New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Could 90s Music suck any more?

If you give up, the answer is upside-down at the bottom of this post.

OK, I realise that not every song released in the 90's sucked. Don't jump on my.

Seriously though. My work plays Sirius (Satellite Radio) 9 which plays 90s music. I never realised how much music from the 90s sucked. I mean, it's awful in the extreme.
    The best songs they play are Red Hot Chili Peppers and various bad covers of 80s songs. Yes worse version of 80s songs are still better than the majority of the rest of 90s music. Jeez, no wonder rap got popular.

Anyway my venting is done so this is a 90s music discussion thread.

Answer: ou
    Last edited by Rowanomicon; 2007-10-05 at 10:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    You are a god
    Many thanks to Bisected8 for the Jokertar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Could 902 Mucis suck any more?

Whoaaa....the 90's are my favorite era of music (probably biased because I have so much nostalgia towards the 90's). There was seriously some great stuff going on in this time period if you look a little deeper. Don't let sirius define the 90's for you. I have it too, and hate most of the stuff on there.

The third wave of ska started in the 90's and became mainstream for a little while (Reel Big Fish, Mighty Mighty Bosstones) which are still inspiring some great new ska bands today.

There was also the whole post-grunge thing going on and some great lyrics/songs were being written. Third Eye Blind, Tonic, Ninedays, Semisonic etc. (Only a few good songs came from most of these, although I listen to every Third Eye Blind song at least twice a day)

And I don't know how you cn say the 90's music was the worst era with todays music going on
    Proud owner of an Abaratar

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Could 90s Music suck any more?

Well I'm sure there was some good music in the 90s, but this radio station is seriously annoying. I mean, I'm actually thankful for the days they decide to play the 80s station. Yeah, it's that bad.

Today's music also seriously sucks, or at least a lot of it does.
    Of course this station in, I'm sure, almost entirely hits. Over the last couple musics popularity has usually had a direct, and inverse, relationship with its quality.
    You are a god

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

I think that it's important to keep in mind that the majority of music from any era is crap. The bands that have survived obscurity have done so only because they were above and beyond all of the other drek.
    "We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke,and a presumption that once our eyes watered."

5. - Top - End - #5

True, the majority of music is crap, but in my opinion there was a lot more quality music produced in the 60s or 70s than the 80s or 90s (or the 2000s so far). What I was surprised to find out is that it's now seeming to me that even the 80s produced more good music (in my taste) than the 90s.
    You are a god

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

You only realized this now? I've said it for as long as I could remember, and people got on to me for it. Who's laughing now?

No one, that's who; I feel pretty sad now that Rock 'n' Roll is dead, even though it was the '80's that did most of the work in killing it.
    Glorious Chaiman Kaga avatar by the impeccable Kalirush!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I'm not much of a 90's guy either. Now, I like RHCP, and Nirvana, and Guns N' Roses, but those are really the only stuff I love from the 90's. 80's was good, 70's was awesome, 60's were awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

8. - Top - End - #8

DwarfClericGuy

Guns and Roses was 90s band? Total 80s and like some other rock bands had a run in the early 90s.

I didnt like 90 main stream music. When alternative became a style, and was really main stream. To be polite my I called it rooster rock. Ok the other word for rooster. Todays bands like greenday and what ever els is played on the radio that is called rock & roll. Well the rooster got snipped. Seriosly why cant any one sing like they have pasted puberty?

Oh I forgot to mention. Every album Metalica has made after the black has sucked so bad black is now rather good.
    Last edited by Hawriel; 2007-10-06 at 02:52 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Metal and punk were still pretty strong in the Nineties; pop has never been good so no change there; the real issue is basic rock, which split more than before, and some of that split ended up with good music as an end product and some... didn't.

Avatar by ben101; absolutely fine work.

"I am Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my works, ye might, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias

10. - Top - End - #10

And when you think that kind of music is dead and buried, the Spice Girls decide to reform to try and ressurect it .
    Own it, pwn it, nuke it, sheep it, eat it, quick re -right it, Joe it, turn it, turnip, pimp it, gimp it, dot it, rock it, spec re - spec it...

I'm bringing smexy back

As a Warblade, I'm pimp as hell.

Big up kpenguin for the chronic Avatar.

Powergaming - because you can't roleplay when your dead.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him dominate the World

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumJester View Post
    And when you think that kind of music is dead and buried, the Spice Girls decide to reform to try and ressurect it .
    And I'm just waiting for that hellband of furies to become the major music in all the gay bars. Oh god no...

"I am Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my works, ye might, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by OzymandiasPBS View Post
    And I'm just waiting for that hellband of furies to become the major music in all the gay bars. Oh god no...
    God their music really did does suck. And they are such wash ups now as well.

No I don't want to be your lover because your 35 and fugly .
    Own it, pwn it, nuke it, sheep it, eat it, quick re -right it, Joe it, turn it, turnip, pimp it, gimp it, dot it, rock it, spec re - spec it...

I'm bringing smexy back

As a Warblade, I'm pimp as hell.

Big up kpenguin for the chronic Avatar.

Powergaming - because you can't roleplay when your dead.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him dominate the World

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

90s rap was pretty good though.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

14. - Top - End - #14

ClericGirl

I like nineties music, but that's pure nostalgia for the End of History. Though at least they didn't have anything as viscerally annoying as, say, "Hey Hey You You I Don't Like Your Girlfriend".

My favorite genre is folk/traditional from the '40s back to the Saxon invasion of England, though, so I'm not really the best judge of popular music by decades.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumJester View Post
    God their music really did does suck. And they are such wash ups now as well.

No I don't want to be your lover because your 35 and fugly .
    I wouldn't have suggested it, since I suspect you are 40 :P

Rap is never and has never been good, so the 90s was like any other time for it.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

In the more non-mainstream genres the 90ies weren't so bad... Metal or Celtic, for instance, fared okay.
    The mainstream music... well, there were some okay songs, but overall, yeah, could've been better.

Quote Originally Posted by DomaDoma View Post
    I like nineties music, but that's pure nostalgia for the End of History. Though at least they didn't have anything as viscerally annoying as, say, "Hey Hey You You I Don't Like Your Girlfriend".
    Oh, I so, so very much loathe that song. And the video qualifies as the worst piece of drek I have seen recently. The basic moral of that song is: Beautiful people should get what they want, less good-looking ones are inferior subhumans who don't matter and should get hurt for amusement.
    Despicable.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rowanomicon View Post
    True, the majority of music is crap, but in my opinion there was a lot more quality music produced in the 60s or 70s than the 80s or 90s (or the 2000s so far). What I was surprised to find out is that it's now seeming to me that even the 80s produced more good music (in my taste) than the 90s.
    I don't think this is true -- I think that every generation is going to turn out the same number of excellent musicians in every genre. What might be true is that it's harder for the great acts nowadays to get airplay because the marketing is around pretty children who can dance and not so much around any Bob Dylans or Janis Joplins who might be playing in some coffeehouse looking for a break. (Not that they don't exist today, and also not that overhyped bands haven't existed forever.)

I don't know -- I got through the nineties okay. I suppose I was listening to TMBG and Barenaked Ladies and Sheryl Crow and Christine Lavin, plus probably a lot of the "classic rock" stations of that era. Your mileage may vary, of course.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    In the more non-mainstream genres the 90ies weren't so bad... Metal or Celtic, for instance, fared okay.
    The mainstream music... well, there were some okay songs, but overall, yeah, could've been better.
    Pretty much correct. I could count dozens upon dozens of my favorite bands who really started or at least continued to shine in the 90s, as well as some excellent bands who were formed or came out during that time. Hell, my second and third favorite studio album as well as my favorite live album were all recorded in the 90s. They're certainly on a par with the 80s for me.

But yes, mainstream music reached new levels of crappiness. Then again that's still going on just as strong now.
    Last edited by Lord of the Helms; 2007-10-06 at 09:35 AM.
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Rowanomicon View Post
    Yes worse version of 80s songs are still better than the majority of the rest of 90s music.
    I refuse to believe that. Almost any music is better than 80s music. Synthesizers make me want to cry on the inside.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    I refuse to believe that. Almost any music is better than 80s music. Synthesizers make me want to cry on the inside.
    Scuse me, but Queen, Pink Floyd (their few 80s albums) and (most of all) Iron bloody Maiden. Products of the 80s and some of the most awesome music produced in, like, ever.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hawriel View Post
    Guns and Roses was 90s band? Total 80s and like some other rock bands had a run in the early 90s.

I didnt like 90 main stream music. When alternative became a style, and was really main stream. To be polite my I called it rooster rock. Ok the other word for rooster. Todays bands like greenday and what ever els is played on the radio that is called rock & roll. Well the rooster got snipped. Seriosly why cant any one sing like they have pasted puberty?

Oh I forgot to mention. Every album Metalica has made after the black has sucked so bad black is now rather good.
    I consider the "real" Guns N' Roses to be from Appetite (1987) to when they fired Slash (1996).
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Porcupine Tree.

Agalloch.

Your argument is invalid.
    Last edited by Shadow of the Sun; 2007-10-06 at 09:44 AM.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

23. - Top - End - #23

Scuse me, but Queen, Pink Floyd (their few 80s albums) and (most of all) Iron bloody Maiden. Products of the 80s and some of the most awesome music produced in, like, ever.
    Meh Pink Floyd's last great album was the Wall and that was still in the 70s, granted very close to the 80s, but 70s nonetheless.

I will admit 80s has some good music from choice bands, but overall 80s music bothers me.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    Meh Pink Floyd's last great album was the Wall and that was still in the 70s, granted very close to the 80s, but 70s nonetheless.

I will admit 80s has some good music from choice bands, but overall 80s music bothers me.
    ...Momentary Lapse, sir, is one of the great Floyd albums. 1987.

25. - Top - End - #25

Nonsense!

I think we have to agree to disagree, because I don't see this conversation going much further than:

"80s music is awesome"
    "Nu uh"
    "Yeah uh"
    "Nu uh"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

You are, in all likelihood, correct; can we agree, however, that almost all 90s music (especially pop and mainstream) is awful?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Rap is never and has never been good, so the 90s was like any other time for it.
    Are you sure you're not me in disguise?

Anyway. Mainstream was crappy in the nineties, but it still is. What's bad about the nineties is that, since it was not so long ago, the bad music is not entirely forgotten yet. Let's wait 10-20 years and barely anyone will remember Spice Girls and other crap.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

In the 90s: metal finally did away with big hair and gave rise to grunge, rap exploded with some genuinely classic albums before succumbing to its own success, in the UK there was the tantalising Battle of the Bands between Blur and Oasis as Britpop took off, and it was a veritable golden age for dance and techno.

How can anyone possibly write this decade off as awful?
    The Omnians were a God-fearing people. They had a great deal to fear.
    -Terry Pratchett

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Om View Post
    In the 90s: metal finally did away with big hair and gave rise to grunge, rap exploded with some genuinely classic albums before succumbing to its own success, in the UK there was the tantalising Battle of the Bands between Blur and Oasis as Britpop took off, and it was a veritable golden age for dance and techno.

Blur and Oasis are not so much music as poor attempts thereat, Britpop is worse, grunge is just boring compared to heavy, rap... I will say no more, and dance and techno? Dance and techno? Gods. The less said the better, there.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Om View Post

Anybody who didn't care about these particular music genres could.
    As I said - for alternative genres, the 90ies weren't a bad time, quite the contrary in some cases. Note how none of the genres you mentioned is exactly mainstream proper.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll