New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: The Eternal Winter IC 2

Dietrich steps up next to Xander and Zephyr and clears his throat, "I believe I still have some of the powers that you imbued me with upon your rather sudden passing, Xander. Included in them I believe is a powerful teleport, perhaps that may help simplify getting into position for our assault?"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

@Dietrich: Xander listens to your words and then removes his glasses, squinting as he runs his index around the frame.

"Sir Dietrich, the power bestowed upon you in Lugenheim was granted by a special connection I have to these, a family memento.

Truth be told, anyone who passed initial testing would have received such arcane abilities...while the glasses were worn.

I do not have the power to transfer this all the time- Lugenheim was a desperate situation- but if you say you had only a Greater Teleport remaining..."

Xander puts his glasses back on and adjusts them as he smiles at you.

"That means you gave the other abilities a good use. Perhaps you may consider the arcane path down the road. I have heard the Knight's Dispatch have an impressive regiment of warmages back in Keoland, as well as mighty wizards to protect the Empire."

@The Party: A lowly acolyte comes running inside from the courtyard, dropping his bible on the ground and heading straight for Rosalind.

"Sister! Something is going on outside in the courtyard!""

Justcrown's Ruby Knight grips her blade and looks at the rest of her flock.

"Stay here! Protect Father Wilhelm! Use the blessings Pelor has given you and do not be reckless!""

She then looks at those of you who have not been meditating and starts heading for the courtyard.

"If you say you are here to protect, now would be a good time to demonstrate. Otherwise, stay here and keep the others safe.""

And so, Rosalind grips her blade and walks out to the courtyard, where the snow has begun to melt and a tremendous sigil with golden runes has appeared on the floor as the trees shed the ice on their leaves and crackling electricity courses through the benches as Rosalind places both hands on the hilt of the Brunhausser Blade and takes a warrior's stance while Xander adjusts his glasses and grips his runestaff.

"That is a summoning circle, isn't it, Rosalind?""

"Yes. Built into the church grounds before father Wilhelm was born. During the early days of the Duchy, but it has never been used. None here have need for it and the last time it was attempted to be used, it went awry for the person called...""

The crackling and golden hues intensify as chimes can be heard ringing through the air and a lone figure appears in the middle of the courtyard, clad in light blue armor and with a magnificent greatsword strapped to her back:

The power recedes from the courtyard as Rosalind keeps her blade directed at the woman and Xander adjusts his glasses, raising an eyebrow.

The woman looks at all of you and then around at the place where she landed.

"Oi bolape ge ol adagita ge ol adagita ooanana... ""

Xander looks at Rosalind, who looks back at him, keeping her blade always directed at the intruder.

"It's some dialect of... Celestial? Very old. Not a language used by, well... anyone anymore.""

The woman takes one step forward and Rosalind resumes her stance as the white haired elfin female smiles and reaches for the hilt of her own blade, tapping on it.

"Aala zomdv napea."

But who is this newcomer?

Spoiler: The Check
    Show
    Know. The Planes
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2016-06-30 at 12:52 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Johann follow up Rosalind, but he's a little annoyed with her stating things like "If you're really here to protect".
    This green woman stayed in town and saw nothing of the battles so far, who she think she is to trying to order him or something?

He watches as the mysterious elf appear to them and how Rosalind react.

"She clearly doesnt speak the common tongue, Rosalind. But where are your manners? Treating people with hostility will only reward you with hostility. Let me handle this, before you start battling".

Telepathy is a great thing to have, since it work even without them sharing a language.
    Reaching to the newcomer's mind he greet her.

"Greetings. I'm Master Johann and this is the Duchy of Justcrown. Please ignore the redhaired woman's agressive stance. We are under a siege-like situation. Care to introduce yourself? We dont understand the tongue you're using".
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr takes to the air in a lazy circle, keeping his eyes on the sudden arrival as Johann begins to communicate with her. He holds his footbow, but makes it clear that his hands are empty and no arrow is nocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    ... See, that's classy. Super classy. You're not just taking Body of the Sun and turning it into a source of walking destruction; you're taking Body of the Sun and an unwitting pawn and combining them into a source of walking destruction and comedy. That's evil genius, right there.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

@Zephyr: You fly above the frozen courtyard as the woman directs her gaze at you and fixes it on you for a few seconds, not a smile or a frown, for that matter.

But it is indeed very hard to read her actions. She does not look very powerful, wearing a light breastplate and a only a great sword, not even a shield.

And clearly no means of flight.

Taking her down, should she attempt to fight you would be relatively easy.

@Johann: Rosalind looks at you and frowns as she lowers the Brunhausser Blade and keeps her eyes directed to the woman.

"Many were deceived by the assassins that came to Justcrown a year ago, Master Crawford. You cannot ever be too alert...

But none have used that Summoning Circle before.""

Xander places his hand on Rosalind's shoulder and the Ruby Knight looks up at the magus and nods, sheathing the blade and giving the woman a respectful bow.

And then, you contact the white haired elven maiden through a direct and private link to her mind as she keeps her eyes focused on Zephyr, circling above.

Her voice resounds in your mind, loud and clear:

The common tongue of Man... it has been awhile since I heard it. I have been speaking Enochian for awhile now. My apologies.

And a pleasure to meet you, Master Crawford. I am Azakhiel, Knight of the Moonlit Sea and sworn to the Court of Stars.

You say this is Justcrown... this is not where I am supposed to be.

Azakhiel takes a few steps forward and becomes dizzy as she falls on her knees, looking at everyone gathered in the courtyard entrance and lifting her hand, as if keeping them at bay.

I am disoriented, mage. How far is the Fey Woods? I was supposed to be there.

@Dante: You push your way through the crowd of neophytes and look beyond Rosalind's shoulder at the one who has stirred the silence in the chapel.

By Wee Jas... how is one of them here?

As a student of many realities, you are well aware that there are countless races that inhabit the multiverse, being an infinite space, it should come as no surprise that there are infinite races.

