New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Age of Sigmar: Points and Handbooks

New info on command abilities

I'm short, all heros can use their command abilities, but they cost (a?) command points.

One is generated each turn, and you start with one for each warscroll battalion you take.

There are now three generic command traits: Ignore one round of battleshock, auto run 6", re-roll a charge. Generals get an extra 6" range for these.
    Last edited by RagingBluMunky; 2018-05-18 at 11:54 AM.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I like the mechanic. I was worried it would just be some sort of close port from 40k, but instead we get something that evokes a similar idea while fitting AoS a bit more. I'm ready to stack CPs and burn a bunch of Abilities in one turn, a bunch of Lord-Celestants throwing out +1 to hit bubbles could make a really scary situation!

3. - Top - End - #543
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, photo quality aside, I think Neave Blacktalon's head works perfectly. Thank you for the suggestion, RagingBluMunky!

Spoiler: Large Photos
    Show

That said, I'm still happy to hear if anyone else has suggestions for female heads sized correctly for chaos warriors, especially units rather than characters, as then the bitz will be cheaper:D
    LGBTQIA+ITP

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

My alternative army idea: Slaves To Darkness.

Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount - 140
    Chaos Sorceror Lord - 160
    Chaos Gorebeast Chariots x3 - 300
    Chaos Chariots x3 - 240
    Chaos Knights x5 - 160
    Chaos Knights x5 - 160
    Chaos Knights x5 - 160
    Chaos Warriors x10 - 180

1500 points again. How does it look, generally?

Using the Slaves To Darkness allegiance, the Knights are Battleline. The Lord uses his ability to re-roll charges for the Gorebeasts, hopefully getting them the 8+ they need to double their attacks, and the sorceror lord can have them re-rolling ones to hit and wound. Everything can save against Mortal Wounds, which is nice. Alternatively, drop one unit of knights for more warriors (or some daemons, or marauders but those are kind of ugly models) and take the Slaanesh allegiance in order to get +1 to charges as well, and the Enrapturing Circlet, which can be used to stop archers from retreating from combat with me and shooting me in the face.

Aside from having to convert it, is there any cost at all to putting my sorceror lord on a steed?

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    My alternative army idea: Slaves To Darkness.

Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount - 140
    Chaos Sorceror Lord - 160
    Chaos Gorebeast Chariots x3 - 300
    Chaos Chariots x3 - 240
    Chaos Knights x5 - 160
    Chaos Knights x5 - 160
    Chaos Knights x5 - 160
    Chaos Warriors x10 - 180

1500 points again. How does it look, generally?

Using the Slaves To Darkness allegiance, the Knights are Battleline. The Lord uses his ability to re-roll charges for the Gorebeasts, hopefully getting them the 8+ they need to double their attacks, and the sorceror lord can have them re-rolling ones to hit and wound. Everything can save against Mortal Wounds, which is nice. Alternatively, drop one unit of knights for more warriors (or some daemons, or marauders but those are kind of ugly models) and take the Slaanesh allegiance in order to get +1 to charges as well, and the Enrapturing Circlet, which can be used to stop archers from retreating from combat with me and shooting me in the face.

Aside from having to convert it, is there any cost at all to putting my sorceror lord on a steed?
    I like it! I might experiment with combining two units of Knights or even all three into one unit for a huge fast unit that can lock down lots of the army at once. I also would look at splitting up the Chariots into MSU objective holders. But honestly I don't know how they specifically play at various unit sizes, so you'll have to try it out. Overall, I really like the fast, durable build you've got going on here.

Warriors do seem a bit out of place since they are slow foot dudes. Maybe replace them with another mounted Sorcerer Lord? Two Wizards are better than one, especially with the new magic stuff they've been teasing.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

The warriors are there largely because they come in the Start Collecting box (and because I need them if I want to try any other allegiance) - I could drop them quite happily. Is three characters in 1500pts really worth it though?

EDIT: Unless I drop a Gorebeast chariot to a normal chariot, running 2/2/2, and take a sorceror on Manticore. Which sounds like a fun time, to be honest.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2018-05-20 at 12:39 PM.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Characters are going to get some sniper defense in AoS2: https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-2/

Quote Originally Posted by Warhammer Community
    Look out, sir!
    You must subtract 1 from hit rolls made for missile weapons if the target of the attack is an enemy HERO that is within 3" of an enemy unit that has 3 or more models. The Look Out, Sir! rule does not apply if the target HERO is a MONSTER.
    I think I like it. It feels more reasonable for AoS than copying 40k's can't-see-characters-behind-units rule, but does provide a bit of defense against getting your general taken out by a cannon barrage first turn.
    LGBTQIA+ITP

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The warriors are there largely because they come in the Start Collecting box (and because I need them if I want to try any other allegiance) - I could drop them quite happily. Is three characters in 1500pts really worth it though?

EDIT: Unless I drop a Gorebeast chariot to a normal chariot, running 2/2/2, and take a sorceror on Manticore. Which sounds like a fun time, to be honest.
    Depends on the heroes. Chaos Lord on Mount and Sorcerers are both quite good right now, though might change in the new edition.

I like the Chariots and Manticore idea though. Sorc on Manticore is a great option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrastos42 View Post
    Characters are going to get some sniper defense in AoS2: https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-2/

I think I like it. It feels more reasonable for AoS than copying 40k's can't-see-characters-behind-units rule, but does provide a bit of defense against getting your general taken out by a cannon barrage first turn.
    I'm a fan. 40k version only makes sense in a game with as much shooting as 40k, if it was in AoS, many shooting units would basically disappear imo, and certain foot Heroes would become insane.

But it does enough to keep a lot of foot dudes from evaporating to Longstrikes, Skyfires, etc. Diggin it.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Adrastos42 View Post
    Well, photo quality aside, I think Neave Blacktalon's head works perfectly. Thank you for the suggestion, RagingBluMunky!

Spoiler: Large Photos
    Show

That said, I'm still happy to hear if anyone else has suggestions for female heads sized correctly for chaos warriors, especially units rather than characters, as then the bitz will be cheaper:D
    Looks great! Glad I could help. As for your warriors, the daughters of khaine army are your best bet, the melusai (half-snake ones) are a little larger than your average elf, so they will be most likely to work. Probably still pretty expensive though.

In other news, an interesting tidbit in the blades of khorne preview: in matched play, you will get a command point for every 50 you don't spend on units.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'm personally getting a bit tired of the drip feed leaks. It works well for Codex/Battletome leaks, because it's just a week and then you have it. Without a release date, it feels like they're just giving us tidbits to keep us going, especially when 90% of the article is just fluff saying "XYZ is really cool, just wait for more!".

That aside

Command Points for under-strength armies seems cool. I wonder if that means Triumphs are going away, especially since people forget them 90% of the time anyway. I wonder if we'll see more Hero scrolls updated with Command Abilities - in Stormcast, for instance, only Lord Celestants and Lord Aquilors have one, the rest don't. Which sort of makes sense since those are the leaders of the force, but it would be neat to see one on, for instance, a Relictor since they're spiritual leaders.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBluMunky View Post
    Looks great! Glad I could help. As for your warriors, the daughters of khaine army are your best bet, the melusai (half-snake ones) are a little larger than your average elf, so they will be most likely to work. Probably still pretty expensive though.
    Thanks! I'll have to have a look at the melusai. And I'm actually going to warhammer world soon, might have to bring along a model to hold up to the figure cases and compare sizes:D

I am liking all this command point stuff. If nothing else, getting to use abilities on your warscrolls is more fun than not getting to. And of course more decisions to make during the game usually makes for a more engaging game.
    LGBTQIA+ITP

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Are there any rumors/any information about how/what rules the new edition will come with? Presumably battletomes for Death and Stormcast are coming fairly soon, as is a General's Handbook - but has anyone heard anything about if there'll be new Grand Alliance books?

Also: will the new General's Handbook invalidate the current Slaves To Darkness rules in the 2017 one? I don't mind if it updates or replaces them - I'm just concerned that there won't be rules at all, and the fact that there is a 2018 version will mean all the 2017 version rules are invalid?

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So the top 2 lists that went undefeated at London GT were both Maggotkin lists. Neat.

Then again, the game is changing, so there's probably not much to do with that information.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Are there any rumors/any information about how/what rules the new edition will come with? Presumably battletomes for Death and Stormcast are coming fairly soon, as is a General's Handbook - but has anyone heard anything about if there'll be new Grand Alliance books?

Also: will the new General's Handbook invalidate the current Slaves To Darkness rules in the 2017 one? I don't mind if it updates or replaces them - I'm just concerned that there won't be rules at all, and the fact that there is a 2018 version will mean all the 2017 version rules are invalid?
    At least one of the Faction Previews said that there would be faction abilities moving from one GHB to the next, I'm betting all will transfer except Nighthaunt, which are on LoN now. They also have to update some of the pre-Maggotkin Battletomes around the new edition, I expect that happens in GHB 2018 as well.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-2/

LARGE changes to magic. Arcane Bolt and Mystic Shield received serious nerfs, though not entirely unwarranted. Dispelling at 30" is a big deal, and means you can more easily counter enemy Wizards (**** you Tzeentch!).

So they're really pushing the "rules for 7 realms" thing, I wonder if those will be mission rules in general or only for Narrative. I could see a thing where even in Matched you roll for a realm and there are special rules or something like that. Excited!

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post

LARGE changes to magic. Arcane Bolt and Mystic Shield received serious nerfs, though not entirely unwarranted. Dispelling at 30" is a big deal, and means you can more easily counter enemy Wizards (**** you Tzeentch!).

So they're really pushing the "rules for 7 realms" thing, I wonder if those will be mission rules in general or only for Narrative. I could see a thing where even in Matched you roll for a realm and there are special rules or something like that. Excited!
    I think it is in general, they are making general spells for each realm. Wether it becomes like terrain effects (which I personaly always forget is in the game) remains to be seen though.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

First look at an Endless Spell. I wonder if these are generic at all times or only for Realms? Gah, I want to know!

As for the effect, it seems really really interesting. While buffing your opponent as well with Speed Up is a bit of a downside, it can very much help slow melee armies - extra 4" of move/charge for Skeleton units can be huge!

The Slow Down effect seems very strong, especially for big, tanky Wizards. Nagash or LoC/Kairos with an extra spell and save rerolls? Gross.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder if "any wizard can use this" will be common to all the endless spells.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I wonder if "any wizard can use this" will be common to all the endless spells.
    Hm yeah we'll have to wait and see. I would wager you pick it in lieu of your army's lore, forcing some decisions for things like Tzeentch, Nurgle, and Sylvaneth. I also wonder if there will be a limitation on Named Characters, for the aforementioned Nagash reason >.>

20. - Top - End - #560
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    Hm yeah we'll have to wait and see. I would wager you pick it in lieu of your army's lore, forcing some decisions for things like Tzeentch, Nurgle, and Sylvaneth. I also wonder if there will be a limitation on Named Characters, for the aforementioned Nagash reason >.>
    Wouldn't stop a Lord of Change using it.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Wouldn't stop a Lord of Change using it.
    Well it wouldn't be Tzeentch if there wasn't at least a bit of cheating going on.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I must admit to being remiss. The Ironjawz and Maggotkin faction focuses were up last week, and they had some info on endless spells.

Lore of beasts has giant jaws that deal mortal wounds (can't remember if 1 or d3) to units it moves over.

Lore of life has a swarm of healing insects

23. - Top - End - #563
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Daughters of Khaine faction focus up. Not much new to say on them, other than they were written with this new edition in mind.

Of note, however, is that along side realm specific lores of magic, there are going to be realm specific magic item lists.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

I have to say, I'm not entirely a fan of "different stuff for different realms of magic". It sounds like a conversation that in casual matched games will be rather fraught, as i'm sure there's an advantage to be had in building your list to a specific realm and then talking your opponent into using it.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I have to say, I'm not entirely a fan of "different stuff for different realms of magic". It sounds like a conversation that in casual matched games will be rather fraught, as i'm sure there's an advantage to be had in building your list to a specific realm and then talking your opponent into using it.
    I understand where you are coming from, but I'm not sure it's as bad as you think.

Upon re-reading, it only says 'realm specific artifact', on the little next time blurb at the bottom it says it'll tell you how to take them later (of course). I took this to mean that it worked like realm lores, though it could very well mean that you can specify what realm your army hails from.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

I was under the impression that you chose the realm the battle was taking place in, not one for your army - though I can't remember where I got that impression. I'd be very happy to be proved wrong!

27. - Top - End - #567
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

You got that impression because it was outright stated in the magic article, it's only the newest faction focus that was ambiguous

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-3/

Summoning and Legions of Nagash articles. Summoning being free was worrying, but it seems much more balanced now. There's no "cast a few spells on T1, get another 600 points", instead it requires you to play for it and will only get a marginal boost unless you wait til later in the game. If you look at Maggotkin, who can already Summon for free, they can't get anything substantial until Turn 3 at the very earliest, generally 4 or 5. It's strong, but it isn't what's winning games.

Legions can return anything... but only once it's dead, and only if there's a viable Gravesite location nearby, so the opponent can zone stuff out by sitting on Gravesites. Seems fairly balanced to me.

I like it quite a bit. Time will tell if it's good or bad, but I'm fairly happy with it.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Troll in the Playground

Mmm, I might need to pick up some horrors and such as well. I'll finally get to use the summoning effects of all those "deal X mortal wounds and then summon something" spells my Tzeentch heroes have.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

30. - Top - End - #570
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

So, I haven't played anything Warhammer Fantasy related for a long time.

I have a reasonable amount of I guess Sepharon is what they are called now... But I am really curious about the dwarf air ship faction.

Sould I just focus on them, or should I get into flying dwarves? Also, what are some thoughts on them?
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles