New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 59 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY VIII: Well, THAT escalated quickly

Neat. I hope my work becomes liked enough for nerds to yell about personality classifications on the internet about it.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Honestly, personally, I'd like it if Cinders goals were purely selfish. She doesn't want to fix the world, just take what she wants and do what she wants without consequence, and so seeks the power to do just that. Then we could have some friction with Salem (do we know anything about her yet) who has actual plans for the world.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

3. - Top - End - #153

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonexx View Post
    Honestly, personally, I'd like it if Cinders goals were purely selfish. She doesn't want to fix the world, just take what she wants and do what she wants without consequence, and so seeks the power to do just that. Then we could have some friction with Salem (do we know anything about her yet) who has actual plans for the world.
    I don't mind if her goals are petty. Hell one could argue it'd be better writing if she did all this because of some stupid reason she personally cares about, basically using Salem as Salem uses her, and it'd be a nice contrast to Roman. You're just like him Cinder, but with zero of the charisma. I just want her motivations and goals to exist at all.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

While this doesn't count as foreshadowing, I do think there is a wonderful bit of fridge logic involved in Ruby having the silver eyes power.

After all, Ruby is based on the motif of Little Red Riding Hood, whose enemy was the big bad Wolf. Ruby seems to be mostly associated with the beowolf grimes as enemies...

And what does folklore cie as werewolf weakness? Silver.
    Like I say, doesn't replace foreshadowing, and the Silver Eyes power is stupidly convenient in hoe out of nowhere it came...but I do like that little tie-in.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show

Rise of the Runelords -Ely
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars - Jean/Saber

5. - Top - End - #155

You know what would have been good foreshadowing? In one of the episodes of season 1 (7 or 8 I think) Jaune goes into the cave where the deathstrike (scorpion) grim is. Before encountering it, we see some cave paintings on the wall of warriors fighting grim. One of those warriors could have had silver glowing eyes. It wouldn't spoil anything, but it would give some nice foreshadowing.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

6. - Top - End - #156

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonexx View Post
    You know what would have been good foreshadowing? In one of the episodes of season 1 (7 or 8 I think) Jaune goes into the cave where the deathstrike (scorpion) grim is. Before encountering it, we see some cave paintings on the wall of warriors fighting grim. One of those warriors could have had silver glowing eyes. It wouldn't spoil anything, but it would give some nice foreshadowing.
    Or some kind of weird mural of giant wings coming out of their face, because that's what happened. All foreshadowing ideas that would be actually okay.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Or some kind of weird mural of giant wings coming out of their face, because that's what happened. All foreshadowing ideas that would be actually okay.
    I do wish we had gotten more foreshadowing on the Silver Eyes...assuming that it is actually a thing. As is, we only had the comment from Ozpin in the first episode, the fact Ruby was garbage at fighting until Qrow (someone who recognized the Silver eyes as something her mother had and what it might mean) taught her, and the fact she is keeping up with most of her team-mates despite the fact she shouldn't be at Beacon yet. That last one could be ascribed to Ruby being naturally gifted, like Pyrrha, but even Pyrrha who we KNOW was a prodigy with many accolades to her name had to wait until she was old enough to attend Beacon.

...come to think of it, that last bit actually strikes me as more important now that I think about it. If Pyrrha, PYRRHA, had to wait before she could attend Beacon than Ruby being allowed in at her age was probably meant to be foreshadowing about the Silver Eyes. If it was meant as such, it was very subtle (arguably too subtle) but I wish there had been more that had been spaced out over all three volumes so there was a better pay-off to the reveal.

...for the record, I'm not entirely sure I buy Qrow's story about the Silver Eyes being a thing, cause Qrow (while a good guy) is a very shifty character that knows a lot more than he's letting on...and has no real reason to tell Ruby the truth but several to mislead her for her own good.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Firbolg in the Playground

How are you getting that the last two things you listed are evidence Ruby had access to a fourth, heretofore unknown supernatural ability? It seems like common sense to me that actually being taught how to fight with your weapon of choice would make you a lot better with it, even if you are a supposed to be a prodigy, and if I'm remembering correctly, the only requirement for getting in to Beacon is passing a combat test with no age limit. So it sorta stands to reason that anyone able to get into Beacon legitimately is going to have at least a certain level of skill with fighting. It has been quite a while since I watched the first episode, so I could be misremembering, but I could swear that was the only requirement.

