New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Age of Sigmar: Points and Handbooks

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    So Forbidden Power reviews are going up.

Spoiler: Legion of Grief
    Show

gravesites
    only one legion ability: -1 bravery when near a grief unit
    3 spells in the lore, 3 traits, 3 artifacts

oof nobody is really going to run this, bravery debuffs do not work. especially now the newer books generate CPs by the crapload to be immune to battleshock or just hand it out naturally. The fact they only get 1 legion ability compared just cements it.

well my interest in buying this just plummeted.
    Bravery bombs are already a thing. It's not making units run away, it's blasting out -Bravery debuffs and then hitting things with "MW vs your Bravery" attacks and just removing a bunch of models from the board. However, I'm not sure how tied up that is in the Nighthaunt allegiance, so might not be a thing for Grief.

But Gravesites are worth it anyways. Bladegheist Revenants are just as good as Grimghasts, potentially better in this age of bubble wrap city. The ability to fall back and retreat is one of the stronger things in the game, and now if you can peg them with multiple "return d3 model" Gravesites... ew. There's no stopping Grimghast and Bladeghiest walls running at you. Depends on how much points change, of course.

Depending on your army, the purchase is imo worth it for the Bridge and Boat Endless Spells, and potentially the Shards. Bridge is not only a solid teleport for slower armies, but also two large bases for blocking space. Shards can block space and put out the best part of Geminids, -hits. Boat absolutely breaks certain units depending on how cheap it is.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Oh, do we have points on the boat and the bridge?

EDIT: and don't forget Legion of Grief *finally* puts the Mortis Engine in ghosts, where it belongs.
    Last edited by PraetorDragoon; 2019-05-20 at 12:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Ogre in the Playground

Crimson Fields GT report

Spoiler: my list
    Show

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
    Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
    Arkhan the Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
    - Lore of the Dead: Amaranthine Orb (Vampires)
    Vampire Lord (140)
    - General
    - Mount: Flying Horror
    - Trait: Lord of Nagashizzar
    - Artefact: Ossific Diadem
    - Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
    Necromancer (110)
    - Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
    Necromancer (110)

Battleline
    40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
    - Ancient Spears
    20 x Chainrasp Horde (160)

Units
    20 x Grimghast Reapers (280)
    4 x Morghast Harbingers (440)
    - Spirit Halberds

Total: 2000 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 0
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 150

Round 1: Khorne Mortals: Major win as he was new and choked out his 30 block. Mortals are significantly less scary than demons.
    Round 2: Stormcast: Major loss as I did not have enough to chew through 45 sequitors.
    Round 3: Skaven: Major loss, Lightning cannons are BS. nearly won after losing all my heros by turn 2, but lost the turn 5 priority so I lost 20-21 instead of winning 25-21
    Round 4: Slaves of Darkness: Major win. Outdated rules meant he couldn't do any damage so tarpits sit on objectives and win.
    Round 5: Clan pestilance: my army got one-shot by plague monks. effectively tabled in turn 1.

ended up 13th

I'd been waffling on finally dropping LoN for a while, and had been calling this Tournament it's last hurrah. It isn't a good player/army fit and with the almost certain nerfs coming in GHB that are effectively no longer needed given how straight BONKERS the latest books are; I've accepted I do not want to play the "keep the fragile general alive" any more. I'll wait and see what GHB has in it before choosing my next army, though hopefully it'll drop soon cause 2 months to learn/build before NOVA is a tight squeeze.
    Last edited by 9mm; 2019-05-26 at 09:15 PM.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    Crimson Fields GT report

Spoiler: my list
    Show

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
    Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
    Arkhan the Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
    - Lore of the Dead: Amaranthine Orb (Vampires)
    Vampire Lord (140)
    - General
    - Mount: Flying Horror
    - Trait: Lord of Nagashizzar
    - Artefact: Ossific Diadem
    - Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
    Necromancer (110)
    Necromancer (110)

Battleline
    40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
    - Ancient Spears

Units
    20 x Grimghast Reapers (280)
    4 x Morghast Harbingers (440)
    - Spirit Halberds

Total: 2000 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 0
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 150

