New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: The Complex of Doom (IC)

"Slow down Ferris. Let's deal with that is in front of us first." Ganis calls out.

He reaches over to Khurdurm and activates his healing belt.

"Someone should look over those constructs, see if they had anything of value and see what they are in case we run into them again."

Spoiler
    Show

Burn one charge on his healing belt to heal Khurdurm for (2d8)[12] hp

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Torlak

Upon hearing that the curtains are blocking a dark room, Torlak shrugs and walk towards them. "Let me see. The dark don't bother me, lad." as starts pushing his way through as well, he calls back "We might as well make sure nothing nasty is lurking behind these curtains before looting the constructs. "

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Assuming that Ferris would mention the room is dark.
    We do know each others names, correct?

Fun fact: Torlak is over 100 years older than the second oldest character. In fact, he is 11 years older than everybody else put together. O.o Of course, calling him old man is fair turnabout for him calling you guys young. (Which he will do soon.)

Last edited by alanek2002; 2016-07-12 at 06:21 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I'm reading "we should X" as "we are doing X" to avoid extra wait time.

The grate on the west side of the room is made of unremarkable but tough steel. The bars are thick, with small gaps in between. It's secured to the wall with a few simple rotating bars, making it easy to open from this side, but very difficult to open from the other side.

Looking through it with darkvision or a light source, you can just make out a roughly hewn tunnel, approximately 5'x5'. It's definitely not the same style of cut as the portal room. It stretches off into the distance beyond sight.
    --
    Examining the constructs, you see that they are certainly not true golems. Their insides are made of clockwork mechanisms - complex, but not elegantly or expensively made. Some type of crystal appears to control the wires and cables that trigger the clockwork and springs, but the connections to the controller appear unstable. All three have the same control scheme, making you think that this was not the work of a particularly skilled craftsman.

You do find a small, slightly magical crystal inside the tubular head of the automaton that used the sonic shriek. It was wired to what may have been some type of amplifier, but which is now junk. Torlak's ability to identify magical items makes him think that it is a generalized emitter of sonic vibrations, and could probably be attached to a weapon.
    Spoiler
    Show

Least weapon crystal of sonic assault, +1 sonic damage. 600 gp value.

I'm keeping track of what I give out but it's your job to decide who gets it, log it on a character sheet, remember it exists, and use it.

--
    To the east:
    You see an apparently featureless stone room similar to the portal room. It's about 45' wide from north to south, with the curtains centered in the west wall. Approximately 90' away, the east wall has a similar set of curtains.

Partway across the room, you notice a slight sheen on the floor – condensation. Towards the east wall, it appears to give way to what your temperature-sensitive darkvision thinks is probably frost.
    Last edited by J-H; 2016-07-12 at 07:44 PM.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Torlak Huffs slightly, and calls back through the curtain. "So, do you all want to go through the narrow tunnel, or into the towards the rooms that are likely below freezing? My vote is for that narrow tunnel. Makes my fire more useful."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"I vote South. I kinda want to know what did that. And kinda don't want to know at the same time." Ganis grins looking at the broken blade and gouged flooring.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

"Me thanks, lad." Khurdrum says to Ganis with a nod. He quietly makes a prayer to Kossuth, too, as his wounds continue to heal as he listens to the others. "How is everyone else doing? Perhaps some names and any specialty are in order? Khurdrum, as you can see, I can swing me chain about with a fair amount of skill and Kossuth has been known to answer me prayers from time to time." he says with a bow.
    "That being said, one direction is just the same to me but... well, if I had to vote, let us go south."

Spoiler
    Show

Cast Lesser Vigor on himself, healing up another 14 hp over the next few rounds.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

"I'll take a vote on south too." Ferris says with a chipper tone. He walks toward the gouge and looks down the hall.
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

The hall extends about 50' to the south before ending in a wooden double door (10' wide).
    Campaign Logs:

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

"Well they definately wanted to make things big here."
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Bartaby

"Hmmm, like I said those were a low tier constuct, I hope we don't run into some of the highers until later. As for healing if you would, should I go down, do not use the postitive on me as it will only harm me, as an effect of my birth caused my soul to be tainted."

"After we look over the shells of the constructs I agree with the southbound sentiment, though why they would not allow a centaur into the vents is beyond me."

With that said and should no one look into them, Bartaby will look over the constucts for any useable material, and then head south falling in with the others, bow at the ready.

Show

If you'll and time allows, taking 20 on the search.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Ferris

"If I ventured a guess, a centaur wouldn't fit in the vent. Even some of you guys would have trouble getting around in there." Ferris seemed to be in a very good mood. Ferris flicks his short sword about a bit then inspects the broken items and the gouge.

Spoiler: Search
    Show
    Search(1d20+8)[20]
    Last edited by stanleyindraven; 2016-07-13 at 09:31 AM. Reason: color
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

The torch is perfectly usable, and even comes with a small chunk of sulphur attached that can be struck against a rough surface to start a fire once.

Upon examination, you find that the broken sword is an adamantine shortsword. The blade is snapped off 5" from the guard. The break is a little jagged, but very sharp, and it could be used as a dagger. The leather-wrapped hilt is well-made, sturdy, and comfortable in the hand. There are only a couple of small dark spots on the leather.
    Spoiler
    Show

Torch with 1 match
    Adamantine dagger (masterwork, as all adamantine weapons)
    1 lb of adamantine (the rest of the blade)

You find no traces of blood or battle, and can't tell why or how long ago these items were left here. Examination of the gouge in the floor tells you nothing except that whatever made it was probably pretty big.
    Campaign Logs:

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Ferris will relay the information. "Someone else can carry these if they want them, I'm not all that strong."
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Tharia introduces herself to the group, as she also thinks that this is a good idea. "I am Tharia, and as all dwarves, I am a child of Moradin, whose ways I follow wherever I go." She then approaches Bartaby. "I am sorry if it's rude to ask. But what do you mean by tainted?" There is some worry in her voice.
    The only way of properly dealing with me:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanil View Post
    I'm just going to increase the CR of every encounter by one for every terrible pun.
    Thanks Ceika for this great avatar!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Torlak

Torlak shrugs and speaks up. "I'll carry the broken off chunk from the sword; It won't slow me down anyways."
    Last edited by alanek2002; 2016-07-13 at 11:36 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

The group heads through the double doors to the south. The corridor is as wide as the doorway, and almost as tall. Your footsteps echo as you walk along the stone floor, finding your way by the light of the patches of phosphorescent fungus on the ceiling. There seem to be different types of fungus, based on the way the colors shift as you go along.

Kind of like this, but dimmer, patchier, and much smaller

The tunnel continues on for several minutes. You've probably traveled several thousand feet, while continuing the discussions started back in the portal room.

Suddenly, the floor drops out from under Ferris! He tries to leap forward, but his foot slips and he plunges into the pit with a scream. Torlak comes to a halt, his arms waving for balance as he barely avoids falling in.
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[8]+8 Ferris search vs DC 21 fail
    (1d20)[10]+9 Torlak search vs DC 21 fail
    (1d20)[1]+11 Reflex save vs DC 20 very fail
    (1d20)[8]
    (1d20)[2]
    (1d20)[4]

Dice in OOC thread.
    Ferris takes 4 points of falling damage and 5 points of spike damage.

Ferris hits the bottom of the pit, rolling to avoid some of the damage but also taking a nasty stab wound from a single spike.

The pit is 20' deep and runs from wall to wall (10' wide x 10' long). There is nothing in the pit except spikes, old bones, and a few bits of metal and leather scraps...and Ferris.

=>Party
    Last edited by J-H; 2016-07-13 at 01:18 PM.
    Campaign Logs:

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Torlak

"Well, glad I wasn't in first" Torlak says, as he rummages through his backpack. Upon finding his rope, he tosses one end of it to Ferris. If ferris takes the rope, Torlak will just lift him straight out.

"Anybody have plans for getting around this? I don't think I can jump it. Worst case I can try to melt the spikes, but I can't climb up very well."

Spoiler
    Show
    Tossing ferris an end of my silk rope.

My maximum lift is 300 lb, so I shouldn't need to make a strength check to lift a 40 lb halfling out of a hole. If I do, I don't try to lift him out and pass the rope to somebody else.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Bartaby

"What I meant Tharia, is that I was cursed as a child, tainted by the call of the grave, the positive effects of healing harm me, and the negative effects that usually harm living beings nourishes me."

As they arrive at the pit, Bartaby will rummage through his pack, taking longer than it should, while he murmers to himself.

"Nope, not in this situation, why do I even have this, can't believe I kept that, where did this come from..... I have one item that may help, but I doubt that it will be strong enough to support all of us. Unless someone happens to have a pole that can reach the other side in cohort with mine, we are stuck at rappelling and climbing the other side."

Show

To Blinkbear, I have the Tomb-tainted soul feat.

