New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Cloudbreak IC: Glimpse of the sky

Every cloud has a silver lining. Sometimes, though, it's a little hard to get it to the mint. - Don Marquis

Cloudbreak

A game of Fallout Equestria

STARRING
    STARRING
    Amish Pirate as - The Scrapscallion (The Driver)
    Balmas as - Starlight Glimmer (The Hardholder) (Now as The Corrupted)
    Elanorin as - Milliway (The Savvyhead) (Now as The Faceless)
    Thanqol as - Luminark (The Hoarder) (Now as The Hardholder)

OOC Thread 1

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Cloudbreak IC: Glimpse of the sky

Our Bunker.

Many years ago, it lived as a small scientific outpost in the foothills of the Neighagra falls. Looking out over the Canterlot plains, and with its back to the great Canterhorn peak, it was an idyllic place to work or live. The waterfalls nearby provided plenty of drinking water, and the hydroelectricity powered whatever experiments the ponies inside could think up. The surface buildings were where most of the .. aheh, magic, happened. With offices of glittering glass and metal, the idea had been that the natural beauty would inspire those inside towards greater feats of technical and arcane brilliance.

Needless to say, Rarity's hoof had been involved.

At the end of the day though, most of the ponies who worked on this site spent their time staring at diagrams or spell matrices instead of waterfalls. Their mandate was clear. Nature was only a distraction, and each minute spent staring out the windows was a minute that could have been better utilised in finding the means to end. this. war.

Well, the war did end. Just not in the way anypony expected.

Those scientists that survived, did so thanks to the foresight and planning of ponies who died in a storm of emerald flame and nectomantic energies. Not that they were thankful. I mean, if those ponies had properly planned ahead, they'd have organised for the paperwork to be properly backed up. Didn't those foals understand? As a result, there was little to do during the next 200 years, except to live, survive, dig, expand and experiment. At least there were fewer distractions. Nothing to keep the ponies away from the SCIENCE.

Well, up until whatever it was that had knocked out the protective sandstorms that kept this place so well hidden.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Luminark is dreaming.

Luminark is dreaming that he's tied up in a small dark room with a big dark pony with a huge dark clown mask and carrying massive dark chainsaw. The big pony is asking a question which cannot be heard over the whirring of the chainsaw blades. He pauses just before putting the blade to Luminark's neck. Then he mutters something about not wanting to get his nice new jacket wet and shuffles for the door to look for some plastic sheeting to put down.

Luminark, of course, is treating this situation calmly and rationally and with all the gravitas it is due. He may be signalling his distress using his vocal chords but that is the most calm and rational way to attract potential rescuers.

And a rescuer arrives. Luminark can only gape in shock as the small metal pony disassembles clown-mask with a series of perfectly placed kicks. He freezes as she looks over at him with her shining metal eye. "Milliway," he says, and she says, "Luminark," and there is no more time for words as they -

And then the dream is abruptly ended by somepony inconsiderately throwing ice water in his face.

"He passed out, boss," says Clown Mask, and his voice sounds distinctly unrefined when it is not said over the roar of chainsaw blades. No wonder he got into that line of work.

"I did not!" Luminark declares, pulling himself to his full height and fighting back a magnificent blush. "I was considering my options! My options for escape! By myself! Under my own power! Because I am a powerful wizard and I do not need rescue!"

"So yer looking to escape then?" said Clown Mask ponderously.

"No! I never said that!" said Luminark, sweat pouring from his brow as he rapidly tried to figure out what his actual plan was.

Clown Mask looked confused, and as was the habit of a pony who was easily confused he looked across to his boss to see what he had to say about all this...
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2016-06-26 at 05:31 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Well, up until whatever it was that had knocked out the protective sandstorms that kept this place so well hidden.
    Start of Session Roll: 3,2, +2. [7] Surplus: +2 Barter, Want +Idle.

"Friend Pony, take Wander Squadron and bring me the head of Absorbing Rod!" Starlight snapped, her long legs propelling her down the steel hallways and forcing her subordinates to jog to keep up. "Make damned sure that the rest of him is attached when you bring him, because I'm going to need him to work on whatever it is that knocked out our shield. Pal squadron, you're going to get the rest of the heads of staff and bring them to the lobby for a staff meeting five minutes ago. Friendship and Buddies, you're with me."

She turned to the smaller pony beside her, frowning at his slicked back hair. "Scrapscallion, you're coming with us to the outside. Somepony is threatening my little ponies, and I intend to find what it is."
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

When was the last time anypony got to make out with a princess?

The question had haunted Scrapscallion for weeks now. There were alicorns now, sure, but he wouldn't call them princesses, y'know? There's a certain sort of...royalty-ness that you gotta have before you're a princess, and they didn't have it. They did have murder. Lots of murder. Frankly, more murder than is probably healthy for anypony looking to cozy up with one of them. So the only conclusion he could come to was "not for hundreds of years."

And here he was, seeing a Princess every other day.

How could he pass up such an opportunity?

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    She turned to the smaller pony beside her, frowning at his slicked back hair. "Scrapscallion, you're coming with us to the outside. Somepony is threatening my little ponies, and I intend to find what it is."
    You wanna guess what else is different about him today? Go on, guess. I'll even give you a hint; it starts with a D, rhymes with "must", and for once it isn't covering Scrapscallion from head to hoof.

That's right. Scrapscallion finally took a bath. No more standing out like a dusty, sore hoof. His coat was scrubbed clean, his mane was shiny, and his coat was free of unsightly wrinkles. Why, he looked downright acceptable.

"Sure thing, your Equalityness. And might I say, you are looking particularly Equal today." He flashed a dazzling smile, and all his numerous muscles flexed at once. (They do that sometimes. Can't help it. Medical condition.) "Maybe later, you and I can check out our Equality in intimate detail." His voice dropped to a silky smooth whisper, flagrant with promise.