Round 1: Khorne Mortals: Major win as he was new and choked out his 30 block. Mortals are significantly less scary than demons.
    Round 2: Stormcast: Major loss as I did not have enough to chew through 45 sequitors.
    Round 3: Skaven: Major loss, Lightning cannons are BS. nearly won after losing all my heros by turn 2, but lost the turn 5 priority so I lost 20-21 instead of winning 25-21
    Round 4: Slaves of Darkness: Major win. Outdated rules meant he couldn't do any damage so tarpits sit on objectives and win.
    Round 5: Clan pestilance: my army got one-shot by plague monks. effectively tabled in turn 1.

ended up 13th

I'd been waffling on finally dropping LoN for a while, and had been calling this Tournament it's last hurrah. It isn't a good player/army fit and with the almost certain nerfs coming in GHB that are effectively no longer needed given how straight BONKERS the latest books are; I've accepted I do not want to play the "keep the fragile general alive" any more. I'll wait and see what GHB has in it before choosing my next army, though hopefully it'll drop soon cause 2 months to learn/build before NOVA is a tight squeeze.
    Those are some hard matchups, WLC against Death is pretty rough. Plague Monks are... yeah. I think the only way you beat them with that list is like, chuck in Reapers, sacrifice them to kill a bunch, rez and repeat. You have the recursion and he doesn't, but Plague Monks are pretty strong.

I'd wait til GHB before deciding a new army - FEC and Skaven are a bit bonkers but let's wait to see what goes up and down next month.

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Banned

Karadron need to either get a proper battle tome or get scrapped. They just dont work currently.

Slaves to Darkness can use help too, but at least Archaon is hella OP. Or seems to be, dont know enough to judge properly.

Seraphon doesnt have a 2.0 book yet either, right?
    Last edited by LansXero; 2019-05-27 at 01:54 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Titan in the Playground

I would assume Slaves To Darkness and Seraphon are both coming up pretty soon - my prediction is after War Cry we'll see a Darkoath book that combines old Slaves, Everchosen, and the newer Darkoath stuff under one banner, as with Gitz and Troggoths.

7. - Top - End - #1117

Beholder

Seraphon, Everchosen, Ironjawz, Kharadron Overlords, Bonesplitterz, Disciples of Tzeentch and Beastclaw Raiders are the remaining out-dated books. Didn't count Sylvaneth as they are announced and leaks are floating around on the web. (The glades are being turned into subfactions btw)

Everchosen/Slaves to Darkness/Darkoath will be the most interesting of the list, as the remainder will be a simple update with terrain and spells/phenomenons. They are also most likely somewhere to fit in the Warcry releases, with the various tribes being subfactions or something.
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

8. - Top - End - #1118

Beholder

Hedonites of Slaanesh Commentary & Errata
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mentary_en.pdf
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/..._errata_en.pdf

Depleted Once Per Game artefacts are legit offerings to the fane.

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Hedonites of Slaanesh Commentary & Errata
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mentary_en.pdf
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/..._errata_en.pdf

Depleted Once Per Game artefacts are legit offerings to the fane.
    Yeah I kinda figured that was how it was intended.

There's a lot of clarifications to "fight last" type effects that I hope make it into the main errata as more and more of these types of things get into the game. I shouldn't have to open the Slaanesh update when my Gitz opponent casts Itchy Nuisance.

10. - Top - End - #1120

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    Yeah I kinda figured that was how it was intended.

There's a lot of clarifications to "fight last" type effects that I hope make it into the main errata as more and more of these types of things get into the game. I shouldn't have to open the Slaanesh update when my Gitz opponent casts Itchy Nuisance.
    Hopefully that ends up in GHB2019 or its FAQ.

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-1/

Warcry's models are so, so, so sick looking. I can't wait to buy all of it and then the game be dead in my area after 3 months, as is tradition.

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Ogre in the Playground

Warcry's models are so, so, so sick looking. I can't wait to buy all of it and then the game be dead in my area after 3 months, as is tradition.
    GIVE RELEASE DATE ALREADY

Also announce Slaves to Darkness battletome and GHB19 release dates.

hmm any other rants I want to level at GW while I'm at it?

