New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 59 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY VIII: Well, THAT escalated quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Spoiler: Volume 4 OP
    Show
    If you look at the beginning of the opening, the ball the Grimm eats splits into RWBY-colored balls that go to various parts of the map. Hence my confidence that Blake is headed to Menagerie.

Who the heck knows where Mercury/Emerald ended up, assuming we ever see them again. The second-year students may or may not head off places.
    Spoiler: Vol 4 Character Locations and Vol 4 Opening
    Show

I must have missed learning about Menagerie in one of those world of remnant episodes. Can someone point me out which one I need to watch.

Oh also, here is a Vol 4 teaser clip Rooster Teeth released to youtube involving Ruby and her new team. In it they discuss what should the team be called and other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoR3FmI2hLo
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

2. - Top - End - #332
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Spoiler: Volume 4 OP
    Show
    Who the heck knows where Mercury/Emerald ended up, assuming we ever see them again. The second-year students may or may not head off places.
    Spoiler: Volume 4 Episode 1 (minor)
    Show
    We do.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Volume 4 Episode 1
    Show

So Cinder is now a gender swapped Zuko, and Tyrian (the guy who looks like greed) is a gender swapped Azula mixed with Envy for Azula was just not sadistic enough even when she was kinda crazy.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

4. - Top - End - #334

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Okay

I'll look at the episode later, assuming I have time between all the other things I have to do. I'll still write about the episodes, just not "at time" with you other people who watch illegally or pay money to Roosterteeth.
    I should hope no one is watching it illegally. If you don't want to be a paying member, please wait for it to be released legally. It's only one extra day.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    Spoiler: Volume 4, CH. 1
    Show
    Well, we can't be sure about all of them, since Blake and Yang don't even show up in the episode, and Weiss is only in it for like 5 seconds.
    Spoiler: Volume 4, Chapter 1
    Show
    True, but I mean of everything we have seen.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

5. - Top - End - #335
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

The character mentioned as possibly being Blake's brother looked like a girl to me. Was that just me?
    Last edited by CrazyPenguin; 2016-10-22 at 07:50 PM.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    The character mentioned as possibly being Blake's brother looked like a girl to me. Was that just me?
    It's a little hard to tell in the scene and, again, this is just feeding the "Blake is just a white Yoruichi from Bleach now" thing. She even has a brother that looks identical to her, up to even looking like a girl.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

Hm. drawing elements from Bleach? tch, doesn't give me much confidence- I only watched Bleach up to Seireitei arc and I never found it all that good. the powers there just aren't interesting, the combat actually seems kind of boring in Bleach, and I never got why Ichigo cared about anything...

while my look at the trailer......eeeeehh.....things happened too fast for me to catch small details. My impression is that the four protags are all split up and facing their own problems, vague evil....thats all. I'll watch the actual episode tomorrow to figure out whats happening.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #338

Spoiler: Volume 4, Chapter 1
    Show
    I will be very surprised if LaZodiac doesn't complain heavily about the Nora shading glitch.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

So remind me how the release schedule works now? Like, when's the soonest I can watch it without paying?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

10. - Top - End - #340

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    So remind me how the release schedule works now? Like, when's the soonest I can watch it without paying?
    Tomorrow, apparently. I'll probably have to take a knee on watching it till Tuesday because of work.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: v4e1 thoughts
    Show
    1. This music at the start reminds me of Game of Thrones.

2. Grimm are made from black sludge? Okay, then. I guess we'll find out why they're made from black sludge later. Or maybe this isn't the only way Grimm are made.

3. The reflections don't seem to be out of the ordinary. Except...is that an intact moon reflected in the sludge? Mirror-world shenanigans incoming?

4. Emerald and Mercury...didn't know what they signed up for, I guess.

5. They still get internet out here? O.o

6. "Nersius"? Did I hear Dr. Moustache right, was that another name? Or was that just "Yes, yes"?

7. Tyrian's a straightforward nutjob so far. Since we're all picking FMA characters, I'd say he's Kimblee, specifically '03 anime Kimblee.

8. Why did Cinder even try speaking to Watt when she knows she can't? Well, call it the denial phase. I think it's an interesting handicap. Jessica Nigri may find it rather boring, though.