Plus, skipping a grade is a pretty common way of showing how much more awesome someone is supposed to be than the rest of the cast. I'm sure there's other examples of it, but the only ones that come to mind are Doogie Howser and Chiyo from Azumanga.

And can you explain what you mean by "...for the record, I'm not entirely sure I buy Qrow's story about the Silver Eyes being a thing"? I'll admit that I haven't watched the third season myself, but if LaZodiac's comments are anything to go by, Ruby definitely has some sort of power that is released from her special eyes.
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2016-10-09 at 03:23 PM.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    I do wish we had gotten more foreshadowing on the Silver Eyes...assuming that it is actually a thing. As is, we only had the comment from Ozpin in the first episode, the fact Ruby was garbage at fighting until Qrow (someone who recognized the Silver eyes as something her mother had and what it might mean) taught her, and the fact she is keeping up with most of her team-mates despite the fact she shouldn't be at Beacon yet. That last one could be ascribed to Ruby being naturally gifted, like Pyrrha, but even Pyrrha who we KNOW was a prodigy with many accolades to her name had to wait until she was old enough to attend Beacon.
    Ruby's only a year ahead of schedule, and she was personally taught by the elite of the elite. The silver eyes played a role in Ozpin admitting her, but that's not a distinct piece of foreshadowing.

Personally, I think the most interesting thing about that whole scene is that Ozpin either didn't know about Ruby already or was putting on an act for her. And the most interesting thing about Ruby being garbage before training with Qrow is the implication that Taiyang didn't train her, which adds some layers to that Qrow-Taiyang interaction at the end of Volume 3.

Also, like DoctorFaust, I really don't see what about the story suggests Qrow could be lying about the silver-eyed warriors bit. It's not even developed enough to be a purposeful lie.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2016-10-09 at 05:23 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    How are you getting that the last two things you listed are evidence Ruby had access to a fourth, heretofore unknown supernatural ability? It seems like common sense to me that actually being taught how to fight with your weapon of choice would make you a lot better with it, even if you are a supposed to be a prodigy, and if I'm remembering correctly, the only requirement for getting in to Beacon is passing a combat test with no age limit. So it sorta stands to reason that anyone able to get into Beacon legitimately is going to have at least a certain level of skill with fighting. It has been quite a while since I watched the first episode, so I could be misremembering, but I could swear that was the only requirement.

Plus, skipping a grade is a pretty common way of showing how much more awesome someone is supposed to be than the rest of the cast. I'm sure there's other examples of it, but the only ones that come to mind are Doogie Howser and Chiyo from Azumanga.
    First, it wasn't that she wasn't being trained with her weapon of choice, she was learning how to fight at Signal too. But in her own words, she was garbage until her uncle taught her. So something that works for every other student coming out of Signal was not working for Ruby for...some reason, we don't know.

Lemme put it this way, for as good as Ruby is, she isn't more awesome than the rest of the cast...except for Jaune and CRDL. She's on par with a lot of them and weaker than some of the standouts (Yang, Pyrrha, and Penny to name a few). In other words, there isn't some standout reason why she was skipped ahead when we are first introduced to her cause Glynda sees her fight too and doesn't find her that special (or at least special enough to jump tplo Beacon). So if it wasn't something Ruby could do at the time, it would have to be on something Ozpin thought she could do in the future or something he knew/guessed about her due to things he knows.

Considering we don't really know what the Silver Eyes are supposed to DO (aside from freeze Grimm Wyrms) because all we have is the Grimm incident and Crow saying the silver eyed warriors are born warriors which would imply those with them are naturally gifted in aome manner. Its not proof or even definitive foreshadowing of the Silver Eyes, but it could have been meant as such.

And can you explain what you mean by "...for the record, I'm not entirely sure I buy Qrow's story about the Silver Eyes being a thing"? I'll admit that I haven't watched the third season myself, but if LaZodiac's comments are anything to go by, Ruby definitely has some sort of power that is released from her special eyes.
    Sure! What I mean is Ruby most certainly does have some special power from her eyes, but I don't buy Qrow's explanation for it because I don't trust Qrow to be honest with Ruby if it comes to his secret missions. Case and point, none of the main characters have yet to know about the Maidens still even if knowing would help RNGR in tracking down Cinder.

In other words, Ruby ahs some special power but I think its Maiden related and Qrow lied to keep that secret and possibly protect Ruby.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    .Personally, I think the most interesting thing about that whole scene is that Ozpin either didn't know about Ruby already or was putting on an act for her. And the most interesting thing about Ruby being garbage before training with Qrow is the implication that Taiyang didn't train her, which adds some layers to that Qrow-Taiyang interaction at the end of Volume 3.

Also, like DoctorFaust, I really don't see what about the story suggests Qrow could be lying about the silver-eyed warriors bit. It's not even developed enough to be a purposeful lie.
    Agreed on the Qrow-Taiyang front, that is also interesting...but those two aren't the only teachers at Signal....er...I hope anyway.

The story is fine for what it is...I don't trust Qrow on this because he...gives me a bad vibe. Not that he's secretly a villain or something, but that he's withholding a lot information and some of it pertains to Ruby I'm betting. There is SOMETHING going on with that man and it makes me doubt the silver eyed warrior story.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

11. - Top - End - #161
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Well we only have Ruby's word for it that she was 'garbage'. Significantly less effective would almost certainly be true, but that could mean only being able to take on 5 mooks, rather than 50. Being good at something usually means that you are aware of your mistakes, which means that the better you are the worse you think of your early performance. Her comments struck me as that sort of thing.
    I play dwarf mode: Play to win, never be sober, and always die horribly despite everyone's best efforts (DM included).

I have a blog now! I make no claims to be that fool on that hill, but I do like to think I think the same way. Check it out for some of my more nutty thoughts.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

First, it wasn't that she wasn't being trained with her weapon of choice, she was learning how to fight at Signal too. But in her own words, she was garbage until her uncle taught her. So something that works for every other student coming out of Signal was not working for Ruby for...some reason, we don't know.

Lemme put it this way, for as good as Ruby is, she isn't more awesome than the rest of the cast...except for Jaune and CRDL. She's on par with a lot of them and weaker than some of the standouts (Yang, Pyrrha, and Penny to name a few). In other words, there isn't some standout reason why she was skipped ahead when we are first introduced to her cause Glynda sees her fight too and doesn't find her that special (or at least special enough to jump tplo Beacon). So if it wasn't something Ruby could do at the time, it would have to be on something Ozpin thought she could do in the future or something he knew/guessed about her due to things he knows.
    That actually makes sense. She's a year younger and was skipped ahead to where she's on par with her peers. That's generally why you skip someone forward in the first place. So they can be challenged with appropriate work for someone of that skill level. If get skipped forward and you still aren't being challenged then you needed to be skipped even further ahead.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

13. - Top - End - #163

So, what, are you're saying you think that the characters spent all of their lives learning the same basic style of fighting, only to be turned lose to a world of radically customized weaponry and extremely varied fighting styles with all of the techniques transferring perfectly?

In other words, there isn't some standout reason why she was skipped ahead when we are first introduced to her cause Glynda sees her fight too and doesn't find her that special (or at least special enough to jump tplo Beacon). So if it wasn't something Ruby could do at the time, it would have to be on something Ozpin thought she could do in the future or something he knew/guessed about her due to things he knows.
    I'd just like to point out the lack of logic in this statement. You just said that she is as good as characters that got into the school on their own merits that are older than her. That is why she was admitted.

Sure! What I mean is Ruby most certainly does have some special power from her eyes, but I don't buy Qrow's explanation for it because I don't trust Qrow to be honest with Ruby if it comes to his secret missions. Case and point, none of the main characters have yet to know about the Maidens still even if knowing would help RNGR in tracking down Cinder.

In other words, Ruby ahs some special power but I think its Maiden related and Qrow lied to keep that secret and possibly protect Ruby.
    So why don't you trust Qrow? If I'm understanding the situation in the show correctly, we've seen nothing to indicate that he's lying about the special eyes. Maybe not telling the whole truth, but not outright lying about it or its source.
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2016-10-09 at 08:03 PM.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

14. - Top - End - #164

I was going to say, her skipping a grade isn't a sign that she has never mentioned before super eyeball wing powers, it just means she's generically super special awesome.

Anyway, to remind people who haven't watched it or who haven't watched in awhile, the Silver Eyes are literally gigantic wings spurting out of Ruby's eyeballs. Here is a link to her doing it in the series. Also here is a drawing by me of her doing it because I still think it's a good draw.

I hope you guys realize that the RWBY wiki is a ****ing tire fire and it took me FAR longer than it should of to find this picture. Protip: When you have nearly 7 or 8 images per character per episode in your gallery, it's not a gallery it's a very choppy slide show. ****ing nonsense.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

So, what, are you're saying you think that the characters spent all of their lives learning the same basic style of fighting, only to be turned lose to a world of radically customized weaponry and extremely varied fighting styles with all of the techniques transferring perfectly?

No, I mean that I imagine that students forge their weapons pretty early on at Signal and the teachers there are compotent enough to be able to mentor them to the point where they are roughly as talented as Weiss and Blake.

So why not Ruby? It just strikes me as strange.

I'd just like to point out the lack of logic in this statement. You just said that she is as good as characters that got into the school on their own merits that are older than her. That is why she was admitted.

Then why isn't Pyrrha with the second year students like Team Coffe? She clearly doesn't belong with the rest of the first year students, why no exception for her? That's why Ruby's situation is odd to me. If Pyrrha wasn't moved ahead, why was Ruby? The convenient answer would be because Pyrrha wouldn't have a team to be on if they did, but they probably could have figured out something.

So why don't you trust Qrow? If I'm understanding the situation in the show correctly, we've seen nothing to indicate that he's lying about the special eyes. Maybe not telling the whole truth, but not outright lying about it or its source.
    Most of my answers are in bold above, cause I'm replying from my phone, but this one I'll answer here.

I don't know.

I really don't, but he's setting off all kinds of flags in my head from little things like not telling Yang about her mom (y'know, one of the driving focuses of her life when he is otherwise a pretty good uncle) until he had to in order to give Yang a pick me up to the bigger things like his answer when Ruby asked him how he knew what Ozpin said to her when they first met (he deflected the question with a non-answer) and how he has Ozpin's cane despite Ozpin's likely capture. A lot of his actions and dialogue don't add up to me and not in the 'the writing isn't solid' way either but the 'something is up with this guy' way.

To be perfectly honest, I'm probably wrong and the Silver Eyes turn out to just be their own thing, but I would not be surprised one bit to find out that the Silver Eyes really are just a story that Qrow is using to cover up the fact Ruby is likely a Maiden or something. He just...comes off like the sort who would do that.

16. - Top - End - #166

No, I mean that I imagine that students forge their weapons pretty early on at Signal and the teachers there are compotent enough to be able to mentor them to the point where they are roughly as talented as Weiss and Blake.

So why not Ruby? It just strikes me as strange.
    Everyone else uses a fighting style that at least has roots in a real one. Boxing, shooting, tai chi, fencing, HEMA, whatever the greek spear thing is called, or even just whacking things with big chunks of metal. And Blake has the excuse that she's fought for her life before she got into Beacon, so she would be good pretty much by necessity. Whereas Ruby uses a weapon that is noted as being both rare and extremely difficult to use, so I really don't think its that far fetched that there might not be someone at Signal to teach her how to use it properly. You wouldn't expect someone who studies Brazillian Jiu-jitsu to be any good at teaching someone how to fence, after all.

By the way, does anyone know the actual line?

Then why isn't Pyrrha with the second year students like Team Coffe? She clearly doesn't belong with the rest of the first year students, why no exception for her? That's why Ruby's situation is odd to me. If Pyrrha wasn't moved ahead, why was Ruby? The convenient answer would be because Pyrrha wouldn't have a team to be on if they did, but they probably could have figured out something.
    I mean...they kinda did kill of one of their most popular characters because they couldn't think of anything else for him to do. Would you really put it past them?

But addressing the in-universe logic of it, she isn't shown as being as good as the second years IIRC. In the big marquee fight at the end of S2, RWBY and JNPR, including Phyrra, were supposed to be being overwhelmed by the grimm before the upperclassmen showed up.

I don't know.

I really don't, but he's setting off all kinds of flags in my head from little things like not telling Yang about her mom (y'know, one of the driving focuses of her life when he is otherwise a pretty good uncle) until he had to in order to give Yang a pick me up to the bigger things like his answer when Ruby asked him how he knew what Ozpin said to her when they first met (he deflected the question with a non-answer) and how he has Ozpin's cane despite Ozpin's likely capture. A lot of his actions and dialogue don't add up to me and not in the 'the writing isn't solid' way either but the 'something is up with this guy' way.

To be perfectly honest, I'm probably wrong and the Silver Eyes turn out to just be their own thing, but I would not be surprised one bit to find out that the Silver Eyes really are just a story that Qrow is using to cover up the fact Ruby is likely a Maiden or something. He just...comes off like the sort who would do that.
    It seems to be like the first two could be written off as simple reticence about exposing secrets, whether familial or governmental, to his school-aged nieces, and I thought there was a fairly significant gap between when Ozpin was captured and when Ruby froze the school where Qrow could've gotten in to retrieve it, on top of it being dumb to let a captive keep their weapon.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Everyone else uses a fighting style that at least has roots in a real one. Boxing, shooting, tai chi, fencing, HEMA, whatever the greek spear thing is called, or even just whacking things with big chunks of metal. And Blake has the excuse that she's fought for her life before she got into Beacon, so she would be good pretty much by necessity. Whereas Ruby uses a weapon that is noted as being both rare and extremely difficult to use, so I really don't think its that far fetched that there might not be someone at Signal to teach her how to use it properly. You wouldn't expect someone who studies Brazillian Jiu-jitsu to be any good at teaching someone how to fence, after all.

By the way, does anyone know the actual line?
    Not off the top of my head, but it was along the lines of 'I was complete garbage until my uncle taught me, and now I'm all like *kung-fu noises*'. Though I should note they don't say scythe fighters are rare but the weapon itself is dangerous. And yeah, could just be that and likely is but it stands out as peculiar.

I mean...they kinda did kill of one of their most popular characters because they couldn't think of anything else for him to do. Would you really put it past them?

But addressing the in-universe logic of it, she isn't shown as being as good as the second years IIRC. In the big marquee fight at the end of S2, RWBY and JNPR, including Phyrra, were supposed to be being overwhelmed by the grimm before the upperclassmen showed up.
    You mean Torchwick? The character who was never meant to make it to the third season and was only brought back BECAUSE he was so popular to give a better ending to the fans instead of just being sent off to prison?

But the overwhelming is just by sheer numbers nor where they overwhelmed (which implies the teams themselves were in danger), they were overrun because they didn't have the manpower to stop all the Grimm which arrived in short order. That attack was dangerous but it wasn't a huge thing because it happened way before it was supposed to happen. In terms of quality? I've seen nothing from the upperclassmen that shows they are better than Pyrrha, just on par with her.

It seems to be like the first two could be written off as simple reticence about exposing secrets, whether familial or governmental, to his school-aged nieces, and I thought there was a fairly significant gap between when Ozpin was captured and when Ruby froze the school where Qrow could've gotten in to retrieve it, on top of it being dumb to let a captive keep their weapon.
    Spoiler: Qrow Stuff
    Show
    Okay, but that's not quite the case. From all we've been told, what Raven is doing is not a secret of any kind. Raven isn't on some kind of secret mission and she does not appear to be involved in the main story as of right now so there is, quite literally, no reason NOT to tell Yang. Qrow does say he was waiting for the right time to tell Yang about Raven but she didn't even know that Qrow talked to his sister at all, which...is a weird secret to keep. Yeah, Raven is apparently dangerous so keeping leads on her location a secret makes sense but he hides the fact he talks to her at all.

And for the second, that's not about not revealing a secret because he tells Ruby that he's been working for Ozpin the entire time right after that...but that has nothing to do with what Ozpin first said to her. It has nothing to do with her question either! Ozpin mentions Ruby's silver eyes when they first meet...but Qrow doesn't come back to Vale until Volume 3 in part because while he's giving reports but no one is talking back to him after a substantial period of time has passed. Why on earth would Ozpin tell Qrow 'Hey, met your niece. Told her she had silver eyes, how was your mission?'. There's absolutely no reason for Qrow to know what Ozpin said and yet Qrow does and when questioned about it...doesn't answer. He deflects the question and talks about something else and that's what bothers me...because it implies that Qrow know what happened that night...somehow and how he knows is a secret he can't share with his niece. Which if the Silver Eyes story is more than just a ridiculous story and something he knew about because of Summer...well...it has nothing to do with the Maidens which is the only secret that we KNOW Qrow needs to keep so he doesn't need to hide how he knew Ozpin said that because...it doesn't really matter. It has nothing to do with his missions or the secret society, there's no reason to avoid the question of why on earth Ozpin would bring up an off-hand observation he made when first meeting Ruby.

And that's what is suspicious to me...Silver Eyes do not seem like world-shattering secret if it was released, not like the existence of actual magic. Heck, they'd probably just be mistaken for another genetically inherited semblance like Schnee Glyphs/Summoning from what we've seen so far of what they can do. So even if Ozpin picked up on it, there's still not a reason to tell Qrow something he probably already knows about. It seems like the only reason for Ozpin to mention what he told Ruby to Qrow (assuming he doesn't know for some other, shady reason, see below) is if it related to their mission to protect and hide the Maidens. If so, I could see Qrow lying to Ruby about what she did to keep word about the fact that Ruby was tied to the Maidens on the down low, especially since he knows for a fact that a group of people with skill and cunning are hunting down Maidens kill them/steal their abilities.

It just stands out as particularly strange that Qrow doesn't JUST know what Ozpin first said to Ruby, that could be easily explained...but its that Qrow dodges the question of how he knew that which implies there is more to it than that.

Another explanation is that Qrow and Ozpin share some deeper connection (no, not that way! ) that explains how Qrow knows what Ozpin said and had his cane, but doesn't change the fact Qrow comes off as really suspicious because of these things.

Especially since Beacon is completely overwhelmed by Grimm by the end of the Battle for Beacon, to the point everyone has to withdraw for fear of being murder-death-killed. And yet Qrow somehow still manages to sneak in long enough to search through Beacon to find Ozpin's cane? Cause Qrow doesn't know what happened to Ozpin or where it happened so he'd have to search through. I mean, on its own its not suspicious, just means Qrow did just that which is highly possible for him since he can turn into a bird (Semblance my ass on that one) and is a fully trained huntsman that has been retrieving information for quite some time...its just in combination with the above stuff that it makes me suspicious.

Hopefully that helped clear up my thought process but...uhh...I don't think it did because I'm terrible at explaining my thoughts most of the time. The TL;DR version is quite simply that a lot of the things that Qrow has done aren't suspicious to me...on their own, but they aren't on their own and thus I am suspicious of him.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

The disconnect I have is that Qrow is obviously enigmatic, but enigmatic is not the same as suspicious. We have reason to believe he's not telling us everything, but not that he's lying to us.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

The disconnect I have is that Qrow is obviously enigmatic, but enigmatic is not the same as suspicious. We have reason to believe he's not telling us everything, but not that he's lying to us.
    You're right, its not the same but the two are rather similar and can go hand in hand quite easily.

I don't expect I'm right on this, but I won't be surprised if I am either.

20. - Top - End - #170

The RWBY manga updated two months ago by the way and I didn't realize until just now because even I've stopped baring. It's mostly just Yang being her psycho self against Junior's bar...but they add in some stuff to make it actually some good characterization and world building.

Junior mentions that all the fighting is fine, it's "that kind of place" after all. But at the very least they can buy some drinks? So Yang is like "sure" and buys two non alcoholic drinks for her and Ruby, they drink them, then leave.

Also all of his men, and him included, are covered in bandages because Yang helped patch them up after murdering half of them.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2016-10-10 at 04:48 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171

Flumph

I would not be surprised one bit to find out that the Silver Eyes really are just a story that Qrow is using to cover up the fact Ruby is likely a Maiden or something. He just...comes off like the sort who would do that.
    Same. I kinda got the feeling it was just bullcrap he made up to cover up something else.

Alternatively, maybe it wasn't a whole truth. Like, maybe silver eyes is a trait that is associated with something else (if you become x Maiden your eyes turn silver or something like that) and people who didn't know about the Maiden saw silver-eyed women being awesome and came up with the silver-eyed warrior story without realizing where the power came from. (Plus didn't Amber and Cinder have weird wing-type-things around their eyes while using their Maiden powers?)

Anyway, just wanted to throw in my thoughts. Sorry if that was just incoherent rambling, as at the moment I am very, very tired.

22. - Top - End - #172

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    Same. I kinda got the feeling it was just bullcrap he made up to cover up something else.

Alternatively, maybe it wasn't a whole truth. Like, maybe silver eyes is a trait that is associated with something else (if you become x Maiden your eyes turn silver or something like that) and people who didn't know about the Maiden saw silver-eyed women being awesome and came up with the silver-eyed warrior story without realizing where the power came from. (Plus didn't Amber and Cinder have weird wing-type-things around their eyes while using their Maiden powers?)

Anyway, just wanted to throw in my thoughts. Sorry if that was just incoherent rambling, as at the moment I am very, very tired.
    They had kinda fire eyeballs, yeah. But I don't think Ruby is a maiden since otherwise I feel Qrowe would of told her that, and the colour is all silver and stuff so it'd be Winter, which doesn't make sense for Ruby at all as a special power up thing.

So instead they go with some kind of creepy eyeball wing hunter vision that paralyzes things.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Unless it's a white and pure spring rebirth.

Or the white hot intensity of summer heat.

I'm banking on the former, but the latter is technically viable and spring for yang would be an interesting subversion of expectations.
    "I Burn!"

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Unless it's a white and pure spring rebirth.

Or the white hot intensity of summer heat.

I'm banking on the former, but the latter is technically viable and spring for yang would be an interesting subversion of expectations.
    The colour of Spring is green and Summer is pink (or vice versa I don't remember) according to official videos. So while it'd be interesting, they'd also be going against their own canon on that...not that that's any different from normal here.

Also "interesting subversion of expectations" would be me being right and Roman being the true mastermind

25. - Top - End - #175
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Also "interesting subversion of expectations" would be me being right
    Saving this quote for later.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Some notable other appearances of silver-gray eyes (from TVTropes):
    -Claymore warriors
    -Malory's King Arthur (not the others, though)
    -Fate Averruncus, the artificial human from Mahou Sensei Negima!
    -Rand al'Thor from Wheel of Time
    -House of Stark, ASOIAF
    -Athena the 'gray-eyed goddess'

So, rough sketch of possibilities:
    -Part Grimm or similar
    -Hidden royal
    -Artificial human
    -Reincarnated superhuman mage
    -Can turn into or possess Grimm
    -...no, I can't think of one for Athena.

One other idea occurs to me. Silver stands for the moon, and the shattered moon should be significant. Silver is Artemis' color, and, well, something something goddess of the hunt. If I were picking myths, that's the one I'd pick.

(Incidentally: is Dust moonstuff fallen to Remnant? I think this may have come up in the thread before.)

(Also: Remnant of what?)

(Also also: what's with the dragon-shaped continent in the northwest? There are slightly less dragon-shaped bits on the other continents, too.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    savage
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2016-10-14 at 12:43 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    That's fair. After all...

Some notable other appearances of silver-gray eyes (from TVTropes):

savage
    Of those you listed I think the Claymore one is the most likely inspiration, given what RWBY is.

I set myself up for it and arguably deserved it.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

That's fair. After all...

Rawhide, how could you? For shame.

Of those you listed I think the Claymore one is the most likely inspiration, given what RWBY is.

I set myself up for it and arguably deserved it.
    Until we know more, I'm not sure we'll be able to tell what the inspiration is. Right now there just isn't enough info to work off of.

...Also, I tried to read the RWBY manga but something is really off-putting about it and I can't really put my finger on it. The art and dialogue just feels very...busy, like there's too much going on at once.

29. - Top - End - #179

...Also, I tried to read the RWBY manga but something is really off-putting about it and I can't really put my finger on it. The art and dialogue just feels very...busy, like there's too much going on at once.
    Aside from the first few chapters which had Ruby beat up Cardin, they're all just redos of the introductionary teaser trailers RWBY had. So if they feel busy and chaotic, that's kind of on the source material's hands

For what it's worth, I do feel the art is a little offputting, something about the mangaka's art for make the characters look a little psychotic at times. I'd argue this is a POSITIVE, because Ruby and Yang are the people this affects the most and they should look psychotic, especially Yang when doing her super move.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Aside from the first few chapters which had Ruby beat up Cardin, they're all just redos of the introductionary teaser trailers RWBY had. So if they feel busy and chaotic, that's kind of on the source material's hands

For what it's worth, I do feel the art is a little offputting, something about the mangaka's art for make the characters look a little psychotic at times. I'd argue this is a POSITIVE, because Ruby and Yang are the people this affects the most and they should look psychotic, especially Yang when doing her super move.
    That's just it though, I didn't have a problem with the introductory trailers and they didn't feel...'busy'. I might be phrasing it wrong cause I liked the extra details they throw in to explain stuff...dunno when it comes to action, it all seems to just turn into a blur of lines. I think it might just be the art style the mangaka uses...it does feel a lot like Claymore now that someone reminded me of it but it doesn't feel quite as clean.

I have noticed the psychotic look thing a bit...and its very off-putting, especially combined with the somewhat alien way he does faces. I mean Yang I can kinda see (psychotic is close to angry I guess) but for Ruby its just strange.