New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Legacy of Fire: PoW/SoP Edition! (IC Thread)

As soon as hyena-face shows his hyena face, Dariush pulls the trigger and sends a bolt whistling over the thing's shoulder.
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2016-08-01 at 01:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Daruish's bolt seems to fly true, but a sudden gust of wind alters its trajectory enough to miss. As the imp screeches, Dashki attempts to stab it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+3)[4]
    (1d20+3)[7]
    Damage: (1d4+1)[5]

Unfortunately, he missed by millimeters. He then drew his scimitar, getting ready to attack the imp in earnest.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2016-08-01 at 03:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    For whatever reason, I have subscribed to this thread under thread tools twice, and I still don't see it in my subscriptions. So, I am actually posting to jump-start getting this in my queue.

EDIT: Success! We now return you to your regularly scheduled of a handful of titanic creatures picking on a poor teeny-tiny little fey who just wanted some goat's milk to warm it on the cold, humid desert nights.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2016-08-02 at 03:50 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan
    Spell Points: 1/2 Warp
    3/3 Time

Having drawn the creature out, Rowan pulls back on his staff, much as one would to set the line on a fishing pole, while muttering an incantation, a small circle with arcane symbols appears near to the Tiefling, and Dashki appears within it. "Wonderful work. Now that the creature is exposed let us attack."

Spoiler
    Show
    Useing a Spell Point to teleport the Beacon on Dashki back to me. 1 spell point remaining in the Warp sphere, 3 remaining in the Time Sphere.
    Fort Save vs Sickened (1d20+5)[23]
    And yes... I did make a bait joke with the way I teleported Dashki back.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh look, an ambush. If only we had advanced together like someone suggested, we could surround and destroy the evil creature. Huh, who could have guessed." Akaash grumbles half to himself as he pushes through the cacti toward the fey.
    Spoiler
    Show
    double move toward the pugwampi

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

The needle of the cacti seem to be drawn to you, and you take a few cuts from them, most notably on your left cheek, which starts bleeding a bit heavily. Nevertheless, you reach the pugwampi.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You take 3 points of damage from the cacti you ran through. The gash on your cheek is just cosmetic; you aren't taking bleed damage or anything

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan

Having retrieved the bait, ahem, the brave and adventurous Dashki from melee with the Pugwampi, Rowan once more holds forth his staff and chants as a glowing red abyssal runic circle appears before him. His chant ends as a glowing ball of force shoots out of it and attempts to home in on the Pugwampi.

Spoiler
    Show
    Destructive Blast Attack: (1d20+4)[13]
    Disadvantage: (1d20+4)[17]
    Damage: (2d6)[8] Bludgeoning

Fort vs. Sickened (1d20+5)[25]

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

The pugwampi, focused on the charging Akaash, giggled when he began bleeding. This unfortunately drew its attention away from Rowan, whose blast sent it flying into a cactus, impaling it.
    Show
    The imp had DR 2/cold iron, but even counting that you did enough to kill it twice over. Neat!

Dashki manages to calm the goat and take it with them, the cacti no longer as much as a threat due to the pugwampi's defeat. You take the body back to the camp and prove Dashki's innocence. The camel drivers are also quite pleased you managed to save the goat. Impressed by your ability, Almah, offers you 200 gp in order to get you on retainer.

9. - Top - End - #69

Seeing the new heroes returned, Twixanel removes herself from prayer at the Sultan's Claw and goes up to Dashki and the others. "You brought back Hadrod's goat! Looks like you guys must have swum through a thicket to get it, though. Can I get any of you some water? Hadrod! Hadrod! They found Rombard! They found Rombard!"

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash temporarily patches up his cuts before they depart. Happy enough to have cleared a man's name, he is a bit put-off with the gratitude shown for recovering the goat. "Yes, we are the mighty saviors of small livestock, praise and song unto us. Or I could settle for that water." He gives the man offering it a thankful nod.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Akaash
    "Yes, we are the mighty saviors of small livestock, praise and song unto us."
    Already drinking, Dariush snorts loudly and starts coughing violently.

"Mighty saviours of small livestock, that's good. We should get that embroidered on our hats."

Later, with Almah:

"Bannu, your generosity knows no bounds. I would be honoured to serve as your retainer, after the gnoll menace is dealt with."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Goma waves as the party approaches.

Goats need heroes too, it seems. His nose wrinkles. And baths.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

"I suppose 200 makes for a fair retainer for such mighty heroes. I will take it."

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Akaash: "Yes, we are the mighty saviors of small livestock, praise and song unto us. Or I could settle for that water." He gives the man fairy girl offering it a thankful nod.
    Quote Originally Posted by pfm1995 View Post
    Dariush snorts loudly and starts coughing violently."Mighty saviours of small livestock, that's good. We should get that embroidered on our hats."
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordChucks View Post
    Goma waves as the party approaches. Goats need heroes too, it seems. His nose wrinkles. And baths.
    The good-natured girl doesn't really catch on to the irony until Goma makes his quip at the end. As she gives water to the Windborn, she laughs and says, "Okay, okay, but the measure of our hearts can be seen in how we treat lesser creatures from whom we can engineer no social advantage. Sure, the advantage did exist in a connection to Hadrod and so on, but don't you see? You didn't just clear dear Dashki's name, and put out a fire, but without prompting from Almah you went and saved Rombard. It was during this act of charity that things worked out. My name's Twixanel, by the way, but you can simply call me Twix."

Twixanel (or simply "Twix") is some sort of fairy creature you've likely never seen before. She stands no higher than many halfling, at an even three feet in height. Despite the fact she is shorter than any gnome and as short as some of the shortest halflings, her physique and proportions are not unlike a 12- or 13-year-old human girl. Her "skin" appears to be a light red made up of incredibly small bark segments, not unlike scales. Her hair is the same color, though shot through with small streamers of brown, and her amber eyes are practically jewel-tone, and not unlike the amber color of tree sap. What appears at first to be a curtain of ivy on her shoulders is a strange set of ivy-and-bramble wings. She does not fly terribly often, as when she does so she is a bit clumsy; the strange wings that provide the thrust and lift for flight are the very things that increase drag.

She is outfitted as someone might be for some type of adventure, but to say that she is "well-armed" might be misleading. True, she carries a longspear, sickle, and light crossbow, and so it seems like she could pass for a peasant warrior of some sort. But when you notice that her "armor" is a terrible patchwork, multi-layered camel-hide shirt (designed to accommodate her wings) one takes a closer look at her weapons and sees that only in the most liberal weapon shop would these items be considered effective arms. Old, worn, second-, or even third- hand, and of the 10 meager bolts in her case, only three share the same fletching. She has a backpack, but other than some food and a waterskin, but outside of that, her colorful (but equally worn and in some placed patched over) Katapeshi garb and pouch, she is not someone whose demeanor, bearing, or speech suggests that she is useful at anything worthwhile when it comes to "adventuring." She does have light, colorful scarves that wrap around her neck, wrists, and ankles. Given that much about her is patchwork that might be overlooked, and yet there is something a little asymmetrical.

She was already with Almah when Garavel's crew rendezvoused tonight. She can't really be an effective guard, she seems clueless around animals, and assists Hadrod and Hadreh (was that her name) as much as she flits about and assists anyone. She is almost like a caravan's version of a cabin boy and jester in one. Jester? She has no formal training of any kind as such, but given that no one else is skilled at anything, as the night begins to settle more she will help entertain the men and buoy their hearts with stories and songs. She might be someone that can be annoying if they manage to get underfoot, and don't appear to serve a real function, and yet Almah's men seem to treat her as they would a favored daughter or little sister.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perform (untrained) ... used for jokes, stories, song, and dance (1d20+4)[21]

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan

"While it is true that saving a lost goat is usually not the stuff of legends, there is no deed that is without consequence, good or bad, boon or bane." Rowan reassures his allies as they drink to refresh themselves and clear the grit from their mouths. Then the Lady's reward and offer is placed before them.

Sending the others a look at having his point proven, Rowan graciously accepts Almah's generosity. Doubtless there will be more gold in his future if he stays near the wealthy young woman, and even a year or two of service is nothing compared to the life he has lived to date. To one with demonic lineage, this adventure is merely a blink of the eye compared to the years I shall spend, but now is my chance to set my foundation. To hone my skills and obtain material assistance as well is a great boon. The fact that she is such an earnest young girl also warms the heart.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash gives Twix a nod. "Akaash. Thanks for the water."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

After everyone gets patched up and has a good night's sleep, Almah lays down the next mission: This camp is too open, there are too many ways it can be attacked and they need a better home base. The good news is that there's a temple not to far away. The bad news is that it is in disrepair and infested with foul beasts. She then tasks you with clearing out the temple to act as a forward base for her operations out here.

18. - Top - End - #78

"Merchant Princess Almah," says Twix with her head low, "I would like to accompany your heroes to the temple, if I may. Once they get rid of any bad things, I can fly back here with word that they're ready for you."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Goma turns to Almah, "I'm all for clearing out foul beasts, but do you know to what the temple was dedicated?"

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Goma turns to Almah, "I'm all for clearing out foul beasts, but do you know to what the temple was dedicated?"
    Sarenrae, or at least as far as we can tell from the outside. Perhaps you will be able to determine more from within.

21. - Top - End - #81

"Oooh, I love the sun goddess! She's so pretty," coos Twix. "I mean, I count Gozreh and Nethys as my patrons, but the Lady of the Healing Flame is a good one, too. Her light helps Gozreh's plants to grow. What about you guys? What are your, well, never mind. Sorry. It's poor form asking others about their religion, isn't it?"

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash raises an eyebrow at the request. "Do you have anything more specific than 'foul beasts'? Do you have scouting reports, reliable witness, or is it common knowledge amongst traders in the area?"

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Akaash raises an eyebrow at the request. "Do you have anything more specific than 'foul beasts'? Do you have scouting reports, reliable witness, or is it common knowledge amongst traders in the area?"
    The latter I'm afraid. A mad cackle can sometimes be heard, but that's about it. I hate to throw you into an unknown danger like this, but now you're here, we need to get a forward base as soon as possible.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

"Then into the unknown we go. Thank you for this opportunity, bannu."

Collecting his equipment, Dariush makes ready to leave.

"To answer your question, little one, I make offerings commonly to Nethys and rarely to Hshurha, the Duchess of All Winds."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Rowan

Bowing politely to Almah, Rowan joins the others on their way. "Hmm... cackling in an abandoned temple? Is it truly foul beasts cackling like men, or Madmen cackling like beasts?" Rowan waxes philosophical about the nature of the threats they may soon face before shaking his head, "Well the unknown was never truly known save through direct experience. Speaking of experience, how should we organize ourselves when the fighting starts? Last time was rather too sudden and short lived to get a feel for our teamwork."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Akaash shrugs, "I expected as much, but had to ask. As for a fight, I prefer to be near the front."

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

In the morning, after a full night's rest and recuperation, your party rides to the northeast for an hour or two until you can see the building in question. It's seen better days, but the structure itself seems sound. As you approach the wide double doors, you brace yourselves for the challenge ahead.

Spoiler: the map
    Show

Show
    I'll need a marching order. Stack said he wanted to be in front; any preferences form anyone else?

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

I prefer to be where I can protect others. Near the front lines or at the rearguard would be best.

Show
    Somewhere near the squishies for me please.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

As soon as the tip of the temple clears the dunes, Dariush draws his crossbow and readies a bolt.

"Ordinarily I would suggest knocking, but I don't think that's such a good idea here. I will try to sneak up and look through a window; be ready in case whatever lives in there sees me."

Crouching low to the ground, Dariush slides towards the top of the ankh.
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2016-08-12 at 09:32 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90

Spoiler: Marching Order
    Show
    I'll need a marching order. Stack said he wanted to be in front; any preferences form anyone else?
    I prefer to be where I can protect others. Near the front lines or at the rearguard would be best."
    Show
    Somewhere near the squishies for me please.
    "I nominate myself as one of the protected others."
    Show
    Twix, half the size of a fully-grown human male, answers to Squishy Princess.
    [/SPOILER]
    Quote Originally Posted by pfm1995 View Post
    Crouching low to the ground, Dariush slides towards the top of the ankh.
    ... and Twix follows behind him.
    Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    Stealth (1d20+5)[25]
    Perception (1d20+5)[20]
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2016-08-12 at 10:47 PM.