9. I see a spade and a diamond hanging off Salem's hair. Add suits to the symbol lookout--or am I way late on that one?

10. 'Malignance' was pulled out of someone's thesaurus. Maybe it's meant to sound archaic (though 'malignance' wasn't all that much more popular historically). But Salem sounds like she's having an Internet argument more than anything else.

11. Their team name's a bit of a SWTCH-up of the usual pattern. Or maybe we're weighing WTCHes against geese.

12. Namedrop: Sienna Khan. Oooooookay. Also, in a turn of events surprising no one, there's an informant in Mistral.

13. My complaint is the opposite of LaZodiac's: it's been five minutes and I'm already sick of Tyrian.

14. Who's this kid? (Some future stock hero farmboy, apparently. In California's Central Valley, no less, considering the Sierras over in the distance.) Is somebody having dream visions? Actually scratch that, he's obviously having dream visions. What does it mean that he's having dream visions?

15. Ren's objection is that "Junior" isn't a color, but strictly speaking, "Ranger" isn't a color either, even if it is meant to evoke ranger green. Also, what's keeping Nora from accepting a compromise where the first R in RNJR belongs to Ren? (Who would defer to Ruby on everything, of course.)

16. You don't actually need the "pebble vibration" cliche when the ground is shaking that clearly already.

17. What about this spot made it any better than any other spot to fight the Grimm-gheist? (EDIT: I guess the gheist was in town and Ruby was drawing it out of town or something. Shades of ATLA.)

18. Every time I see Ren fight I want to know what happened to his Aura palm ability. That was pretty cool.

19. What made Ruby think lightning bullets would be useful?

20. The fight choreographers have a surprisingly poor sense of place. Characters are being teleported around the fight for convenience.

21. Jaune still isn't much of a strategist.

22. Of course, this fight didn't require much in the way of strategy. It wasn't even "hit the obvious weak point for massive damage," just "hit it hard enough to OHKO."

23. I thought we weren't supposed to get to the Orient until we, y'know, got east?

24. Oh hey, this RPG village has the standard upgrade shop.

25. RWBY is trapped by its execution, man. Like, there's an emotional moment with Jaune's armor where there should be, but there isn't anything all that emotional about Jaune's armor. It's not even the family heirloom. Then there's some humor to lighten the mood where there should be, but Jaune's hoodie just isn't all that funny.

26. Ruby laughing is cute enough to forgive everything, though. Also, the bit with the metal is way better than the bit with the armor.

27. Of course, Jaune doesn't have any weapon discipline. He nearly cuts Ren just by turning around.

28. Also, does Jaune's sheath/shield just teleport between his forearm and his hip?

29. What is Ruby doing with her hands in her last scene? IDGI. She doesn't have backpack straps to hold, and that's just a really awkward pose.

30. They're headed in the farmboy's direction, probably. Can't think what else he's here for.

31. 5 Seconds of Schnee.

Ah, there it is, that familiar mix of fascination and frustration. Welcome back, RWBY.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2016-10-23 at 10:57 AM.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Volume 4, Ep. 1 Review
    Show
    Well the music is definitely more uplifting than Vol. 3's. So probably not a villain song then. Speaking of villains...

I'm not sure this 'revelation' is a revelation. We already know that Grimm can be 'called' via black sludge ala the Grimm Wyrm and this oooks to be more of the same...except the pools don't disappear once a Grimm spawns so...dunno, I don't think this all there is to how the Grimm are.

Didn't notice the moon that Leth did, not when there were the reactions of Mercury amd Emerald to the Grimm spawning. So this WASN'T what Cinder showed Emerald back in Beginning of the End? Interesting.

Okay, new Villain thoughts...I don't think we've seen all of the Salem conspiracy, they've got two empty chairs one of which might go to Sienna Khan.

-Dr. Watts (...Watson? Is there a Sherlock) is a bit of a tool because he dislikes failure and is eay too busy on his Scroll...what the hell message is he getting out....whereever they are. I like to imagine its an actual patient. Not only is he a tool, seems to just dislike Cinder and enjoys nettling her in part because she can't respond....LaZodiac, did you make it into the show?

-Hazel is a bit of a mystery, he's quiet, inscrutable, and gives the implication that this group are all bad news that can mess people up. Other than that, we might see him with Adam but that's about it.

-...kay, I was a bit off with how I thought Tyrian would be. He is quite literally giggling mad and seems very excited at the prospect of killing a fifteen year old girl...and unhappy about not killing her until he seems to realize that doesn't mean he can't maim her...in revenge for Cinder? These characters can be a bit touch or go for me, either thwy're executed well and come off as actually menacing or their annoying to me. Can't say which Tyrian is yet.

-Cinder...interesting developments on that front. Watts at least dislikes the remnants of CRME. Cinder got messed up by Ruby and Salem isn't letting her out to play again until (at the very least) she's recovered. Haha, Cinder's been grounded! Guess that means we'll get peeks of the villains through Cinder. Makes sense.

-Salem...I was a little surprised. I mean there's definitely an evil queen vibe going on there, to be expected, but she's a lot more...leadery than expected. Chides her group like a disappointed parent when they take shots at one another but respectfully hears out their grievances and provides counterpoints. Not quite as ruthless as expected. Also wants to hunt down the Spring maiden...but why?

So Adam ISN'T the leader of the White Fang, knew it, but he's loyal to Salem's gang and it sounds like Sienna Khan might not be...whydo I think the latter might be offed to put the former in power? Also seems like we might see more of Hazel via Blake's story.

Odd transition that shows a little bit about how life is outside the Kingdoms, but other than that..feels like this kid is important when he most likely isn't...or maybe regular TV has conditioned me too much to associate a unique design with importance when a lot of background characters in Rwby look unique.

Okay, time for a new type of Grimm and the first fight of the new Volume! Team RNJR (no Nora, you are not Team JNRR...just...no) is luring a Geist to an ambush to destroy it for a village.

The Geist? I dig it! A 'ghost' that animates a body out of the surroundings to kill, way different from the other Grimm we've seen and I'd like to see more of them in the future. Its interesting to see an enemy they have to cause enough damage (or spook) to prompt the actual enemy to make a break for it. First time a Grimm has fled from humans that I can remember...can it just not hurt people in its natural state? I want to see a Geist fight people in a city, would be a chance for cool imagery like incorporating statuary and building flourishes into a golem-like body, that'd be cool. A Grimm also had the presence of mind to protect its weakpoint, not just 'defend' but actively block...the symbol that showed up also interests me...do Schnee glyphs and hereditary Semblance have aomething to do with the Grimm? There's been a few hints that the Schnee, or at least Dust, has something to do with the Grimm...

Team RNJR? Their teamwork needs work and Ruby does kind of stick out as not quite fitting into the former JNPR but that comes with time. They all pretty much acknowledge that Jaune is the team strategist and while he's still no Sun Tzu, he does come up with a plan to bring down the Geist that works. Nora's hammer produces its own electricity now. Ruby learned how to carry people with her Semblance but still feels like she's trying to prove herself...probably cause she's with a new team. Ren wasn't useless! ...and it wasn't until this fight that I noticed that Ren goes for the eyes a lot...like I think the only fight he hasn't was against the Deathstalker, where he went for its stinger. Definitely a guy that targets weakpoints but mostly happy that Ren made it through a fight without being ragdoll'd!

I agree and disagree with Leth on the armor scene...yeah the armor bit wasn't very emotional but it was a set-up for the new design of Jaune's sword and shield...primarily how Pyrrha's crown is incorporated into the design...and likely her shield as well since I suspect that's where he got the metal from. Its a sweet moment that shows Pyrrha always looking out for Jaune now. It was a little jarring how serious Ren, Nora, and Jaune were being...just for Ruby to burst out laughing because of Jaune's hoody grated she quieted down once the actual weapon came out.

And...then we get the brief look at Weiss and the name of one of her butlers (...the cake butler?). Is this going to be a running trend? The episode ending with a cut to whom the next episode is going to primarily focus on?

Overall, I liked it, the inteoductions to the villains were effective as they conveyed a bit about the characters in short periods of time. Now on if you like those characters, that's a different matter. I enjoy all of them so far though Tyrian gives me pause. The fight was cool, don't know if it'd crack my top 5 RWBY fights but the Geist certainly competes for the top spot of favorite Grimm.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Okay, Thoughts
    Spoiler: S 4 E 1
    Show

So, I guess we're going to get The Status Quo for each of the characters. My guess is, we get two sets of characters each episode, with 10 minutes (The length of an earlier episode) being enough to establish the status quo.

This time around, we get Ruby and Cinder.

So, Ruby, and the remains of Team JNPR are wandering around fighting CR-Appropriate encounters, basically doing what they were trained to do: get paid money to fight monsters, on their way to one of the kingdoms. Last time I checked, it seemed that airship travel between the kingdoms was common, so why they're going overland isn't clear, but whatever.

We get a new fight scene. Rather than try to poorly ape Monty Ohm, they're working on a new style, which is plenty enjoyable, if far less distinctive. Ruby is basically just flying now, with Petal Dashing having replaced using Recoil to fling herself across the battlefield as the primary "Get from Point A to Point B".
    As much as I enjoy Jaune as the Comic Relief, I kind of wish they had either kept him as comic relief, or made his tactical assessment a little more impressive. If the idea is that he's the team's strategist who can contribute to the fight even without his weapon, it would have been nice if his plan had been deeper than "Hit it in the face". Especially because it was already established that Ruby was a competent strategist. This scene didn't give me a reason why they would establish Juane as the tactician, except that he contributes the least physically.

Also, speaking of presentation and pacing. Nora's "New Upgrade" is lightning hammer? Like, that's cool, but it got way too much buildup for what was essentially "Hit Things Harder".

Still, fight was fun, Geist-grimm was cool, Ruby can fly now.

Alright, now we meet Team Evil. Cinder suffers some consequences, which will be fun, and there's talk that the Summer Maiden powers come with a weakness. Maybe Silver-Eyes Magicks are specifically a counter to Maiden Powers? Who knows. Let's meet the team.
    Doctor Watts: He's a jerk, but in a standard "Intellectual Villain" way. I don't mind him.
    Big Guy: Did he even speak? I don't remember anything about him.
    Tyrion: Ugh, please, please die within three episodes. Hamming it up is fine, but this was creep-ham. As tired as the "Deranged Sadist" trope is, he was distinctly unpleasant to watch.
    Cinder: With how smug Cinder had been in the past, I like how vulnerable they have her here, back at "Home", and once again answering to somebody. All we saw of her before was smug and thoroughly in charge, so having her forced to speak through Emerald is an interesting contrast.
    Also, first mention that Adam is not the leader of the White Fang.
    Salem: I have a lot of respect for Salem. Having delegated being an ******* to Doctor Watts, being scenery-chewingly evil to Tyrion, and being Smug to Cinder, Salem is free to be a good leader, shooting down her underling's foibles with logical arguments, respecting what they have been through, and making logical decisions to further the end goal, whatever that may be. Cinder, despite unexpected setback, succeeded in her important goals (Destroying Beacon, becoming the summer maiden), and Salem isn't going to do the whole "You didn't win ENOUGH" dance. She's also not going to ignore the superweapon flying around out there.

Also, Ozpin is dead? Maybe?
    Farm Boy: What is he even doing here? Why did he get so much screentime?

Okay, back to our Heroes. Juane gets a new look, incorporating some of Pyrrah's gear/symbols in a nice symbolic gesture. Huzzah. Also, the blacksmith mentioned "All the features" so presumably he has a few more tricks than a scabbard that is also a shield. Also, we get a sense of life outside the kingdoms. Small towns relying on passing schoolchildren to fight monsters, which is kind of odd, considering that what we saw of "Outside the Walls" Before was total grimm-territory, with the implication that the kingdom couldn't even try to push outwards without getting swarmed by Grimm. That said, it makes sense, if Grimm are drawn to negative emotion, then a low population density might keep people safe, with most Grimm hovering right outside Kingdom walls, drawn in by the hotbed of negative emotions in cities. Meanwhile, in the countryside you have a handful of wandering Grimm, who need to get pretty close (or have a village get really angry) before they attack.
    So, In the Kingdoms is safest, followed by well outside the kingdoms, with each kingdom being surrounded by a Danger Donut of swarming Grimm.

we close the episode on Weiss, looking fancy back home. Presumably, we will see what she is up to next time.

Of the four RWBY members, Weiss and Blake will need the most screentime to set up their status quo, since they have a whole new cast to introduce. Yang needs the least, since it's just her and her/ruby's dad, and we already have a good sense of what she's going through.

I'm tempted to say next episode will be Weiss and Yang, with Blake taking up the lion's share of Episode 3.

Episode 4 introduces the ghosts of Pyrrah, Penny, and Roman, teaming up with random farmboy, whose name is Egon, and whose semblance lets him summon the ghosts of beloved characters so they can stay in the show. They will form Team PEPR (Pepper).

Then, with six separate plots to follow, the show will go full-on Game of Thrones and not actually have time to advance anything all season.
    Except kill of Tyrian, because he's painful to watch and I hope he dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

14. - Top - End - #344

So I was gonna saddle up and watch the episode but their site is just broken for me. Every page is an error page that just says "couldn't find page. That's not good."

I'm glad to see that they're afraid of me. Anyway based on what little I've read the impressions of this episode (wanna stay fresh) here is my stupid bat**** series for the season, because I've noticed I always come up with those, intentionally or not.

Spoiler: RWBY V4C1
    Show
    Cinder isn't Cinder. Cinder is Neo in disguise.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So I was gonna saddle up and watch the episode but their site is just broken for me. Every page is an error page that just says "couldn't find page. That's not good."

I'm glad to see that they're afraid of me. Anyway based on what little I've read the impressions of this episode (wanna stay fresh) here is my stupid bat**** series for the season, because I've noticed I always come up with those, intentionally or not.

Spoiler: RWBY V4C1
    Show
    Cinder isn't Cinder. Cinder is Neo in disguise.
    *At Rooster Teeth's Secret Lair under Texas*

RT Goon: Grand Lord Luna Sir!

Miles Luna: What is it?

RT Goon: We've identified known dissident "LaZodiac" attempting to access the site.

Miles Luna: I know that one.

RT Goon: Over a dozen counts of Writing Mean Things On The Internet.

Miles Luna: Very Well. UNLEASH THE HOUNDS!

RT Goon: The Hounds are still out after the last time you unleashed them.

Miles Luna: That was days ago?

RT Goon: Yeah, we're in texas. You sent them, by foot, to portland. Not to question your wisdom, oh great one, but...

Miles Luna: Fine, bring down the site, and get me some faster hounds!
    Last edited by BRC; 2016-10-24 at 01:31 PM.
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

16. - Top - End - #346

That is a wonderful post but the thing I must focus on is..."Miles Luna"?

Get out of here with this nonsense who's named this in real life? Sorry but this is like, Coltin Burpo level "why have you not dealt with this hilarious name?"

I mean no offense by this, I just find it hilarious a name. Not like I'm one to talk, I've got a Mc in my last name.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2016-10-24 at 01:54 PM.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Okay, Thoughts
    Show
    Okay, back to our Heroes. Juane gets a new look, incorporating some of Pyrrah's gear/symbols in a nice symbolic gesture. Huzzah. Also, the blacksmith mentioned "All the features" so presumably he has a few more tricks than a scabbard that is also a shield. Also, we get a sense of life outside the kingdoms. Small towns relying on passing schoolchildren to fight monsters, which is kind of odd, considering that what we saw of "Outside the Walls" Before was total grimm-territory, with the implication that the kingdom couldn't even try to push outwards without getting swarmed by Grimm. That said, it makes sense, if Grimm are drawn to negative emotion, then a low population density might keep people safe, with most Grimm hovering right outside Kingdom walls, drawn in by the hotbed of negative emotions in cities. Meanwhile, in the countryside you have a handful of wandering Grimm, who need to get pretty close (or have a village get really angry) before they attack.
    So, In the Kingdoms is safest, followed by well outside the kingdoms, with each kingdom being surrounded by a Danger Donut of swarming Grimm.

[...]

Episode 4 introduces the ghosts of Pyrrah, Penny, and Roman, teaming up with random farmboy, whose name is Egon, and whose semblance lets him summon the ghosts of beloved characters so they can stay in the show. They will form Team PEPR (Pepper).

Then, with six separate plots to follow, the show will go full-on Game of Thrones and not actually have time to advance anything all season.
    Except kill of Tyrian, because he's painful to watch and I hope he dies.
    Spoiler: v4e1
    Show
    I like the Danger Donut model, because one should always respect the power of donuts.

It's interesting to consider how power, in this series, basically confers the luxury to indulge in negativity. At the social level, this plays out with rural communities being positive or being dead, and cities having enough collective power to shelter a certain amount of badthought. Talk about putting a disturbing spin on the usual fantasy lionization of idyllic rural life; the rural life that wasn't idyllic got wiped out.

But then, even this very nice-seeming village had to deal with the Grimm-geist for weeks. (How was there anything left after weeks of that thing?) So virtue is not enough to escape the darkness.

At the personal level, I can only think of two examples so far: Qrow, who gets away with being a bitter, irreverent cynic because he's strong; and Roman, who could only afford to play discount Joker so long as there was a city to protect him.

-

Last point: there is no way a show that goes full-on Game of Thrones will ever kill Tyrian.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2016-10-24 at 02:11 PM.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Show
    I like the Danger Donut model, because one should always respect the power of donuts.

It's interesting to consider how power, in this series, basically confers the luxury to indulge in negativity. At the social level, this plays out with rural communities being positive or being dead, and cities having enough collective power to shelter a certain amount of badthought. Talk about putting a disturbing spin on the usual fantasy lionization of idyllic rural life; the rural life that wasn't idyllic got wiped out.

But then, even this very nice-seeming village had to deal with the Grimm-geist for weeks. (How was there anything left after weeks of that thing?) So virtue is not enough to escape the darkness.

At the personal level, I can only think of two examples so far: Qrow, who gets away with being a bitter, irreverent cynic because he's strong; and Roman, who could only afford to play discount Joker so long as there was a city to protect him.

-

Last point: there is no way a show that goes full-on Game of Thrones will ever kill Tyrian.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, that's assuming that the village is defenseless. They may have some fighters there. They have the standard-RPG blacksmith capable of whipping up huntsman-grade weapons and armor after all.
    They may have some guards, not enough to actually defeat the thing, just enough to drive it off.

[/Center]

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Well, that's assuming that the village is defenseless. They may have some fighters there. They have the standard-RPG blacksmith capable of whipping up huntsman-grade weapons and armor after all.
    They may have some guards, not enough to actually defeat the thing, just enough to drive it off.

Show
    True, and it would also depend on how often the geist attacked during those weeks. I guess I just have difficulty imagining what would be enough to drive it off without defeating it.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, Thoughts
    Show
    Last time I checked, it seemed that airship travel between the kingdoms was common, so why they're going overland isn't clear, but whatever.
    Is it? I was under the impression that travel between the kingdoms was actually pretty difficult right now because of a comment that Ozpin made to Ironwood...let alone that airship travel was common. I figured it was a privilege of the military and academies, not so much for the common civilian or village.

For the record, the comment in question was along the lines of 'Hey James, I know travel between kingdoms is hard right now, but did you have to bring a fleet with you?'
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Is it? I was under the impression that travel between the kingdoms was actually pretty difficult right now because of a comment that Ozpin made to Ironwood...let alone that airship travel was common. I figured it was a privilege of the military and academies, not so much for the common civilian or village.

For the record, the comment in question was along the lines of 'Hey James, I know travel between kingdoms is hard right now, but did you have to bring a fleet with you?'
    It seemed that there was regular trade between the Kingdoms. Schnee Dust Company, at the very least, is able to have a global reach despite being based in Atlas. You can't really do that without regular commercial travel between the kingdoms.

So even if it isn't common, it was possible. I guess it's possible that Schnee airships are the only commercial airships,and they only carry cargo, so there is no passenger service? That doesn't make a lot of sense (Normally, if there is shipping, there are passengers as well, even if tickets are expensive) but Remnant has less-logical features we're not complaining about.
    [/Center]

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ettin in the Playground

It seemed that there was regular trade between the Kingdoms. Schnee Dust Company, at the very least, is able to have a global reach despite being based in Atlas. You can't really do that without regular commercial travel between the kingdoms.

So even if it isn't common, it was possible. I guess it's possible that Schnee airships are the only commercial airships,and they only carry cargo, so there is no passenger service? That doesn't make a lot of sense (Normally, if there is shipping, there are passengers as well, even if tickets are expensive) but Remnant has less-logical features we're not complaining about.
    Yeah, but we've only seen the Schnee Dust Company use trains or freighters, not airships aside from Papa Schnee's one that he took Weiss home in. There is definitely regular trade, especially between the Kingdoms but it doesn't seem to be via airship.

The biggest airships that, I think, we've seen are Ironwood's battleships and the big...well...flying buses used to get up to the Vytal Festival arena. The latter are....very slow, not sure we've seen an airship fast enough to be worth cross continent travel (what with Nevermores and Gryphons out there) that is also big enough to carry enough cargo to make it worth it. The gunships, maybe, if it was something like Dust but we haven't seen any non-criminal/non-military versions of those.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2016-10-24 at 02:40 PM.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yeah, but we've only seen the Schnee Dust Company use trains or freighters, not airships aside from Papa Schnee's one that he took Weiss home in. There is definitely regular trade, especially between the Kingdoms but it doesn't seem to be via airship.

The biggest airships that, I think, we've seen are Ironwood's battleships and the big...well...flying buses used to get up to the Vytal Festival arena. The latter are....very slow, not sure we've seen an airship fast enough to be worth cross continent travel (what with Nevermores and Gryphons out there) that is also big enough to carry enough cargo to make it worth it. The gunships, maybe, if it was something like Dust but we haven't seen any non-criminal/non-military versions of those.
    Huh,I could swear that Roman was heisting an airship/ that I saw somewhere that ocean travel doesn't happen due to Kaiju Grimm, or something.

I might be making things up.

Although, if Ocean travel is safe enough for valuable cargo (Dust), why not take Passengers?

Potentially because Passengers mean Badfeels, which could attract the aformentioned Kaiju Grimm. So the only people allowed on boats are small crews of sailors with noted sunny dispositions and emotional stability.
    [/Center]

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

The comment is specifically that travel between kingdoms had become "increasingly difficult" (v2e2), suggesting that the difficulty was circumstantial rather than technological. The sheer number and variety of air vehicles we've seen would make the latter concern unlikely in any event. If Ruby and company are counting on the next village over to have airship travel, it can't be that uncommon.

I suspect RNJR's present difficulties have two sources. First, the major local destination for intercontinental traffic was probably the city of Vale, and what with Beacon falling and the frozen Grimm dragon constantly attracting Grimm to the city, that traffic would have to reroute to other cities in the kingdom, if it happened at all. Second, the CCT tower falling did a number on intercontinental communications, which are pretty important for intercontinental travel. It may or may not have also screwed up Vale's local air traffic control protocols (Atlas seems to have avoided this, but they are the high-tech kingdom).

25. - Top - End - #355
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

no real comments on the story but...

Spoiler: outfits and quality
    Show
    i dig the new outfits all the kids are wearing these days. All but nora look like they got an update. Using phyrra's old gear for Jaune is nice, but why not incorporate the gun? give the poor guy some ranged use... but the best gesture is Jaune using the hip scarf sash thing. nice remembrance to his late gf.

and overall i like seeing the animation quality improve every season. sure i bet people have enough to complain about, but you cannot deny Roosterteeth improving on themself more and more. Except for facial expressions, those are still very silly looking most of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

Danger Donut
    I like these words and shall attempt to use them as much as possible.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

27. - Top - End - #357

Spoiler: S4E1
    Show
    So, we see that Cinder has lost an eye and her voice, and Salem is leading a group of villains, who all seem pretty interesting. (one of them is based of Dr. Watson!)
    Then we cut to some random guy at a farm. Is he a new character?

Then team (name pending) fighting an earth elemental grim. Or rather a grim that can possess objects. Jaune gets to show off his stragegy, which is basically goku's strategy.

Then back to the city, to turn in the quest, buy some new equipment, and go off to the next town. How very RPG like.

Then a Weiss cliffhanger.

