New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [BitPRē] Mortal World V

Naito takes some of the meat, and seems quite satisfied with the food.

"I've lashed out at other people for doing that. It would be pretty hypocritical to start patting myself on the back now. Besides, if I stop to congratulate myself, that weakens my drive. I know that's important for a lot of people, but I work best by just pushing myself forward as hard as I can. It's what I've always done."
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

"Yeah, and? We're all hypocrites to some degree, Naito. You can own that up or you can keep burning the candle at both ends.

I get what it's like to forbid yourself a moment's rest to make sure you don't slow down. But look how far you've gotten. Don't you think you owe it to yourself to make sure you're not leaving something important behind? I mean, I'm not saying pull the brakes full stop, here. Just take a moment, every now and then, enjoy the little things. Enjoy hanging out with your friends. You're worth it, kiddo."
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

3. - Top - End - #153

"Just because something isn't obtainable doesn't mean I should stop working towards it. And besides...I'll spend time with my friends when I can be sure I won't end up hurting them."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Orc in the Playground

"Like I said, no need to pull the brakes. No need to hurry that way like the world's gonna end, either.

And what if I told you that by not spending time with your friends, you're already hurting them? No one can really escape doing that one time or another. Fact of life. And besides, it wasn't you who hurt them. It was Alpha-1.

Your friends care about you. They're giving you your space because they don't think getting on your face is going to do you any good. Doesn't mean it's not hurting them, not being able to do anything to make you happy.

Take our little chat about martial arts. When was the last time you talked about any of that stuff with your friends?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

5. - Top - End - #155

A shake of the head.

"I don't think you get what I'm saying. I don't want to have a flashback and literally hurt someone. I know that keeping everyone at arm's length is bad, but breaking something would be even worse. Believe it or not, I have put thought into this."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

"I'm not doubting that. It's just that you're standing here, right now, because your friends took a step forward to bring you back no matter the cost.

And you're deciding that on your own, too. You're underestimating your friends and their ability to hold you back if and when that flashback happens. No one wants to hurt anybody here."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #157

Naito chews for a minute, both literally and figuratively.

"Up close, I'm faster, better trained, and more experienced than any of my friends. Yeah, they're all good fighters. I'm not saying for certain that one slip up is guaranteed to hurt someone. But there's always going to be a chance of things going wrong. A big enough one that I don't want to risk it."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    Katsuo tilts his head a little now that he's gotten an actual good look at Torahiko. "Did you join the-" No, that wasn't the JDSF uniform, and besides, the enlistment age is 18. "...some kind of... military camp? Or?"

He smiles a bit and waves it off. "That's okay, really... unless you want to show me something?" He doesn't say it, but his stance suggests that he was here to talk to Shinji.
    He'd forgotten he was still in uniform. "Kind of, this is the the trust of the Quincy, it's something I earned before... Let's not talk about that right now" The question of if they'd still trust him was still up in the air. Likely not, given his actions since their defeat.

"I do, it'll be cool, like a manga scene."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    Shinji's expression tenses for a moment. He turns back to his guests and tries to put up a better one.

Torahiko hasn't been around Shinji long enough, so there's a chance the plasticity of it goes unnoticed. But Katsuo's seen that face before, and it usually means he's troubled.

"Excuse me a moment, will you? I need to address something very quickly."

And then he just melts into the ground, and he's gone.
    Not noticing Shinji's expression, the student waves at the his vanishing host. "Looks like it's just us for a bit."
    "Life before death, Strength before weakness, Journey before destination."

Baking werewolf by Diremage
    Spoiler: Oddly true
    Show
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Beastly Squall avatar by linklele. Awesome Protean avatar by Serpentine.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dorizzit View Post
    Naito chews for a minute, both literally and figuratively.

"Up close, I'm faster, better trained, and more experienced than any of my friends. Yeah, they're all good fighters. I'm not saying for certain that one slip up is guaranteed to hurt someone. But there's always going to be a chance of things going wrong. A big enough one that I don't want to risk it."
    "And if they need you?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160

Naito looks away.

"That's not good for them. But I'll try to do what I can. It's the least I can do."

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

"Alright. You keep that in mind next time you need help yourself.

How do you like that barbecue? Learned it from a legitimate gaúcho man."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162

Naito makes a soft noise of acknowledgement at Bai's first statement, but doesn't conclusively respond.

"S'pretty good."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

"Glad you enjoy it. The guy could cook a lot better than me, though. Especially groundfire style." Bai admits. "I miss that silly goof Bento."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164

Naito casts a glance up from the meat, swallowing before speaking.

"Been around the block a few times?"

A coded way of asking whether or not Bai is unreasonably old. By human standards, at least.
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2016-08-22 at 10:48 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

"Sure, you could say that. Course, I was an old soul to begin with." He jests.

- - - Updated - - -

[A lot of time afterwards]

"Katsuo, you got visitors. And not the good kind."

This meant bad news.

"Come with me. Sorry, Torahiko - we'll talk more later."

Shinji isn't the kind to be rude to guests, so Katsuo knows that the way he's doing things is very out of character for him.

"You're going to get some very bad news very soon. I have a plan to counter them already, but for that to work, I'm going to need you to work with me. Alright?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166

Naito's nose wrinkles at the joke.

"Never met an 'old soul' who wasn't just pretentious and younger than they'd like."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dorizzit View Post
    Naito's nose wrinkles at the joke.

"Never met an 'old soul' who wasn't just pretentious and younger than they'd like."
    "Suppose it's especially appropriate with me, then. I was one cheeky bastard back in the day. Now I'm merely a cheeky jackass."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

[Ikari, Japan]
    (Kuzunoha Sanctuary)

Katsuo gives Torahiko a sympathetic grimace, in a way saying sorry for the interruption. But... this seemed important.

He tenses up when Shinji continues after pulling him aside. He's quiet, turning over this question in his head for about half a second. His look says he trusts Shinji completely. His heart... is a bit more troubled.

"...what news?"
    My Homebrew
    Sick props to Akrim.elf for the rockin' Chouko-tar!

BitP: Rebornē characters!
    Madokapunk!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground

"Well, they say they've got something else to tell you too, but...

...they have your aunt, Katsuo."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170

[Uina Mountain Range]

Naito just shrugs, apparently not having much of a response to that. Finishing up with the meat, Naito leans back against a nearby tree, staring into the fire.

"What a day."
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2016-08-22 at 04:46 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Orc in the Playground

"Rest up, cuz tomorrow won't be any easier."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172

"Never is."

Naiti will go to sleep soon, barring further discussion.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

"Well, they say they've got something else to tell you too, but...

...they have your aunt, Katsuo."
    There is a moment of quiet. Like a breath. Not peaceful, simply... a lack of noise before it resumes. Terrifying in its own right. "...where?"

"Who?" The expression Katsuo gives is not one of hate. But... the terror and pain in his eyes is not much better. Arguably worse.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

"Felicia. I know where and I've got an incursion plan already.

We know this is a trap, and it's one we walk into willingly. Our priority is rescue, not combat. You okay with that?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    [Tamaki's house]

Hmmm. It's clear from her appearance this girl isn't a native. "Yeah. I'm Tamaki", he replies, deciding to not pay much attention to formalities. "So what brings you here?"
    "You?" Robin says indignantly before visibly composing herself and continuing. "Is there somewhere we can talk without prying eyes? What I have to say may sound crazy and I don't want to take a one way trip to a psychoanalyst."

Her eyes are steady but if Tamaki is attentive he may notice Robin's heartbeat pounding in her chest.
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Ikari, Japan]
    [Entrance, Kuzonoha Sanctuary]

While Shinji is getting Katsuo, Chuck has made his way to the entrance Argos is using to make himself known. Rather than talking or posturing, Chuck opts to simply stand there.

Just inside the doorframe, where at least a measure of the wards will work upon him to mute the full level of righteous fury and destructive intent he's feeling right now.

He seems content to wait for Shinji and Katsuo to show up, just watching Argos, and occasionally reaching out his well-honed spiritual senses to try and detect any nearby threats.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

[Tamaki's house]
    Quote Originally Posted by riccaru View Post
    "You?" Robin says indignantly before visibly composing herself and continuing. "Is there somewhere we can talk without prying eyes? What I have to say may sound crazy and I don't want to take a one way trip to a psychoanalyst."

Her eyes are steady but if Tamaki is attentive he may notice Robin's heartbeat pounding in her chest.
    "Yes, me", Tamaki says plainly. Some other day, Robin's indignation would've been amusing. Not today. "If it eases your mind, nothing you could claim can possibly be crazier than what I've been through. Do come in." Tamaki steps aside and beckons Robin to get in.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    [Ikari, Japan]
    [Entrance, Kuzonoha Sanctuary]

While Shinji is getting Katsuo, Chuck has made his way to the entrance Argos is using to make himself known. Rather than talking or posturing, Chuck opts to simply stand there.

Just inside the doorframe, where at least a measure of the wards will work upon him to mute the full level of righteous fury and destructive intent he's feeling right now.

He seems content to wait for Shinji and Katsuo to show up, just watching Argos, and occasionally reaching out his well-honed spiritual senses to try and detect any nearby threats.
    Given its movements, Argos appears to be playing minesweeper on its tablet. One of its eyes is intently focused on the distance, however. Because there is someone else watching it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Ikari, Kuzunoha Sanctuary

Kousaka watches the eyes staring at him for a while before smiling.

"So who's watching who now, you watch me or I watch you? You friend or foe?"
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

"Felicia. I know where and I've got an incursion plan already.

We know this is a trap, and it's one we walk into willingly. Our priority is rescue, not combat. You okay with that?"
    "...who? I don't..." Katsuo exhales sharply as it starts to set in, but Shinji feels like he was trying to say that he's not sure who that is.

"I don't... I never wanted to fight, I just wanted to protect the people I cared about, and... and I keep failing! I can't fail. No schemes. No future sight, Shinji. I have to save her. She's the only... she's the last piece of mom I have left." The pain is pretty clear to see in Katsuo's eyes and hear in his voice.
    My Homebrew

Madokapunk!