New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Sigmar: Points and Handbooks

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    The one with the top hat just looks like the sculptors are testing what they can get away with.

This is the kind of thing where if it was someone's converted army I would be blown away, but when it's being put out as the base kit by GW it just feels... eh.
    "So he's a dwarf, suspended from a balloon contraption along with a cannon, with a pepperbox gauntlet and what is totally not a chainsword chainfist (just looked again, it's totally mounted on the back of the gauntlet). Let's cover him with armor and add a tophat; HQ unit for the army is done!"

I swear, this army looks like someone has spent a lot of time playing World of Warcraft; the steampunk airships, overemphasis on cannons and mechanical contraptions, it all fits that aesthetic. Hell, I swear those Gatling rifles are actually in the game!

And based on how over the top and sci-fi-ish these look, I won't be surprised in the slightest if folks take these models and play them in 40k as a Counts-As Space Marine army or something, just so they can have Squats.
    Currently Playing:
    Nothing at the moment.

Nova avatar courtesy of the ever awesome LCP.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

They do fit the AoS '80s cartoon with 300% more power metal' aesthetic to a T though. The whole setting feels a bit like a Gloryhammer album got smashed into a Dream Evil album and then moulded onto the nine worlds of Norse mythology, and these guys fit into that pretty well.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

I think it fits their original style pretty well. But with AoS they were supposed to be going in a bold new direction.
    You can put "steampunk dwarves" into your search engine of choice and come up with lot of material. It is a very well worn idea. There are already other companies out with models that would fit perfectly into the look and scheme.

It does nothing to show that they can be original or do new and interesting twists on the existing. It really just seems like it reinforces the "someone on the design team thinks this would be cool so now we have to make rules for it" sort of mentality they've been labeled with for the last years.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I just want to see how hard they push the 'Sky Pirates' theme. Because the Fyreslayers' fluff sucks, and the Dispossessed are basically the same as Dwarves ever were.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rizhail View Post
    And based on how over the top and sci-fi-ish these look, I won't be surprised in the slightest if folks take these models and play them in 40k as a Counts-As Space Marine army or something, just so they can have Squats.
    And you'd be right. If I still played 40K, I would actually consider doing that.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    I just want to see how hard they push the 'Sky Pirates' theme. Because the Fyreslayers' fluff sucks, and the Dispossessed are basically the same as Dwarves ever were.
    Isn't Fyreslayers' fluff basically 'we're looking to collect all the magical gold that is all that remains of our dead god, to this end we sell ourselves as mercenaries to anyone who isn't Chaos and wander around the realms. Also fire! FIRE! FIREEAHAHAHAHA!'?
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

I really like them, it's a logical evolution of things like the gyrocopter / bombardier, and I find them far more appealing (to me, at least) than the fyreslayers.
    You can't go wrong with steampunk dwarves.

Grudgesettler bombs!
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2017-03-17 at 10:39 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Isn't Fyreslayers' fluff basically 'we're looking to collect all the magical gold that is all that remains of our dead god, to this end we sell ourselves as mercenaries to anyone who isn't Chaos and wander around the realms. Also fire! FIRE! FIREEAHAHAHAHA!'?
    Grimnir (possibly Gotrek, I guess) a God of the World-That-Was, is chained up on a mountain, Prometheus-style. Sigmar releases him, and tells Grimnir to fight one of the Star-Gods, the Fire Dragon Vulcatrix. In one of the most METAL! things to ever happen, the Slayer-God fights the Dragon Fire-God, and they both explode, showering the Realm of Fire in meteors and smashing one of the mountain ranges to bits.

Duardin fluff all goes downhill from there.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I am curremtly in a path to Glory campaign and am getting my ass handed to me. I am playing Beastmen with a Slaanesh lordon a daemonic mount. The biggest problem is the Tzeentch player. With the Lord of Change, he consistantly summons soulgrinders and more lords of change, the only way to beat him is to get within 9 inches of him in the first round, if you go second you lose. Period.

I can't wait until we go back to the map campaign

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    I am curremtly in a path to Glory campaign and am getting my ass handed to me. I am playing Beastmen with a Slaanesh lordon a daemonic mount. The biggest problem is the Tzeentch player. With the Lord of Change, he consistantly summons soulgrinders and more lords of change, the only way to beat him is to get within 9 inches of him in the first round, if you go second you lose. Period.

I can't wait until we go back to the map campaign
    This is why summoning costs points in matched play - If you play narrative/open and don't have houserules on summoning, it's going to be a faceroll 9 times out of 10 for the summoning player unless you can remove all those wizards before they really get any steam up. Unfortunately, as you said, that translates to - before they get a turn, but if you can alpha 2/3 of any army off the table, your list is probably going to do fairly well regardless...

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Ordinarily summoning isn't a problem. But for the Tzeench player is roling 3 dice changing the lowest die to the highest then add 1 to the two highest of that. That makes a normally difficult roll of 10 very easy to summon another lord of change which can then summon

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Ordinarily summoning isn't a problem. But for the Tzeench player is roling 3 dice changing the lowest die to the highest then add 1 to the two highest of that. That makes a normally difficult roll of 10 very easy to summon another lord of change which can then summon
    Ever played against a Nagash? Or Slann?
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

So I don't know why I'm still getting emails from GW... but anyway I see they sent out something on "two new armies" for 40k. Is it just me or are the "Sisters of Silence" just a renaming of "Sisters of Battle?" And more to the point (and why I'm posting here) aren't they basically just Stormcast with more sci-fi swords and the pecs are a bit differently shaped...

It really is like they aren't even trying any more. Their new army is a renamed old army, all of their vehicles are recycled marines, and their infantry are slightly recast models from AoS. They didn't even change the color scheme from the Stormcast.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    Is it just me or are the "Sisters of Silence" just a renaming of "Sisters of Battle?"
    Not even close. They're completely different.

aren't they basically just Stormcast with more sci-fi swords and the pecs are a bit differently shaped...
    Custodes? Yeah. Kind of.

Their new army is a renamed old army
    No they're not.

They didn't even change the color scheme from the Stormcast.
    Except if you knew your 40K fluff, you'd know that Custodes have been gold for like 20 years, and Sisters of Silence have been gold since at least Collected Visions (2007), which is, itself, a compilation book, so the original images would have been produced before then.

EDIT: This post is barely related to Sigmar, so I'll stop.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2017-03-21 at 07:39 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    So I don't know why I'm still getting emails from GW... but anyway I see they sent out something on "two new armies" for 40k. Is it just me or are the "Sisters of Silence" just a renaming of "Sisters of Battle?" And more to the point (and why I'm posting here) aren't they basically just Stormcast with more sci-fi swords and the pecs are a bit differently shaped...

It really is like they aren't even trying any more. Their new army is a renamed old army, all of their vehicles are recycled marines, and their infantry are slightly recast models from AoS. They didn't even change the color scheme from the Stormcast.
    As CG said, Sisters of Silence and Custodes are old concepts that have been in the fluff for ages but only just been given models. Models that are pretty accurate to their art depictions.

Though it is a bit disappointing that they lumped them with standard marine vehicles instead of the grav-rhinos and what have you that they're also supposed to have.
    Last edited by Tome; 2017-03-21 at 08:59 AM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Ever played against a Nagash? Or Slann?
    I thankfully have not. Although I do field a Great Bray Shanan so I can't quite talk too much. Casting roll 9 to get any chaos monster. Behind enemy lines no less.

That said 9 is hard to get off without any boosts

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Did ok at Adepticon AoS events. 3-0 in the first Vanguard, 2-1 in the second, 3-2 in the champs. Ran Hammerstrike force for the 1000 events and Skyborne Slayers with Longstrikes and Fulminators for the 2000, think the Fulminators may have been a mistake overall, but they sure are a hate magnet.

New Stormcast book is quite good. Staunch Defender + Mirrorshield on the General is super strong and the Luckstone makes the Venator's one shot pretty reliable. I only used the Battletrait a couple times, probably should have abused it more. Still, first big tourney with the Stormcast and felt pretty good about it! Hope to start putting up better scores.

Was thinking of starting something new, but with moving and the new edition of both 40k and TGH coming out I think that's a bad idea. Probably just gonna finish painting what I have for now and see what comes at the end of the summer.

Anyone else had noteworthy AoS happenings? The scene is getting pretty strong it seems, more and more events and clubs starting up all the time. How are your clubs and games going?

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

There's an AOS "Kill Team" campaign over easter at my local GW, and I'm thinking of picking up some Wood Elves of some kind to join in. Any thoughts on Glade Guard/Sisters Of The Watch/Shadow Hunters?

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Glade Guard are a bit one-trick. When they pop their -3 Rend shooting, they're one of the most damaging things in the game, but in regular shooting they're pretty average at best. Sisters of the Watch are overall better, but 100 points more expensive is pretty rough. However, double shooting with a better profile and "overwatch" is really solid. Maybe one of each?

I can't find Shadow Hunters anywhere, though. Wildwood Rangers?

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Shadow Hunters are the other thing in the box with the Sisters, but maybe they're High Elves instead?

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ah, I see them now. Under Swifthawk Agents for some reason.

200 for 10 feels a bit steep, but on the other hand they're both capable in melee and ranged, decent move, and essentially have a really powerful Scout move, so that's pretty interesting. I think they could be a cool all-arounder, depending on what points you're playing at.

In small games, I think any of those three options could be pretty good since you can play tricksy and go around with feints and shooting to whittle down most armies before the fighting even starts. Fast things like Destruction moves or Cavalry might force a bit more caution, but that comes down to playstyle. I think it could be great fun though!

Aelves in general seem to have a lot of overpriced infantry, but honestly I'm not familiar enough with their synergies and tricks to say if it's appropriate or not. I would imagine some of them to get a look in GHB2, I think they've priced a bit high on some units that have shooting attacks.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Colossus in the Playground

Why do Bloodthirsters have more wounds than Great Unclean Ones?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Probably because the GUO has more going for it. Ignoring wounds on a 5+, regaining d3 per turn, and it's a Wizard so it always can cast Shield on itself. Plus, Tallyband makes it even harder to attrition down.

But mostly probably because of the new model. I would expect a new GUO to have a massive model and more representative wounds.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

I had my first game of Age Of Sigmar the other day, a scenario game where randomly-controlled monsters spawned in around me and my opponent (with 12 wounds worth of independently-acting models each) as we tried to gather treasure. It felt more than a little flat, really - more fun than i'd had with Kill Team, but perhaps that's because I was winning. A lot of things just felt broken - my shooting got significantly more effective once I got locked in combat, because I wasn't moving so all my "bonus attacks for not moving" effects triggered. I expressed confusion at this, and the blackshirt who was refereeing cheerily said "well, you've got a whole army of Legolas!" I decided not to ask what the rationale was for goblins doing the same thing. I'm probably going to keep playing in this narrative campaign, and I've worked out that I could have a neat 1k points list with only two-three more boxes, but I can't see myself continuing beyond that.

I do like the "keywords" system though - it seems a lot neater than the various "friendly units" "units from the same detachment" "units from the armies of the imperium regardless of detachment but only on a tuesday" qualifiers that 40k is weighed down with. It's probably flexible enough to expand and use more things for over time, such as "Battleline" etc.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    I do like the "keywords" system though
    One of my confusions (it's not a gripe, per se), is that a great many of the Keywords don't appear to mean anything. At least, not in the Order book. I know that Keywords are a big deal in the Chaos book. But, even then, some Keywords don't mean anything in that book, either.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

They don't need to: it's not really like you need to know them by heart. And part of the point is that it categorises it, so you can have something that, say, re-rolls to wounds against Aelves, without needing the equivalent of the bit in the CSM books where they have to print a massive list of space marine factions because nobody actually defined what a Space Marine is.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    I had my first game of Age Of Sigmar the other day, a scenario game where randomly-controlled monsters spawned in around me and my opponent (with 12 wounds worth of independently-acting models each) as we tried to gather treasure. It felt more than a little flat, really - more fun than i'd had with Kill Team, but perhaps that's because I was winning. A lot of things just felt broken - my shooting got significantly more effective once I got locked in combat, because I wasn't moving so all my "bonus attacks for not moving" effects triggered. I expressed confusion at this, and the blackshirt who was refereeing cheerily said "well, you've got a whole army of Legolas!" I decided not to ask what the rationale was for goblins doing the same thing. I'm probably going to keep playing in this narrative campaign, and I've worked out that I could have a neat 1k points list with only two-three more boxes, but I can't see myself continuing beyond that.

I do like the "keywords" system though - it seems a lot neater than the various "friendly units" "units from the same detachment" "units from the armies of the imperium regardless of detachment but only on a tuesday" qualifiers that 40k is weighed down with. It's probably flexible enough to expand and use more things for over time, such as "Battleline" etc.
    Things that feel broken seem to have had their ups and down in the last year of Sigmar. Shooting felt broken, and then less so as melee heavy armies, especially those with extra moves or teleports, became strong. They're pretty good right now, but only in the context of a couple undercosted units (Kurnoth Hunters, Tzaangor Skyfires), most gunline lists don't do that well against meta armies, though I did see a couple Free Peoples armies go 3-2 and 4-1 at Adepticon, so it depends on the players for sure.

What's your Narrative list like? I don't see a lot of Aelves so it sounds cool!

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

My 12-wound "kill team" is:
    Waywatcher (on average 2 wounds per turn with Rend-1, Overkill against hordes but absolutely mullered the Stormcast, Command Ability reduces to-hit),
    four Sisters of The Watch (Shoot twice if they don't move, leader shoots four times, have Overwatch, do bonus Rend against Chaos),
    three Glade Guard (can get treasure, more Narrative than the Shadow Hunters).

The narrative is treasure hunting in an old elven city being consumed by the Realm of the Dead, so it's Illyria's Watch - a small group of hunters and watchwomen venturing into the city for the first time to claim their relics from those who would sell them as trinkets.

My 1000-point list is something like:

Waywatcher
    Nomad Prince
    3x 10 Glade Guard
    10 Sisters
    10 Shadow Hunters
    With something like 100 points left. I've spotted how to get 3+rr save Eternal Guard so might take some of them to camp cover.

I've converted both Waywatcher and Nomad Prince up from Glade Guard parts, and painted a test model of each the sisters and the guard, so I might put some pictures up when i'm home.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2017-04-11 at 09:57 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Sounds like a lot of fun! I want to get in more Narrative stuff, there's a big one in the area in a few months and we're doing a Regiments of Renown league right now so it's a nice change of pace from just Matched all the time.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

One of my confusions (it's not a gripe, per se), is that a great many of the Keywords don't appear to mean anything. At least, not in the Order book. I know that Keywords are a big deal in the Chaos book. But, even then, some Keywords don't mean anything in that book, either.
    I figure it's just future-proofing. It doesn't cost anything to be thorough with keywords now, and it might be helpful later.
    LGBTQIA+ITP