Thoughts:
    Decent so far. New costumes are okay. Not much to go on for the heroes sadly. New theme song is good.

Also, minor quibbles. The whole intercontinental transmit system seems like a really stupid design. This is basically the internet right? Because the whole, if one part goes down, everything goes down sounds like an absolutely terrible design that the internet was designed to avoid. Especially considering the world they live in.
    And on that note, why aren't all settlements walled? They live in a world where grim attacks are common. You'd think they would be on war footing at all times.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

28. - Top - End - #358

Flumph

That is a wonderful post but the thing I must focus on is..."Miles Luna"?

Get out of here with this nonsense who's named this in real life? Sorry but this is like, Coltin Burpo level "why have you not dealt with this hilarious name?"

I mean no offense by this, I just find it hilarious a name. Not like I'm one to talk, I've got a Mc in my last name.
    RT Goon: Grand Lord Luna! Now she's making fun of your name!

Miles Luna: That fiend! UNLEASH THE HOUNDS!

RT Goon: I think The Hounds might still be somewhere in California, oh great one.

Miles Luna: Curses! SOMEONE GET ME FASTER HOUNDS!

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh,I could swear that Roman was heisting an airship/ that I saw somewhere that ocean travel doesn't happen due to Kaiju Grimm, or something.

I might be making things up.

Although, if Ocean travel is safe enough for valuable cargo (Dust), why not take Passengers?

Potentially because Passengers mean Badfeels, which could attract the aformentioned Kaiju Grimm. So the only people allowed on boats are small crews of sailors with noted sunny dispositions and emotional stability.
    We know that the shallow oceans around Vale stop serious threats from being able to come by sea...is...that what you mean by the kaiju Grimm thing? Cause you aren't making that up, that is a thing that happened. And Roman has those small VTOLs they use for robberies..I don't remember him stealing any airships though there was Ironwood's ship I guess?

Show

The comment is specifically that travel between kingdoms had become "increasingly difficult" (v2e2), suggesting that the difficulty was circumstantial rather than technological. The sheer number and variety of air vehicles we've seen would make the latter concern unlikely in any event. If Ruby and company are counting on the next village over to have airship travel, it can't be that uncommon.

I suspect RNJR's present difficulties have two sources. First, the major local destination for intercontinental traffic was probably the city of Vale, and what with Beacon falling and the frozen Grimm dragon constantly attracting Grimm to the city, that traffic would have to reroute to other cities in the kingdom, if it happened at all. Second, the CCT tower falling did a number on intercontinental communications, which are pretty important for intercontinental travel. It may or may not have also screwed up Vale's local air traffic control protocols (Atlas seems to have avoided this, but they are the high-tech kingdom).
    Spoiler: Vol. 4 Ep. 1Travel
    Show
    Its possible, but the problem is that we've never seen outside of a Kingdom before so we don't know if this technology is wide-spread. Whenever we have seen outside of a Kingdom though, the very few times we have, things are surprisingly rustic and people are depicted as traveling by horse and cart, rail (makes sense), and freighter (makes sense too, especially if they stick to shallow watter) rather than cars (makes sense, no wide spread road network). Cause my thing is, they sound hopeful the next village has an aircraft in but the blacksmith puts a sober 'if they still do' on it. Implies that not a lot of them do or they may be saved for emergencies. Agree on a lot of those though.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonexx View Post
    Spoiler: S4E1
    Show
    Also, minor quibbles. The whole intercontinental transmit system seems like a really stupid design. This is basically the internet right? Because the whole, if one part goes down, everything goes down sounds like an absolutely terrible design that the internet was designed to avoid. Especially considering the world they live in.
    Spoiler: Happened last season
    Show
    That's a minor quibble? It's completely and utterly stupid, there is no reason for it. This isn't even the ignorance of basic security protocol on the level of a few people that those medics handling Mercury had (even if it adds up to a lot if no medics ever follow those basic protocols), this is a critically important global system. It's almost like it was designed to be destroyed by a plucky team of rogue hackers.

Hey, maybe the conspiracy plot they seem to be setting up will work out after all. But... how did they still get everyone in the kingdoms to go "seems legit" when they explained how the system works.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting