New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

Like a tidal wave of teeth, blades and pikes the Lady Lavina's adventuring party burst in and slash, hack and tear at the rear of the three mutant pirates hacking all of them down to the now blood soaked sands. Harliss, the raven haired beauty, eyes the party warily. Blade and dagger dripping with mutant ichor. Her arms and leg are marked with scratches and bites and her eyes are red rimmed... "You do you be... a couple of you have a look that seems familiar. What you be doing here? How ye not be biting and clawing me with flesh as twisted as these swine?"
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Grimgor

As Grimgor moved to check the bodies for helpful items and ensure none of them rise again, he snorted at the woman’s question. ”Cuz we ain’t dead!” He let his more eloquent companions fill in the rest.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Clean up and loot!
    Status
    HPs: 36/41; AC: 16 (14)
    F +6, R +3, W +2
    Listen/Search/Spot +1; Balance +7; Concentration +9
    Manuevers: Moment of Perfect Mind, Mountain Hammer, Steel Strike
    Stance: Punishing Stance (+1d6 dam, -2 AC)
    Weapons: Pike (+6, 2d6+4, 3/20)
    Effects: Stance
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ettin in the Playground

Tyndall

"Here, let me help you. We're here searching for a wanted criminal. Were you captured by these wicked pirates, or whatever they are? What are these things? What's happened to all the..um...people? Don't worry, we'll have you safely back in Sasserine soon enough."

The huitzil flaps about his face as he endeavours to reassure the younger lady.

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+6)[21]

4. - Top - End - #724
    Firbolg in the Playground

Locksley

Setting his bow aside, Locksley gives a formal, courtly bow.

My lady, we are officers of the Verdant Wyrm Trading Company. Our patron was wronged by a minor nuisance. Vargus? Bartimus? Vanthus!

It was no good investing too much trust in this woman just because of a shared animosity. Better to just appear as disinterested sellswords.

Spoiler: Bluff
    Show
    (1d20+8)[21]
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

Lara

"We just arrived. Do you know what happened here?" Lara asks.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

She looks at the party nodding at the offer of healing as she bleeds from half a dozen small wounds Aristo. If you be talking about Vanthus the next time I see him I'll be cutting out his black heart and making me rigging out of his guts
    All this ye see here,"
    the flamboyant woman says as she waves her hand at the slaughtered deformities,"and what nightmares ye must have fought through to get here t'was all Vanthus Vanderboren's doing! That vomitous pig came t'me with his hussy 'n asked t'see our wares; made like he were a black marketeer Iookin' fer some fur or scale t'move.Told him we had a ship coming in today what we're full of exotica for him ta'shop, so he stayed on a few nights. Seemed a fine enough chap, but then not an hour ago,he dumped a hold full of whale oil into the cove and lit it up."

She spits on the cave floor "I was on the Slippery Eel at the time, and that's when I caught the two of them on board,fixin t'rob me! Can ye imagine that?A pair of base curs tryin' t'rob Captain Harliss javell?Anyway,I stuck the fool in the arm with me blade,he yelped,and then as he ducked aside he dropped what he were tryin' t'rob. Were a black pearl.One the size o'a man's fist, mind you! Was going to make some fair coin off that bauble, but as it fell, the thing cracked like an egg. Some o'vanthus's blood from my blade spattered the pearl,and it boiled and flashed with light.This foul, choking green gas started spewin' from it, burning through the wood like it were acid. I grabbed the thing, ran up topside, then threw it in ta' the water, but as it struck, the thing exploded!"

"After that...things got a bit weird, mind ye, A green mist filled my vision, and I felt strange. like someone else were in my head. Someone...someone hungry! And the rage! rage like I never felt a afore! And then, just like that, it were gone. Vanthus were on deck too by then, but he and I were the only humans left.That pearl, it did something to me crew. Ta' Vanthus' little girly too! Turned them bad, like something he might find in a net and throw back on account the sun got no purpose look in' upon it. These things!"

She kicks one of the deformed pirates in distaste. "Whatever were in that damnable pearl turned over three score men into...into man eating freaks!" "Vanthus. he seen what his friend and the rest turned into. He dove into the water t'getaway. I did the same, only I swam for shore. Found me first mate Drevcraz there. He'd resisted the change too, as had some others here and there, yet they were nothing but the banquet for those things. We fought our way into to' caves and managed to hole up here with Captain Kigante, the man who keeps these caves for us. Only, Kigante's freak food now; he got jumped by a mob of them not twenty minutes ago.Tore him a part like they was sharks! "And one more thing.I think they got the sick in their maws. The places they done bit me still burn, and it's hard to think straight... But hey! You fought yer way in here! That means there ain't much left of them out there, yeah

Last edited by DrK; 2018-10-10 at 04:36 PM.

7. - Top - End - #727

Locksley

"He must have been on the boat we saw as we arrived! Do you think we can catch him?"

The thought of the disrespectful cur evading them made his dragon blood burn.

Wrong us, do we not avenge? he mused, recalling his House motto.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Grimgor

Grimgor shook his head in disgust, glancing around the cavern for signs of movement. Figured that bastich had been at the root of yet another problem. Just one more reason to kill him. Clearing his throat, he grumbled, ”So watch their teeth ‘n kill ‘em quick. Let’s keep movin’ once ye check fer loot”

Grimgor would glance through, but he didn’t want to touch the bloated skin bags.
    Show
    Searching around briefly, then after V!
    Status
    F +6, R +3, W +2

9. - Top - End - #729
    Ettin in the Playground

Tyndall

"There's a few more left, I dare say. Unless they've taken to eating each other..." he grimaces "So there's nobody else left alive? Do you know where that devious wretch Vanthus might be heading?"

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

Lara

"Of course it would be Vanthus' fault," the redhead mutters. "If we get out of this mess I can provide medical care. I won't let you turn into one of those things if I can help it."

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ogre in the Playground

Thandos

While he still has time in wolf form, Thandos will use his scent ability to sniff out foes that might be remaining in the caves.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

The woman shrugs. "Aye mayhaps that was Vanthus. No matter, when Drevcraz reaches the city he'll get revenge. That fancy manor of his will be burned down and him and his sister and any other family killed! No one crosses me and lives to tell the tale."

As they talk about more she shrugs. "Aye I don't know! I need to get back to the beach and see what's left of me ship. Or see if that weird pearl he was playing with is still there. "

She glances at all of you. " How did you get to be here and who did send you to the pirate cove."

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

Lara

"Ok, well this is awkward," Lara confesses. "We were sent by Lady Vandeborn to bring her brother to justice. He's wronged you both. By all means get even with him. But I have a few... "pointed" objections to your intentions as you just described them. You didn't know about the Vandeborn schism, so I'm going to give you an opportunity to reconsider."
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2018-10-28 at 11:54 AM.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

The scarlet Corsair pirate Captain looks to Lara with a shrug. "Aye lass. So you say. But nowt any but the gods or the Wormfall saints can do about it. Drevcaraz left yesterday, he'll be in the swamps recruiting the frog folk now. Nothing we can do now eh?"

She smiles a cruel smile then starts limping towards the exit of the cavern. "Luck to you. Mayhaps you sail quick and make it. If you do show my mate this. Tell him I said said to spare the lass. But if Vanthus is there he still has to die." Limping away she throws a six armed snake tailed demon shaped (i.e. a marrilith) patterned ear ring to Lara.

Thandos, in wolf form searches the second route through the tunnels finding a storage room filled with barrels, sails and a dozen cutlasses and a second chamber where an ornately dressed pirate with a massive hat festooned in feathers lies on his bed, throat torn out. A pair of dead mutated pirates nearby. Thandos can only surmise it's Kitante, the pirate lord of Kraken's cove, and a rich one. A search of his body reveals a fine cutlass with an ornate griffon handle, a good ring set with aquamarines and a locked stout chest.

Spoiler: loot
    Show

Scimitar/cutlass +1
    Ring of swimming
    Chest w/228gp, 612sp, 4 pearls (50gp each)

In the last chamber before it rejoins the chamber of silks Thandos finds the trusted body of a young woman in adventuring garb and we'll made if figure hugging studied leather. She is dead by her own, her right hand clutch hunug the hilt of the blade wedged in her chest, her other hand, now clawed and webbed by the strange savage magical mutation that Vanthus's black pearl released holds a locket. Inside Thandos can see a picture of Vanthus himself and an inscription of "to my darling Brissa. Together always." Clearly as she twisted he didn't keep to that promise.

All the other figures are dead. Either hunched, warped and twisted by the magic of the pearl that Harliss described or ripped apart by the freaks. The cove is dead. Your boat remains however, and you realise you'll have to set off quickly if you want to save Lavinia from the vengeful orc and his frog allies....

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Unless you want to attack the pirate Captain, or investigate the sunken ship for the black pearl you are finished in Kraken's Cove

Level up the to the delights of Level 4

Last edited by DrK; 2018-11-01 at 08:35 AM.

15. - Top - End - #735

Locksley

Let the woman go, Lavinia is in danger!

After a quick gathering of valuables, Locksley readies to return to Sasserine.

Spoiler: Loot etc
    Show
    Nothing item-wise appeal, I’ll take my share in friendship.

And gold.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ettin in the Playground

Tyndall

"Lavinia!" Tyndall goes white with concern. "We must get back swiftly!"

Spoiler: Knowledge
    Show
    frog folk? Knowledge check (1d20)[8]+?

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Grimgor

Grimgor let the others warn the pirate lady, then growled ”Time t’go, lass s ‘n lads. Let’s git!”

Grimgor moves to head out.
    Show
    Move it!
    Status
    F +6, R +3, W +2

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ogre in the Playground

Thandos

The half-orc had shifted back when he found the magical scimitar. Comparing it to his own, he throws his old scimitar on the ground and picks up the enchanted one. He dons the good ring set with aquamarines as well (ring of swimming?) simply because he likes the way it looks. Finding the chest locked he then drags the chest of gold to the group.

With a grunt he follows the group as they depart.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2018-11-17 at 08:42 AM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

Racing back through the caves you emerge back upon the blood and body covered beach. The ruins of the boat where the scourge of this pearl began lies in the shallows half sunk in the tropical waters of the bay. The large fishing skiff you arrived I is still there and you can still see the 2 masted caravel moored some 100ft out into the water, with careful squinting you can just make out some sort of sea serpent painted upon the prow.

Spoiler: The Sea Wyvren
    Show

Colossal Water vehicle
    Squares 60 (20 ft. by 75 ft.); Cost 10,000 gp

DEFENSE

AC 2; Hardness 5
    hp 900 (449)
    Base Save +0

OFFENSE

Maximum Speed 180 ft. (current) or 60 ft. (muscle); Acceleration 30 ft. (current) or 15 ft. (muscle)
    Weapons Up to 10 Large direct-fire siege engines in banks of 5 positioned on the port and starboard sides of the ship, or up to 6 Huge direct-fire siege engines in banks of 3 on the port and starboard sides of the ship. The siege engines may only fire out the sides of the ship they are positioned on. They cannot be swiveled to fire toward the forward or aft sides of the ship.
    Attack ram 8d8
    CMB +8; CMD 18

DRIVE
    Propulsion current (air; two masts, 30 squares of sails, hp 150) or current (water)
    Driving Check Profession (sailor) or Knowledge (nature) +10 to the DC
    Forward Facing the ship’s forward
    Driving Device steering wheel
    Driving Space the nine squares around the steering wheel, typically located in the aft of the ship
    Crew (5) 20

LOAD
    Decks 2
    Cargo Up to 150 tons plus crew and passengers.

20. - Top - End - #740

Locklsey

"Madam Lara! Have you any experience crewing a two-master? I think we might want to upgrade."

21. - Top - End - #741
    Titan in the Playground

Lara

"I can sail anything!" Lara calls back as she sprints across the sand. Briefly she considers just swimming out to the caravel, but then she remembers the sharks. She runs towards the fishing skiff.

"Take us to that schooner!" she instructs.

22. - Top - End - #742

Locksley

"Onward then!"

Harp in hand, Locksley plays a magical song to inspire greater seamanship.

Spoiler: ahem.
    Show
    Inspire Competence +2 to skill checks as long as this ditty rings in your ears.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Titan in the Playground

Leaving the accursed bay behind, the horror abandoned you clamber aboard the small schooner that's name plate reads Sea Wyvren. She's a small handy ocean going vessel, but currently riding high in the waves, the hold mostly empty save for some skeleton supplies and a few barrels of rations and barrels of water amidst some ships supplies and sailing gear. Droppings, a smell and an empty cage suggests it may have been used to smuggle animals.

With the wind in Lara's hair the Sea Wyvren races across the bay, the light of the three moons giving plenty of light to see all that you need. Orders from Lara as the rest man the sails using only the main mast and main sails to not be too much to handle for such a small crew.

As dawn rises the Sea Wyvren slowly cruises into the harbour with a fair amount of flair as Lara easily brings her neatly up to the pier alongside Lavinia's Blue Nixie. The city is in the grip of the Wormfall Festival -

One hundred year ago, a horrific brush with apocalypse in the far-off city of Alhaster sent deadly ripples across the entire face of the world. Even in Sasserine, the Worm god's brief emergence into the world had an effect, as monstrous minions boiled out of the Spire of Long Shadows in preparation of the dawn of this new age. Only the intervention of a band of powerful heroes from the neighbouring city of Cauldron saved Sasserine from a terrible fate. Now, one century later, Sasserine honors the heroes of that dark day with a wild parade and festival to remember the fallen and rejoice at the victory of good over evil. Wormfall , as the holiday has been dubbed by city officials, is to be an annual event, a gigantic affair involving troupes of trained acrobats, marching bands, garish costumes in homage of the heroes of Alhaster and Cauldron (and corresponding effigies of their undead and wormy enemies), and floats constructed in the image of enormous green worms and shrouded skulls. Kites of green worms borne on sticks and strings dance in the air above the rooftops. Green lanterns burn above the streets, casting a sickly pale glow upon the cobble stones below, each with a removable shade and a layer of bright gold paper below to bathe the city in the warm sunlight of victory at the exact moment the worms fell and the heroes of Alhaster struck down their foul god. The stories are legendary and the bard's and street vendors long tell tales of the six!

Fireworks explode in the air and the wizards from the guilds conjure illusory worms to chase children as the harbour guards pay little attention to you, most swaying on their feet with bottles of rum or grog in their hands. The streets are packed and you can see hundreds of stilt walkers, fetes and floats on the strets with music and blaring horns every where.

24. - Top - End - #744

Locksley

Locksley tries to navigate the crowds back to Lavinia's estate, but a swarm of revelers are worse than mutant horrors to circumvent.

"The perfect night for an assassination! GET OUT OF THE WAY! And Merrick O' Fey was obviously an elf! Your costume is ridiculous!"

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

"We're going to have to recruit a crew," Lara muses. Though the situation is urgent, she still finds herself elated. As the spoils of salvage the Sea Wyrvern may technically belong to the group as a whole, but as the only skilled sailor aboard she's indisputably her ship. Her first ship. Its captain!

The key to running a vessel short handed is to give yourself plenty of time and never run too close to the wind. Fortunately a caravel rig is a bit more forgiving in that regard than a square rigged brig, but in any case operation of both sails is required; A dual masted vessel just isn't properly balanced without sail on both masts. Lara recalls tails of a prime brig captured by two men, and another of a 200-tonner sailed (albeit in a very basic manner), by a single boy advised only by a very injured pirate. Fortunately she has more to work with than that.

The temptation to man the helm is strong, but Lara instructs Tyndal to take that station. The mechanics of holding a set course aren't that demanding, whereas managing the many ropes and lines of the rigging with a shorthanded rookie crew requires much more active attention. Lara spends most of her time instructing Grimgor and Thandos in which ropes to haul on and when. A couple of strong landsmen are always useful. Locksley... Locksley is probably best used somewhere out of the way singing his songs of inspiration.

Holding a course in a steady wind isn't that difficult short handed. Manoeuvres of any kind on the other hand are quite another matter. Therefore it's with no small amount of pride that Lara manages to bring the Sea Wyrven in to berth alongside Blue Nixie on the first attempt. Stopping only to make fast the Sea Wyrven to the dock, Lara jumps onto the dock and hurries after Locksley towards the Vandeborn manor.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2018-11-18 at 08:44 AM.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

The streets are packed as you begin to try and force your way through the crowds. Everywhere the sky is alight with green smoke and yellowy green lights illuminated by the various mages paid by the city of council. Astride the main streets impromptu parades begin and end and you can see dancers dressed as Elkist, Zarina and Mirriana with long wooden sticks painted silver as their blades and armour that would be as impractical as it is revealing getting cheers from the crowd. Children run up and down the streets their hair and skin painted various shades of colours as they carry long forks pretending to be Landhal the savage and others dress in flowing robes with elaborate crowns as Merrick the mad. All the supposed saviours of the world though you suspect that the rumours of what they could do. Mirriana's iron skin, Zarina walking on fire etc... maybe exaggerated tales some kind. Even so the city embraces the Wormfall and every now and then you see someone in a dark cowl with a heavy stick carved into the likeness of an axe/mace prentending to be the wormgod Kyuss.

The carnival comtinues up the hill towards the noble district where plumes of smoke from bonfires and great open air feasting pits is common, the nobles tradition of giving food to the 'common people' popular iwth many and some nobles vying to out do each other. However as you push through the wide street towards the Van De Boren mansion you can see the wooden gates and white walls are shut up tight and the smoke from inside appears to be coming from an actual fire!!

Spoiler: Manor Key of important areas you've seen
    Show

1= entrance hall
    3 = library
    5 = museum
    6 = kitchen
    7 = courtyard garden
    25-27 = guest rooms

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

Lara

"We're too late! Fire! Fire! The Vandeboren estate is on fire! Lara shouts to alert anyone who might be listening as she breaks into a run towards the manor, drawing her greatsword as she goes.

28. - Top - End - #748

Locksley

The fire is an alarming complication for the bard. Setting aside his wit, he instead draws his blade and searches for the fastest entry point into the house.

Spoiler: Search
    Show
    (1d20+1)[7]

"There seems to be no way in!"
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2018-11-22 at 04:57 PM.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ettin in the Playground

Tyndall

Tyndall enjoys the novelty of manning the helm, a big grin plastered across his face as he tasked with simply holding the wheel steady.

Pushing through the crowds back in Sasserine Tyndall does his best to get folk moving out of the way. At the alarming sign of fire within the Vanderboren estate he sends his fat wee huitzil up to flap about the skies, hopefully to croak an alert at any sign of danger. Tyndall draws his weapon as he runs after Lara ready for trouble.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Grimgor

Finding a ship is as obviously a stroke of luck, but having Lara skilled enough to Captain it was even more fortunate. The dwarf was no sailors, certainly, so he worked at whatever tasks required stamina and strength, or even a modicum of brains. He was more than slightly surprised when they arrived back SThe route none the worse for wear.

As they made their way to the manor, it didn’t take long to discover it was on fire. He charged after the others, his stout legs lagging behind at a steady, enduring pace. As they went, he growled to no one in particular, ”Ah’m gonna kill ‘em ... ain’t no savin’ ye this time boy-o ...”
    Show
    Grimgor was run-ning!
    Status
    F +6, R +3, W +2
    Stances: Punishing Stance (+1d6 dam, -2 AC), Leading the Charge (+3 dam on charge for allies w/in 60’)