New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Where do you keep your philactory?

I was discussing this with my friends, and we couldn't come up with a clear choice. if you were a Lich, would you keep it on you or hide it away some where no one will find it?
    Signet, the eternal.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

On an island where many NPCs were slaughtered by ooze monsters while the party tried desperately to escape. Ah, Memories.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Where do you keep your philactory?

I would not keep it on me. That rather defeats the purpose of the phylactery. I'd keep it in one of my secret bases, wherefrom I could recover and wait out the pesky PCs.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Keep it on the moon, or in some other environment that is hostile to living beings but doesn't bother Undead. Set up a one way portal between my moon base and some other stronghold. Proceed to not make enemies of other undead with magic.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

If you want to be nice to your players hide it in a hollowed out cavity of an Iron Golem or Dragon Zombie stomach . They wont search very hard and probably miss it . Few players are keen to search stomach contents of monsters .

If you want to be nasty the best place to hide the "vase" is on the plain of negative energy . Unless one of your players is a nosferat.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnotKnormal View Post
    I was discussing this with my friends, and we couldn't come up with a clear choice. if you were a Lich, would you keep it on you or hide it away some where no one will find it?
    First, I would be casting innumerable divination spells until I had an idea on how often my ideas fail (various astral natives waltzing into pocket planes, for instance). But then again, this is likely the assumed behavior of modern [abusive] wizards who learned to be batman over the internet (although I'd suspect any college of wizardry would figure the same out fast).

Pocket planes that are only accessible from obscure locations on the astral plane, preferably with multiple iterated planes and sufficient misdirection into nasty traps (plane shifting in a highly trapped lich's lair is not a safe thing. More than a few adventurers followed a portal straight into an Abyssal prison).

If pocket planes aren't an option, something requiring teleport (and preferably multiple teleports). Note that this would have to change if the DM considered making a campaign resistant to "scry and die". My guess is that an underground chamber that is only accessible by teleport would be in danger of all the scry and die options in the rulebook.

If I wanted to feel like really diabolically proper lich, I would let my enemies guard the philactory. This would likely involve a pocket plane, but with an entrance in a holy shrine, gold dragon lair, or somewhere that a good party would have a hard time convincing the locals to let them in. To be specific, they really shouldn't be personal enemies (who would attack and assist an attack) but merely be more likely the "unhelpful friend my good enemy doesn't want to hurt" and the "enemy of my evil enemies".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

If this is 5th edition: I use the Demiplane spell to create a storage depot for it. I can access it or leave it at any time with a spell slot, it's nigh-impossible to find with magic, I can ward it beyond measure, and I can have literally hundreds of decoy rooms floating out there when the adventurers try to look for it.

If this is 3.5e: I willingly give my phylactery to a genie capable of granting wishes, and promise it three favors each time I respawn from it. Adventurers are going to have a hell of a time convincing someone with unlimited wishes, their own small nation of resources, and greed that outstrips a dragon's to part with one of their most unique treasures.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I generally have three different aproaches to the problem.

1: Place it in an incredibly obscure and secure place. Personal favourite: In the center of the sun of a different solar system, protected by a weirdstone, walls of force, forbiddance, traps, golems, effigies, ice assassins and many, many other things.

2: Protect it against divination and make sure that it can not be easily identified. Then find a way for the good guys to protect it.

3: Make it something that no one in their right mind would destroy. Banish an ancient evil into a pocket dimension and keep it sealed with your phylactery.
    Yar! I'm a signature virus, copy me into your signature!

An RPG I'm working on

Homebrew: Arcane Architect

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Misdirection is also helpful.
    In a 3.5 game I was in, we fought a lich that seemed to its phylactery around its neck. We then found a hidden door, which had a chest full of similar phylacteries. (Or maybe it was gold coins, and somehow we deduced one of them was the phylactery. Been a few years.)
    We wound up hauling the chest to a prison with anti-magic field set up, to have a safe spot to smash phylacteries in. Anytime the lich started to regen, he was smashed. Repeat until the real phylactery was smashed.