[Spending 2-Barter for lifestyle in order to look darn good average. Rolling to Seduce the Princess: 3 + 3 + 1 = 7. Mark experience if you take him up on his offer.]
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2016-06-26 at 05:05 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Start of session move: Bonefeel: 4+6+2=12, hold 1+1, spending my hold to be in Luminark's scene with tools and knowledge, taking +1forward]

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    And then the dream is abruptly ended by somepony inconsiderately throwing ice water in his face.

"He passed out, boss," says Clown Mask, and his voice sounds distinctly unrefined when it is not said over the roar of chainsaw blades. No wonder he got into that line of work.

"I did not!" Luminark declares, pulling himself to his full height and fighting back a magnificent blush. "I was considering my options! My options for escape! By myself! Under my own power! Because I am a powerful wizard and I do not need rescue!"

"So yer looking to escape then?" said Clown Mask ponderously.

"No! I never said that!" said Luminark, sweat pouring from his brow as he rapidly tried to figure out what his actual plan was.

Clown Mask looked confused, and as was the habit of a pony who was easily confused he looked across to his boss to see what he had to say about all this...
    "Uhm... excuse me," Milliway said in her usual quiet voice as she emerged impossibly from behind a narrow pillar which was nowhere near large enough to hide a pony. "Hello," she added as eyes turned to her, she wasn't smiling, and there was a little metallic tink from every third step from the metal cast on her leg as she walked towards them.

"You two can go now. Payment will be ready in the morning." She added calmly and quietly to Clown Mask and Boss, before turning her eyes to Luminark. The metallic one expanded a little as it sought focus and the red light pierced right in to his eyes. There was an unmistakable feeling in the air that she was displeased as her unblinking stare focused on Luminark without mercy.

She waited calmly for the other two to leave.
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

"Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time."
    ~ Snow Patrol

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    "Uhm... excuse me," Milliway said in her usual quiet voice as she emerged impossibly from behind a narrow pillar which was nowhere near large enough to hide a pony. "Hello," she added as eyes turned to her, she wasn't smiling, and there was a little metallic tink from every third step from the metal cast on her leg as she walked towards them.

"You two can go now. Payment will be ready in the morning." She added calmly and quietly to Clown Mask and Boss, before turning her eyes to Luminark. The metallic one expanded a little as it sought focus and the red light pierced right in to his eyes. There was an unmistakable feeling in the air that she was displeased as her unblinking stare focused on Luminark without mercy.

It took a moment for Luminark to process this, but then he sighed and rolled his eyes.

"Nice try, subconscious," said Luminark. "Why don't you just cut to the kissing so at least you're not repeating yourself all night?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

It took a moment for Luminark to process this, but then he sighed and rolled his eyes.

"Nice try, subconscious," said Luminark. "Why don't you just cut to the kissing so at least you're not repeating yourself all night?"
    It's safe to say this comment took Milliway somewhat by surprise. She expected various pleas to let him go, some more delightful screaming, perhaps even some threats, before they got on to the bargaining. But uh... whatever was going on here was... something else. But it didn't matter. Over her dead body was she going to let this cur catch her on the back hoof with his crazytalk.

"Would it make you return what you took?" Milliway asked icily. "Because, then, by all means, let's skip ahead, to the kissing." she snapped.
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Start of Session Roll: 3,2, +2. [7] Surplus: +2 Barter, Want +Idle.

"Friend Pony, take Wander Squadron and bring me the head of Absorbing Rod!" Starlight snapped, her long legs propelling her down the steel hallways and forcing her subordinates to jog to keep up. "Make damned sure that the rest of him is attached when you bring him, because I'm going to need him to work on whatever it is that knocked out our shield. Pal squadron, you're going to get the rest of the heads of staff and bring them to the lobby for a staff meeting five minutes ago. Friendship and Buddies, you're with me."

The heads of staff were already waiting for her, as well as a good number of the other ponies in the Bunker. Many were clutching papers, or waving hooves whilst trying to get the attention of their administrator. Scientists complaining about experiments gone awry, support staff worried about various bits of machinery. Others were just here to watch.

Out of that mass of ponies, which ones do you pay attention to and why?

The two ponies shuffled out, although they gave glances back over their shoulders as they left.

What is your relationship with these two ... unsavoury types? They might be for hire, nominally, but you have to know they normally work for Doctrine of Hype. Why would you pick them, of all ponies, to handle a snatch and grab like this?

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    You wanna guess what else is different about him today? Go on, guess. I'll even give you a hint; it starts with a D, rhymes with "must", and for once it isn't covering Scrapscallion from head to hoof.

That's right. Scrapscallion finally took a bath. No more standing out like a dusty, sore hoof. His coat was scrubbed clean, his mane was shiny, and his coat was free of unsightly wrinkles. Why, he looked downright acceptable.

"Sure thing, your Equalityness. And might I say, you are looking particularly Equal today." He flashed a dazzling smile, and all his numerous muscles flexed at once. (They do that sometimes. Can't help it. Medical condition.) "Maybe later, you and I can check out our Equality in intimate detail." His voice dropped to a silky smooth whisper, flagrant with promise.

[Spending 2-Barter for lifestyle in order to look darn good average. Rolling to Seduce the Princess: 3 + 3 + 1 = 7. Mark experience if you take him up on his offer.]
    Two barter is a lot of jingle to drop on sprucing yourself up, Scrapscallion. What's so expensive in what you've bought? Do your clothes come with some kind of additional benefits, a hidden bit of tech or something, or is a good suit and some mane wax just that expensive in the bunker?

10. - Top - End - #10

The idea was almost enough to get her to stop in her tracks. Almost. "Well, let us say that I am not averse to some discussion tonight. If you can bring Luminark, it might even bear some fruit that would be beneficial to us all.

The heads of staff were already waiting for her, as well as a good number of the other ponies in the Bunker. Many were clutching papers, or waving hooves whilst trying to get the attention of their administrator. Scientists complaining about experiments gone awry, support staff worried about various bits of machinery. Others were just here to watch.

Out of that mass of ponies, which ones do you pay attention to and why?
    "Alright, everypony, settle down. Down, I said!"

When that didn't produce results, Starlight turned to Target Practice and stated, "Two day house arrest for anyone who doesn't be silent until they're called on."

[Go Aggro on the counsel: Shut up and be orderly, or face house arrest without their research. 2,5, +2. [9].

"Now, we're going to take care of this in an ordered and scientific manner. Absorbing Rod. You're in charge of power. Why are our defenses down? After that, our Archmage can tell us about the systems in question. And finally, Crossed Wires can tell us how she's going to provide us with maintenance robots to prevent the problem in the future."
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Two barter is a lot of jingle to drop on sprucing yourself up, Scrapscallion. What's so expensive in what you've bought? Do your clothes come with some kind of additional benefits, a hidden bit of tech or something, or is a good suit and some mane wax just that expensive in the bunker?
    Some of that's going towards keeping my bike in good repair and keeping food on the table. But yeah, even half that would be crazy to spend on a good bath. Not to say that shampoo's cheap; it ain't. There aren't many ponies out there pumping out mane care products liek they used to. But for something to be really pricey, ponies have to want it, right? Well have you seen this place? I don't know about you, but most of these ponies don't strike me as the type to spring for the good shampoo.

No, see, this was pricey because I gotta be smart about this. Suppose I get myself all washed up, only to find out - uh oh! Our Princess has locked herself in her lab and won't be out for a week. I make a run in the meantime, and bam! All that bath time goes right down the drain. Literally. I needed a way to look Princess-good, even if I had to go for a ride. So what did I do?

Easy, I bought a charm. Little magitech doodad, guaranteed to keep me looking fresh for a whole week. Had one of the lab coats cook it up for me; I think it was Slight O'Hoof? Good pony, that one. The scientists are always looking for a little extra research budget, and sometimes a pony needs a little magical wonder to solve their problems. A little off-the-books action later, and everypony's happy. Provided the Friendliness Squadrons don't find out.

The idea was almost enough to get her to stop in her tracks. Almost. "Well, let us say that I am not averse to some discussion tonight. If you can bring Luminark, it might even bear some fruit that would be beneficial to us all.
    A pause. A long, thoughtful, slightly disgusted pause. "...he won't be joining us, right?" Scrapscallion asked, pulling a face.

[Part of his offer was to meet privately, so if you're taking the XP then you'd have to hold to that as well.]
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2016-06-27 at 03:08 PM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

"Alright, everypony, settle down. Down, I said!"

When that didn't produce results, Starlight turned to Target Practice and stated, "Two day house arrest for anyone who doesn't be silent until they're called on."

[Go Aggro on the counsel: Shut up and be orderly, or face house arrest without their research. 2,5, +2. [9].

"Now, we're going to take care of this in an ordered and scientific manner. Absorbing Rod. You're in charge of power. Why are our defenses down? After that, our Archmage can tell us about the systems in question. And finally, Crossed Wires can tell us how she's going to provide us with maintenance robots to prevent the problem in the future."
    The ponies subsided at that. There was so much Science to do, nopony wanted to take a two day forced break. That was almost ... well ... torture!

Rod shuffled awkwardly as a space opened up around him. There seemed to be a general air of "that's the pony you want, that guy there. Me? I'm just standing here. Not at all interesting no ma'am." from most of the other scientists. A similar gap soon opened up around Crossed Wires whilst a third opened up on ... an empty patch of space.

I guess Archmage Moondancer hadn't come. No big surprise. She never really left her library unless ... well, not even if the place was on fire. Nopony was sure what she ate, or if she ever needed to visit the little mare's room. If Starlight wanted to talk to her, she'd have to go there directly, and probably get Luminark to let her in to boot. The archmage didn't exactly like distractions.

Rod cleared his throat. The poor earth pony looked somewhat out of place amongst all the scientists in his baggy overalls and grease stains. Two hundred years ago his family had hailed from northern Trottingham and all the intervening generations had never quite managed to erase his accent.

"Och, ma'am. I dinnae know what's happened to tha' sandstorms." he blurted. "Tha' power be runnin' fine, there's been nae black'oots and naething wrong with the gennies."

Easy, I bought a charm. Little magitech doodad, guaranteed to keep me looking fresh for a whole week. Had one of the lab coats cook it up for me; I think it was Slight O'Hoof? Good pony, that one. The scientists are always looking for a little extra research budget, and sometimes a pony needs a little magical wonder to solve their problems. A little off-the-books action later, and everypony's happy. Provided the Friendliness Squadrons don't find out.
    Indeed. Something like that could be useful, might be able to keep dirt off you but amp it up and it could even shield you from the rain, or keep toxic sludge off you while you danced in a puddle aboveground.

That said, it might be a good idea not to parade it around at present, given you're currently standing amongst a whole host of Friendliness goons.

Tell me, who was it who sold you that trinket? Black Liquorice the biomancer? Crossed Wires the robotologist? Clockwork the tinkerer? Or did you buy it off a middlepony?

13. - Top - End - #13

A pause. A long, thoughtful, slightly disgusted pause. "...he won't be joining us, right?" Scrapscallion asked, pulling a face.

[Part of his offer was to meet privately, so if you're taking the XP then you'd have to hold to that as well.]
    "You, of all ponies, should know that I could not be selfish enough to limit myself to just one pony." Starlight considered. "You need not bring him tonight, and I'm even feeling generous enough to consider a second date if this goes well. But if you wish this to be more than a one-night stand, then you'll need to share me. And what's more, you'll need to arrange a date between myself and Luminark. Impress me."

She considered. "And while it's not important at the moment, I congratulate you on locating something to remove the grease from your hair."

The ponies subsided at that. There was so much Science to do, nopony wanted to take a two day forced break. That was almost ... well ... torture!

Rod shuffled awkwardly as a space opened up around him. There seemed to be a general air of "that's the pony you want, that guy there. Me? I'm just standing here. Not at all interesting no ma'am." from most of the other scientists. A similar gap soon opened up around Crossed Wires whilst a third opened up on ... an empty patch of space.

I guess Archmage Moondancer hadn't come. No big surprise. She never really left her library unless ... well, not even if the place was on fire. Nopony was sure what she ate, or if she ever needed to visit the little mare's room. If Starlight wanted to talk to her, she'd have to go there directly, and probably get Luminark to let her in to boot. The archmage didn't exactly like distractions.

Rod cleared his throat. The poor earth pony looked somewhat out of place amongst all the scientists in his baggy overalls and grease stains. Two hundred years ago his family had hailed from northern Trottingham and all the intervening generations had never quite managed to erase his accent.

"Och, ma'am. I dinnae know what's happened to tha' sandstorms." he blurted. "Tha' power be runnin' fine, there's been nae black'oots and naething wrong with the gennies."
    "Very well. Thank you, Rod. And absent the Archmage, it falls to me to fix my town." As usual, she quite loudly didn't say.

It occurs to me that I helped build the Bunker, or at least had a part in its design. What, if anything, remains of those memories?

14. - Top - End - #14

It's safe to say this comment took Milliway somewhat by surprise. She expected various pleas to let him go, some more delightful screaming, perhaps even some threats, before they got on to the bargaining. But uh... whatever was going on here was... something else. But it didn't matter. Over her dead body was she going to let this cur catch her on the back hoof with his crazytalk.

"Would it make you return what you took?" Milliway asked icily. "Because, then, by all means, let's skip ahead, to the kissing." she snapped.
    "What are you - oh, you're my conscience," said Luminark in sudden understanding. "You're interrupting my dream to give me a guilt trip. Well it won't work! And besides, this entire scenario is implausible. Even if I did steal from Milliway her lab is such a disorganized rats nest there's no way she'd ever notice. Case closed. You can go home."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

What is your relationship with these two ... unsavoury types? They might be for hire, nominally, but you have to know they normally work for Doctrine of Hype. Why would you pick them, of all ponies, to handle a snatch and grab like this?
    Doc? Sure. That's who I got their names from. Doc and I were in Friendship Class together, been drinking buddies since. I needed some muscle to grab Luminark here and put some fear in to him, someponies who take their pay and don't ask questions. So far they've lived up to their recommendation.

"What are you - oh, you're my conscience," said Luminark in sudden understanding. "You're interrupting my dream to give me a guilt trip. Well it won't work! And besides, this entire scenario is implausible. Even if I did steal from Milliway her lab is such a disorganized rats nest there's no way she'd ever notice. Case closed. You can go home."
    "Rat's nest. Huh." Milliway calmly looked around, spotted a suitable rusty pipe, picked it up and smacked it over Luminark's head as hard as she could.

[Rolling to Go Aggro on Luminark: 1+3+1=5]
    Last edited by Elanorin; 2016-06-29 at 02:38 AM.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed. Something like that could be useful, might be able to keep dirt off you but amp it up and it could even shield you from the rain, or keep toxic sludge off you while you danced in a puddle aboveground.

That said, it might be a good idea not to parade it around at present, given you're currently standing amongst a whole host of Friendliness goons.

Tell me, who was it who sold you that trinket? Black Liquorice the biomancer? Crossed Wires the robotologist? Clockwork the tinkerer? Or did you buy it off a middlepony?
    Oh, yeah. I'm not dumb enough to go prancing around with a big, glowing gem around my neck. I've got it stashed in the inside pocket of my jacket.

The seller? Right, right, it was Clockwork. You don't get your traditional middleponies because it's not like they're stockpiling these things. They only make them when somebody's paying for their time. The trick is knowing who makes what. Say I caught a nasty case of the radsickness, and I wanted it gone fast. That's when I'd go see Black Liquorice, or maybe Absorbing Rod. Clockwork's the one who specializes in little magitech goodies like this one.

"You, of all ponies, should know that I could not be selfish enough to limit myself to just one pony." Starlight considered. "You need not bring him tonight, and I'm even feeling generous enough to consider a second date if this goes well. But if you wish this to be more than a one-night stand, then you'll need to share me. And what's more, you'll need to arrange a date between myself and Luminark. Impress me."

She considered. "And while it's not important at the moment, I congratulate you on locating something to remove the grease from your hair."
    Let's see; get cozy with the Princess tonight, stick Luminark with her, get cozy with the Princess later? Man oh man. This was gonna be fun. "You got it, Princess," he said, popping his jacket collar. "What can I say? The Scrapscallion never disappoints."

He flicked his goggles down - the ones with the cool shades - and strutted into the meeting beside her.

"Very well. Thank you, Rod. And absent the Archmage, it falls to me to fix my town." As usual, she quite loudly didn't say.

It occurs to me that I helped build the Bunker, or at least had a part in its design. What, if anything, remains of those memories?
    The Scrapscallion entered the meeting brimming with confidence. Let the scientists bicker all they wanted; he had just wooed a Princess, and nothing could soil his good mood. Bring out the longest slideshows! Stuff him in the tiniest meeting rooms! He was ready! He was on fire!

He didn't last five minutes.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. If he reclined any more in his seat, he was going over. In fact, he was strongly considering it. Maybe a good concussion could take the edge of the boredom. Anything, anything was better than listening to these ponies drone on. Well, aside from house arrest. He shot a dirty look to the Princess, but her own frustration gave him a fantastic idea.

Real smooth-like, he flicked his tail against her leg. And when she turned, she'd see the face of the pony who could totally end this meeting right here, right now. If only she'd just call on him...

[Rolling to Manipulate/Seduce the Princess. Again. This time, Scrapscallion wants her to give him the floor, and let him end the meeting. (2d6+1)[12] Mark XP if you do, erase a highlight if you don't.]
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2016-06-29 at 02:14 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

"Rat's nest. Huh." Milliway calmly looked around, spotted a suitable rusty pipe, picked it up and smacked it over Luminark's head as hard as she could.

[Rolling to Go Aggro on Luminark: 1+3+1=5]
    The pipe seemed to stick in mid-air. Milliway tugged on it futilely, before turning to see it engulfed in a field of magic.

"Well well well, wot 'ave we 'ere?" said an annoyingly familiar voice, as Forced Smile stepped into the room, his horn glowing. The head of Pals squadron was grinning his trademark grin, which sat somewhere between "I don't like you" and "boys, pull off her legs". Two more guards stepped in after him, one of them roughly pushing a unusually docile Clown Mask ahead of him.

"Looks like a clear case of non-conformist behaviour. Possibly even deviant." he gasped, in the theatrical form of those ponies who possessed wit only seen at the bottom of pond scum. "We might have two more ponies for re-edu-cation tonight boys!"

The friendliness squadrons, when they caught a pony, were well known to be anything but. They had a long history of breaking kneecaps just to make a point. And fillies always had extra things to worry about if they found themselves in their clutches.

Sounds like you're opening your brain!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

The pipe seemed to stick in mid-air. Milliway tugged on it futilely, before turning to see it engulfed in a field of magic.

"Well well well, wot 'ave we 'ere?" said an annoyingly familiar voice, as Forced Smile stepped into the room, his horn glowing. The head of Pals squadron was grinning his trademark grin, which sat somewhere between "I don't like you" and "boys, pull off her legs". Two more guards stepped in after him, one of them roughly pushing a unusually docile Clown Mask ahead of him.

"Looks like a clear case of non-conformist behaviour. Possibly even deviant." he gasped, in the theatrical form of those ponies who possessed wit only seen at the bottom of pond scum. "We might have two more ponies for re-edu-cation tonight boys!"

The friendliness squadrons, when they caught a pony, were well known to be anything but. They had a long history of breaking kneecaps just to make a point. And fillies always had extra things to worry about if they found themselves in their clutches.
    Milliway froze for a moment, feeling an icy trickle of panic shoot down her spine. She knew that voice. She knew it much, much too well. It haunted her, just as much as that smile haunted her, she didn't have to turn to look at him to know that smile was on his face. She was not going back there. No way. She'd do anything to prevent it. Anything.

Anything.

Even this...

"What? Oh..." she said, with an embarrassed smile, "I think there's a misunderstanding here. This is not what it looks like. This is my boyfriend. I wasn't ever going to actually hurt him. I love him. It's a sort of game. Vanilla just isn't his flavour of choice, see. So we're just adding a little spice. Friendly- oh so friendly- spice. Aren't we, honey?" she said, leaning in to place an affectionate kiss on Luminark's cheek, wrapping a caressing hoof around his neck.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

19. - Top - End - #19

Milliway froze for a moment, feeling an icy trickle of panic shoot down her spine. She knew that voice. She knew it much, much too well. It haunted her, just as much as that smile haunted her, she didn't have to turn to look at him to know that smile was on his face. She was not going back there. No way. She'd do anything to prevent it. Anything.

Anything.

Even this...

"What? Oh..." she said, with an embarrassed smile, "I think there's a misunderstanding here. This is not what it looks like. This is my boyfriend. I wasn't ever going to actually hurt him. I love him. It's a sort of game. Vanilla just isn't his flavour of choice, see. So we're just adding a little spice. Friendly- oh so friendly- spice. Aren't we, honey?" she said, leaning in to place an affectionate kiss on Luminark's cheek, wrapping a caressing hoof around his neck.
    This dream was turning into a bit of a rollercoaster. Luminark was a bit scrambled for a few seconds, but decided that the lesser evil here was keeping up with this Milliway insanity rather than seguing to the probable nightmare that'd be behind the friendship inspectors. An entirely logical motive that had nothing to do with anything else. "Yes, all a big misunderstanding," he said.

20. - Top - End - #20

Sounds like you're opening your brain!
    Going into the maze of her own memories was always a risky proposition.

To start off with, you never knew what you were going to find in your own memories. Sometimes you were lucky, and the path led straight to what you found. Sometimes, there were locked doors that forced you to wander, only to backtrack and find that they were open. Sometimes, you needed to walk at walls and trust that there were doors where your senses told you there were only beige bricks. A few times, on her own journeys, she'd found a massive door, picked out in gold and rubies, but with not a single crack in it to open.

Let's see what she finds today.
    (2d6+0)[6]

The Scrapscallion entered the meeting brimming with confidence. Let the scientists bicker all they wanted; he had just wooed a Princess, and nothing could soil his good mood. Bring out the longest slideshows! Stuff him in the tiniest meeting rooms! He was ready! He was on fire!

He didn't last five minutes.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. If he reclined any more in his seat, he was going over. In fact, he was strongly considering it. Maybe a good concussion could take the edge of the boredom. Anything, anything was better than listening to these ponies drone on. Well, aside from house arrest. He shot a dirty look to the Princess, but her own frustration gave him a fantastic idea.

Real smooth-like, he flicked his tail against her leg. And when she turned, she'd see the face of the pony who could totally end this meeting right here, right now. If only she'd just call on him...

[Rolling to Manipulate/Seduce the Princess. Again. This time, Scrapscallion wants her to give him the floor, and let him end the meeting. (2d6+0)[6] Mark XP if you do, erase a highlight if you don't.]
    [Man, Manipulate has teeth in this edition.]

Starlight sighed. "Well, unless any of you have anything useful to contribute, I don't see a point in continuing this meeting for much further. We have power, so none of your projects should be disturbed too much. Target Practice, I want to see some new technology from the weapons lab when we get back; I suspect we'll need it."

Her horn flashed, and she unfurled a map of the area surrounding Our Bunker from the ceiling. At the same time, the Scrapscallion's chair tipped inexorably and brutally to the floor and it wasn't me you can't prove a damn thing.

Starlight turned and smiled sweetly at the stallion. "Luckily, the Scrapscallion assures me that he knows how to solve our current crisis. And who better than our premier scrap scavenging expert? Once he tells us the answer, the meeting will be over and you can direct any further questions to him."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Anything.

Even this...

"Well, ain't that just sweet." replied Forced Smile. "I'd almost believe you lot if it wasn't for the fact we caught Clown Mask here sneaking out of here a second ago."

"I didn't do nothin'" grumbled the big earth pony.

"See? He's already confessed for you ponies." continued Smile. "Right honourable pony this fella is."

[This sounds charged, would anypony like to read a sitch?]

Going into the maze of her own memories was always a risky proposition.

To start off with, you never knew what you were going to find in your own memories. Sometimes you were lucky, and the path led straight to what you found. Sometimes, there were locked doors that forced you to wander, only to backtrack and find that they were open. Sometimes, you needed to walk at walls and trust that there were doors where your senses told you there were only beige bricks. A few times, on her own journeys, she'd found a massive door, picked out in gold and rubies, but with not a single crack in it to open.

Let's see what she finds today.
    [roll0]
    An old manor, vast and empty.

Down and down the passages, doors locked and barred. Each hallway branching off to another, but all of them ending in dead ends. Some have collapsed, others burned. Had there been a fire? And who had lit it?

Starlight flicks back the curtains, trying to peer out into the darkness. But whatever is out there is drowned out by the lights inside. They cast strange shadows on the parched grass outside, the crossbars and patterns of the window frames.

She tries to light the hearth, but no flame will take on the dead embers that remain.

Meanwhile, she smells smoke.

Starlight sighed. "Well, unless any of you have anything useful to contribute, I don't see a point in continuing this meeting for much further. We have power, so none of your projects should be disturbed too much. Target Practice, I want to see some new technology from the weapons lab when we get back; I suspect we'll need it."
    "
    "Ma'am!" gasps Proper Process, loudly enough that it almost disturbs the grey bun of her mane. "You can't be suggesting we dismiss the meeting already? Article seventeen of the research charter is quite explicit in these circumstances. Quite explicit indeed! The heads of staff are to meet for a minuted meeting, chaired by the Administrator, in the event of a significant outage to our perimeter defences. And will continue to meet until the matter is properly diagnosed and a rectification plan in place."

"There's no way we can sift the data required in just a few moments. We should wait to hear from the remainder of the relevant departments!"

Beside her, a half dozen ponies nodded in agreement and started shuffling formidably tall looking stacks of papers.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Her horn flashed, and she unfurled a map of the area surrounding Our Bunker from the ceiling. At the same time, the Scrapscallion's chair tipped inexorably and brutally to the floor and it wasn't me you can't prove a damn thing.

Starlight turned and smiled sweetly at the stallion. "Luckily, the Scrapscallion assures me that he knows how to solve our current crisis. And who better than our premier scrap scavenging expert? Once he tells us the answer, the meeting will be over and you can direct any further questions to him."
    "Ma'am!" gasps Proper Process, loudly enough that it almost disturbs the grey bun of her mane. "You can't be suggesting we dismiss the meeting already? Article seventeen of the research charter is quite explicit in these circumstances. Quite explicit indeed! The heads of staff are to meet for a minuted meeting, chaired by the Administrator, in the event of a significant outage to our perimeter defences. And will continue to meet until the matter is properly diagnosed and a rectification plan in place."

"There's no way we can sift the data required in just a few moments. We should wait to hear from the remainder of the relevant departments!"

Beside her, a half dozen ponies nodded in agreement and started shuffling formidably tall looking stacks of papers.
    The Scrapscallion sprung upright, as if nothing had happened. Because nothing had happened. Nopony saw anything, they couldn't prove otherwise, and he'd always had this bruise-shaped birthmark on his head.

"And you can't be suggesting going against the word of your Princess-Administrator?" He fired back, matching Proper Process' tone to a T. "Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnn, what is the holdup here? We all know how this goes down. Nopony knows what's happening, because nopony's piped up to offer some brilliant plan. And the only way we find out what's happening is by sending somepony to go check it out."

He smoothed out his jacket sleeve. "So why don't we cut to the chase? I can be there and back before sundown, and still have time to pick up some souvenirs."

[This feels like yet another Manipulate. Scrapscallion wants them to accept his proposal and get the heck out. (2d6+1)[3]]

23. - Top - End - #23

An old manor, vast and empty.

Down and down the passages, doors locked and barred. Each hallway branching off to another, but all of them ending in dead ends. Some have collapsed, others burned. Had there been a fire? And who had lit it?

Starlight flicks back the curtains, trying to peer out into the darkness. But whatever is out there is drowned out by the lights inside. They cast strange shadows on the parched grass outside, the crossbars and patterns of the window frames.

She tries to light the hearth, but no flame will take on the dead embers that remain.

Meanwhile, she smells smoke.
    Well, that wasn't good. I couldn't allow my dream mansion to go up in smoke, or else I'd be liable to start thinking I was a dictator instead of a loving counselor for my little ponies. I follow the smoke, and if the fire is small enough, I drop a shield over it to suffocate the flames.

The Scrapscallion sprung upright, as if nothing had happened. Because nothing had happened. Nopony saw anything, they couldn't prove otherwise, and he'd always had this bruise-shaped birthmark on his head.

"And you can't be suggesting going against the word of your Princess-Administrator?" He fired back, matching Proper Process' tone to a T. "Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnn, what is the holdup here? We all know how this goes down. Nopony knows what's happening, because nopony's piped up to offer some brilliant plan. And the only way we find out what's happening is by sending somepony to go check it out."

He smoothed out his jacket sleeve. "So why don't we cut to the chase? I can be there and back before sundown, and still have time to pick up some souvenirs."

[This feels like yet another Manipulate. Scrapscallion wants them to accept his proposal and get the heck out. (2d6+0)[3]]

"I'm aware of the regulations," Starlight snapped. "I wrote half of them. And I wrote the other half, too. But as I said, I need to make sure that my little ponies are safe. And that means that we will be going out, determining where the problem lies."

Her voice softened. "And we are not canceling the counsel meeting--we're postponing it until we have all relevant facts. Once we come back, you'll have a full debriefing from the Scrapscallion."

She grinned, and turned a pair of violet eyes on him. Eyes full of promises, both richly rewarding and agonizingly painful. "Won't we, my friend?"

[Rolling to manipulate the Scrapscallion: (2d6+0)[3]]

24. - Top - End - #24

"Well, ain't that just sweet." replied Forced Smile. "I'd almost believe you lot if it wasn't for the fact we caught Clown Mask here sneaking out of here a second ago."

"See? He's already confessed for you ponies." continued Smile. "Right honourable pony this fella is."

Sure thing: 11. What's my best escape route, what should I be on the lookout for, which enemy is most vulnerable to me?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

[This feels like yet another Manipulate. Scrapscallion wants them to accept his proposal and get the heck out. [roll0]]
    Her voice softened. "And we are not canceling the counsel meeting--we're postponing it until we have all relevant facts. Once we come back, you'll have a full debriefing from the Scrapscallion."

She grinned, and turned a pair of violet eyes on him. Eyes full of promises, both richly rewarding and agonizingly painful. "Won't we, my friend?"

[Rolling to manipulate the Scrapscallion: [roll0]]
    "We would not, of course, go against your will here, Administrator. However, we do wish to strongly emphasise that any field research in relation to the defence outage should, by rights, be led and resourced from within the science division."

Proper Process scowled at the Scrapscallion, and her expression was mirrored by another half-dozen of the researchers. They glanced at one another, before nodding at the elderly unicorn to continue.

"What you do with him is, of course, your business Administrator" she continued, with the tone of voice indicating that it was very much not just her business and that they all had an opinion on it. "But on an expedition of this nature, we feel his ... talents ... will be best utilised when he is under the direct authority of the assigned science head."

Sure thing: 11. What's my best escape route, what should I be on the lookout for, which enemy is most vulnerable to me?
    Well, let's see. Depends on what you mean by "best"

Forced Smile here is a bit of a bully, as befits a pony whose job it is to "enforce friendship" however he deems fit. He's looking to rough up some ponies, particularly ones he doesn't like, but he probably doesn't want to take it any further than that. Probably. If by best, you mean easiest, or least complicated, then your best bet out is to give him one such pony, and you feel it's between yourself and Milliway as to the major candidates. Let him have his fun, kick the stuffing out of one or the other of you, and he'll be on his way.

Alternatively, if by best you mean 'least immediately painful', you can give him a bigger fish to fry. Rat out something on Boss or Clown Mask. It'll take his attention off you but you'll probably make an enemy down the track. You only have to out-think Clown Mask, and he's hardly got a proper degree*.

What you should be on the lookout for is the second of the guardponies that has come in, Prancer. The earth pony has a radio on him, so if you try anything too dangerous or over the top, he's the one that'll call for backup. Before you know it you'll be swimming in Friendship Police, which is not conducive to a long and healthy life.

As far as vulnerable goes, well, you're currently tied to a chair and there's three of them. So physical vulnerability isn't really on the cards yet unless you're packing something I don't know about. But emotional vulnerability, well it's Prancer again. See, he's also got a bit of a thing for Milliway. You can see it in how he tenses up when she drapes herself over you. If you get into a fight with them, he's the one most likely to take it too far, so keep an eye out for that, but it also makes him the one with the most obvious buttons for you to push.

*(Bachelor of Topiary - the bunker's biomancer hands these ones out like candy)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Milliway felt little beads of sweat forming at he base of her mane. She had to find a way out. She barely noticed it herself but her leg wrapped around Luminark was holding him tighter and tighter the more worried she got.

[Read a Sitch: 3+2+0=5 ]
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Milliway felt little beads of sweat forming at he base of her mane. She had to find a way out. She barely noticed it herself but her leg wrapped around Luminark was holding him tighter and tighter the more worried she got.

[Read a Sitch: 3+2+0=5 ]
    Prancer's scowl deepened as he watched Milliway clutch to Luminark.

[I think you still get to ask a question here, but be prepared for the worst. possible. thing]

"We would not, of course, go against your will here, Administrator. However, we do wish to strongly emphasise that any field research in relation to the defence outage should, by rights, be led and resourced from within the science division."

Proper Process scowled at the Scrapscallion, and her expression was mirrored by another half-dozen of the researchers. They glanced at one another, before nodding at the elderly unicorn to continue.

"What you do with him is, of course, your business Administrator" she continued, with the tone of voice indicating that it was very much not just her business and that they all had an opinion on it. "But on an expedition of this nature, we feel his ... talents ... will be best utilised when he is under the direct authority of the assigned science head."
    It had begun its life as a collection of individual components: a suitcase, an energy gem and a pair of military-grade frag mines. Somepony, somewhere, had taken great care to put them together just so, and to place them just right under the middle of the large wooden conference table.

It ended its life in a brilliant flash of light, heat and noise. The blast tore through the table, the assembled researchers and practically any last hope that today was going to be nice, quiet and full of meetings.

[Glimglam, Scraps, 3 harm]

When vision returns, everything is cloaked in smoke. The lights have been blown out, and the only illumination is from various small fires that now flicker in the gutted conference room. Overhead, one of the bunker's water pipes has been cracked, and water is dripping down from amongst the ragged remains of the ceiling.

There's no sound, save for a ringing in the ears, but there are things that should be making noise - for starters, you can see ponies moving around you; some of the researchers have survived and many of them are injured, bleeding and missing limbs. Somepony's head is staring sightlessly at the two of you. It takes you a moment to realise that it's no longer attached to a body. Scrapscallion, you are the first to recognise the face. Who was it? The cream of the researchers were in the meeting, which department is now without its ... ahem ... head?

Starlight, what do you do here? Your guards are outside, but the blast has fried the door controls. You can probably force the door with no problem, but what then? Somepony has literally set you up the bomb, and from the way it looks it was probably an inside job. If your security team rushes into the room, there's a good chance that the evidence behind who did this could be disturbed, or even tampered with. If you force them to take it more carefully though, more of the researchers could die.

What do you do?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm aware of the regulations," Starlight snapped. "I wrote half of them. And I wrote the other half, too. But as I said, I need to make sure that my little ponies are safe. And that means that we will be going out, determining where the problem lies."

The Scrapscallion smiled, and nodded easily. "You got it-"

And then the room exploded.

It had begun its life as a collection of individual components: a suitcase, an energy gem and a pair of military-grade frag mines. Somepony, somewhere, had taken great care to put them together just so, and to place them just right under the middle of the large wooden conference table.

It ended its life in a brilliant flash of light, heat and noise. The blast tore through the table, the assembled researchers and practically any last hope that today was going to be nice, quiet and full of meetings.

When vision returns, everything is cloaked in smoke. The lights have been blown out, and the only illumination is from various small fires that now flicker in the gutted conference room. Overhead, one of the bunker's water pipes has been cracked, and water is dripping down from amongst the ragged remains of the ceiling.

There's no sound, save for a ringing in the ears, but there are things that should be making noise - for starters, you can see ponies moving around you; some of the researchers have survived and many of them are injured, bleeding and missing limbs. Somepony's head is staring sightlessly at the two of you. It takes you a moment to realise that it's no longer attached to a body. Scrapscallion, you are the first to recognise the face. Who was it? The cream of the researchers were in the meeting, which department is now without its ... ahem ... head?
    [That's 3 Harm - 0 Armor = Still 3 Harm. Rolling Harm move: (2d6+3)[8]]

Ow. Ow. Yep. Ow. That was an explosion alright. That was going to smart in the morning. And the evening. And right now. At least his coat wasn't messy.

The Scrapscallion opened his eyes, and the lifeless eyes of Tree the biologist stared through him. The breath caught in his throat. Jeez. I...I saw her last week. She actually waved when I left for a run. This sucked a lot less when he was the only one getting blown up.

Crawling through the debris, he made his way to Starlight's side. She barely seemed singed, of course. "Princess, I can get everypony who can work a bonesaw down here in five minutes flat." He shouted over the ringing in his ears. "Just say the word."
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2016-07-04 at 01:13 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Starlight sighed. "That should be acceptable. Just so long as we can--"

Starlight, what do you do here? Your guards are outside, but the blast has fried the door controls. You can probably force the door with no problem, but what then? Somepony has literally set you up the bomb, and from the way it looks it was probably an inside job. If your security team rushes into the room, there's a good chance that the evidence behind who did this could be disturbed, or even tampered with. If you force them to take it more carefully though, more of the researchers could die.

What do you do?
    Blood dripped in a circle around Starlight where her shield had absorbed most the force, but not the noise. Devastation painted the room and her face. If she'd known, if she'd been smarter, if she'd thought to cover anyone else but herself with her shield, at least some other ponies might have lived.

Harm Move: (2d6+1)[7]

She could barely hear herself barking orders over the ringing in her ears. "Guards! Get doctors and help the wounded!" There was an almighty shriek as Starlight jammed a hoof between the steel sliding doors and forced them open. Right now, this may have been an inside job, and ponies might die later if they didn't root out the traitor, but ponies were going to die now if she didn't get them help. "Sound off, all living and wounded!"

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Ow. Ow. Yep. Ow. That was an explosion alright. That was going to smart in the morning. And the evening. And right now. At least his coat wasn't messy.

The Scrapscallion opened his eyes, and the lifeless eyes of Tree the biologist stared through him. The breath caught in his throat. Jeez. I...I saw her last week. She actually waved when I left for a run. This sucked a lot less when he was the only one getting blown up.

Crawling through the debris, he made his way to Starlight's side. She barely seemed singed, of course. "Princess, I can get everypony who can work a bonesaw down here in five minutes flat." He shouted over the ringing in his ears. "Just say the word."
    "You'll get a free upgrade to your car if you can get them here in two!"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

She could barely hear herself barking orders over the ringing in her ears. "Guards! Get doctors and help the wounded!" There was an almighty shriek as Starlight jammed a hoof between the steel sliding doors and forced them open. Right now, this may have been an inside job, and ponies might die later if they didn't root out the traitor, but ponies were going to die now if she didn't get them help. "Sound off, all living and wounded!"
    The guards piled into the room as soon as the door was opened. You get the impression they had been trying to force the door during this intervening time.

Wander and Buddies squadrons move to help the wounded. Their expertise lies more in hurting ponies than helping them, but theres a few ponies in the squads who know enough medicine to start triaging patients. You hear, as your hearing starts to return, Proper Process shriek with more force than a pony that age should, as one of the friendship patrol applies a tourniquet to her missing leg.

Tree is dead, and that means your head botanist is gone. The department will need to appoint a replacement, or will you deal with that as Administrator? How much autonomy do you allow the various research teams?

[That's 3 Harm - 0 Armor = Still 3 Harm. Rolling Harm move: [roll0]]

On the plus side, despite the visible cuts and blood dripping off you, you still look pretty slick. The blood doesn't seem to stick in your coat, and the blast didn't even touch your mane.

Pretty pretty mane.

Uh, anyway. You're off to the medical facilities. I expect you've been there a few times? What, with needing to be patched up after a run. What can you tell me about them and the ponies who work there? Are they state-of-the-art? Expansive? How will they cope with a mass-casualty situation like we have? Or are they primitive enough that you go elsewhere for your real medicine?