However, there are those races called Exemplars. Beings born from an Ideal and given form and flesh.

These outsiders stand next to no deity, nor do they bow to one, but are known to associate with them from time to time, their allegiance to a Creed, which mortals can only dream to emulate.

The one you see here belongs to a race called the Eladrin, beautiful beings from the Plane of Arborea, eladrins are said to be, by many scholars, the progenitor race of elves and fey, but these claims are hotly debated.

Amongst the mighty eladrins, who champion Freedom and Justice above all, are the Ghaele, known as the knights of this race.

These beings are usually confused for elven maidens, always dressed in some manner of warrior attire, but said to posses powers beyond that of any mortal, true to their nature.

However, some of these stalwart champions of Goodness train for eons to best fend off against the forces of evil.

If a Ghaele has more powers than what are rumored- a few simple arcane spells that Johann could easily replicate and prepare- would have to be studied more in depth.

@The Party: The woman stands up and stumbles again as she trips over the broken stone ground that used to be the Summoning circle and barely catches a bench as she sits on it and lowers her head in thought for a few seconds, catching her breath and then looks at all of you assembled in the door.

"My apologies for the interruption. I will just collect myself for a few minutes and then be on my way."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

At first he though it was an invader. In the worst case scenario, someone sent by the First himself to slay everyone. But no, instead...

"A Ghaele! What a rare sight!"

"Lady, before you head your own way, let me tell you we might be sharing our interests. You said you want to go to the Fey Woods, right?

Well, state your business, and you might have gained five new allies. How that sounds?"

Eveline stays behind, watching closely. Always eager to gather new allies to wathever his quest is currently, that human.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Nicollo Corleone - The Scoundrel Malconvoker

Dante Levasseur - The Crimsom Inquisitor (avatar) and his Lumi cohort, Eveline Dawn now being followed by an old acquaintance, Aurora, the voice of Barachiel.

Minaerva - The Wild Caller from Rokiri Island.

Requiem Macabre Doc

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

"The Fey Woods?", Johann to answer when she lose balance and fall.

The mage walk closer, offering his arm to help her reach the bench and even sit beside her. "The Fey Woods are close, just past the South Gate. But there is a war going on there right now. One that managed to kill pretty much everyone standing here now. Some even twice".

Speaking out loud he continue, "Rosalind, why dont you go get a cup of water for our guest, please", he says and wave her away, "Take your time and recover you breath, Lady Azakhiel. We are getting ready to.depart to the Fey Woods, so if you really want to go there I believe we can take one more. But the Woods arent the same anymore. Maybe that was what caused the teleportation misshap? Can you tell me.where you're heading to? The Fey Woods is rather large".
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr, sensing that the new arrival is not likely to be a danger to the party, takes one last look around and then returns to the ground. "Well met, Lady Azakhiel. My friends and I speak truly: the Fey Woods are a dangerous place right now. Perhaps you could share with us the reason for your journey here."
    ... See, that's classy. Super classy. You're not just taking Body of the Sun and turning it into a source of walking destruction; you're taking Body of the Sun and an unwitting pawn and combining them into a source of walking destruction and comedy. That's evil genius, right there.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

@Dante: Azakhiel looks at you as Rosalind is waved away by Johann, who takes a seat by the eladrin's side.

"A rare sight? I could say the same for a Lumi being here with a... Jasidan, is it?. Since when do the followers of Light and those of the Stern Lady have interest in fey affairs?

And a team? Thank you, priest of Wee Jas, but it is a team I have lost. And one I plan to find. I still cannot understand how I was separated...

And did you just ask me to... state my business?""

The ghaele pants heavily and sighs as she leans back on the frozen bench.

@Johann: Rosalind comes back outside with a glass of water, which Azakhiel takes gleefully as she gulps it down in seconds.

"Thank you, child... a pelorite symbol. Of course, I tried to find the closest route to an allied outpost and it brought me to Justcrown. Wait...""

Azakhiel gets up and drops the glass as she looks around.

"Justcrown? Of course! A Pottsdorff lives here, does he not? Or a she? The legacy of the saint is said to be here. With a Pottsdorff by our side we could...""

But just as quickly as Azakhiel stands up, she plummets back on the bench.

We have been tricked, Master Crawford. My team and I. I know of the war- I was part of it a thousand years ago and ever since, I vowed to protect it from the Court of Sorrows, swearing a blood allegiance to Uwellyn and Casyllyn in the Fey Woods.

If ever the Herald of Ice & Snow would come back. If the Verenestrian Pact was broken, I would raise my blade against their Court of Unseelie and drive them back.

And for that reason, I trained two capable warriors to assist me. I heard Casyllyn's call days ago and it took me awhile to round up my trainees.

The Fey Woods has portals, hidden from inexperienced eyes. These can call forth the armies of the Seelie in an instant, but...

But the portals have been broken. The Seelie cannot send their support and so, I brought it upon myself to come and keep my oath to the Coven Leaders.

Yet, as my team and I prepared to come here, the circle that would place us in the midst of battle was broken. Someone has tampered with it. The Unseelie are not aware of the locations of these circles, which leads me to believe someone else has worked its way into them. How? I do not know.

But if I was not allowed to go into the woods, that means those with me have been sent elsewhere, probably back to their home. Returning here for them should be easy, but I don't think we are being allowed into the Fey Woods to help... and that notion is very troubling indeed.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Johann listen the mental communication and begins to think in what she just told him.

"The Pottsdorf's heir is just a very fat and lazy ruler. Nothing of legend but his appetite", he says laughing of the idea of Sir Pottsdorf fighting.

"Then that explains why no reinforcement came from the Seelie Court... Recently we found out a few things about this whole return of the Herald of Ice and Snow. There is a man who is playing chess with both courts, interested in weakening the forces in the Fey Woods to reach someone there. It can possible be the same person who broke those portals to make sure the Unseelie win this fight".

