New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,499 of 1499
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Complex of Doom (IC)

Torlak says nothing, merely shaking his head slightly while thinking of the fallen. They should have been wearing dwarven plate...

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Firbolg in the Playground

The dread necromancer stood tall and smiled. The spectral hand flew back to its place at his left hand. His right hand was in a pocket, being used to funnel dark energies into himself to recover from the battle. The demon zombie stood besides him. They had won. His plans could continue.

"I'm Kricen. This is Babs, a demon we also vanquished. That's Torlak, and Pum. We lost two back there by the ledge along with a large skeletal dinosaur. Don't destroy these raptors yet. I'll be able to use some of them and want to pick the best ones. We should have 2 days before they rise again but we need to be aware of scavengers."

"Shall we get our fallen then explore the nest?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Start healing myself 2hp at a time. Once I'm healed (under 2 minutes), start healing the zombie (many more minutes) in between the jobs I give it.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gyriss

Gyriss wanders over, out of breath. "I am Gyriss. " He says simply. He looks over the gathered survivors and didn't recognize anyone. This made him a little sad and concerned. "Have you guys seen another group of dwarfs pass through here?" He asks. He pulls a still usable arrow out of a dead lizard and tucks it in his quiver.

Gyriss pulls out his wand and begins patching up his too-many-to-count injuries. As he does so, he conveys everything he knows about the weird room/teleporter and the obelisk and how he got here.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Titan in the Playground

"Sorry, no Gyriss. I fear you're friends have gone the way of mine. If all of you had not have come upon this area when you did, I think I would have been, too. Being unconscious in their nest... Well, all of you have my thanks." Shim says as he bows again, this time even deeper than before.

5. - Top - End - #1475

Gyriss begins to tell his story and Kricen perks right up. He pays strict attention to the dwarf while healing his own wounds. He takes mental notes to query further when there was more time, once the battlefield was secure.

"One of our dead back there is a dwarf, plus Torlak here. I've not seen any other dwarves. Come on, time to collect our dead before scavengers steal away with their bodies" ... and their precious gear.

Kricen will walk back with Babs beside him, healing the zombie as they go. Assuming the others come too, split the gear then have Babs carry the bodies and remaining gear. They'll then head to the nest along the ledge.

Show
    Does Gyriss' story match anything Kricen ever heard about the Complex? This whole thing about weird room, teleporter, and obelisk is of critical significance in his quest to understand the Complex.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Titan in the Playground

Gyrris' story is not anything Kricen has heard before. The etherealness might explain one or two things that the rest of the party observed earlier in their travels, but it was prior to descending to this giant jungle area.

The nest itself appears clear. The pillar in the middle still has several small glowing crystals on it. Based on what you read in the journal you found, they could probably be broken off and consumed. The raptor manifester appears to have done so.

The runeforge is to the northwest of the nest, outside it and in its own little depression.

The stream that flows through the nest dumps out into a large swampy area full of lily pads and vines and the like. Gyrris thinks he sees a spear sticking up out of the swamp, which is odd…but it’s not moving and may have been there for some time. It looks dirty and mucky.

7. - Top - End - #1477

Kricen has Babs follow carrying Ganis and Khrudrum to the runeforge. Once there Babs keeps watch while Kricen removes the fallens' gear and lays them out next to the forge. "Claim what you want here. They no longer have need of it. What of their bodies? Simply burying them will leave their bodies to animate without being able to escape, forever."
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Titan in the Playground

"They were your friends, so I can't speak for them, but an honor funeral pyre is just as acceptable as a grave in my culture." Shim says in a somber tone. "Whatever we decide, we should do it sooner than later."

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Ogre in the Playground

Auldtrim nods. "Aye. I recommend a pyre as well." He says. "If we can't find the wood, I can burn them myself... but that isn't my first resort."