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Those are some pretty amazing Tzeentch cultists

14. - Top - End - #1124

Beholder

At least you can use the components as Marauders for a chaos army and the terrain in aos games.

These birdy guys are great. My favorites so far.

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

Thought it would be hard to top the Serpents, but these looks amazing. Really, really like the lesser with the 2h. Big Stepper looks a bit odd though.

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Newbie question:

How much of a faux pas is it if a piece of mandatory[1] wargear doesn't get attached to the models?

Specifically, I'm assembling a bunch of vulkite berserkers with shields and picks. And their throwing axes are
    a) ugly
    b) stick out horribly (unless I'm making a mistake in assembly). On some of them (those with shields down by their sides, there's just no room for the throwing axe.

Can I leave them out on the model but still use them? It doesn't change point values, but is it a violation of norms or rules?

[1] mandatory == not an option on the datasheet. All the models come equipped with them, regardless of whether they have shield/pick or two axes.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Newbie question:

How much of a faux pas is it if a piece of mandatory[1] wargear doesn't get attached to the models?

Specifically, I'm assembling a bunch of vulkite berserkers with shields and picks. And their throwing axes are
    a) ugly
    b) stick out horribly (unless I'm making a mistake in assembly). On some of them (those with shields down by their sides, there's just no room for the throwing axe.

Can I leave them out on the model but still use them? It doesn't change point values, but is it a violation of norms or rules?

[1] mandatory == not an option on the datasheet. All the models come equipped with them, regardless of whether they have shield/pick or two axes.
    If it's not an optional take, no one will care. WYSIWYG is just to prevent people from confusing their opponents by using one weapon as another, or one unit as another. I mean, you should technically put them on, but no one is going to look past "naked dwarf, beard, shields and picks".

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

If it's not an optional take, no one will care. WYSIWYG is just to prevent people from confusing their opponents by using one weapon as another, or one unit as another. I mean, you should technically put them on, but no one is going to look past "naked dwarf, beard, shields and picks".
    Good to know. They're also annoying to try to paint.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

19. - Top - End - #1129

Beholder

So, Generals Handbook 2019 coming soon.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...handbook-2019/

Any big expectations? I am interested in seeing what the "Compendium Units" will be.

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Any big expectations? I am interested in seeing what the "Compendium Units" will be.
    My guess is that Compendium Units are a selection of Old World models that GW still sells, and/or they'll be all of the limited edition units that have been released over the least year (Malign Portents models, for example).
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

21. - Top - End - #1131

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    My guess is that Compendium Units are a selection of Old World models that GW still sells, and/or they'll be all of the limited edition units that have been released over the least year (Malign Portents models, for example).
    the Malign portent models have been mostly grouped in their respective factions now. (Except the Darkoath Queen) so I don't think thats that. Points for the older made to order edition models would be interesting though.

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

the Malign portent models have been mostly grouped in their respective factions now. (Except the Darkoath Queen) so I don't think thats that. Points for the older made to order edition models would be interesting though.
    They're giving updated profiles for Compendium units.
    You can't buy the Malign Portents book anymore.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Yeah Compendium are just the "we don't sell/make these anymore" armies - old Greenskins, Gitmob Grots, Tomb Kings, etc.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-2/

Mercenaries seem cool, though none that I'd want to use with my Stormcast. Though maybe I'll take a look at some of them for my Bonesplitterz once I get them done.

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah Compendium are just the "we don't sell/make these anymore" armies - old Greenskins, Gitmob Grots, Tomb Kings, etc.

Mercenaries seem cool, though none that I'd want to use with my Stormcast. Though maybe I'll take a look at some of them for my Bonesplitterz once I get them done.
    I read the merc rules and go "I think I get skeletons to 6 attacks".

25. - Top - End - #1135

Beholder

I quite like how the mercenaries are implemented. A group of different units works well.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The thing I quite like about Mercenaries is that they don't particularly bring anything busted to the table, mostly just unit varieties you might not otherwise get, and losing a CP first turn is a big downside. I doubt we see anything game breaking out of this system - the only very strong thing is FEC Mercs having their summoning, but without Households, Feeding Frenzy, or Death Saves, they're just ok.