If I were designing a lich I wanted to be smart (which I probably wouldn't do, if I wanted the PCs to actually destroy it), I'd:
    -have the lich wear something that could be a phylactery, to fool foolish folk
    -have a hidden base full of traps, golems, non-sentient undead/ooze. It is where I relax, not where I have plans in play or meet with minions, so it's hard for heroes for find. Entire place is shielded against teleportation and planar travel, plus various divination wards. (To reach it, teleport nearby and fly, ideally while invisible.)
    -maybe install a Magic Mouth to mislead heroes who find it, such as stating it is a shrine to Pelor. If this, then keep the undead hidden further in.
    -in it, have a hidden treasureroom where most of my stuff is. Enshrine a fake one there. Have a hidden panel where another fake one is.
    -somewhere in the base (not in the hidden treasureroom), have used Stone Shape or similar spells to place the real phylactery hidden into the stone. (If necessary, have a hallowed-out space that fits my body. I forget how the 'nearest space' works with liches regenerating.) Rest and Stone Shape to an area not shielded from teleportation, then port out.

It'd likely be safer to have it hidden somewhere random in a shielded, warded area deep in the earth, but this method makes it easier to keep track of where it is. Same reason I'd avoid something like using a common coin I put into circulation; too much risk I'd lose track of it and something bad happen.

9. - Top - End - #9

OldWizardGuy

For extra misdirection, don't let anyone know you're a lich. Use illusion spells to look alive or as some other monster. Then people won't think to use divination to find your phylactery in the first place.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Hide it.
    (5e) Use Mordenkainen’s Private Sanctum on the same spot every day for 1 year to make it permanent. Now that you have a warded area that can't be scryed, teleported into, or planar traveled into, ever, have your minion caster use Leomund’s Tiny Hut inside the warded area, and sit in the hut with the phylactery. Or use Mordenkainen’s Magnificent Mansion in the warded area for a more comfortable life than Leomund's hut.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Nice try, adventurer. I'll never tell.

Sincerly,
    The Lich

12. - Top - End - #12

SolithKnightGuy

You guys are no fun. If the phylactory is unobtainable, then you don't have a storyline.

Plus, to the guy with the demi-planes... There's no stipulation that you're able to leave a demi-plane. At least, not using that spell.

Anyway, I'd probably leave mine in the crypt of my long dead lover, who was slain in the elven pogroms of 1294. It was her death that led me to becoming a lich, wanting to conquer death, and would be the last thing tying me to my former humanity. It'd be poetic as ****. Of course, I'd have to destroy any trace of my former identity so that would-be adventurers could never figure out who I really was, and they'd have to go through a heavy dose of exposition to figure it out.

Yes, plot would be my armor. Literally plot armor. PCs could figure out how to teleport to the middle of the sun eventually... but making them sit through expository monologues? Muahahaha!!!
    I'm working for the Empire. But don't worry… I'm not going to garrote you!

13. - Top - End - #13

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Douche View Post
    You guys are no fun. If the phylactory is unobtainable, then you don't have a storyline.

Plus, to the guy with the demi-planes... There's no stipulation that you're able to leave a demi-plane. At least, not using that spell.

Anyway, I'd probably leave mine in the crypt of my long dead lover, who was slain in the elven pogroms of 1294. It was her death that led me to becoming a lich, wanting to conquer death, and would be the last thing tying me to my former humanity. It'd be poetic as ****. Of course, I'd have to destroy any trace of my former identity so that would-be adventurers could never figure out who I really was, and they'd have to go through a heavy dose of exposition to figure it out.

Yes, plot would be my armor. Literally plot armor. PCs could figure out how to teleport to the middle of the sun eventually... but making them sit through expository monologues? Muahahaha!!!
    Sometimes I enjoy your posts, sometimes I cringe. But this? This, I love.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why would elves be better at detecting things? We all know that cats use their whiskers as part of their senses. Now compare elves and dwarves. Elves cannot grow facial hair. Dwarves have luxurious beards. Of course dwarves should be better at detecting stuff.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

I would just go with a mystical equivalent of a bomb shelter. Basically, the usual anti scrying warding and such but its a small bunker with the basic supplies I would need in an emergency to help me rebuild or get back into battle. A backup set of gear for example, perhaps the materials on hand to allow me to craft or enchant items that would let me counter whatever my enemy used to defeat me this time. That way when I go after them for revenge, the strategy they used last time will fail miserably.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Do you think you could build warforged out of voidstone, and recreate a pure voidstone dream of metal? I reckon that would be funny to get past the DM. (yes, I'm just throwing awesome options at eachother to see what sticks)

I'd also like to use it as keystone, for the mythal of a flying city, populated entirely by NG priests (who are all tragic orphans and prophecied heroes). Destroy the phylactery, the city drops from the sky.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

16. - Top - End - #16

If using D&D 3.5... I would probably keep it in a Hoard Gullet maintained with permanency, placed on some unsuspecting pious individual that the party would normally never, ever kill, like an orphan nun.

It requires a touch of horseplay and rules interpretation to make work, since Hoard Gullet's target is "you", so if you magic jar into this person and cast hoard gullet, the effect takes place on their person, but as they are not the caster, they are unable to put things in or take things out of the non-dimensional space. (Honestly, they shouldn't even be aware the spell is there for this to work right.)

Regeneration occurs within the Hoard Gullet, when done, teleport out and return to wreaking havoc on the countryside.

As to the clue for them to figure it out and undo it, I point you towards the scenario from the "What does the BBEG want with a baby" thread from a while back. When they find where the baby is imprisoned they find that the her life has been bound to an hourglass that shows how many years of life she has left, and there's six or seven empty hourglasses on the wall and one that's almost empty, along with clues to lead them to divinations for finding who each hourglasse is bound to.

If they use spells to find the bodies of the empty hourglasses, they arrive at tombstones outside nunneries that are entrances to large extradimensional research laboratories.

If I was DMing for a bunch of world of warcraft players, I'd use a housecat named Mr. Bigglesworth instead of random lawful villagers.

Another option would be to use a PC instead of a random person. Imagine their horror upon realizing that they've had a bag of holding in their stomach the entire campaign that they can't use. (Yes, this is what will bother them, not the fact that there's a phylactery and occasionally a lich in it.)

If you really want to be a jerk, find a way for the lich to throw the players in jail. Take their items and leave them on a table outside the jail and make it look like they've been rifled through, and leave them a way to easily escape. They escape with ease, completely unaware that you placed your phylactery in an enveloping pit, dispelled one of their bags of holding and tossed the enveloping pit into the now ordinary bag before the suppression effect ended. (If you ever end up needing to regenerate, you end up regenerating in the enveloping pit.)

Best part is, unless an extremely careful wording is used, attempts to wish for the phylactery or divine it's location will fail/return garbage because they already have it.

I honestly prefer the hoard gullet approach tho'. It allows for varying degrees of breadcrumb trail.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

I would hide it under my mattress. Since liches don't need to sleep, why would adventurers even bother looking under a dusty, unused mattress? I'd hide it in a 500 year old crispy sock (from back when my lich was an adolescent) just in case they decided to look under the ancient thing. The disgust alone would probably keep them from snooping around beds for the rest of the campaign.
    Last edited by Noje; 2016-06-28 at 09:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

I made it into a gold coin and after the necessary enchantments, i gave it to a great worm red dragon to be part of his hoard. this way not only would others have to kill a difficult and powerful opponent, they would have to figure out which of the thousands of coins it is.

19. - Top - End - #19

Hide it inside one of the PCs.

"No, John, you were the phylactery."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

In 3.5, I'll keep it on the Positive Energy Plane in my hidden fortress. As an undead, I automatically succeed on the Fortitude saves to avoid exploding, so after I'm defeated the first time, I can spend a few months soaking up a couple thousand temporary HP then go in for Round 2.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LordFluffy View Post

Sincerly,
    The Lich
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In 3.5, I'll keep it on the Positive Energy Plane in my hidden fortress. As an undead, I automatically succeed on the Fortitude saves to avoid exploding, so after I'm defeated the first time, I can spend a few months soaking up a couple thousand temporary HP then go in for Round 2.
    There is the question of if something native to the plane wouldn't try to destroy the phylactery. But if you can sufficiently hide it there, you also don't have to worry about many living opponents, since there isn't any air. Unless they're willing to 1.) research how to create air there or 2.) do something very silly.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    If this is 3.5e: I willingly give my phylactery to a genie capable of granting wishes, and promise it three favors each time I respawn from it. Adventurers are going to have a hell of a time convincing someone with unlimited wishes, their own small nation of resources, and greed that outstrips a dragon's to part with one of their most unique treasures.
    I like this one, it is sort of like contracting out its defence, but one you have managed to find both someone as or more capable than yourself or guarding it and might be convinced to do so.

[...]

Both a good point and a nice solution that uses it, that will be an more interesting search that smashing every rock on the bank of the river Styx. Actually I'd probably use this over the new ideas I have, but here they are:

Although it wasn't a phylactery one solution for this type of thing I have liked is to hide the mcgruffen near where they think it is. In this particular case the wizard hid the box with his heart in it by a trap & monster filled pit. The box was hidden just outside, inside of all the wards and protection spells that kept people from reaching the pit and only a few steps from the teleport sigil he used to teleport in to check if anything happened in the area.

A similar idea (if you can hid the fact you are a lich with a phylactery) is to embed it into the holiest item you can find and start rumours that it is the only thing that can kill you. Then you have every reason to protect it, but if they get through the protections the heroes are not going to destroy it. The one issue is that you will regenerate near the heroes after they defeat you, but with luck this will just let you fell them before they spread the word of your defeat. And that will make an interesting surprise encounter for the PCs.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Spamalot in the Playground

Make it into a really nice piece of loot that someone in the party absolutely wants. They'll never part with it, they'll keep it well maintained, they'll never question the manufacturer.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

24. - Top - End - #24

I'd convince other liches to go into a tontine and have each create elaborate dungeons to house their phylacteries. Last Lich standing gets everything.

Issue here is that we're all existing because we cheated death, who's to say we won't cheat undeath and just cause general havoc and destruction?

It'll be great.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Merellis View Post
    I'd convince other liches to go into a tontine and have each create elaborate dungeons to house their phylacteries. Last Lich standing gets everything.
    Okay, this is a campaign I can get behind: Capture-the-flag between liches who have underlings go out as "talent agents" to hire adventurers to get each other's phylactery by surviving their dungeons. The PCs are pawns for one side. Like a D&D version of Games of Triskelion.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sure. That's what Plane Shift is for.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman10058 View Post
    I made it into a gold coin and after the necessary enchantments, i gave it to a great worm red dragon to be part of his hoard. this way not only would others have to kill a difficult and powerful opponent, they would have to figure out which of the thousands of coins it is.
    Problem: Dragon's going to think you're trying to steal his hoard each time you start respawning. This will not end well.

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Make it into a really nice piece of loot that someone in the party absolutely wants. They'll never part with it, they'll keep it well maintained, they'll never question the manufacturer.
    Problem: Player character's going to think you're trying to steal his hoard each time you start respawning. This will end in the creation of a mechanism to kill you again each time you respawn, meaning a hellish loop of eternal death. Or getting press-ganged into working for the people who killed you. Or both. Dragon is the better call here; it can at least be reasoned with.
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2016-06-29 at 08:45 AM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KnotKnormal View Post
    The villain of my last 5E campaign actually had his phylactery buried with his dead girlfriend- who he sacrificed to achieve lichdom.

In a little bit of Marvel Cinematic Universe foreshadowing, the Phylactery was actually found and destroyed in an earlier campaign with some of the same players. They were ransacking the tomb for mostly unrelated reasons, found the phylactery, and mistook it for the amulet they were searching for. They cast identify, just to be sure, discovered it was a phylactery, and then destroyed it with extreme prejudice.

So, in the more recent campaign, where the players release the Lich from an Imprisonment spell to help them stop an Ancient Red Dragon, the first thing he does is check on his phylactery... And freaks out when he finds the broken pieces.
    Check out my 5E Foraging/Alchemy Rules!

God help me, I've made a 5E Magical Girl and people liked it.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LordFluffy View Post

Sincerly,
    The Lich
    Damn, so close. lol
    Signet, the eternal.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

On an island where many NPCs were slaughtered by ooze monsters while the party tried desperately to escape. Ah, Memories.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

This is actually genius... thank you. I will use this... soon I think.
    Signet, the eternal.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Sure. That's what Plane Shift is for.

Problem: Dragon's going to think you're trying to steal his hoard each time you start respawning. This will not end well.

Problem: Player character's going to think you're trying to steal his hoard each time you start respawning. This will end in the creation of a mechanism to kill you again each time you respawn, meaning a hellish loop of eternal death. Or getting press-ganged into working for the people who killed you. Or both. Dragon is the better call here; it can at least be reasoned with.
    Avoiding getting repeat killed by the dragon is mainly a matter of making sure you are on good terms with him before you tell them about your plan to hide your phylactery in his treasure hoard.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.