New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 59 12345678910112651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default RWBY VIII: Well, THAT escalated quickly

Spoiler: Really, that got out of hand fast
    Show

Hello and welcome to the 8th iteration of the RWBY threads!

RWBY is an western made, anime style, 3d computer animation, freely available, web series, with variable length episodes, originally created by Monty Oum for Rooster Teeth. Unfortunately, Monty Oum has passed away, but his creation lives on.

RWBY is pronounced "ruby" and is an acronym for the four main team members: Red, White, Black, Yellow - aka Ruby, Weiss, Blake, Yang. All of the main characters have some folklore, fairy tale, or historical reference, but are very much their own characters and are not based on that reference. In addition, every character (with the only known exception being Ozpin) and team name is based on a colour. While some are obvious, others need to be traced back a fair way to find something that is associated with a colour.

Watch:
    First Episode: Rooster Teeth YouTube
    Latest Episode: Rooster Teeth
    Playlist: YouTube, Rooster Teeth

Trailers:
    Red: Rooster Teeth YouTube
    White: Rooster Teeth YouTube
    Black: Rooster Teeth YouTube
    Yellow: Rooster Teeth YouTube

Wikis:
    Wikia

RWBY Chibi: Spoiler Warning
    Playlist: Rooster Teeth YouTube

Previous threads:
    0 - Rwby
    1 - RWBY (Ruby)
    2 - RWBY 2sday: Birdie, NO!!!
    3 - RWBY III: These kids just keep getting weirder.
    4 - RWBY IV: I Love These Guys
    5 - RWBY V: Inspired by Real Physics!
    6 - RWBY VI: This thread is also a gun tribute to Monty Oum
    7 - RWBY VII: Winter is coming here

New episodes are available to the public every Sunday on Rooster Teeth at 10:00am CT (4:00pm GMT). This equates to Monday morning in places like Australia (e.g. 2:00am in Queensland) and Sunday afternoon in places like the UK [I will confirm the exact times for the current volume shortly]. Paid subscribers can access it a full day early. It is then uploaded to YouTube a week later.

We are currently between seasons. The next season is scheduled to start on 22 October 2016. However, in the interim, a series of non-canonical animated shorts (called RWBY Chibi) are being released weekly on Rooster Teeth (free membership required to watch in first week, paid membership to watch on first day) and a week later on YouTube.

Rawhide's recommendation:
    Watch Episode 1 first, followed by the four trailers in order, then all remaining episodes starting with Episode 2 in order. You can skip all remaining trailers (and most bonus footage, such as opening titles animation) as they are your more traditional trailers made from scenes from the show, while the first four trailers are new footage and include story elements not included in the series proper. However, do not skip the World of Remnant videos, as they include useful information regarding things such as how the technology in the series works. Warning: Don't watch the first volume of RWBY Chibi until after completion of Volume 3, as it contains spoilers.

Notes on terminology:
    Throughout these threads you will see people refer to things as a volume, season, chapter, and episode. There is currently no functional difference between a volume and a season, so these two terms are currently synonymous. In most of their material, Rooster Teeth refer to a season as a volume.

While it is largely synonymous, there is, however, an important distinction between chapter and episode that you should be aware of to prevent confusion. For Volume 1, 10 episodes (termed "chapters") were planned. However, in order to release one episode per week to the internet, Rooster Teeth opted to slice some of these chapters into two parts. This resulted in the 10 original chapters (released on the DVD and BluRay in their original 10 episode form) being split into 16 episodes on the web. This can make some things confusing when referring to the episode numbers between different mediums. Rooster Teeth have promised not to do this for future volumes.

Spoiler: Volume 1 Chapter/Episode Breakdown
    Show
    Chapter Title Episodes
    1 Ruby Rose 1
    2 The Shining Beacon 2 & 3
    3 The First Step 4 & 5
    4 The Emerald Forest 6 & 7
    5 Players and Pieces 8
    6 The Badge and The Burden 9 & 10
    7 Jaunedice 11 & 12
    8 Forever Fall 13 & 14
    9 The Stray 15
    10 Black & White 16

Due in part to the staggered release of the episodes (e.g. not making it to YouTube for a full week), we have a much tighter ship regarding spoilers than you may be used to. Please be sure to read the full spoiler rules for RWBY below.

Spoiler: Official note on spoilers
    Show
    Official note on spoilers:
    • After a new episode is posted at Rooster Teeth's site, discussion about that episode will be considered spoilers for no less than one week, and all discussion about it must be done in spoiler boxes.
    • Anything released prior to that (RTX, leaks, etc.) will be considered spoilers until no earlier than one week after the official reveal in the episode it relates to on Rooster Teeth's site.
    • All spoiler boxes must indicate clearly in the spoiler box's title (i.e. [spoiler=title]) what episode it is spoiling (even when replying), including the volume and episode number.
    • This period of one week is a minimum amount only. You should consider using spoiler boxes for longer, particularly for larger spoilers.
    • It is recommended, but not mandatory, that you consider using spoiler boxes for older information to assist new fans still catching up. Again, please indicate the episode in the spoiler box's title.

The YouTube videos, for one, are a week behind, and on top of new people walking into the thread from YouTube without knowing, we have people who cannot watch it from the official site. Keeping them labelled like this is important for those behind so that they know what is safe to open and what isn't. When replying to spoilers without a title, it becomes difficult to determine which episode it was referring to. e.g. "Was the original post about the current episode or a previous episode but the discussion is still ongoing?"

For the purposes of this thread, please never use a spoiler box without a title. If it's not a spoiler but, for example, you're just keeping things such as images, off topic discussion, or walls of text tidy, please mention that in the spoiler box title. When breaking up quotes, always remember to reinsert the spoiler box title.

Thread purpose:
    This is a thread for fans of RWBY to chill out and relax, to discuss the goings on of RWBY. It is intended for discussions about in universe events you noticed in the episodes, speculation, theories, fan art, news, information revealed by staff and cast members, etc.

We all know that RWBY is far from a perfect series, there are many flaws with the animation, voice acting, audio, and so on, though in general we all recognise that it is getting better overall. However, discussion that was purely critical of the show's creation and creators overrode and hindered the more general discussion about what had happened in the most recent episodes. In between seasons, this is not that huge of a deal, but during the running of a current season, it can overwhelm the thread and lead to a place that feels hostile and uninviting rather than relaxing to fans of the series.

It is for this reason that the much more critical and in depth arguments about what people feel is wrong about the show or how events which have already taken place in the show should be re-written now have a thread of their own (Rewriting RWBY: Stepping into Monty’s fancy shoes). This will hopefully allow both types of discussions to thrive, without either majorly impacting on the other. This is in the experimental stages, and we are still working through which types of discussions go where. We'll learn as we go along and try to better delineate the difference or change it to what works better over time.

If what you're doing is making a complaint about the creators of the show/some aspect about how the show was created or should have been created, then it's deemed to be part of the rewrite thread, even if you personally are not rewriting it. Pretty much everything else remains here.

It's very important for these rules not to not stifle discussion, or create an environment which acts like an echo chamber of purely positive comments, which is something we are desperately trying to avoid in this experiment. Remember that it's perfectly fine to discuss how you don't like a character because of who they are in this thread, but when it becomes about disliking the quality of writing for the character, it should go to the rewrite thread.
    Last edited by Rawhide; 2016-11-30 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Quick schedule update

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: RWBY VIII: Well, THAT escalated quickly

With the release of RWBY: Grimm Eclipse on Steam, volumes 1, 2, and 3 or RWBY are now available to rent or purchase on Steam!

WARNING:
    My recommendation is that you don't touch these with a 100 foot barge pole. All movies/shows available to buy or rent on Steam are for streaming only. You cannot download, save, store, backup, transfer, etc. any video purchases from Steam. This isn't Rooster Teeth's doing, it's Valve's.

I've also read reports that it doesn't include any bonus content. So, you are literally paying to stream what you can stream for free. If you'd like to support Rooster Teeth/RWBY, I suggest you buy the DVD(s) or BluRay(s) and/or become a sponsor on their site (which, amongst other things, grants you access to RWBY one day early). Don't support Valve's business model.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Normally Valve's business model is a model that deserves supporting. Paying a substantial sum to stream RWBY when it's literally available for free....that suggests carelessness or inflexibility or both....

...That's what I thought at first. However, RWBY is available on Netflix, on iTunes and on Crunchyroll. On two of the sites they pay RT for the rights to stream it through their platform. iTunes charges the standard rate. There's probably a ton other platforms that have RWBY and either pay RT for it or charge users for it, like Xbox store and Hulu and so on...

