New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Redcloak's holy symbol?

My initial thought on Redcloak keeping the phylactery around his neck was for easy destruction to stop Xykon in an emergency. Only...now I'm not so sure. What happens when the phylactery is destroyed while Xykon is not currently residing in it? O-Chul seemed to think it would destroy him ("No more lich, then"), and Xykon sure was panicked about it falling into the Rift. But other things I've heard indicate that it would just be a royal pain in the ass - he'd be at risk since he wouldn't remotely re-incarnate, but he's still an Epic level Lich Sorceror. Can he just create a new one if the old one gets destroyed?

If Xykon is still a going concern after the phylactery is smashed, then I see no reason for Redcloak to have it visible. As long as Xykon's body gets smashed, Redcloak is immediately in a position of control. I do think it's likely that he keeps it on his person though, as that really is the safest place for it. He just wouldn't be using it as a holy symbol, because why take the risk?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Rich has never established whether Xykon (or Redcloak) can recreate his phylactery if the current one is destroyed. It will probably not come up.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    My initial thought on Redcloak keeping the phylactery around his neck was for easy destruction to stop Xykon in an emergency. Only...now I'm not so sure. What happens when the phylactery is destroyed while Xykon is not currently residing in it? O-Chul seemed to think it would destroy him ("No more lich, then"), and Xykon sure was panicked about it falling into the Rift. But other things I've heard indicate that it would just be a royal pain in the ass - he'd be at risk since he wouldn't remotely re-incarnate, but he's still an Epic level Lich Sorceror. Can he just create a new one if the old one gets destroyed?

If Xykon is still a going concern after the phylactery is smashed, then I see no reason for Redcloak to have it visible. As long as Xykon's body gets smashed, Redcloak is immediately in a position of control. I do think it's likely that he keeps it on his person though, as that really is the safest place for it. He just wouldn't be using it as a holy symbol, because why take the risk?
    By RAW, I'm not sure one can create a new phylactery to replace a destroyed one. The process of becoming a Lich is tied to the creation of the phylactery, which is unique (otherwise, just craft a bunch and store them in different places?).

Though by RAW, I'm fairly sure you can't have someone else craft it for you either...
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

4. - Top - End - #64

Oh, oh, I've got a new theory!

Xykon and Redcloak turn on each other, Redcloak smashes his holy symbol, and Xykon goes "Ha! You think you destroyed something valuable, but you just ruined your casting capacities. You had the fake all this time, joke's on you!" And then the OotS comes in, and Redcloak tells them about the astral fortress and aids them to get there before Xykon re-manifests and is able to 1) mess up the gates and 2) mess up Gobbotopia.

IF the astral fortress ever becomes of any importance, Redcloak seems like the only one able to guide the OotS there. It's possible it won't ever matter, though.
    Attention LotR fans
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Wait, so your new theory is that Redcloak will smash his holy symbol without having a backup, after Xykon switched the fake for the real, without punishing Reddy at all, while Xykon will be defeated, Redcloak will somehow know where Xykon's fortress is, and will lead the order there without magic?

Just want to make sure I'm getting it right.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2016-07-05 at 07:05 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Sure, but those reasons* make it just as likely that he took it with him when Team Evil left. Especially since we saw how he put it in his pocket just before giving Xykon the fake and leaving for the Astral Plane. Since the next stops were the desert and the north pole I don't see when he could have hidden it (in a place he considers safe) or aquired a new holy symbol.

*Mainly his (illusion of) control over Xykon.
    Well, I do think there's a reasonable chance he's carrying it on him, but I doubt he's keeping it around his neck, for the reasons I stated. As far as acquiring a new holy symbol goes, we didn't see what he was up to between #901, when Team Evil teleported to Kraagor's Gate, and #1036; I think it's reasonable to surmise he could have had another one made in that time.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    Though by RAW, I'm fairly sure you can't have someone else craft it for you either...
    Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    Redcloak explicitly said Xykon would need to craft the phylactery, though Redcloak could help with it since there was no actual spellcasting involved.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    By RAW, I'm not sure one can create a new phylactery to replace a destroyed one. The process of becoming a Lich is tied to the creation of the phylactery, which is unique (otherwise, just craft a bunch and store them in different places?).

That's what Voldemort did :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Stricken View Post
    I tip my hat to you, Giant. For every person who rules-nitpicks you, there are bound to be ten times as many fans who are just blown away by how excellent your storytelling is.

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    O-Chul seemed to think it would destroy him ("No more lich, then")
    I always assumed that line to mean that Xykon would no longer be a lich (i.e. he would no longer be able to regenerate if destroyed), not that it would immediately destroy him.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    I always assumed that line to mean that Xykon would no longer be a lich (i.e. he would no longer be able to regenerate if destroyed), not that it would immediately destroy him.
    Honest question. What do you think a lich is?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #71

That's what Voldemort did :P
    I'd advise caution in using Voldemort's horcruxes as a model upon which to base assumptions about Xykon's phylactery and Xykon's ability to create additional or replacement phylacteries. They don't appear to function in the same manner, despite the conceptual similarities.
    Last edited by Aeson; 2016-07-05 at 07:58 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Wait, so your new theory is that Redcloak will smash his holy symbol without having a backup, after Xykon switched the fake for the real, without punishing Reddy at all, while Xykon will be defeated, Redcloak will somehow know where Xykon's fortress is, and will lead the order there without magic?

Just want to make sure I'm getting it right.
    Redcloak has been to Xykon's fortress to cast a bunch of cleric spells on it (that's where they were between when they left and when they arrived to get blown up at Gerard's gate), but that's about the only thing that's likely.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #73
    Colossus in the Playground

I don't think O-Chul meant "if I smash this, Xykon will be destroyed with no more effort on my part." I think he meant, "I can't do 'no more goblin.' Okay, then I smash the phylactery, then I smash Xykon."

(And before someone says something about that showing overconfidence, I would point out that none of O-Chul's three "no more X" statements there actually came true: Redcloak cast a spell without his holy symbol, Redcloak did not die, Xykon was not destroyed. O-Chul was just being sparing with words as he stated his intentions, one of which was to attack Xykon.)

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I don't believe the rules state either way whether destroying the phylactery destroys the lich, but my inclination would be that it doesn't - aside from
    Spoiler: SOD
    Show
    Xykon's confident assertion that destroying the phylactery won't affect him
    , "find and destroy the phylactery in its hiding hole before attacking the lich" is a common story trope that would result in rather an anticlimactic ending if you could just smash the phylactery where you found it and move on. Traditionally, half the point of using a phylactery, narratively, is to provide that "find and destroy the phylactery to make the boss vulnerable before the final battle" component instead of replacing it with "Oh, okay, you smashes the phylactery you needed to smash to destroy the lich? Welp, no more lich."

Not that I'm saying that OOTS will necessarily follow those exact narrative beats, just that these are the tropes upon which the system was designed, meaning I tend to place it under "common understanding of how this sort of thing works."

I'd be very surprised if Xykon would be able to make a new one if his old one was destroyed, however. His "Oh crap" about it potentially going into the Rift was not because he wasn't looking forward to spending a week making a new one.

As for what Redcloak is wearing right now - honestly, I have no idea. It seems weirdly overly complicated to switch to a new symbol that looks exactly like the phylactery and have the phylactery hidden instead of just sticking with the diamond, but it also seems like a colossally terrible decision to wear the actual phylactery in front of Xykon like that. Maybe it's for the Order to get it confused with the actual phylactery at some point?
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    I'd advise caution in using Voldemort's horcruxes as a model upon which to base assumptions about Xykon's phylactery and Xykon's ability to create additional or replacement phylacteries. They don't appear to function in the same manner, despite the conceptual similarities.
    Oh, I didn't mean to imply any similarities, just wanted to make a tongue-in-cheek comment.

Personally, if I was the one writing the rules, I'd say a lich can make a new phylactery if the original is destroyed (by paying the costs again), but wouldn't be able to keep multiple active ones at once. A phylactery is sort of a "trap" for the soul, it wouldn't make much sense to have the soul simultaneously being trapped by many different devices.

As for O-Chul's statement, he might very well have believed that destroying the phylactery would kill Xykon. He would be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stricken View Post
    I tip my hat to you, Giant. For every person who rules-nitpicks you, there are bound to be ten times as many fans who are just blown away by how excellent your storytelling is.

16. - Top - End - #76

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Hmm, right....I think you've just nailed down what argument Redcloak used to convince Xykon that a decoy holy symbol is a good idea.
    Isn't it better for Team Evil if The Order realizes that Redcloak isn't wearing the phylactery anymore?
    It would be quite problematic for them, they couldn't just destroy Xykon and kill Redcloak.

And Redcloak is known to prepare Word of Recall which would need to be counterspelled.

I believe that The Order's victory will rely on MitD in the end.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

17. - Top - End - #77

Wait, so your new theory is that Redcloak will smash his holy symbol without having a backup
    Didn't say he wouldn't have a backup. Though it might be done out of spite when he thinks it doesn't matter anymore

after Xykon switched the fake for the real, without punishing Reddy at all
    Yes. Just like in SoD. Sometimes, pretending you don't know the scheme against you gives you a significant edge. Besides, Xykon needs Redcloak for the ritual.

while Xykon will be defeated, Redcloak will somehow know where Xykon's fortress is, and will lead the order there without magic?
    Didn't Redcloak go to the Astral fortress with the rest of Team Evil before moving on to the next gate? He'd know where it is. And we know he has spare holy symbols..., though the order might deny him one as a precaution.
    Attention LotR fans
    Show