and many in what can generously be termed "wasteland chic".

They start to congregate at the Bunker's entrance as the appointed hour rolls around.

Luminark and Millway - what are you both doing as the summit arrives? Administrator, what is the plan?

Meanwhile, far away, the diamond dogs bring a mangled sprite-bot to the tribe's chief, it's message still broadcasting weakly. Starlight what do you do?

Finally, in Stable 29, Scraps, your peaceful repose is broken by a ranger initiate coming to … well "summon" is pretty strong, more like "request because they know you'll just go do your own thing" your presence at the Overmare's office for a meeting. What do you do?

8. - Top - End - #1298

I shove past Twofeather and glom onto the spritebot. "Well done, well done. Now, if somebody would care to bring me a screwdriver, I'll have this working in a jiffy."

9. - Top - End - #1299

Luminark and Millway - what are you both doing as the summit arrives? Administrator, what is the plan?
    This is the equivalent of inviting all your neighbours over for tea and cookies.

It's impossible to decide on any sort of realistic foreign policy without any idea of who your neighbours are. Are we talking army of giant mutant alicorns? All consuming gambling themed robot army? Remnants of some sort of xenophobic Pegasus society? Raider army? Luminark had no idea. He had been on the outside a few times but his focus had always been on salvage and recovery, not getting to know the locals. This was his attempt to create a bit of a map and see what tone should be taken.

There were precedents in history. Every so often a country would emerge from a thousand year shadowy curse or whatever and need to fit itself into what had previously been a stable equilibrium. In Luminark's studies the most historically successful approach was to maintain a guarded, aloof curiosity, keeping it very clear that he had the option of packing his ponies up and going back underground for another couple of decades if they didn't like the world on offer. It would have been nice to have a sorcerous arsenal on hoof to intimidate the locals but as it was he'd have to do with Fluffy as his primary muscle.

He's also looking to meet one on one with various representatives. Last thing he wants is arguing ambassadors in front of him. Not a big imperial ceremony, more like a sequence of tea parties for the post apocalypse.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Titan in the Playground

Milliway. Let’s pluck an evening out of this month, an evening like many others.

The day was long. Had you been an iota less brilliant, the day would be impossibly long, and you would be possibly dead. Or worse. The Library is not a merciful mistress. Bit by bit, you mastered your lessons, and bit by bit, you coaxed the stacks into your vision of order. Bitter work, but at least you were not alone. The Archmage is always a few steps away from any hardworking pony in her library. Always. As the day wound to a close, you stepped away from your boss’ presence and into your new room. Not quite so big as your old lab, but nice. Comfy. Hard-won.

And you were not yet alone.

A faded image of a pony stood in your room. Tall. Rugged. Black leather jacket over his shoulders. Brighter coat than you remember. (Do you even remember what he looked like, before that day?) Back turned to you. Standing in front of the shelf where you keep that crumpled keepsake of yours. You know the one.

Before the shock of unexpected company could hit you, he was gone. Like he’d never been there. Nothing had been touched. No signs of intrusion. Your scanners came back negative. Magical scanners came back negative. No proof any pony had been in your rooms, save for a flash of red flitting through your memories. Maybe just the product of an overtaxed mind. Maybe.

Meanwhile, a hundred miles away, sleeping sound in a Vault of his own, the Scrapscallion shivered...

"Scraps!"

Oh, what joy. It turns out, even a sentient pile of goo can manage to scream herself hoarse. And she does so, pounding on Halftooth's shoulders with limp, splashy hooves, kicking, cursing, screaming because her son is being killed and somebody is going to die.

Ooooh, yes. Luminark is going to get it, but first? She has some new tin cans to fry.
    Spoiler: Narrator Voice:
    Show

<-over hundreds and hundreds of years, and nopony thought about making water more fun?! It's so obvious! It's, like, only the boringest and drinkeverydayinest drink of them all.>

Scraps toasted his glass of Superior Bubbly Fun Water to a passing patrol. "How's it hangin', tin-mares?"