Valve is just a smaller time platform but it supports it's own set of devices and works much like the other content-delivery services with its own experience. No reason they shouldn't charge like everyone else does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Normally Valve's business model is a model that deserves supporting. Paying a substantial sum to stream RWBY when it's literally available for free....that suggests carelessness or inflexibility or both....

...That's what I thought at first. However, RWBY is available on Netflix, on iTunes and on Crunchyroll. On two of the sites they pay RT for the rights to stream it through their platform. iTunes charges the standard rate. There's probably a ton other platforms that have RWBY and either pay RT for it or charge users for it, like Xbox store and Hulu and so on...

Valve is just a smaller time platform but it supports it's own set of devices and works much like the other content-delivery services with its own experience. No reason they shouldn't charge like everyone else does.
    Also keep in mind that RT had to put it up there in the first place, and sign off on it.

5. - Top - End - #5

Normally Valve's business model is a model that deserves supporting.
    I disagree entirely. Valve's business model regarding the sale of movies/shows for streaming only is horrible. If you buy it on iTunes, you can download it and save it. If you buy it on Google Play, you can download it and save it. If you buy it on Steam, you cannot.

Paying a substantial sum to stream RWBY when it's literally available for free....that suggests carelessness or inflexibility or both....

As addressed above, if you buy it on iTunes, you get to download and keep it for as long as you want. You can save and backup the files. You can transfer the files between devices. Unfortunately, iTunes still includes DRM on video files, so I don't recommend that either (but then again, so does Google Play, UltraViolet, etc. If you were going to buy a digital copy on any of them, iTunes is the best).

Netflix and Crunchyroll are fundamentally different. At no point have you paid directly for RWBY and RWBY only. You're paying for a streaming service which just happens to include streams which are also available free alongside the regular content which is not. I would never suggest paying for Netflix or Crunchyroll to stream RWBY. I would, however, suggest paying for Netflix or Crunchyroll to stream all of those other shows which are available. If, once you have either of those services, you find streaming RWBY more convenient on that service, then that's merely a side benefit.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hey guys, it's been a while. Sorry I've not popped by on occasion, it's just Real Life (read: university) is pretty intense and I've not really had time to watch the final couple of episodes of RWBY. Until now. I'll be doing a full analysis at some point but first let me say:

WOW!

They REALLY went in there, and honestly it answered a lot of the issues I and a few others had with the show. Season 3 was generally a huge improvement on the previous one and I eagerly await season 4. If I were to critique it I'd say some of the last few episodes felt a little rushed but really that was pretty 'armless.

Get it?

Because Yang.

I'll see myself out

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Please do that. And don't quit your day job.

Edit:

Spoiler: RWBY Chibi ep 9.
    Show
    En, Rin bit was not horrible but a tad underwhelming. The Wiess Ruby skit though was decided one of the weaker bits.
    Last edited by Metahuman1; 2016-07-08 at 04:46 AM.
    "I Burn!"

8. - Top - End - #8

Oh hey RWBY Chibi 9 is out.

Spoiler: RWBY Chibi 9: actual garbage
    Show
    ...somehow they've exceeded themselves from last time. I cannot understand how you can make something so unfunny. "YOU MADE ME DO THIS" *fish flops on Weiss's desk*.

The bit with Ren might be funny if Ren...had a character. At all. I'm guessing this'll be a recurring gag too.

.......that's IT?! Two skits. Not even funny skits. Skits that exceptionally overstayed their welcome or just weren't really that funny. Ah, this feels like home again.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I disagree entirely. Valve's business model regarding the sale of movies/shows for streaming only is horrible. If you buy it on iTunes, you can download it and save it. If you buy it on Google Play, you can download it and save it. If you buy it on Steam, you cannot.

As addressed above, if you buy it on iTunes, you get to download and keep it for as long as you want. You can save and backup the files. You can transfer the files between devices. Unfortunately, iTunes still includes DRM on video files, so I don't recommend that either...
    I think when we get into the fine details of pay per download vs renting a streaming library vs pay for a particular video stream...we are getting into FNKY gymnastics. If people like Valve enough to pay for a stream that's there business...if everyone else sees what Valve is doing, finds it can work, and decides get rid of video downloads altogether that's a battle for another time.

I didn't know you could get popular content DRM-free these day through any pay service.
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

10. - Top - End - #10

I think when we get into the fine details of pay per download vs renting a streaming library vs pay for a particular video stream...we are getting into FNKY gymnastics.
    Negative. There is a clear distinction. Especially when the streaming is otherwise free and includes no bonus content in the paid release. But even then, I'd sooner support a service which allows downloads than one which only allows streaming of content you have purchased to own individually.

The fact that RWBY is also available on subscription based streaming libraries is a false equivalency to what I was stating and in no way undermines the fact that Steam's video service is incredibly inferior to other such services which allow downloading and saving of the content. It also doesn't change the fact that (according to reports from disappointed purchasers) it does not include any additional content you cannot already get for free. What reason do you have to pay Valve when there are better ways to get the content? You can get the same content for free, or you can pay the same amount or less for better content. I do recommend supporting Rooster Teeth, but I don't recommend supporting them this way, so I provided alternative methods of providing them with your money while getting better value and a better service for what you pay.

If people like Valve enough to pay for a stream that's there business...if everyone else sees what Valve is doing, finds it can work, and decides get rid of video downloads altogether that's a battle for another time.
    If you had the opportunity to warn people you know that between two services which cost the same, one is clearly a lot better, would you? I'm not talking jumping into their conversations when you weren't invited and ramming it down their throats, I mean providing a review of a service in an appropriate place.

Businesses only change their attitudes when people vote with their feet. You can spend the same amount or less to own the content digitally with the ability to download and save or in physical form. It's a battle for now.

Buying the series on Steam provides you with only the ability to stream the content you can already stream for free and you get no bonus content. You cannot download it, you cannot save it, you cannot back it up, you cannot transfer it between devices. In order to watch the shows, you must stream it every single time, adding to your download usage (not good when it's limited) and it can only be streamed when you have a fast, solid, and stable internet connection. My review of Steam's video content service: Terrible.

Buy it on iTunes or another service such as Google Play and you can either stream it or download the files to your device to play again and again without streaming. This is a much better service to the end user. Having used both of these pay-to-own services (and some others, such as UltraViolet), I can say that of all of these, iTunes works the best (but is not without its flaws).

Alternatively, there's the DVD and BluRay releases, but you lose the ability to stream your purchased version (vs iTunes, etc) and must have the physical copies (of course, you can always still stream the free versions). In some ways this is the better option, in others not. The DVD and BluRay releases are not region locked.

I didn't know you could get popular content DRM-free these day through any pay service.
    You can't, which is why I don't buy from any of them and don't personally recommend them (movies I own on them have all been bonus digital copy with physical release or other free movie offers). If I was forced to recommend the best of the bunch, despite not recommending anyone in the bunch, it would be iTunes.

---

Spoiler: Chibisode 10
    Show
    Oh Jaune, oh Pyrrha, oh Ren and Nora.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Hello thread, long time no see. I find your lack of discussion on the Volume Four (rough cut) trailer disturbing.

Spoiler: Volume 4 (Rough) Trailer
    Show
    Link (RTX leak, will unlink if that's a problem). {Link removed}

Three things stand out to me:

1. The animation and effects (particularly the lighting and shadows) are noticeably different; word is they switched from Poser to Maya.

2. The fight choreography and cinematography seem really... off to me in a way I can't quite place. Don't know if that's related to the above or just a product of the trailer being unfinished.

3. Ruby has clearly been training under a certain other eyeball-powered speedster:

I am okay with this.
    Last edited by Rawhide; 2016-07-11 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Link removed
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Chibisode 10: Finally vindicated
    Show
    R+N indeed! Nora is carrying a torch, Boop is her love song, and the "notice me" sign is for one particular other person.

Also, does that two iPhone thing actually work? I'm interested.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

How is everyone able to watch Chibisode 10?

I'm a free (unpaid) member of the RT site and it's still coming up with the whole "Get your free trial" thing... Is there something I'm missing? Or is the whole "you get the new content 1 day after sponsers" thing only for the FIRST members?
    Last edited by Malak'ai; 2016-07-09 at 08:41 PM.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malak'ai View Post

I'm a free (unpaid) member of the RT site and it's still coming up with the whole "Get your free trial" thing... Is there something I'm missing? Or is the whole "you get the new content 1 day after sponsers" thing only for the FIRST members?
    I believe you can still get that free trial if you just create an account.

15. - Top - End - #15

Spoiler: Chibisode 10: Finally vindicated
    Show
    Also, does that two iPhone thing actually work? I'm interested.
    Show
    Work in what way?

I believe you can still get that free trial if you just create an account.
    Chibisode 10 is currently only available to paid members for... *checks* almost half a day still. If you want to watch it right now, you need to be a paid member or have a free trial. If you wait half a day, you can watch it for free as long as you are a free member.

Note: That message is slightly misleading as it hasn't been updated. People without a free membership do have to wait a full week, but having a free membership reduces that to 1 day (it's just that the 1 day hasn't passed yet).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Work in what way?

Chibisode 10 is currently only available to paid members for... *checks* almost half a day still. If you want to watch it right now, you need to be a paid member or have a free trial. If you wait half a day, you can watch it for free as long as you are a free member.

Note: That message is slightly misleading as it hasn't been updated. People without a free membership do have to wait a full week, but having a free membership reduces that to 1 day (it's just that the 1 day hasn't passed yet).
    Derp... I got my dates wrong... I forgot it get released on Saturday morning, not Friday... Damn international time differences... .

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: RWBY Chibi Episode 10
    Show
    Oh the irony. If Ren only knew how fitting his observation is.
    And Zombie-Pyrrha is still great.

Ruby's painting is the best. The best way to mess with Weiss.

And Nora marks her territory. Very subtle and sneaky-like.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Two things

Show
    I mean can you actually do work on two iPhones, it looks like the sort of craziness our heiress did just to tune out Juane

Spoiler: Season 4 trailer
    Show
    i'll eat these words if Zodi doesn't say this one's awesome.

I think the only thing the RWBY critics with us will gripe about is how it was spoiled by reminding us towards the end that it was still RWBY...Ruby exchanged a few words with JNR.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2016-07-10 at 09:32 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: S4 Trailer
    Show
    I watched the Season 4 trailer muted. It just looked like a rehash of the Red trailer.

I'll try sitting through any monologue or dialogue when it's officially released on the site.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

20. - Top - End - #20

Two things

Show
    I mean can you actually do work on two iPhones, it looks like the sort of craziness our heiress did just to tune out Juane

Spoiler: Season 4 trailer
    Show
    i'll eat these words if Zodi doesn't say this one's awesome.

I think the only thing the RWBY critics with us will gripe about is how it was spoiled by reminding us towards the end that it was still RWBY...Ruby exchanged a few words with JNR.
    Spoiler: RWBY Volume 4 teaser trailer
    Show
    I'll cook it up nice for you since I'm a good chef

The trailer was bad. The choreography was weaker than it's ever been, and while the GRAPHICS have improved to a degree, and sooome of the effects some of the time, have improved the actual fight animation continues to be as good as or worse as it's always been. Someow the game continues to have very slightly better graphical effects on attack swings, and there continues to be basically no feeling of impact, even when Ruby's scythe literally stops dead in the darkness meat of the giant gorilla grimm. For the most part it just wasn't that exciting. Maybe it'll come off better when it's not gotten off a recording.

One thing I do REALLY want to point out, that is far more indicative of the perceptive quality of this trailer. This is at RTX, with the die-hardiest of the diehard fanboys. Watch their reactions to the trailer. There are four or five moments in the trailer where they should be going nuts...but nothing. They do not react. At all.

I have a feeling RWBY is on it's last legs guys. The potential is there, clearer than ever, but RT can't fulfill it, and even the die hard fans are decidedly unhyped.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: S4 trailer
    Show
    Selling post-Monty RWBY on animation quality seems like a mistake, because RWBY fans are more likely to idolize Monty and compare everything unfavorably to Monty's work. Doubly so when the trailer invites the comparison. On the other hand, if the point is to reassure people that the animation won't suck just because they're moving to Maya or whatever, that's not a terrible goal. Even so, I think the selling points are the stakes, the scope, and the characters, none of which really got much of anything from the trailer. Therefore: trailer ideation, D; trailer execution, B; anticipation of the next season, pretty much unchanged, since the trailer doesn't tell me anything about the qualities I think will matter. Grades subject to change if additional trailers are released, since this trailer looks different as part of a package than as a standalone.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Show

The trailer was bad. The choreography was weaker than it's ever been, and while the GRAPHICS have improved to a degree, and sooome of the effects some of the time, have improved the actual fight animation continues to be as good as or worse as it's always been. Someow the game continues to have very slightly better graphical effects on attack swings, and there continues to be basically no feeling of impact, even when Ruby's scythe literally stops dead in the darkness meat of the giant gorilla grimm. For the most part it just wasn't that exciting. Maybe it'll come off better when it's not gotten off a recording.

One thing I do REALLY want to point out, that is far more indicative of the perceptive quality of this trailer. This is at RTX, with the die-hardiest of the diehard fanboys. Watch their reactions to the trailer. There are four or five moments in the trailer where they should be going nuts...but nothing. They do not react. At all.

I have a feeling RWBY is on it's last legs guys. The potential is there, clearer than ever, but RT can't fulfill it, and even the die hard fans are decidedly unhyped.
    Spoiler: V4 Trailer
    Show
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Hello thread, long time no see. I find your lack of discussion on the Volume Four (rough cut) trailer disturbing.
    Spoiler: The Trailer
    Show
    It looks to me like the artstyle's changed a bit, and I like it a liiitle bit more than I did the first two seasons. I also prefer Ruby's new costume, assuming that it's actually a new costume and not just a modification of her casual clothes. The music and sound design also seem to be a bit better than the S3 trailer.

That said, the trailer doesn't look very good to me. Shots linger, it looks like there's a few empty frames at the beginning and end of every animation, the camerawork is noticeably bad at points, and the choreography seems to have gotten slightly worse. And to mirror a comment Zodi's made a lot about Chibi, I think it would've been better if there hadn't bee any talking. The shots at the end of Weiss, Blake, and Yang also seemed a bit out of place, and it felt to me like they made the trailer drag out past when it should've ended. Not by a lot, but enough to make me notice it.

But yeah, definitely not something that would convince me to start watching again. TBH, it doesn't really make me feel anything. But who knows, maybe it'll be better when I'm not having to watch a cellphone recording of it.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    FWIW, the shots of WBY at the end are a mirror of the shadow-girls at the end of the Red trailer.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Show
    Selling post-Monty RWBY on animation quality seems like a mistake, because RWBY fans are more likely to idolize Monty and compare everything unfavorably to Monty's work. Doubly so when the trailer invites the comparison. On the other hand, if the point is to reassure people that the animation won't suck just because they're moving to Maya or whatever, that's not a terrible goal. Even so, I think the selling points are the stakes, the scope, and the characters, none of which really got much of anything from the trailer. Therefore: trailer ideation, D; trailer execution, B; anticipation of the next season, pretty much unchanged, since the trailer doesn't tell me anything about the qualities I think will matter. Grades subject to change if additional trailers are released, since this trailer looks different as part of a package than as a standalone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    Spoiler: The Trailer
    Show
    It looks to me like the artstyle's changed a bit, and I like it a liiitle bit more than I did the first two seasons. I also prefer Ruby's new costume, assuming that it's actually a new costume and not just a modification of her casual clothes. The music and sound design also seem to be a bit better than the S3 trailer.

That said, the trailer doesn't look very good to me. Shots linger, it looks like there's a few empty frames at the beginning and end of every animation, the camerawork is noticeably bad at points, and the choreography seems to have gotten slightly worse. And to mirror a comment Zodi's made a lot about Chibi, I think it would've been better if there hadn't bee any talking. The shots at the end of Weiss, Blake, and Yang also seemed a bit out of place, and it felt to me like they made the trailer drag out past when it should've ended. Not by a lot, but enough to make me notice it.

But yeah, definitely not something that would convince me to start watching again. TBH, it doesn't really make me feel anything. But who knows, maybe it'll be better when I'm not having to watch a cellphone recording of it.
    Spoiler: Volume 4 Trailer
    Show
    Another thing you have to remember (apart from it being a crappy cell rip of something that was supposed to be exclusive to the people who attended that panel at RTX) is that the trailer isn't actually finished yet. Both Kerri and Grey said they still had some touching up of some scenes and a few other things they had to do before it was ready to be properly released to the public.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler: Volume 4 Trailer
    Show
    Another thing you have to remember (apart from it being a crappy cell rip of something that was supposed to be exclusive to the people who attended that panel at RTX) is that the trailer isn't actually finished yet. Both Kerri and Grey said they still had some touching up of some scenes and a few other things they had to do before it was ready to be properly released to the public.
    Spoiler: Vol. 4 Trailer
    Show
    Well, a lot of the problems I have with it go beyond touchups or small fixes. Obviously this is based in personal opinion and my own very limited knowledge of animation, but fixing the stuff I'm not liking about the camera work would require reshooting and rerendering a significant amount of the trailer. The choppiness of the animation is probably also a significant amount of work to fix and replace, since basically every movement I saw had some blank space leading in and leading out. Though after some thought, that might also be a problem with the camerawork, rather than with the actual animation.

And correct me if I'm wrong about this, but didn't they say more or less the same thing about the fight they previewed at RTX last year? I know that it's pretty damn different circumstances, but a lot of the big issues I had with the fight were still present in the actual episode. Which doesn't exactly give me high hopes about them fixing the problems I have with this trailer between now and when it's actually released.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post

Spoiler: Volume 4 (Rough) Trailer
    Show
    Link (RTX leak, will unlink if that's a problem).
    I've watched this video once to determine, but I could not tell if this is a video Rooster Teeth allows or not. However, as it is likely to be one they don't, I have removed the link to be on the safe side.

Show

While everyone has followed the rules so far, here is a little reminder: Discussion of any leaked information remains a spoiler until a full week after it's official release.

Well, I guess you see what you want to see. I was especially careful to gauge the audience reaction and I saw not a single sign of boredom or lack of interest. There was no slouching or slumping in their chairs, no fidgeting, no looking away, no looking around, no yawning, no rocking. Every single person was fixated on the screen in front of them.

What I saw were people who were very intent in what they saw, absorbing every bit of information they possibly could, and were respectful of not ruining the experience for others. They started cheering when the mood of intense fixation was broken as a natural consequence of cutting away to the other characters, exactly as you expect they might, and got louder when they knew it was over and wouldn't disturb everyone else.

28. - Top - End - #28

What I saw were people who were very intent in what they saw, absorbing every bit of information they possibly could, and were respectful of not ruining the experience for others. They started cheering when the mood of intense fixation was broken as a natural consequence of cutting away to the other characters, exactly as you expect they might, and got louder when they knew it was over and wouldn't disturb everyone else.
    Well, we're each going to read the situation different, but maybe it's just me but even if they ARE intent and into it,t he fact that they don't don't cheer when certain things happen, or gasp when other things happen, will look like bad optics if nothing else.

Basically, it's weird to me that fans, especially RT fans, would wait respectfully until the end to react AT ALL. Even Steven Universe fans go crazy watching promo clips at Comiccon and stuff.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, we're each going to read the situation different, but maybe it's just me but even if they ARE intent and into it,t he fact that they don't don't cheer when certain things happen, or gasp when other things happen, will look like bad optics if nothing else.

Basically, it's weird to me that fans, especially RT fans, would wait respectfully until the end to react AT ALL. Even Steven Universe fans go crazy watching promo clips at Comiccon and stuff.
    Show
    This wasn't a trailer built on hype moments. If you look at hype trailers, you can trace the beats that build each hype moment and call the applause before it even happens. Not all trailers can or should be like that. In this case, we're clearly doing a Red trailer homage, so there isn't the same sort of reveal hype, because the audience is already familiar with the beats of the trailer. The goal is different. I don't necessarily agree with the choice, for reasons I mentioned earlier, but you're judging a fish on tree-climbing ability here.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Show
    This wasn't a trailer built on hype moments. If you look at hype trailers, you can trace the beats that build each hype moment and call the applause before it even happens. Not all trailers can or should be like that. In this case, we're clearly doing a Red trailer homage, so there isn't the same sort of reveal hype, because the audience is already familiar with the beats of the trailer. The goal is different. I don't necessarily agree with the choice, for reasons I mentioned earlier, but you're judging a fish on tree-climbing ability here.
    Spoiler: V4 Trailer
    Show
    Well I mean, if it where me, I might let out a gasp when Ruby's scythe can't hurt the Gorilla. That's really it. The part where she succeeds in killing said Gorilla too, you'd expect fans to start cheering. It just feels weird to me is all