"Once you can get on your feet, maybe we should walk to the Fey Woods entrance and see if there is anything blocking your way in and if that's the case we wont be able to help much, but I have a few ideas already".

"This man who started this war is the one responsible for making Windemere fall under compulsion to wage war and is the same who kidnapped the Myrdiam Stag. If you're unable to enter the Fey Woods, maybe you can go look for the Stag itself, since it isnt in the woods anymore".

Speaking aloud, he question her.
    "Can you communicate with your friends and check their status and location?"

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

@Zephyr: You land and the frozen courtyard and Azakhiel looks at you and smiles, speaking in Tuilvilanuue, with no accent whatsoever.

As far as you're concerned, she might as well be a Raptoran in elven guise.

"I knew your people, raptoran. Brave ones. Because of them, I was able to scalp Wihinhilda... she's still around? She managed to escape me last time before I could finish her off.

Be kind and come to me, child. let me shake the hand of a rave race.""

Assuming you oblige her...

Azakhiel grips your hand in hers and looks deep into your eyes as a few snow flakes land on both of your hands, slipping to the sides and falling gently on the stone floor.

"You know Seraline, don't you? I see now..."

Then, she lets go of your hand and begins to get up, speaking again in the tongue of man.

"I think I feel better now... may we go inside? It wasn't so cold when I left my own home.""

@Johann: Azakhiel shakes her head when you inform her of Pottsdorff and his combat prowess.

"Elrich would certainly not approve. I doubt he's even been following events here. So his legacy is just a man forever hungry... what a waste of a lineage. If only he knew what his ancestor did for all...

At any rate, no time to reminisce. I must get my team back together. Please step aside, young pelorites."

Rosalind moves the neophytes aside as Xander bows to Azakhiel and takes out a small ledger, recording any notes of interest regarding a chance encounter with a being like her.

Mentally, the eladrin walks into the chapel proper and bows to the sun disc symbol, but addresses you all the same.

I had suspected foul play for awhile. A year ago, I was called to the Fey Woods to help save the Eastern Coven from a foul undead named Kazym. I could not fight him- my oath prevented direct intervention.

In my stead, a group of people- elves and humans- lead a perilous expedition through the Fey Woods to find a... cure to the problem.

They succeeded- in part.

I had not foreseen the consequences of these actions. Someone indeed has been playing a game for a long time. I fear that not only the Seelie but the Court of Sorrows and much more may be in danger if the one whom I suspect is involved.

And the Myrdian Stag is missing? That makes matters much worse- if they have killed it, the only solution is to slay Windemere and her courtiers.

Have any fallen so far?

@The Party: Azakhiel walks out of the Pelorite Chapel, with a multitude of young neophytes trailing her and the ghaele simply looks at them from the corner of her eye.

"Don't follow me.""

The snow gets rougher on the duchy and Azakhiel looks up at the dwindling star that is Arrallae in the distance.

"Conniving bastard, indeed. Lead me to this Southern Gate, please.""

It takes almost an hour to reach the abandoned post at the southern border, frozen completely and Azakhiel places her hand on the wood as a purple spiral sigil form around the surface, repelling her touch.

"As I suspected- they are not letting me inside. Let us see if my allies are a bit luckier...""

It takes ten minutes as the eladrin concentrates in a sending spell and then opens her eyes as a large red portal breaks a rift in reality and two figures emerge from it:

"Why must it be so cold? So this is why they call it the Eternal Winter? Sorry to have lost your trail, Azakhiel...

And my, oh my- mortals... and is that a Lumi? How delightful! None of you willing to make a deal? Absolute power? Immortality? A shiny new magic weapon? All an easy bargain.. hehe.""

Azakhiel shakes her head.

"No time for jokes. Belle the Grand Trickster of Wicked Souls, meet Johann, Dante, Eveline, Zephyr and Dietrich.""

Belle does a courteous bow and for those trained in religious matters, can see a pendant hanging around her delicate neck with the symbol of Olidammara, the Laughing Rogue.

It is another female's voice that can be heard from the portal as this one closes behind her:

"No time for joking at all! My apologies, Azakhiel. We should have held hands when we began the trip to the Material.

And I see you have met humans- strong, are they? Can they help us get in?""

Azakhiel taps the souther gate once more, causing the purple spiral to rebound her touch.

"Someone is keeping us out. This warrior is Fleur, Lastai's Mercy and Beloved of Gwynharwyf. They are my team.""

Show
    Know. the Planes to ID them

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr raises one feathered eyebrow, taking Azakhiel's hand and responding in Tuilvilanuue. "It is rare to find one who speaks this tongue, so far from our aerie. Wihinhilda still lives... we narrowly drove her away when last we met. And that was with many more of us in the battle. I do not relish the prospect of facing her again."

He nods at her mention of Seraline. "The battle so far has been challenging, and we have all been pushed to our breaking points. Some past them. But Arrallae has helped keep us alive and fighting."

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    Having met only one other being fluent in Tuilvilanuue so far... Zephyr wants to know how much he trusts Azakhiel's claims.

Sense Motive: (1d20+15)[20]

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

@Zephyr: Azakhiel holds on to your hand as you reply in your native tongue and inquire as to how she can speak it as fluently.

The Eladrin smiles as the snow falls upon both.

"By the Grace of the Court of Stars, child. I can speak any language known in the multiverse.

So the Crow Queen still lives.... then I suppose I will have to remedy that. She is a vicious one, that fey. Cruel and sadistic. Even more than many amongst the Herald's close circle of courtiers.

You may not have to face her again, Zephyr- be content in that knowledge.

And... Arrallae, you say? A new name in this conflict.""

The ghaele knight lets go off your hand and something is quite clear to you:

She isn't being direct. Not entirely. Something about her words and the way she held your hand and looked at you.

But maybe it's paranoia. After all, you have been trapped in a House of Lies for an entire day, facing illusions and such.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

While the group is walking to the Fey Woods, Deitrich comes alongside Johann and says quietly, "Do you think we could turn the Duke into a great warrior if we told him that a sword and trident are just a big fork and knife?"