<I try to tell them, but they're all like 'the Nuka-Cola machine's been broken for years' and 'water conservation is important' and 'this was a classified meeting how did you even get in here.' Sheesh. Some ponies don't know how good they've got it. When we get back, you should totally set one of these bad boys up.>

[Session Start]

Finally, in Stable 29, Scraps, your peaceful repose is broken by a ranger initiate coming to … well "summon" is pretty strong, more like "request because they know you'll just go do your own thing" your presence at the Overmare's office for a meeting. What do you do?
    <Oop, gotta run. Duty calls.>

Guzzling down the last of his drink - and taking care to stash the tiny umbrella for future drinks - the Scrapscallion smacked his lips and stretched lazily. "Well, I'm gonna have to postpone my 11-oh-hundred-hours nap, but for you? I'll do it."

Wink!
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2019-04-18 at 04:37 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    This is the equivalent of inviting all your neighbours over for tea and cookies.

It's impossible to decide on any sort of realistic foreign policy without any idea of who your neighbours are. Are we talking army of giant mutant alicorns? All consuming gambling themed robot army? Remnants of some sort of xenophobic Pegasus society? Raider army? Luminark had no idea. He had been on the outside a few times but his focus had always been on salvage and recovery, not getting to know the locals. This was his attempt to create a bit of a map and see what tone should be taken.

There were precedents in history. Every so often a country would emerge from a thousand year shadowy curse or whatever and need to fit itself into what had previously been a stable equilibrium. In Luminark's studies the most historically successful approach was to maintain a guarded, aloof curiosity, keeping it very clear that he had the option of packing his ponies up and going back underground for another couple of decades if they didn't like the world on offer. It would have been nice to have a sorcerous arsenal on hoof to intimidate the locals but as it was he'd have to do with Fluffy as his primary muscle.

He's also looking to meet one on one with various representatives. Last thing he wants is arguing ambassadors in front of him. Not a big imperial ceremony, more like a sequence of tea parties for the post apocalypse.
    Well, to answer your initial question ... yes.

The area in front of the Bunker has been cleared and is a hustle and bustle of all sorts of characters. Mostly earth ponies, but some unicorns, some griffons even an alicorn or two. They mill about the assembled tables, pulling up chairs and looking dubiously at the assembled tea sets.

As to who to talk to, did you want to read a sitch?

I shove past Twofeather and glom onto the spritebot. "Well done, well done. Now, if somebody would care to bring me a screwdriver, I'll have this working in a jiffy."
    One of the Hellhounds, Big Fido, pushes you away. His bulging muscles, a reminder of their strength.

"Not for you, pony. For chief." he snarls.

What do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    <Oop, gotta run. Duty calls.>

Guzzling down the last of his drink - and taking care to stash the tiny umbrella for future drinks - the Scrapscallion smacked his lips and stretched lazily. "Well, I'm gonna have to postpone my 11-oh-hundred-hours nap, but for you? I'll do it."

Wink!
    The initiate smiles shyly at your wink, leads you out of the mess hall and down the corridor to the overmare's office. Paladin Cross is there, maps spread out on the table in front of her, while the Pegasus lounges by the wall. Two more rangers are at the table and one, Helping Hooves, gives you a glare as you sit down.

"Thankyou for joining us, Scrapscallion." continues Paladin Cross. "I asked you here because I had two questions I wanted to ask you. The first being, were you still looking for a pony called "Dirt""?

What do you say?

12. - Top - End - #1302

Spoiler: Narrator Voice:
    Show

<-over hundreds and hundreds of years, and nopony thought about making water more fun?! It's so obvious! It's, like, only the boringest and drinkeverydayinest drink of them all.>

Scraps toasted his glass of Superior Bubbly Fun Water to a passing patrol. "How's it hangin', tin-mares?"

<I try to tell them, but they're all like 'the Nuka-Cola machine's been broken for years' and 'water conservation is important' and 'this was a classified meeting how did you even get in here.' Sheesh. Some ponies don't know how good they've got it. When we get back, you should totally set one of these bad boys up.>
    <I'll remember to program it into the fabricators, along with 'olive onnastick' and 'tiny pickled sausages.' Now do be careful; if you die, I'll be rather upset with you.>

One of the Hellhounds, Big Fido, pushes you away. His bulging muscles, a reminder of their strength.

"Not for you, pony. For chief." he snarls.

What do you do?
    I roll my eyes. "Get a load of Fido here. Thinks that darling Halftooth can't defend himself if he wants to. Does he know you think of him like that? Don't answer that, I'm sure we all can figure it out."

I float the spritebot around Fido and pointedly turn my back. "Besides. You want to listen to this thing, don't you? And much as I may be fond of your adorable pack, I think I might know a little bit more about spritebots than you do, because I invented them! Now be a dear, and fetch me the screwdriver, because if you make me find it on my own, I'll come back and shove it so far up under your tail that you'll be able to clean your disgustingly foul teeth with it."

[Go Aggro: [8]]
    Last edited by Balmas; 2019-04-23 at 07:03 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1303

Well, to answer your initial question ... yes.

The area in front of the Bunker has been cleared and is a hustle and bustle of all sorts of characters. Mostly earth ponies, but some unicorns, some griffons even an alicorn or two. They mill about the assembled tables, pulling up chairs and looking dubiously at the assembled tea sets.

As to who to talk to, did you want to read a sitch?
    Rolled a 3, come at me bro.

One anyway: What should I be on the lookout for?
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-04-22 at 09:53 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Ogre in the Playground

Milliway hesitates a little as she sets tentative hooves outside the bunker. It wasn't her first time out here but it's far from something she was used to and the last time she set hoof out here it ended in disaster.

She scans the crowds of ponies and assorted creatures that have arrived with a newfound curiosity. So many. They must have so much knowledge. She spots Luminark in the crowd and her ears prick up. She certainly planned on intercepting him, that is the whole entire reason why she is here after all. She was a busy pony, social gatherings were not something she had time for. Still, perhaps one or two ponies wouldn't hurt to talk to, perhaps over some cake. For purely academic purposes, of course.

As Milliway watched the gathering take shape she trotted casually in Luminark's direction. The wind felt good in her mane, and the sunlight made the new silver strands in it shine and sparkle. She was still a heavily augmented pony but she had shed her armour and her mask. Her face had only subtle scars remaining and she'd grown her mane and tail out, they were long enough to touch the ground. She wore a new pair of glasses which, considering she had a mechanical eye still, was surely completely unnecessary.
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

"Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time."
    ~ Snow Patrol

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Titan in the Playground

The initiate smiles shyly at your wink, leads you out of the mess hall and down the corridor to the overmare's office. Paladin Cross is there, maps spread out on the table in front of her, while the Pegasus lounges by the wall. Two more rangers are at the table and one, Helping Hooves, gives you a glare as you sit down.

"Thank you for joining us, Scrapscallion." continues Paladin Cross. "I asked you here because I had two questions I wanted to ask you. The first being, were you still looking for a pony called "Dirt""?

What do you say?
    Dirt?

Now that's a name he hadn't heard for a long, long time. Like, at least a month.

...come to think of it, he hadn't spoken that name for a long, long time. Like, at least a month.

Hrmmm. The plot thickens...

The Scrapscallion took his sweet time getting settled, studying the mare across the table cool as you please. About time they threw a real challenge his way.

[Rolling to Read a Pony: 6 + 3 + 1 = 10 Let's start off with "What does Paladin Cross intend to do?", holding 2]

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Ettin in the Playground

Rolled a 3, come at me bro.

One anyway: What should I be on the lookout for?
    Well, today is a good day for a coup. You have at least three factions gunning for your Administratorship amongst the various departments and the Disturbance Prevention Squad. Chances are at least one or all three will be making their move today.

Also, your tea smells faintly of almonds.

What do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    Milliway hesitates a little as she sets tentative hooves outside the bunker. It wasn't her first time out here but it's far from something she was used to and the last time she set hoof out here it ended in disaster.

She scans the crowds of ponies and assorted creatures that have arrived with a newfound curiosity. So many. They must have so much knowledge. She spots Luminark in the crowd and her ears prick up. She certainly planned on intercepting him, that is the whole entire reason why she is here after all. She was a busy pony, social gatherings were not something she had time for. Still, perhaps one or two ponies wouldn't hurt to talk to, perhaps over some cake. For purely academic purposes, of course.

As Milliway watched the gathering take shape she trotted casually in Luminark's direction. The wind felt good in her mane, and the sunlight made the new silver strands in it shine and sparkle. She was still a heavily augmented pony but she had shed her armour and her mask. Her face had only subtle scars remaining and she'd grown her mane and tail out, they were long enough to touch the ground. She wore a new pair of glasses which, considering she had a mechanical eye still, was surely completely unnecessary.
    As you emerge once more into the sunlight, you spot ponies (and other creatures) both familiar and alien.

Luminark is there, as is Laughing Gas. Neither has spotted you.

Did you want to read a sitch as well? Or is there something you want to do first?

Dirt?

Now that's a name he hadn't heard for a long, long time. Like, at least a month.

...come to think of it, he hadn't spoken that name for a long, long time. Like, at least a month.

Hrmmm. The plot thickens...

The Scrapscallion took his sweet time getting settled, studying the mare across the table cool as you please. About time they threw a real challenge his way.

[Rolling to Read a Pony: 6 + 3 + 1 = 10 Let's start off with "What does Paladin Cross intend to do?", holding 2]
    Well, she intends to make you a bargain. Your reputation at getting into the old world precedes you after all.

You haven't responded to her query though, and she looks at you expectantly.

What do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas
    I roll my eyes. "Get a load of Fido here. Thinks that darling Halftooth can't defend himself if he wants to. Does he know you think of him like that? Don't answer that, I'm sure we all can figure it out."

I float the spritebot around Fido and pointedly turn my back. "Besides. You want to listen to this thing, don't you? And much as I may be fond of your adorable pack, I think I might know a little bit more about spritebots than you do, because I invented them! Now be a dear, and fetch me the screwdriver, because if you make me find it on my own, I'll come back and shove it so far up under your tail that you'll be able to clean your disgustingly foul teeth with it."

[Go Aggro: [8]]
    The diamond dog growls at you, clearly disrespectful of your request but at the same time cowed enough to slink off and find the screwdriver, which he tosses at the ground in front of you.

Others from the pack crowd around, watching. While the sprite bot sits lifeless in front of you.

What do you do? The bot might be inoperable, but its data may be salvageable. (Give me a 'read a spritebot' roll if you want to go down that path)

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Ogre in the Playground

As you emerge once more into the sunlight, you spot ponies (and other creatures) both familiar and alien.

Luminark is there, as is Laughing Gas. Neither has spotted you.

Did you want to read a sitch as well? Or is there something you want to do first?
    Yes. She does have a job here to do but it's always prudent to get a feel for what's going on around you.

[Rolling Read A Sitch: 3+1=4 Ouch. Asking 1 anyway: What should I be on the lookout for?]
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

18. - Top - End - #1308

Well, today is a good day for a coup. You have at least three factions gunning for your Administratorship amongst the various departments and the Disturbance Prevention Squad. Chances are at least one or all three will be making their move today.

Also, your tea smells faintly of almonds.

What do you do?
    Luminark is as surprised as anypony at his reaction when he notices his tea has been poisoned. His tea has been poisoned! That's wonderful!

The thought unwraps in his brain. It's such a... a civilized assassination attempt. It's a natural part of the game of politics going all the way back to Blueblood I. All of the books he's read about ancient unicorn political games involved poisoned tea and the elaborate social games that get played around it. And he's finally got a chance to act out one of the coolest scenes in unicorn history, the Ascension of Sir Fancy Pants.

Luminark raises the tea to his lips, and then seems to get distracted at the last minute and walks over to talk to the Alicorn ambassador. Throughout that conversation he constantly goes to take a sip and then takes his lips away at the last minute. It's a yo-yo of anticipation, timed almost like a comedy - constantly on the verge of drinking the poison but veering away at the last second. The idea is to drive the assassin wild with will-he won't-he games.

"Hello, miss, and welcome to the Ministry of Arcane Sciences," he said chirpily to the Alicorn. "I see you're already acquainted with one of our sister branches, as a staff member or as a guest?"

[Manipulate: 8. I want the pony trying to kill me to blow their cover, the reason is a spiral of infuriating fake-outs.]

19. - Top - End - #1309

The diamond dog growls at you, clearly disrespectful of your request but at the same time cowed enough to slink off and find the screwdriver, which he tosses at the ground in front of you.

Others from the pack crowd around, watching. While the sprite bot sits lifeless in front of you.

What do you do? The bot might be inoperable, but its data may be salvageable. (Give me a 'read a spritebot' roll if you want to go down that path)
    Well, it may surprise you to know, but I have, in fact, been in an environment full of scientists for the past two hundred years. I have science imprinted in my bones and soul. (Thanks, Ooky Spooky.) I think I can manage to make this spritebot sing.

See, it was broadcasting faintly when it came in, right? So, it could be a number of things. Could be the battery is just now giving up the ghost, could be the speaker system is shot. Worse comes to worse, I'll strip out the hard drive and cobble together a terminal so we can hear what it has to say.

[Read a Spritebot: 6,5,+2. 13. So, are we treating this like read a person? Things Speak? How's this work?]

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Titan in the Playground

Well, she intends to make you a bargain. Your reputation at getting into the old world precedes you after all.
    Guilty as charged.~

The Scrapscallion can't even get incidentally kidnapped without getting recognized. Such is the curse of famously rugged good looks...

You haven't responded to her query though, and she looks at you expectantly.

What do you do?
    What does he do? He starts the game off with a full house.

A full house of trump cards.

"Am I still looking? That all depends..." He cocked a knowing eyebrow at the Paladin. "...if I've found the ponies keeping her."

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hello, miss, and welcome to the Ministry of Arcane Sciences," he said chirpily to the Alicorn. "I see you're already acquainted with one of our sister branches, as a staff member or as a guest?"

[Manipulate: 8. I want the pony trying to kill me to blow their cover, the reason is a spiral of infuriating fake-outs.]
    "We are of the Unity." replies the Alicorn, before pausing. "Or ... I ... was. We now support the Lightbringer and those who follow the Apocalypse."

Luminark, there are a number of ponies watching you, but whether of curiosity or ill intent it's hard to say.

You'll need to offer them something concrete before they'll tip their hooves.

I'm not sure what that entails though? Surely a sip can't be too bad?

Well, it may surprise you to know, but I have, in fact, been in an environment full of scientists for the past two hundred years. I have science imprinted in my bones and soul. (Thanks, Ooky Spooky.) I think I can manage to make this spritebot sing.

See, it was broadcasting faintly when it came in, right? So, it could be a number of things. Could be the battery is just now giving up the ghost, could be the speaker system is shot. Worse comes to worse, I'll strip out the hard drive and cobble together a terminal so we can hear what it has to say.

[Read a Spritebot: 6,5,+2. 13. So, are we treating this like read a person? Things Speak? How's this work?]
    Treat it like reading a pony, but with the answers likely to come from having read its memory banks.

Guilty as charged.~

The Scrapscallion can't even get incidentally kidnapped without getting recognized. Such is the curse of famously rugged good looks...

What does he do? He starts the game off with a full house.

A full house of trump cards.

"Am I still looking? That all depends..." He cocked a knowing eyebrow at the Paladin. "...if I've found the ponies keeping her."
    "No." replies the Paladin, levelly.

"But we have."

What do you do?

Yes. She does have a job here to do but it's always prudent to get a feel for what's going on around you.

[Rolling Read A Sitch: 3+1=4 Ouch. Asking 1 anyway: What should I be on the lookout for?]
    Ooh, two failed rolls on one scene! It's like Hearth's Warming came early.

Anyway.

Have you ever had that feeling like you've just walked back into the party right after somepony has laid down an epic punchline? The fading laughter, those slightly awkward looks when you ask what's going on. Those eyes, those knowing eyes, that now a secret you're not privy to.

It's kind of like that with every Bunker pony you see. None had been expecting you to emerge today.

Except. Some of them are looking at you slightly differently. Like you might also be the spanner in their works.

"Lieutenant - or should we address you as something different given your new station?"

It's Doc Kleiner, walking up to you with two other members of the Physics department in tow.

"We haven't seen you in nearly a month! What brings you out today?"

What do you do?

22. - Top - End - #1312

Treat it like reading a pony, but with the answers likely to come from having read its memory banks.
    Well, that's three counts of "Any question I want," thanks to having upgraded Read a Person. So, let's start by boosting the gain on those speakers so we can, as promised, make this spritebot sing out its message for all to hear.

23. - Top - End - #1313

"We are of the Unity." replies the Alicorn, before pausing. "Or ... I ... was. We now support the Lightbringer and those who follow the Apocalypse."

Luminark, there are a number of ponies watching you, but whether of curiosity or ill intent it's hard to say.

You'll need to offer them something concrete before they'll tip their hooves.

I'm not sure what that entails though? Surely a sip can't be too bad?
    "That is an awfully large number of proper nouns there, my lady," said Luminark. He'd lost a little interest, it was clear that this wasn't the pony in charge here. "We in the Ministry of Arcane Sciences have been underground for a very long time and don't know who any of those ponies are."

He thinks about sipping the poison and then immediately realizes that's a stupid idea. It's poison, idiot. The point is to deal with this gracefully, not coughing up blood on the floor. No, the proper response is to engineer a spill that makes it look like he took a sip. A slight of hoof and a tiny little bit of illusion magic. Elegant.

[Acting under fire, I presume? 8]

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Titan in the Playground

"No." replies the Paladin, levelly.

"But we have."

What do you do?
    "Then my looking is almost done, and the rescuing can almost begin." The Scrapscallion carried on without missing a beat. "Who're the perps? What's their game?"

[Gonna be spending another hold: Is Paladin Cross telling the truth? Holding 1]

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooh, two failed rolls on one scene! It's like Hearth's Warming came early.

Anyway.

Have you ever had that feeling like you've just walked back into the party right after somepony has laid down an epic punchline? The fading laughter, those slightly awkward looks when you ask what's going on. Those eyes, those knowing eyes, that now a secret you're not privy to.

It's kind of like that with every Bunker pony you see. None had been expecting you to emerge today.

Except. Some of them are looking at you slightly differently. Like you might also be the spanner in their works.

"Lieutenant - or should we address you as something different given your new station?"

It's Doc Kleiner, walking up to you with two other members of the Physics department in tow.

"We haven't seen you in nearly a month! What brings you out today?"

What do you do?
    Milliway immediately missed the library. This was worse than school with everypony staring and whispering and nudging and looking at each other with significant looks.

"I don't recall being stripped off my rank," Milliway said a little defensively. "But you can call me Librarian Milliway if you prefer, it's equally correct."

She composed herself once more and raised her head proud, not at all the way Luminark always had when declaring his Library duties.

"I am here, to issue a Reminder Notice." Milliway said, as if it was an arrest warrant.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, that's three counts of "Any question I want," thanks to having upgraded Read a Person. So, let's start by boosting the gain on those speakers so we can, as promised, make this spritebot sing out its message for all to hear.
    Very well. The speakers crackle to life.

Luminark, you sent these things out. What did your invites say?

"That is an awfully large number of proper nouns there, my lady," said Luminark. He'd lost a little interest, it was clear that this wasn't the pony in charge here. "We in the Ministry of Arcane Sciences have been underground for a very long time and don't know who any of those ponies are."

He thinks about sipping the poison and then immediately realizes that's a stupid idea. It's poison, idiot. The point is to deal with this gracefully, not coughing up blood on the floor. No, the proper response is to engineer a spill that makes it look like he took a sip. A slight of hoof and a tiny little bit of illusion magic. Elegant.

[Acting under fire, I presume? 8]
    "Oh! Watch out!" says the alicorn.

As you "stumble" with your cup, her horn lights up in time with yours.

You find that her magic is actually working to counteract your own. A misguided, but polite, attempt to keep your tea from spilling.

For now, your magics are in balance. You can let her "help" you, at which point you'll probably be facing a toast from her and a social expectation to drink.

Or you can force your magic over hers, equivalent of pushing your rescuer out of the way rudely. But it might lead to a poor first impression with this emissary.

What do you do?

"Then my looking is almost done, and the rescuing can almost begin." The Scrapscallion carried on without missing a beat. "Who're the perps? What's their game?"

[Gonna be spending another hold: Is Paladin Cross telling the truth? Holding 1]
    Paladin Cross is many things; hard, no-nonsense, kind of cute ... but one thing that she isn't is a liar. These ponies revere the element of Honesty after all, and they're almost as goody-two-horseshoes as yourself!

No, she's telling the truth.

"We think they're remnants of the Pegasus Enclave. They've been cropping up in different spots across the wasteland since the cloud-cover has been broken. We intercepted a transmission coming from an old prison they're using as a base nearby, talking about transferring some prisoners, including this Dirt pony."

"I'm not sure what they're game is, but we're not going to play it nicely. My forces and I are planning to stage a raid on the prison, but given your connection, we wanted to know if you wanted to be involved?"

Milliway immediately missed the library. This was worse than school with everypony staring and whispering and nudging and looking at each other with significant looks.

"I don't recall being stripped off my rank," Milliway said a little defensively. "But you can call me Librarian Milliway if you prefer, it's equally correct."

She composed herself once more and raised her head proud, not at all the way Luminark always had when declaring his Library duties.

"I am here, to issue a Reminder Notice." Milliway said, as if it was an arrest warrant.
    The ponies exchange a look.

"What does that entail?" asks Doc Kliener "Librarian?"

"And who are you looking for?" he adds.

What do you do?

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Titan in the Playground

Paladin Cross is many things; hard, no-nonsense, kind of cute
    And don't think the Scrapscallion doesn't appreciate that. But we're going to put "kind of cute" on hold until we've played our chances with "smokin' hot", ya get me?

... but one thing that she isn't is a liar. These ponies revere the element of Honesty after all, and they're almost as goody-two-horseshoes as yourself!

No, she's telling the truth.
    Well that makes this a lot easier! Good to know which parts of the job are going to be the interesting bits.

Not that the Scraps can't tango with the best of them, of course, but no need to wear out his dancing hooves on this slow waltz. Gives him a breather before he has to escape the soc hop by midnight without messing up his suit or spoiling it with his date.

...what were we talking about again?

"We think they're remnants of the Pegasus Enclave. They've been cropping up in different spots across the wasteland since the cloud-cover has been broken. We intercepted a transmission coming from an old prison they're using as a base nearby, talking about transferring some prisoners, including this Dirt pony."

"I'm not sure what they're game is, but we're not going to play it nicely. My forces and I are planning to stage a raid on the prison, but given your connection, we wanted to know if you wanted to be involved?"
    Oh, right.

"Ahhhh, those punks. I knew it'd be too much to hope they'd hightailed it out of here with the clouds." Plus side; this opened up all sorts of exciting chase scene opportunities. Pegasi strafing runs? Losing them in the twisted skeletons of old skyscrapers? Outracing the wind? Good times. "If we're all headed down the same road, no reason we can't ride together. I'm aiming to get in, get Dirt, and get out with both of us in one piece, but if I can hit some big red buttons for you on the way, I think that can be arranged."

"Of course..." He added. "If I had a pegasus with me, that'd sure make my life a heck of a lot easier. Hard to go undercover when you don't have wings." He eyed the pegasus meaningfully.

28. - Top - End - #1318

"- what do you mean, I should give a message? Just tell the ponies the location and date, I don't have time for - we're live? Then make it not live! Damn it, Fluffy Clouds - Um, hello. I am Luminark, the," long sigh, "administrator of the Ministry of Arcane Sciences. We understand that the ponies of the wasteland have decided to move on from endless brutality so this seems as good a moment as any for the Ministry to re-join Equestria. To this end I am holding a tea party two weeks from now where we can meet and discuss this strange new sunny weather we're having. I'm not going to ask you come unarmed, but delegations of three maximum and ideally fellow scientists - or ponies who can read. Please don't give us any surprises, our words are backed with arcane weapons."

"Oh! Watch out!" says the alicorn.

As you "stumble" with your cup, her horn lights up in time with yours.

You find that her magic is actually working to counteract your own. A misguided, but polite, attempt to keep your tea from spilling.

For now, your magics are in balance. You can let her "help" you, at which point you'll probably be facing a toast from her and a social expectation to drink.

Or you can force your magic over hers, equivalent of pushing your rescuer out of the way rudely. But it might lead to a poor first impression with this emissary.

What do you do?
    Oh, killed by politeness! Truly the most aristocratic way to die! The social game - brought to its end - alas!

Luminark was amazed how much he loved that exchange. He released his grip and let her steady his tea, smiling brightly. He was in more danger than ever but this was the first time he'd ever enjoyed the sense of danger. He was having fun! He wasn't quaking, his mind wasn't racing - he was cheerfully and gleefully following the logic like it was a twist in a romance novel. How wonderful!

"Thank you, my lady, for your adroit rescue!" he said, warming to the role and breaking out in a warm smile. "And you know what? Such a fortuitous meeting with such a charming guest needs more than mere tea to mark it! I can do one better!" He flicks the tea casually from his cup - and levitated a small flask from under his robes. "This is the finest whisky from Equestria Before, kept for over two hundred years. Would you care to try some?"

His eyes smoothly ran over the crowd, looking for the facehoof.

[Spending 1-barter to 10+ a manipulate roll, 0 barter remaining]
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2019-05-05 at 10:14 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1319

"- what do you mean, I should give a message? Just tell the ponies the location and date, I don't have time for - we're live? Then make it not live! Damn it, Fluffy Clouds - Um, hello. I am Luminark, the," long sigh, "administrator of the Ministry of Arcane Sciences. We understand that the ponies of the wasteland have decided to move on from endless brutality so this seems as good a moment as any for the Ministry to re-join Equestria. To this end I am holding a tea party two weeks from now where we can meet and discuss this strange new sunny weather we're having. I'm not going to ask you come unarmed, but delegations of three maximum and ideally fellow scientists - or ponies who can read. Please don't give us any surprises, our words are backed with arcane weapons."
    Starlight stares into the distance, an icy mask settling into plastic features.

<That little pile of yak crap. He can't! He'll ruin everything!>

Okay. Not a problem. Little problem. Maybe a tiny problem, big problem. She reaches in and starts to rearrange the spritebots's guts. Power down the speakers, redirect to thrusters, scrabble for screwdriver, mount it underbarrel. Gems. Dammit, where are the gems. Need gems for the focus. Can make do without gems, but not in a cave with a pile of scraps.
    [Spending hold 2 What does this thing require so I can turn it into an assassin-bot?]

And she stands up. "As promised. Now, excuse me." And she and the spritebot trot off towards Half-tooth's cave entrance.

"Halftooth, dearie, you'll never guess what I found today. Listen to this." When the spritebotg finished off, she smiled and wound herself anaconda-like around Half-tooth's side. "That's an open invitation into my former home. Obviously, you have tunnels that go there, but this? We can go there openly." And oh, how sweet it will be to see the look on Luminark's stupid face.

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Ettin in the Playground

"Ahhhh, those punks. I knew it'd be too much to hope they'd hightailed it out of here with the clouds." Plus side; this opened up all sorts of exciting chase scene opportunities. Pegasi strafing runs? Losing them in the twisted skeletons of old skyscrapers? Outracing the wind? Good times. "If we're all headed down the same road, no reason we can't ride together. I'm aiming to get in, get Dirt, and get out with both of us in one piece, but if I can hit some big red buttons for you on the way, I think that can be arranged."

"Of course..." He added. "If I had a pegasus with me, that'd sure make my life a heck of a lot easier. Hard to go undercover when you don't have wings." He eyed the pegasus meaningfully.
    "She's already been contracted to assist in the operation" replied Paladin Cross, who pauses.

"We'd originally planned this as a frontal assault, but the more subtle approach that you're suggesting sounds interesting."

"Either way, we have one objective beyond breaking out the prisoners, and that is to obtain some intel as to what the Enclave is doing in the wastelands. Less "big red button" mashing and more downloading from a terminal."

"So, can we count on your support in this?"

What do you do?

"Thank you, my lady, for your adroit rescue!" he said, warming to the role and breaking out in a warm smile. "And you know what? Such a fortuitous meeting with such a charming guest needs more than mere tea to mark it! I can do one better!" He flicks the tea casually from his cup - and levitated a small flask from under his robes. "This is the finest whisky from Equestria Before, kept for over two hundred years. Would you care to try some?"

His eyes smoothly ran over the crowd, looking for the facehoof.

[Spending 1-barter to 10+ a manipulate roll, 0 barter remaining]
    There were two, in fact. Both Big Bang and Beaker jointly face-hoofed at your proclamation.

However, a bunch of ponies start to crowd around you and you soon lose sight of them in the melange. You also recognise a few of the faces as other members of the Bunker's population, while a few others are the more educated of the wastelands (i.e. those who know what a "whisky" is).

What do you do?

Starlight stares into the distance, an icy mask settling into plastic features.

<That little pile of yak crap. He can't! He'll ruin everything!>

Okay. Not a problem. Little problem. Maybe a tiny problem, big problem. She reaches in and starts to rearrange the spritebots's guts. Power down the speakers, redirect to thrusters, scrabble for screwdriver, mount it underbarrel. Gems. Dammit, where are the gems. Need gems for the focus. Can make do without gems, but not in a cave with a pile of scraps.
    [Spending hold 2 What does this thing require so I can turn it into an assassin-bot?]
    What do all good weapons need? Gems!

Good quality ones as well, not just the dross you can pick off the cavern walls, but weapons-grade gemstones. The kind used in laser rifles (oh hey, the dogs have those), and reserved for the pick of the litter.

Get a big batch of them and you can turn this thing into a laser-spewing meatbag-eliminator.

That said, if you want it to be more than just a floating automaton - if you want it to be able to think while it hunts down your prey - you'll also need assassin programming, or a means of writing your own into the bot. That means a terminal and the right programming software. This sort of stuff can mostly be found in Ministry of Morale facilities.

What do you do?