New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Lightbulb [M&M 2e] Energy Controller (Electricity) + Martial Artist character mix

Hello, folks.

I'm new to Mutants & Masterminds and our group will be using the second edition, playing Power Level 10 characters, so I came here searching for some advice from experienced players.
    After reading the Basic and the Ultimate Power books, I came up with the idea to try to make a blend between two archetypes: The Energy Controller and the Martial Artist. The idea is to be fairly good at close-combat and ranged combat using Electrical Powers and Martial Arts, somewhat similar to Raiden from Mortal Kombat.

Looking at the two archetypes examples in the basic book, we can see that the Martial Artist doesn't hit hard, but is very precise: +16 Atk/+4 Dmg. The Energy Controller, on the other hand, is the very opposite, being really a heavy hitter (like the Powerhouse), although far less accurate: +8 Atk/+12 Dmg. I think the middle ground between these two examples would be a +12 Atk/+8 Dmg. However, I want some extra power, so I'll just leave as the standard +10 Atk/+10 Dmg.

One can realize they have some overlapping points that helps to build the idea: Both archetypes have the Accurate Attack and Power Attack feats, which can be used both in close-ranged as well as in long-ranged, tweaking power and precision as the situation demands. Furthermore, the Electrical Control power has the Thunder Punch as an Alternate Power, which is awesome because it enables the hero to totally dump Strenght (+0) while being able to fight hand-to-hand as powerfully as one of his lightning bolts.

Martial Artist's Critical Strike feat can help to push the close-combat damage a little higher, somewhat compensating for the risks of the proximity. And the Energy Controller's All-Out Attack feat can increase the accuracy of your unarmed and blasting attacks; combined with Accurate Attack, it can raise the Atk up to +20.

Finally, I think it's kind of odd that the Martial Artist template doesn't have the Evasion feat (the Costumed Adventurer does). I would avoid this feat if the Teleport power could do the effect, but as far as I can see, it doesn't, so it's a good idea to have at least one rank.

So the character would be something like this:

STR 10 (+0) DEX 18 (+4) CON 14 (+2) INT 10 (+0) WIS 12 (+2) CHA 10 (+0)
    TOUGHNESS 12/2* FORTITUDE 7 REFLEX 9 WILL 6
    Feats: Accurate Attack; Power Attack; All-Out Attack; Critical Strike 4; Evasion 1
    Powers: Electrical Controll 10 (Alternate Powers: Ball of Lightning, Electrical Aura and Thunder Punch); Force Field 10 (Extra: Impervious); Immunity 5 (Electricity); Flight 4 (Power feat: Subtle); Teleport 3 (Power feat: Turnabout; Change Direction)
    Combat: Attack +10, Damage +10 (unarmed or lightning), Defense +8, Initiative +4

* without Force Field.

Ok, so anyone has advices or hints about how to optimize this character to fulfill the character concept? i would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: [M&M 2e] Energy Controller (Electricity) + Martial Artist character mix

I've gotta say, that's a hilariously seamless combination. Now I wonder what other fun combos can be had...

My experience is 3e, not 2e, so I'm not sure what exploits there are for you, but props on gluing together two archetypes so perfectly, and good luck with your first game!
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show