Dietrich salutes with hand on chest the newcomers and introduces himself when given the chance.

"Arrallae, yes, she was a new name to us all. I'm not sure what we know of her is entirely accurate, but she's incredibly powerful. Incredibly good, too. Right now she's in the midst of the Unseelie keeping this winter at bay. It has nearly destroyed the city and everything in it before she blunted the cold. We don't know how long she'll be able to keep up her strength." Dietrich points out the faint star above the trees that is Arrallae, "That daytime star? That's her, such is the power she is channeling in defense of those who are neither kin nor aware of her existence."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

As he walk towards the gate, he listen to Dietrich's idea on how to create the ultimate warrior out of Pottsdorf and burst in laughter, "Maybe it can work, my friend".

He then watch as Azakhiel touch the entrance and is repeled and wonders what kind of magical effect could be that.

Spoiler: Spellcraft
    Show
    To ID what happened. Johann's bonus is: +25

"Pleased to meet you", Johann bows slightly to the newcomers.

"Who do you suspect is behind that? I can confirm if your suspicious is right or not. And yes, a few coirtiers have fallen already by us and a few others".

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

"Nice to meet you. Now, if you allow me, I'll cast some spells to handle wathever is beyond."

He starts with his defensive ritual of calling Wee Jas protection to what lies beyond.

"I still have one spell that can target everyone here, perhaps that will help you if you expect to face hostility."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Persisted Divine Power
    Superior Resistance
    Divine Insight
    Sign
    False Life (1d10+10)[18]
    Show

Dante Levasseur - The Crimsom Inquisitor (avatar) and his Lumi cohort, Eveline Dawn now being followed by an old acquaintance, Aurora, the voice of Barachiel.

Requiem Macabre Doc

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

@Dietrich: Azakhiel walks through the duchy and overhears your comment regarding Pottsdorff, outfitted for war under the pretense of a free for all buffet.

"A sad day indeed it is when such illustrious legacy becomes the subject of jokes. I would bring it upon myself to visit this man and lecture him, but not my place and time...

Far more important matters are at hand here than a lazy aristocrat.""

And when Belle and Fleur come into the picture, you point to the shining star that is Arrallae in the distance, which causes both ladies to squint their eyes and look up.

"And here I thought Oerth had two suns...""

"So she keeps the winter at bay. For someone to hold off an entire season on her own....""

Azakhiel looks at both women, a stern look on her face.

"To the matter at hand! See if both of you can break off the seal preventing us from getting inside this forest.""

Belle takes a few steps back and begins to channel divine power in the form of a giant green spectral mask, resembling the pendant around her neck.

Fleur unsheathes a great sword, etched with ancient runes which resonate in green light as well and both spell and blade rush at the gate and Azakhiel takes a few steps back as both of her warriors are pushed back several feet, leaving from their attack, just a few dark purple ripples on the surface.

Belle scratches her head as she gets up.

"That magic repelled me... such force!""

Fleur gets up and grips her blade and gets ready to charge back again when Azakhiel raises her hand.

"It's pointless. The magic that is at work on this gate and most likely around the forest keeps us specifically out.

We cannot go inside... unless those who can, can find a way to break this barrier.

In the mean time, you could help us with information- we are short on time here and cannot stand by looking at a gate. Do you know where the Stag's remains are? If it comes to him being dead, maybe we can bring his soul back, but I will need to find his body first.

Not that I like the idea of the stag being dead- it is an almost divine being.""

@Johann: You watch both Belle and Fleur attempt to break the magic on the gate to no success.

That power keeping them out... it isn't too different than the one keeping you inside Moruga, but unlike last time, Aenar was able to teleport freely... at least from one side.

Maybe it works the same- if you can get these three across.

Abjurations like the Greater Dispel Magic have not been sufficient to bring the barrier down, but you ought to know of other ways around such tricks.

The two ladies dust off the snow off their clothes after their failed barrage on the gate and bow back.

"A pleasure to meet you, human. But Azakhiel: we cannot get in. What do we do?""

The eladrin looks at the gate and replies mentally to you:

It is an enemy of Pottsdorff's ancestor, the sun above, me ...and everything in between. I have met him once. Enough to know that this situation is beyond a simple fey feud.

A name thankfully lost to time, with only a title remaining. One I shall utter once only, even within telepathy, for not wishing to direct his attention to us:

The First.

And it is because of my suspicions, that I need to know as much details as you can provide, Johann: what has transpired since Windemere came here? My plan was to storm her palace, but that is not possible now, even with Belle and Fleur by my side.

@Dante: You were able to recognize Azakhiel, but the other two?

Not a clue. They seem otherworldly, but so does Eveline, so they could be from anywhere, really.

Azazhiel shakes her head.

"Don't bother using your spells on us, inquisitor- if you plan to go inside, use your spells on those who can go inside. We are banned from entering for the time being."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

"Worry not, that spell will last for the day and targets everyone in a sizeable circle, I don't need to choose between you and my comrades"

He looks at the ward

"This ward is mostly curious. Rather specific too. I wage this is here precisely to protect the Stag. We will see what we can do about it, but if this ward is there to separate the Stag from us, it certainly won't be a trivial task.

Now gather around, don't be shy."

He cast a powerful spell that bless everyone inside the circle

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Persisted Righteous Wrath of the Faithful on everyone, including the party of 3 outsiders.
    +3 morale to Atks and Damages and one extra attack per turn.
    Show

Requiem Macabre Doc

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

@Dante: Belle looks at Fleur, who looks at the Southern Gate and clenches her fist as the three outsiders walk towards you and, calling on Wee Jas, you grant everyone the ability to fight exceptionally well, which garners the gratitude from the three maidens.

Azakhiel shakes her head at your insinuation regarding the barrier on the gate.

"I was around when the Verenestrian pact was signed- the Stag is free to roam wherever it pleases. It cannot be contained. Should not, being a more precise term.