10. - Top - End - #1480

"Fine with me. Someone gather wood for it. I'll deal with the dead dinosaurs. We don't need dozens of them rising back up and coming after us. I will pick a prime specimen or two to replace Aly. Will someone come keep watch while I handle the dirty work?"
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Titan in the Playground

Kricen looks around, and doesn't see any deadwood lying around. The moist environment likely means that any dead trees decay rapidly. You'll have to search further afield in the forest, or cut some trees down for firewood. Gyrris, as a ranger, is certainly familiar with the fact that freshly cut trees are moist and full of sap, and do not burn well.

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Ogre in the Playground

Torlak shrugs after learning of this. "Looks like Dwarf-flame it is. Does anybody have any rites they wish to say over them before cremation?" He asks, looking at his fellow survivors.

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Titan in the Playground

"I can speak a few words but I didn't know your friends."

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Titan in the Playground

Kricen and the others examine the bodies of the dinosaurs, locating several psionic/useful items. Given time, Torlak is able to easily identify them with his magic.

Spoiler: Loot
    Show

Handy invocation for times like this!

Large raptors:
    Psionic Tattoo of Wall Walker x2

Raptor caster:
    Amulet of Charisma +2
    Bracers of Strength +2
    Crawling tattoo of Body Adjustment (1d12) x 1
    Crawling tattoo of Hustle x2
    Power Stone of Energy Wall (Fire), 1 charge, DC 15

The pillar in the middle of the nest still has some glowing crystals that could be consumed, if you’re willing to risk it.

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gyriss

Gyriss nods at the mention of wood. "There is an odd spear over yonder if someone is going to venture around for wood. Might be worth investigating."

16. - Top - End - #1486

"If no one else wants the breastplate, I'll take it. I'll leave my mithral chain shirt here if anyone wants it. Kricen trades out the armors. He leaves his old armor with the pile of items gained previously by the runeforge for the party to go through.

Kricen beckons Babs the undead demon to follow him. His first stop is the former one legged alpha raptor. He searches it, finding an assortment of magical and psionic items, and collects them up. He has Babs drag the body just south of the nest then rip its head off so there is no chance for it to return.

Kricen walks with Babs reviewing each of the dead raptors. One by one he has Babs rip the head off all but three. Those three, 1 large and 2 smaller raptors, are dragged to a line just south of the nest. There, he tediously directs the zombie to use its claws to carve off large sections of the dead raptors skins, leaving the underlying tissues in place. It stinks, but the potential keeps Kricen's focus on the job at hand. With all of that done, he has Babs start digging three holes in the moist soil, each deep enough to bury a raptor with just its mostly skinned head above ground. The raptors get pushed into their holes. Kricen holds the heads above ground as Babs fills in and packs the dirt. He returns to the runeforge to meet up with the party again.

"Some of them actually had items of note." He drops all but the tattoos with the pile from before. He bares his arms to show the tattoos for Torlak to identify. "I'd like one of the wall tattoos. The rest are up for grabs. Found anything while I was gone?"

"A runeforge! We should take full advantage of it. We have earned it."

Show
    Still waiting on input for who wants what.

I'm not planning on taking all three raptors. Probably just one and leave the other two as undead and stuck in the dirt as reserves I could come back for. The carving work is designed to leave them to return as skeletons.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1487

Kricen makes use of the Runeforge, trading in the pile of loot after the party picks through it. Torlak ends up with a crystal for his armor. Kricen and Pum get 2 scrolls each to help with the charisma damage from the raptor's psionics. Kricen reads one scroll for each them and after several attempts gets it right with the scrolls.

He takes a seat on a random rock near the Runeforge and finally takes a breather physically and mentally. After a few minutes he speaks up. "Well, that was one hell of a day of fighting. It's nearly dark now so time to set up camp. Set up here in the nest or up on the ledge? Any other predators in the area should know better than to approach the raptor nest, at least for now. I've mostly buried some of the raptors. Please leave them for me. Aly was quite useful. These won't fully replace her but will still be quite useful in keeping us alive."

"We still have the pillar here to destroy. What have you found to be the best way to destroy them? Anyone going to eat one of the crystals? I will not. I am spent magically. Destroy it in the morning then make the remainder of the day a day of rest? The new pets should be up within 48 hours from what I've seen."

Show
    Going to assume Kricen was still busy (his tasks took a while) when Gyriss mentioned the spear in the water. Anyone going to investigate that in the meantime?

This is the first pillar I've come across IC although I figure Kricen had seen some before joining this group. He's also at +13 for Knowledge (Local- Complex). What does he know about destroying them?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Titan in the Playground

"I know nothing of how to destroy these pillars. With my fallen group, we never had an opportunity, being swarmed by those huge lizards like we were." Shim says as his voice tightens at the thought of his lost friends.

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Ogre in the Playground

Torlak strokes his beard for a moment. "...We should destroy them before resting. They seems to change things around them; I don't want to sleep next to that."

20. - Top - End - #1490

"OK. The question is how? My magic is spent so all I can offer is my negative touch, Bab's bashing, or my dagger. Your fire? Pum's greataxe? Maybe our newcomers have specialties that can help?"
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Titan in the Playground

"I have some talent in... breaking things, you can say. When I focus, I can usually find a weak spot and take advantage of it." Shim says with a grin.

Spoiler
    Show

Mountain Hammer

22. - Top - End - #1492

Kricen nods. "You can have the honors then." He watches from a ways back, with Babs the zombie next to himself.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Titan in the Playground

Shim nods, a bit uncertain about the whole plan evident on his face. Looking at his polearm and pulling out his morning star, he hefts each for a couple of moments before guisarme.
    Walking up to the pillar, he studies it for a few moments as he focuses both inwards and outwards. Without a practice shot, he heaves back, muscles rippling as he puts every ounce of power into his shot, and swings.

Spoiler
    Show

Power attack for 5 with Mountain Hammer using all 3 charges from his Brute Gauntlets
    (1d20+6)[16]

Damage
    (2d4+13)[17] + (2d6)[6] Mountain Hammer

Crit 20/x3
    (1d20+6)[16]
    (4d4+26)[36]

24. - Top - End - #1494
    Titan in the Playground

The group burns the bodies of their fallen friends, dispersing the bones enough to keep them from being useful for necromancy.

One large and two small raptors are skinned enough to expose bone in many areas, and buried. The remainder have their heads removed to prevent them coming back as undead.

Gyrris and Kricen have healed themselves, and the damage cause by Ego Whip has been mostly removed.

Spoiler: hp
    Show

Shim 10 damage
    Pum 31 damage
    Torlak 27 damage, 3 cha damage

[/spoiler]

Shim takes careful aim at the unmoving object and slices into it near the base. With one or two more well-placed hits, it falls and crumbles, leaving rocks of various size on the ground, including several glowing crystals.

The group has not yet rested.
    => Party (I'll start IC thread 2 when the group rests)

25. - Top - End - #1495

Kricen watches Shim intently, wishing there was a way to learn more about the crystals and to know how the whole complex worked.

"Best to smash the crystals too. Don't want any other creatures around here to eat them then give us problems later."
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Titan in the Playground

Shim nods as he pulls out his morning star. Setting the crystals on some sturdy rock, he looks at the others. "You're sure about this, right?" he hesitates a moment before beginning to make short work of the remaining crystals, laying them out into ever smaller shards. Once satisfied, he finds a place were he can dig up the ground and lay the remains on, then finds a regular stone to cap it with, for good measure.
    Wiping the sweat and grime from his brow, he hunches down and takes a drink from his skin. "Alright, time to get something in my stomach. Been a while since I ate and I'm feeling a little sucked in, if you know what I mean. We all could do with some rest." Once under cover in the nest, he sings the group a song to help them rest easier.

27. - Top - End - #1497

Kricen helps set up camp, using Babs for any hard labor. Overnight Kricen will take a watch whereas Babs will be on guard duty all night.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1498
    Titan in the Playground

Shim, taking his watch and resting in between, wonders how and where they will be able to get out of this underground hell.
    As he is roused by the last watch, he sits and stretches, looking out at the lush but also bleak landscape. "Alright, kids. What's the next step from here?"

29. - Top - End - #1499
    Titan in the Playground

The group has rested. Here's the new IC thread!