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

So Meeting Engagements aren't just "1000 points but more balanced", it's literally an entirely new format for playing.

I quite like it. "Mandatory Reserves" with restrictions forces a bit of a different mindset in list building - especially since with forcing min unit sizes you can't load up on the alpha. First thoughts:

-Monster Heroes are going to be a big deal for Spearhead. Abhorrent Ghoul King on Terrorgheist when your opponent only has a portion of their force? Yeah, not much else people put out at min are going to be able to deal with that.
    -In retaliation, you can just put out chumps in your Spearhead, make T1 very passive (though might bite back depending on missions)
    -Armies with the strongest Battlelines will find a lot of mileage here. Put out defensive/passive units in spearhead, come in with the big hammer in Main Force.
    -Shooting armies are going to be quite nice. Counterdeploying against fast stuff, being able to piecemeal pick off units as they are staggered, I can see a Judicator/Ballista style force for SCE doing quite well, or a well crafted Free People's list.

I'm curious to see the missions and more specifics - I think there's a lot to like here, but non-standard formats can be tricky especially since GW has issues mixing rulesets. Cautiously optimistic, though, I love 1000 points and this seems like a fun way to hold more events.

28. - Top - End - #1138

Beholder

Meeting Engagements.

This does actually seem pretty interesting to me. Especially because I play 1000pts and I always find the splitting your army in contignents mechancis interesting.

Edit for being too slow
    -Monster Heroes are going to be a big deal for Spearhead. Abhorrent Ghoul King on Terrorgheist when your opponent only has a portion of their force? Yeah, not much else people put out at min are going to be able to deal with that.
    No behemoths in spearhead, only in the main body or rearguard.

-In retaliation, you can just put out chumps in your Spearhead, make T1 very passive (though might bite back depending on missions)
    Depends. I think having some cavalry spearhead could be useful to rush for objectives.

-Armies with the strongest Battlelines will find a lot of mileage here. Put out defensive/passive units in spearhead, come in with the big hammer in Main Force.
    Especially battlelines that don't depend on horde bonus. Being limited in double-size units will be rather interesting in a way to dether hordes.

-Shooting armies are going to be quite nice. Counterdeploying against fast stuff, being able to piecemeal pick off units as they are staggered, I can see a Judicator/Ballista style force for SCE doing quite well, or a well crafted Free People's list.
    Interaction with ranged units will be interesting. Depending on ambush events things might change.

I'm curious to see the missions and more specifics - I think there's a lot to like here, but non-standard formats can be tricky especially since GW has issues mixing rulesets. Cautiously optimistic, though, I love 1000 points and this seems like a fun way to hold more events.
    Agreed. It seems interesting enough.
    Last edited by PraetorDragoon; 2019-06-11 at 01:26 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Missed that 0 in Spearhead, good catch. I wonder what min-sized fast units will be good for Spearhead, most want to be taken at least double size (Eels, Dracolines, Gore Gruntas, Weirdnobz, etc).

Need to see the full rules, I wonder if there will be any restrictions on Summoning or army reserve rules. Can FEC just put out an Archregent but then summon 20 Ghouls on 1? Can Nighthaunt leave their Spearhead off the table via their deep strike system? There's a lot of wiggling around here that could make or break some lists.

30. - Top - End - #1140

Beholder

Missed that 0 in Spearhead, good catch. I wonder what min-sized fast units will be good for Spearhead, most want to be taken at least double size (Eels, Dracolines, Gore Gruntas, Weirdnobz, etc).

Need to see the full rules, I wonder if there will be any restrictions on Summoning or army reserve rules. Can FEC just put out an Archregent but then summon 20 Ghouls on 1? Can Nighthaunt leave their Spearhead off the table via their deep strike system? There's a lot of wiggling around here that could make or break some lists.
    Summoning can definitly throw a wrench in the plans, as do some Allegiance Abilities. Will need more details for that. Brayherds spring to mind as some that have involved ambush abilities.

Also just realized Skaven are the only ones who can bring max-sized battleline squads. (Clanrats have min 20)