Having an affinity for these lands, the stag has chosen to remain here by its own free will. Maybe that is what it was lead to believe when it was given life by Verenestra herself? Who knows, but nobody- no mortal or fey- has ever placed a hand upon the Myrdian Stag.

And nobody could, really- it is extremely elusive. It has survived for a thousand years and eluded all manner of predators natural to that forest.

No, Dante- that seal is recent. I know of this because I was here a year ago and I was unimpeded to come and go as I pleased.

Besides, it seems to be keyed off precisely against me, Belle and Fleur. Someone was expecting us to come here to help and decided to brush us aside...""

Belle rubs her chin and paces a few feet away from the gate.

"But who would know we were coming? We have been away from the mortal realm for a long time...""

Fleur crosses her arms and shuts her eyes in thought.

"An enemy, clearly. We have many... but none that can do this."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Johann watch the girls trying to break the seal and look at Azakhiel.

"If you're afraid to tell his title twice amd considering who he make an enemy of... then I'll do the same. He's the one behind the disappearance of the Myrdiam Stag and from giving an artifact-like ring that is compulsioning Windemere. And the Stag lives, if only barely, but he's being watched and many protections ward him from being divined upon so all we have is one clue".

He then look at the others, "This is sensitive knowledge amd we had to die for it. So I will have you asking it to all to hear if you're interested since it dont depend only on me to give this away: we dont know your intentions and and we spent the last night in a place called Hall of Lies, so we have been scarred. But one thing I can tell: four of Windemere's courtiers lies dead already. Iki Ryo being the strongest one we managed to beat so far".

"Whoever doesnt want you in these woods probably fear you can mess his plans. And if he's the same who started this, then I guess the enemy of our enemy is our friend. I believe I can trick this seal thing, but I would like to know you all best before telling you these stuff".

He pause for amoment. "In fact I got an idea".
    He focus on Uwellyn and begin to Send to her.

"Uwellyn: is Azekhiel, Belle and Fleur trustworthy? They are with us. Where are you headed and who is with you? Got info about the Stag".

He waits for them to voice themselves and to the dryad to vouch for them before doing anything else.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

@Johann: Azakhiel maintains her calm as Belle and Fleur discuss how to best get inside the forest.

So it is he who is behind this war... now my suspicions are clear- he wants what was sealed here three hundred years ago.

Why did Archaidous have to rewrite the ritual? Too late now to turn back time.

But you say that something compels Windemere? That is new to me. I lost track of her and her Court when it was banished from Oerth a thousand years ago. She should not be here at all...

He's trying to bring them together again... and after all it cost to stop it! That I cannot allow!

But if you say that the stag lives... then we have a chance. She won't have to endure this winter anymore and can be made safe again behind her seal.

We can foil his plan, Johann!

@The Party: You open up a link with everyone present: Dietrich, Zephyr, Dante, Eveline, Xander, Fleur, Belle, and Azakhiel and reveal what you know.

Azakhiel looks at the distant star and then back at you as the snow keeps falling on the abandoned streets of Justcrown.

The one who began this war wishes to claim her for his own design. Doing so will prove instrumental in the undoing of many things that for eons myself and a few others have attempted to safeguard.

You need to understand... there are things best left unknown, so I ask that you do not pry further, but trust me: I am an ally of these woods and now with what I have learned and confirmed, yours as well.

Windemere, being a puppet or not, cannot be allowed to continue this Eternal Winter of hers. The death of the one Dietrich mentioned means the beginning of something far worse. There is a reason Steiner sealed her in the first place, away from his eyes.

I fought in this war against Windemere a thousand years ago on the side of the Seelie and will do so again, but I had suspected that someone had been observing that first war from the shadows even then.

But my mind was too busy engaged in battle and then, the war was over. I turned my eyes on a House who had defected their former allegiances and trained them to protect Oerth and beyond from threats such as Windemere and many others.

Belle and Fleur clear their throats and look awkwardly the other way as Azakhiel continues.

The Hall of Lies and Iki Ryo.... I recall a place like that, but my battles took me to Helheim, where I was trapped for an entire week in the Rookerie of Souls that Wihinhilda lords over.

There, me and several brave Raptorans stood our ground against the Crow Queen and although they fell, it was because of them that I was given the one chance in a million to strike at her and send her flying away from this world.

You say four have fallen. Good. She doesn't have that many courtiers left. Not many with significant power, at least.

Still... she alone will prove to be a problem. Back during the first war against her, we had an army and the help of all the fey in these woods.

Not anymore.

Azakhiel opens a small leather pouch tied around her belt and takes out a unique, wooden wand, handing it to Dante:

You want trust? Here. This is a copy of Morwel's Grace, crafted by the queen of my Court untold ages ago for the most dire of purposes and to keep those devoted to a righteous fight standing, as long as their souls shine, no matter how dark the situation...

You are familiar with the Revivify spell, are you not? Morwel's Grace holds ten such spells in it, much like a wand.

Unlike a regular wand, Morwel's Grace can be recharged- a man of pious knowledge need only cast the spell into the wand and this one will replenish, a casting per charge.

But even more. This wand was not meant for mortal hands, so it will be of as much use to those native to this world, as to those that are not.

The body need not be dead immediately for Morwel's Grace to work on them. A soul may have departed the body up to a day and the wand will still work, but the cost for using it will be doubled.

I had intended to keep it myself, but seeing as how I cannot enter the Woods, having it collect dust is an exercise in futility. The last wand that i gave like this was a year ago, to the group of men and women who trekked through these woods.

Because of it, they were able to breach Balion's mad trials and save the forest. last I knew of its location, a young fey by the name of Lysa Silentwhisper held it for the group as they sailed across the Ossian way...

But I have no idea where it is now.

Belle chimes in mentally at the mention of the wand's location.

My sister and I were there, above the Cliffs of Good Hope. Lysa, Archaidous and others sailed on the S.S. Dauphin and would have made it past Arethussa...

And then that witch, Elenwen, decided to interrupt their chant to soothe the former priestess. Many lives were lost during that fight. Fleur and I had Elenwen cornered and were ready to make her pay for her crimes above the sunlit skies, but you know her:

She escaped. A lot of trouble she has caused since. I have to wonder how Chorallis did not keep a better eye on her out in her tower.

Azakhiel looks at everyone and then walks a few paces away, responding to all.

She always was that way- twisted and treacherous. Many good people have been doing her dirty work...many without her knowledge, but that is neither here nor there now at this point.

Go and inquire, Johann. See that my words are true.

Xander absorbs all the information and begins jotting it down when Azakhiel places her hand on his.

"No recording, wizard. Please.""

@Johann: You walk away from the group and begin casting the lengthy evocation and your mind wanders miles and miles away from the South gate and reach Uwellyn.

Johann... Azakhiel is here? By Verenestra, we are saved! She is a loyal friend of us Seelie, but...

The other two... give me a few.

It's nearly half an hour when Casyllyn's voice reaches your mind.

I am aware of what transpires outside, Johann. Azakhiel is indeed to be trusted. As for Belle and Fleur- I trust them.

They're Luna's aunts.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

He holds the Morwel's Grace in his hands.

"I... I don't think I ever held an artifact of such power before. Thank you, Azakhiel. But I don't think I can repay you for that. We can look after the ward, and we will, but to be honest, our priority is rescuing the children trapped inside Kinderheim. But rest assured, if there is a way to lay down the ward, we will do it, whoever set in motion all this seems awfully too scared of you and I want to know exactly why."

He stores the wand in his Hardy Haversack.

"You said this Lysa Somethingwhisper had a wand like this. And she once was in the company of Archaidous. That's one name that I keep hearing of, lately. If I can plane my hand in a token of them, I might be able to scry. Of course, we don't know if those two are in the same place or if they still have the Morwel's Grace in their possession, but it's worth a try."

Dante looks to the party again.

"Remember, there is an outpost in our way to Kinderheim. Acording to the mage, heavily guarded."
    Show

Requiem Macabre Doc

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

@Dante: You pocket Morwel's Grace and thank Azakhiel for it.

The ghaele nods and looks up at the distant shining star that is Arrallae.

"We are all concerned about this situation, Dante... more than you can imagine. We all cannot go in there and help directly, so it will have to be indirectly.

Repay this gift, if you are so inclined, by saving her and the children in Kinderheim.

And regarding the one who set this in motion... I wish he were scared of me, but truth be told...""

Azakhiel walks up to the South gate and places her hand on it, causing the purple ripples to appear on the surface, preventing her entrance.

"He is not a foe I wish to face, merely stop his plans. And I believe you and the others can- you brought down four of Windemere's courtiers. You can finish the others.... and hopefully quickly.""

Regarding lysa and Archaidous, Azakhiel shrugs.

"That mage has a noble heart, but he never left anything here. Nothing for me, at least.

Lysa I never got to meet her- Belle and Fleur told me about her exploits out in the Ossian Way, but like I mentioned earlier, we cannot be here for extended periods of time. We know they were headed to Halmathan, but that is as much as I know about them at this point.""

@The Party: Azakhiel walks back to the group, as Belle and Fleur stand by her side.

"We have shared what we know. You possess an item that may very well tilt the scales in your favor in that forest...

Now, it is time you shared information with us- where is the stag? I know he is alive, but certainly not here. If you have any leads, now would be a good time for us to know.""

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

"Turns out we know exactly three things about the Stag.

First, like Johann said, it's not in the Fey Woods. We met someone you might know about, Nistle Swansong, he was the one who relayed us this information, and I confirmed it by asking my goddess. Since you are being so helpful and willing to build trust between us, I'll share what I can. Swansong actually gave us a lot of information, but first, let's talk about the Stag.

It's being watched. By whom? I don't know. Probably by who kidnapped it, but it's just guessing. And is warded against divinations too, so don't count on those to find it. These are the three information I have on him. I know it's precarious, but I had too much to ask for Wee Jas and only afforded those three questions for the Myrdian Stag.

What we do, is some information regarding other stuff. Nistle was the one who told us about Windemere's condition, about the ring, and the saphires. He was being held at Iki and we freed him. We also know we need one sword to break the enchantment on Windemere, Fenvarel I believe it's called.

And that this enchantment is only there for a few months. According to Nistle, when he returned, she was the one holding her court to not go rampaging. I'm not sure the one who kidnapped the Stag foresaw this change of heart, so a man, possibly the same responsible for the Stag's disappearance, visited her and cursed her. Now we have the Stag out of the Fey Woods, being guarded, and an angry Windemere and her court.

However, I only arrived in this whole mess recently and all I know comes mostly from Nistle or my divinations. The rest of the gang might know a bit more."

He abandoned the idea of holding information from them. Every evidence says they are allies and being uncooperative right now sounds pointless. Allies need to trust each other.

Eveline interrupts Dante's thoughs

"That's not everything we know Dante, you're forgetting one more thing. Nistle tracked the Stag. Someone gave him it's whereabouts. I don't know exactly what did that, it was a... don't know how I call it, a flower or something similar. Now the kidnapper has the Stag in his custody, kept alive barely, possibly as a last resort in case Windemere antagonizes him."

He facepalms

"Yes. Yes. Forgive my lacking memory, ladies, my friend is right. It wasn't a flower though, it was a fey, a petal, by the name of Belladona. Curiously, I still have one scry spell. But with only a name, scrying is unlikely to end with a success. Are you familiar with that name... Belladona? Finding her might lead you to the Stag.

The other cue..."

"...ask for the Ferrin's fate" Eveline thinks aloud

"...Yes. That too. Nistle left us with that cryptic message. Was the main reason I went through all the trouble of trying to track him. We know he is dead, that is the only information about his 'fate' we have. And that he was Archaidous mentor, you know, the one you remember were tagging along the fey with the Morwel's Grace"

After that, Eve aproaches Dante seemingly curious about one last question

"And how you call those colourful stuff around flowers you have here in material plane?"

"Those are also petals, Eve. I think those feys are named after that, or the other way around."

"Really, you should start giving different names to different things."
    Last edited by Dudu; 2016-07-02 at 04:40 AM.
    Show

Requiem Macabre Doc

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr stands beside the party as the group communes through Johann's mental link. He knows the fey are hiding something from him... but what fey so far has been wholly truthful? And besides, the powerful artifact given to Dante was more than enough evidence of their desire to see Windemere and her court brought down.

Even as it appeared that might not be the end of the struggle. This whole plot was just one move in a grander game, one spanning centuries, being fought by players unknown. To be able to manipulate the greatest of the fey was a level of influence beyond mortal ken... the province of the gods. And yet, here they were.

Zephyr did his best not to react as he listened to the faerie tale, full of new information and familiar names, but he filed it away in his mind. Any leverage he could acquire would be of value... and knowledge is power.

He casts his thoughts to the group. It sounds as if the way forward is to continue stripping Windemere of her allies. The more of them we can drive off, the more vulnerable she becomes at Glacielheim. We can seek out the Stag and a way to defeat this abjuration as we go.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

@Dante: Azakhiel turns and looks at you intently when you mention the Stag.

"If The Song of Ruin is taking sides in this conflict, then it's even worse than I thought- last time, that fey was content merely watching the chaos and destruction ensue.

I doubt this person- and I hesitate to use that term when referring to him- would watch the Stag personally. It's not his style. He has been absent from Oerth for a very long time. Unreachable by any and all divinations, beyond the realities I am aware of even.

Use of powerful magic to shield the stag's location comes as no surprise: Uwellyn, Casyllyn, Petunia and many others in the woods yonder have the means to track him if he ever got lost using powers arcane and divine... sometimes both.""

It is the mention of the sapphires, the ring that controls and Windemere and Fenvarel, which causes the Ghaele to look up at the distant dwindling star in the northern sky.

"Yes. That is the name of her blade. Forged in ancient times against an ancient enemy. I was certain she had forgotten how to wield it by now...

But none of you have it here? Unless you have it in a regular pack, you cannot conceal it. If Fenvarel is needed against Windemere and whatever holds her under his command, I hope it is in safe hands.""

Then you mention the Herald's change in temper. How, according to Nistle, she was not interested in coming back here at all.

"Dante, do not underestimate the power of Time. Windemere was indeed a cruel Herald, worthy of the Unseelie Courts, but I know that one from these woods, the Autumn Leaves of War, voluntarily accepted to go back with her and her dark fey.

Ironic that a warrior like him, devoted to War would be able to soothe her heart. That was a promise he made to me, Uwellyn and Casyllyn before the last words on the Verenstrian pact were written on the Myrdian Stag. I thought it impossible... but he did manage.

I hope he can be saved, for Uwellyn's sake. Well, then, my retinue and I will delay you no longer. We will find a way to get inside later and...""

It is at that moment that Eveline speaks out, which causes the eladrin and his two warrior women to listen to her words with much attention, and then to yours.

Azakhiel shakes her head in dissapointment.

"Belladona the mad petal. Self proclaimed Queen of the Fey Woods.

Back when Balion went thoroughly insane, for reasons not relevant at this point, he went on a rampage in the Fey Woods.

The appearance of the dry lich Kazym did not help, either, who poisoned his mind with mad ideas about rescuing his beloved goddess... all the while destroying the woods in withered trees and trails of sand and husks of salt.

Many hid from those two, the woods being so large. But there was one who fell in love with the Zealous Guardian. One who embraced his mantra that Might makes Right.

That was the petal Belladona. With the ensuing chaos in the woods, the tiny fey enlisted a rag tag group of hill giants, orcs and goblins, with her as leader.

They called themselves... the Boom Boom Band.

Unlike other petals in the woods, Belladonna had an affinity for destruction. She believed that if she caused as much chaos as possible, this would attract Balion's attention to her and be together.

Needless to say, she was insane by that point. Archaidous and others who traveled here dealt with her group, but at a cost:

Meic Rhodri, a jasidan necromancer, was felled by her powers. His body buried in sacred ground far into the woods.

When the Balion problem was solved and she was allowed to cleanse the woods, belladonna became scarce. She disappeared and nobody took notice of her, having so much to rebuild.

I can see that monster using her fragile mind to trick her and trap the Stag- Petals are harmless and one of the few creatures that this divine animal would approach willingly.

I cannot put her as a mastermind in all of this, but like Windemere, another pawn in his schemes. If she is alive, maybe divining upon her might work, but knowing him, if he has no more use for her, she may very well be dead by now.""

It is the last name that catches Azakhiel off guard.

"Ferrin? Archaidous' master? I spoke to Archaidous very little. I was in the Eastern Coven for most of their travels, using all my power for the pool not to dry and kill the remaining dryads...

Who is that man?""

Belle's eyes widen and takes a step forward, as Fleur gives her sister a puzzled look.

"Archmage Ferrin Gollor, Azakhiel. Powerful elven mage. This happened a few years ago...

Back when our House estranged itself from the Powers that Be and became independent, a few like myself and Fleur, horrified by what our kin and those that held the strings were planning to do, sought hospice with the the upper planes.

You being our first choice. Our only choice.

Archons would have torn us to shreds without question.

Guardinals would have acted similarly... a gamble in their case.

But Eladrins and us... we share some common traits. The rest, as you know, is history.

However, not all who left our House sought redemption.

Babu, the Pitfiend.

Babu saw this opportunity as a chance to establish his own domain in the Prime. Free to give in to his malevolent whims, he sought out the farthest most uninhabited place on this world from where he could slowly amass an army.

His target was Ironwood Tower, in Celadon Forest, home to the grugach, or wild elves as mortals know them.

Ironwood Tower was home to Archmage Ferrin. He and I, we... we had spoken before and formed a peaceful alliance. It was his desire to learn more about the planes and when Babu came to attack his tower, I was called to assist.

I was, sadly, too late.

Ferrin was a powerful and noble mage, but this Pitfiend was one of our Houses most vile and powerful. He decimated the apprentices Ferrin had and, with knowledge acquired from the Lower Planes, he was able to not only kill Ferrin, but trap his soul and bind it to him.

I know that only one survived the massacre at Ironwood- a young apprentice, whose name I never learned... until today.""

Fleur walks up to her sister and pushes her.

"You know I have been looking for Babu for years! Why did you not tell me where he was? I have trained to slay him!""

Belle sighs and composes herself.

"Babu has the power of Ironwood under his command, sister. He is now known as the Horror of Ironwood. Not only that, but the tower itself and the areas around it are a host to rogue devils that have sworn fealty to him.

The two of us would not stand a chance, but if what this Nistle fellow says is true, then yes, the Stag would be very well kept and locked up in there.""

Show

Know. Planes to ID a Pit Fiend

Azakhiel cracks her knuckles and begins to walk away from the group.

"Now it's three. A Pit Fiend, you say? Good- I will cut him down and bring the stag. We will do it together.""

@The Party: Azakhiel looks at all of you and then at the gate.

"If you wish to come with us to Celadon Forest, say so now. If not, we part ways here. Use Morwel's Grace wisely...

And a few more things:

If you do decide to stay and you do free her, at no point, must my name be mentioned. This is paramount, do you understand. You never saw me or have heard my name.""

And then, the ghaele knight looks at all of you, her expression stern.

"And if anyone has anything to say...about anything else that might help, now would be the time."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Johann listen intently for the story and ponders thoughtfully for all what was told to them.

If they follow her and manage to save the Stag, they may end this whole winter in a single strike and rescue a powerful archmage... maybe he would even let Johann peek in his spellbook out of gratitude.

"My heart is divided. Cassylin told.that in the first war they managed to banish the fae, bit the kids that they held hostages where taken away from this world. Should the Stag step once again in the Fey Woods I fear those children never get to see their parents anymore and Windemere will still be up to no good due the Nibelungen Ring's enchantment. Deadly Winter or not, she is a victim too".

"However", he adds, "Saving the Stag amd stopping this Winter may save countless lifes and foil that man's plans which I'm sure isnt to bring love and peace to everyone. I guess our best bet is to save the Stag and stopping this for once and for all, but since we are in an even number, I'll wont vote for our next course of action", he says looking to Dante, Dietrich and Zephyr, "No offense Xander and Eveline, but I believe that Silas and the others need your help to survive Helheim and that you'll follow Dante's decision".

"I leave it up to you guys to decide if we keep our original plan or if we go and save the Stag".

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Dante is looking upwards to the sky, in contemplation. Then he closes his eyes and make a sad smile

"Tarnish my soul... That was what my divination told me when I asked how I shoud proceed to Kinderheim, 'proceed knowing you might tarnish your soul'"

Looking to Johann, he remarks

"You can't quantify lives, Johann. Your logic is flawless, but I'm starting to believe there's more to that choice then figure which path will save most lives. The intricacies of morals may go beyond the simpler utilitarianism phylosophy.

However, I find it hard to decide which way to go based on one thing. What if those children are meant only to draw us to Kinderheim, they hold them as hostages, is that right? So, it's possible they don't care the slightest about them, and they'll slaughter them once they get what they want, that is, us. If you just let ourselves be guided by our sense of moral, we might fall into an enemies trap. It's not merely a choice between the children or the stag, since we don't know if we will succeed or not.

So, before I decide, I want to know two things. First I ask to you three outsiders. Do you need to head to the Stag right now? No matter how big you believe your chances are, it will certainly be bigger if you let we join. Unlike the children who have their time counting, that Stag is there for months and isn't going anywhere, so waiting is an option.

And the second question is for you, Johann, Zephyr and Dietrich. What exactly were the circunstances in which the children were kidnapped?"
    Show

Requiem Macabre Doc

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

@Johann: Xander adjusts his glasses and looks at the South Gate.

"I am sure that saving the stag is important, Johann. Of course it is, but I made my decision before learning all this: my friends are in that forest. And I will keep them safe.

I understand if you want to go to Ironwood, but I have no intel on what else is there unlike here. A wizard's tower is not a place to rush in blind.""

@Dante: Azakhiel listens to your flawless reasoning and then points at the shining star in the distance.

"I do not know if we will make it back, truth be told. I have trained for a long time to hunt creatures of the nether realms, same as Belle and Fleur.

I know that bringing the stag here will end the Eternal Winter, but if you think we have time on our hands... think again.

The Stag may be kept alive in Ironwood and it may take us time to save him. A few days. Maybe a week, but if they are intent on keeping it alive, we may persevere enough to bring him back here.

That isn't the same case for her. The only reason I am heading an opposite way now is because we cannot go into the forest.

If we all go to Ironwood and despite our tremendous abilities, stall and wait and probably even fail, then missing children and a tarnished soul will be the last of your worries."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

"I see. And I made my decision. I'll vote for Kinderheim.

And I'll do it considering two points.

First, if it's indeed a trap, we can't use that as an excuse to let the innocent die, tarnishing a soul or not. And a trap is only a trap if they can beat their prey, which thanks to the artifact you just handled to me, might be a harder task than they might have planned.

Second, give me a lock of your hair. I know it's a weird request, but it'll make scrying on you much easier. I still have one scry left, a Greater Scrying. And I'll use it to scry on you, ladies. Once we are finished at Kinderheim, either because we completed our objective or we failed and are running away, we can scry on you and then we will be able to teleport to your place and aid you in retrieving the Stag. Retrieving that Stag is in the best interest of all of us and you should not carry this burden all on your own."

He then looks at Dietrich and Zephyr, to see if they are ok or they want to vote for the Wizard Tower.
    Show

Requiem Macabre Doc