New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What prestige class should Roy take?

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I was thinking of Tsusiko and Elan. Not sure how I forgot Julio, but the shadow dancer totally slipped my mind.

However, considering that like 95% of the classes in the comic are Core, if we do want Roy to pick a prestige class it should be a Core class. And TBH I can't think of any that would be even slightly useful
    Hmmm... This is from memory, so it might be imperfect. Still, I'm fairly sure I've got all the classes that have appeared in the comic.

Core: Fighter, Wizard, Sorcerer, Paladin, Monk, Ranger, Cleric, Bard, Druid, Rogue, Barbarian, Arcane Trickster, Mystic Theurge, Shadowdancer, Assassin, Warrior, Aristocrat, Commoner.

Non-core: Psion, Soulknife, Dashing Swordsman, Favored Soul, Crusader, Ninja, Spymaster.

Unless I've missed something, that's 18 core classes and 7 non-core, so a little under 3/4 of the classes seen are core. That's less than 75%.

Ha!

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's implied Kubota had levels in Spymaster.
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2016-10-08 at 05:10 AM.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    EDIT: Oh yeah, it's implied Kubota had levels in Spymaster.
    Can you elaborate?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Can you elaborate?
    Kubota said that he had an "aristocrat-friendly prestige class that grants the extraordinary ability to fool magical lie detection". His Tvtropes character folder says that it's probably Spymaster, and I must say it fits him perfectly. One way or another it's non-core.

EDIT: Okay, it could have been Assassin, and since Spymaster only works if Kubota... wasn't really Kubota... yeah, critfailed on that Knowledge(prestige classes) check.
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2016-10-08 at 08:13 AM.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Kubota said that he had an "aristocrat-friendly prestige class that grants the extraordinary ability to fool magical lie detection". His Tvtropes character folder says that it's probably Spymaster, and I must say it fits him perfectly. One way or another it's non-core.
    Aha. Forgot about that line. Thanks!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

EDIT: Okay, it could have been Assassin, and since Spymaster only works if Kubota... wasn't really Kubota... yeah, critfailed on that Knowledge(prestige classes) check.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see a reason "Kubota, the Azure City Noble" would have to be one of his cover identities. That could be the real him and he has some other identities he could assume when needed.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see a reason "Kubota, the Azure City Noble" would have to be one of his cover identities. That could be the real him and he has some other identities he could assume when needed.
    Oh yeah... The OotS wiki must be wrong on that part, plus the Paladins probably wouldn't let Kubota cast a Glibness spell(which Assassins get) right in front of them.

Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Kubota doesn't actually say which prc he took; it could be 'Azure City Deceiver', which he learnt from his father. He does specify it's an extraordinary ability to fool magical truth spells, which Spymaster doesn't have.

As for Roy's prc; Exemplar. Everyone loves Exemplars.
    I admit full culpability for Phyrnglsnyx

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rift_Wolf View Post
    He does specify it's an extraordinary ability to fool magical truth spells, which Spymaster doesn't have.
    Deep Cover (Ex): At 7th level, a spymaster becomes able to quiet her mind and completely immerse herself in her cover identity. While she operates under deep cover, divination spells detect only information appropriate to her cover identity; they reveal nothing relating to her spymaster persona.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Deep Cover (Ex): At 7th level, a spymaster becomes able to quiet her mind and completely immerse herself in her cover identity. While she operates under deep cover, divination spells detect only information appropriate to her cover identity; they reveal nothing relating to her spymaster persona.
    Huh. Missed that bit.
    So Kubota had at least two identities, bot called Kubota?
    I admit full culpability for Phyrnglsnyx

10. - Top - End - #40
    Colossus in the Playground

I doubt very much that Rich bothered to look up official prestige classes before writing that line. For reasons including, but by no means limited to, knowing that Kubota was about to meet the qualifications for the Pile of Ash prestige class.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I doubt very much that Rich bothered to look up official prestige classes before writing that line. For reasons including, but by no means limited to, knowing that Kubota was about to meet the qualifications for the Pile of Ash prestige class.
    He might also have simply known what a spymaster was, and decided that Kubota might as well be one.

Of course, if we're treating OOTSverse as a real place rather than a fictional world, we may as well leave Rich's thought process out of it.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

12. - Top - End - #42

You want to pretend "what prestige class did Kubota have" is a question that Rich's thought processes are irrelevant to, go ahead, but don't expect me to.

Now, if everyone who's been talking about Kubota's prestige class wants to say the question is, "Is there a D&D prestige class that fits the ability Kubota said he had?" instead, I would agree that that has nothing to do with Rich's thought processes.
    Last edited by Kish; 2016-10-11 at 02:13 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

You want to pretend "what prestige class did Kubota have" is a question that Rich's thought processes are irrelevant to, go ahead, but don't expect me to.

Now, if everyone who's been talking about Kubota's prestige class wants to say the question is, "Is there a D&D prestige class that fits the ability Kubota said he had?" instead, I would agree that that has nothing to do with Rich's thought processes.
    I said that if we're treating OOTSverse as a real place rather than a fictional world, we may as well leave Rich's thought process out of it. If OOTSverse is a real world, Rich as an author does not exist, so of course what he thinks is irrelevant. In this view, only information provided in the story itself is meaningful, and external commentaries, etc., aren't considered valid.

You may think that such a view is silly, but it's a very common one. Ask any literary critic. In any case, I wasn't assuming it in my post, hence the word "if."
    Last edited by Emanick; 2016-10-11 at 02:31 PM.

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    I said that if we're treating OOTSverse as a real place rather than a fictional world, we may as well leave Rich's thought process out of it. If OOTSverse is a real world, Rich as an author does not exist, so of course what he thinks is irrelevant. In this view, only information provided in the story itself is meaningful, and external commentaries, etc., aren't considered valid.

You may think that such a view is silly, but it's a very common one. Ask any literary critic. In any case, I wasn't assuming it in my post, hence the word "if."
    Common ideas can be silly, since the commonness of an idea does not add weight to its usefulness or "truthiness". Argumentum ad populum = fallacy.

Of course OOTS is not a real world. That is obvious. You do realise that its obvious... right?

Even if it was a real world, Rich is its god-like creator and what he thinks is absolutely relevant since it impacts the creation and maintenance of the world absolutely.

If it was a real world, that had spontaneously generated itself and we were actually watching that generation through the 4th-wall, then what you wrote makes sense. But none of that is true. So I guess what you wrote doesn't make sense.

Literary critics: Bite me, I guess?

(of course, if you were making some kind of comment on how a good author can make a world seem real and that it can operate independent of its creator, and since some people treat it like a real world that means Rich is a great author, then I agree, and so does logic.)
    Last edited by Boblar; 2016-10-12 at 09:49 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45

Indeed. If you think there's a legitimate case that we should pretend the question "what prestige class did Kubota have?" doesn't involve Rich's decisions, make the case, don't just appeal to authority.

(I can't make head or tail of what you're even getting at with the "I said if" thing. You, and as far as I can see only you, suddenly proposed approaching the comic in a way that makes no sense to me. If you presume that everything since they reached the brain-damaging gases in the Dungeon of Dorukan has been Haley's coma-dream there's no such character as Kubota, but if I stuck that phrase in the thread when it wasn't part of an illustrative example, it would be entirely legitimate for people to see that I had proposed presuming that and expect me to give an accounting of why.)
    Last edited by Kish; 2016-10-12 at 11:44 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Boblar View Post
    Common ideas can be silly, since the commonness of an idea does not add weight to its usefulness or "truthiness". Argumentum ad populum = fallacy.

Of course OOTS is not a real world. That is obvious. You do realise that its obvious... right?

Even if it was a real world, Rich is its god-like creator and what he thinks is absolutely relevant since it impacts the creation and maintenance of the world absolutely.

If it was a real world, that had spontaneously generated itself and we were actually watching that generation through the 4th-wall, then what you wrote makes sense. But none of that is true. So I guess what you wrote doesn't make sense.

Literary critics: Bite me, I guess?

(of course, if you were making some kind of comment on how a good author can make a world seem real and that it can operate independent of its creator, and since some people treat it like a real world that means Rich is a great author, then I agree, and so does logic.)
    Okay, let me try explaining this in a different way.

Since we're never going to know what Rich thinks is Kubota's prestige class, what he thinks is irrelevant. We can only guess what he thinks. As OOTSverse's "god-like creator," if he declared that Kubota was a Spymaster, or a Blackguard, or an Acolyte of the Wooly-Footed Platypus, then that would be that. But since he hasn't weighed in on the matter, and presumably won't, what Rich thinks in his own head about Kubota can't possibly affect our view of the character, because we don't know anything about it. Thus, it's irrelevant.

In-story, though, we still know that Kubota has a specific prestige class. It doesn't remain "Generic, Non-Specific Prestige Class" just because we don't know what it is, any more than, say, Elan has no blood type simply because Rich hasn't told us what that blood type is. Again, if you want to get literal, none of the characters have "real" classes or blood types or anything, because they don't exist - but that's beside the point, isn't it?

Regarding common ideas and literary criticism - there is no "right" or "wrong" way to conceptualize storytelling and literary theory. Different people, unsurprisingly, view storytelling in different ways. Since the whole concept of how to think about imaginary universes is subjective, you can't simply say that someone who talks about the Death of the Author is *wrong*. That misses the point.

Anyway, this is not a very important point, so I probably won't discuss it further. I only responded to Kish to begin with because I have a difficult time not responding to condescending snark.

17. - Top - End - #47

Let me be clear about what my position on Kubota's prestige class is.

I think, based on Rich's writing process as he's repeatedly described it (Vaarsuvius' level is channa masala), there is a ~5% chance he had a specific class in mind when he wrote that line for Kubota, and a ~95% chance he simply made one up, like he made up Dashing Swordsman but with all the details reduced to "lets you ignore magical lie detection, and is 'aristocrat-friendly' in some way I'm not going to bother to figure out."

If you want to tie that line to a prestige class that exists in D&D, you can comb the D&D books, but I'll be surprised if you find anything that fits the description given without handwaving the "aristocrat-friendly" line so hard that it becomes "dgdsgsdtle-iertaskh," or having other really conspicuous problems (like Spymaster, which, as has been discussed, only fits if you decide that Kubota's identity was one of multiple cover identities he, never hinted at, had).
    Last edited by Kish; 2016-10-13 at 05:43 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Let me be clear about what my position on Kubota's prestige class is.

I think, based on Rich's writing process as he's repeatedly described it (Vaarsuvius' level is channa masala), there is a ~5% chance he had a specific class in mind when he wrote that line for Kubota, and a ~95% chance he simply made one up, like he made up Dashing Swordsman but with all the details reduced to "lets you ignore magical lie detection, and is 'aristocrat-friendly' in some way I'm not going to bother to figure out."

If you want to tie that line to a prestige class that exists in D&D, you can comb the D&D books, but I'll be surprised if you find anything that fits the description given without handwaving the "aristocrat-friendly" line so hard that it becomes "dgdsgsdtle-iertaskh," or having other really conspicuous problems (like Spymaster, which, as has been discussed, only fits if you decide that Kubota's identity was one of multiple cover identities he, never hinted at, had).
    I think what you're trying to say is "Even if there weren't any aristocrat-friendly prestige classes that granted immunity to magical lie detection, Kubota still would have had one"

Also:

if you decide that Kubota's identity was one of multiple cover identities he, never hinted at, had).
    I mean, most people who have multiple cover identities aren't going to hint at that fact.

19. - Top - End - #49

Sometimes I miss the ??? smiley.