To All, I have a container of shapesand, but if my math is right with the 5ft cube I can control, if I shaped it into a narrow walkway, I believe it wouldn't be sturdy enough to walk on even though it takes all properties of what it is.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ganis thought for a moment. "Well if you could melt down the blades, I'd feel much more comfortable making the jump or climbing up the wall on the other side. My magics would protect me from any fall. I could carry a rope with me. Though I'm not very strong...I could probably take the halfling with me, if you dropped all your gear. Though I suspect you can climb better than I. The two of us might be able to hold one end of the rope and everyone else can climb or be pulled up."

"Alternatively I do have some minor teleportation magic that I could switch places with someone unable to make the jump or climb. But that would be a serious drain on my resources - and I'm not sure how well teleportation works in here." Ganis says less enthusiastically.

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff : (1d20+11)[24] - Ganis just told a white lie. His ring has feather fall, he doesn't.

How tough do we think it would be to climb up the other side ?

Does there seem to be anything one could tie a rope to on the other side?

Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2016-07-13 at 09:26 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Ganis will take up the broken blade part of the broken sword. aka the 1 lb chunk of adamantine, since Ferris was taking the hilt/dagger portion.

Edit: This was picked up already by someone else.

Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2016-07-14 at 08:38 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Long-range teleportation is very unreliable. Visual-range teleportation (dimension door, shadow step, abrupt jaunt, etc) works fine. Nobody's done systematic experimentation, for obvious reasons, but the key seems to be having a straight line between origin & destination that does not pass through any walls.

The floors, walls, and ceiling are essentially dressed stone; pretty smooth and featureless. The only thing you could tie a rope to is the dropped floor section or its hinges on the other side. There's always a risk that the trap could auto-reset if not disabled.
    Campaign Logs:

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Bartaby

Hmmm, get to the other side...... I do have *more rummaging* this cablespool which could pull us up one at a time if its anchored properly."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

"I have a 11 foot pole," Torlak says. "So I can reach the other side if needed, but not holding much. But first, let me start melting the blades..." Torlak then starts breathing fire in a line at the square on the right, closest to them, and works his way counterclockwise as he melts the spikes.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ganis eagerly wanted to help melt the spikes. He felt a bit left out and this bruised his ego slightly.

Spoiler
    Show

If Ferris did climb out, Ganis will help to try destroying the spikes. Otherwise he'll hold his fire so as not to hit anyone friendly.

Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2016-07-14 at 04:55 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

When Fenris falls, Tharia decides to come back to this tainted-thing later again, for now, she just gives him a glance that drips of pity.

After observing the situation for a moment. "How have people been passing that before? How is the door triggered? Some hidden floor tile or so? Could we maybe reset the trap and try to avoid the mechanism?"
    The only way of properly dealing with me:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanil View Post
    I'm just going to increase the CR of every encounter by one for every terrible pun.
    Thanks Ceika for this great avatar!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

"If you all are done with all of these crazy plans, how about I take a look at how to get this floor back up and fixed in place?" Ferris says after being pulled up from the spiky floor.

Spoiler: Disable Device
    Show
    Disable Device (1d20+8)[20]
    Last edited by stanleyindraven; 2016-07-14 at 09:32 AM. Reason: color
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Ferris has to have someone hold his torch while he works, but is able to reach through the cracks around the hinge to reset a few of the parts and disengage the mechanism. He hooks a rope down the front of the closer floor panel, and - with help from stronger party members - then pulls the false floor panel back in place.

From there, it's a matter of hopping across to the other side and repeating the same process.
    Spoiler
    Show

DC 20, you barely made it. The trap calls for a manual reset, so here's the description of what that dice roll entails. This process takes around 20 minutes.

Everyone crosses over the trapped area one at a time, but it holds.
    Campaign Logs:

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

The group marches on, a little warier and a little bloodier, as the tunnel continues. There’s a very slight bend to the left – so slight that only the dwarves easily pick up on it – and over the course of an hour the tunnel seems to turn to the east.

It ends in another pair of closed wooden double doors, apparently identical to the one at the other end of the hall. The doors are latched from this side with a simple hook-and-eye across the middle. A skilled rogue could probably pick the latch from the far side if necessary.
    Last edited by J-H; 2016-07-14 at 10:02 AM.
    Campaign Logs:

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Ferris will take his time unlocking the door.
    Spoiler: If you want a roll
    Show
    (1d20+12)[13]
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Ferris carefully lifts the hook out of the eye, unlatching the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    the latch is on this side - I just noted that a skilled thief could pick it from the other side

The doors are unlatched.
    Campaign Logs: