New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Attack on Titan / Shingeki No Kyojin: What's for Lunch?

I'm with the Eldian skeptics on this.. You don't slaughter a hundred soldiers if you want to ally with them. Zeke is full of...
    Or at least I would be, if I was more confident in the writing. Eh, it's fine.

I guess Paradis gets a three year tech revolution and then Eren decides "to hell with it"? How could they ever let him get into Marley in the first place?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I'm with the Eldian skeptics on this.. You don't slaughter a hundred soldiers if you want to ally with them. Zeke is full of...
    Or at least I would be, if I was more confident in the writing. Eh, it's fine.

I guess Paradis gets a three year tech revolution and then Eren decides "to hell with it"? How could they ever let him get into Marley in the first place?
    People process war in different ways. That is why it is war, both in how wars start and why wars continue until they stop. There is no meeting of the minds with war so violence is done in order to enforce your sovereignty, your space, your will, etc.

People can change, of course when they change there is a triggering event / feeling / sentiment and we do not know what that event / feeling / sentiment is but just because we do not see it does not mean it does not exist. (Especially since Attack on Titan loves its mystery-box, a mystery-box that only makes sense with new information or with a flashback to an event we did not see earlier.)

So Zeke may be authentic, or it may be a trap, we do not know all we have is subjective gut feelings. But there are many reasons why Zeke may change. Knowing you have 4 years or life left (now how many months left after the time skip) until your demise does cause people to organize towards reality in different ways. Some people when death is on the horizon think about legacy. Other humans think about other things, people are different that is the one true universal with humans.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

But the majority of the new chapter happens before the time skip, and presumably not long after the fight with Zeke. So if he changed his mind after that he sure created that underground faction pretty fast. Unless I'm misinterpreting part of the timeline here.
    But we'll see how things go or if we learn more.
    "What's done is done."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

But the majority of the new chapter happens before the time skip, and presumably not long after the fight with Zeke. So if he changed his mind after that he sure created that underground faction pretty fast. Unless I'm misinterpreting part of the timeline here.
    But we'll see how things go or if we learn more.
    To my understanding the timeline is like this.

• Year 850-Most of the Manga takes place in this year, from the Battle of Trost (the attempted collapse of Wall Rose) to the Battle of Shiganshina District (the repair of Wall Maria.)
    • Less than a year after the Battle of Shiganshina District. The Warriors return to Marley, and Marley becomes aware of the lost of two titans (Female and Colossal, Marley has recaptured Jaw, and still has Armored, Beast, Cart, and Warhammer Titan.) Somehow not yet revealed (but probably spies) the Mid-East Alliance learns that Marley has lost two titans and declares war on Marley.
    • Year 851-Between 850 and 851 the Survey Corps were killing titans between wall Maria and wall Rose both by hunting but more importantly using the Titan Guillotine. By the end of Winter 851 no more titans were killed with the Guillotine and Shiganshina District was repopulated. After the re-population of Shiganshina District it is only then that the Survey Corps left the 3 walls and go to the Ocean. Barely any titans existed between the Ocean and the 3 walls for during the time Wall Maria was breached almost all the titans moved away from the ocean and towards where the people were which is where the 3 walls were.
    • Sometime after the war between Marley and the Mid East has started Zeke creates a resistance group. This has to occur in year 850 or 851 but we do not know when during this 24 month period.
    • 3 years prior to 854, Eren and the Survey Corps make contact with Zeke's resistance group.
    • 854 The war between Marley and the Mid East Alliance Ends.
    • 854 The battle of Liberio which is located in Marley's soil.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

New Chapter 107, July 2018. It is a long chapter.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh man... that last page.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

It kinda drives home just how horrible you need to be, to keep the titan power under your control.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Well, that's what you get for being (female) royalty in the middle ages. Sucks.

What also sucks... two idiot reveals. I mean, sorry, but 1) we get that tattoo nobody ever talked about or was hinted at or anything. But fine, Mikasa, just doesn't trust anyone or whatever. I don't care if she's secretly royalty or whatever, if it drives your plot forward.
    What I DO care about is your friggin' sudden reveal about the 3DMG. 107 chapters in and only now you think it might be relevant about the strange stuff that powers it? Seriously? Why, because you now need to give them I guess the means to build their equivalent of a nuke? At least that's what part of the discussion sounded like. I mean, seriously, I call b***s*** about this being planned in anyway in advance. Then you'd have made SOME mention on the stuff at some point before it and not pretended 'it just works'.
    Also, that talk between Hange and Eren was equally... "You said it twice. That means you'll do it again?" I know Hange can be weird but no, that's not how talking to yourself works And Eren, I'm pretty sure they can figure out a way to put you down, don't be such an arrogant prick. Unless you want to be an enemy of the state maybe stop acting like one.
    "What's done is done."

9. - Top - End - #279
    Barbarian in the Playground

Actually...

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm pretty sure the tattoo was mentioned during Mikasa's past, and it was also mentioned how the 3DMG needed some kind of unique natural resource that was present in big quantity in the center of Paradis territory (I don't think they said it was a crystal until now, though). Also, the "Earth-flattening weapon" isn't an actual nuke, it's how they're calling the plan to unleash every single Wall Titan upon the rest of the world.
    Last edited by Cozzer; 2018-07-13 at 01:39 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I'll concede the point on Mikasa due to my poor memory.
    But regarding the rocks, unless proven otherwise I'll insist that there have been at best vague mentions of fuel or steam but nothing on rare ressources or even something so obviously useful. Of course, feel free to correct me if I'm again forgetting something.
    As for the weapon.. I know it referred to the titans before but the new chapter seems more vague on it. But maybe that was just because the two topics followed each other so closely at least zeke sure made it sound as if there's more to the rocks than we know. But I guess I likely misread that part the first time.
    "What's done is done."

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

Mikasa Tattoo and she having a bandage that covers it is nothing new. In fact we seen the Bandage since Chapter 5. Chapter 5 of the Manga is when during the Trost Arc the Collosal Titan penetrates the 2nd wall (wall rose) at the location of Trost but not the 2nd penetration of the other side of Trost for the warriors were trying to lure out the Founding Titan.

During Chapter 5 Mikasa gets angry at a merchant prioritizing stuff / food over human people and Mikasa gets angry. A mother and daughter are grateful to Mikasa's intervention with the Merchant. This gratefulness then starts a flashback in Chapter 5 of how Mikasa was told to hide the mark from her mother.

What I am saying this information is not really new information it is just a combination of being so long ago (literally told 8 years ago in real world time) combined with it not seeming salient at that time and thus it "snuck up on people" including myself

Later on in the next chapter (#6) we continue the flashback of Mikasa's past and we see Mikasa and Eren meeting due to the death of Mikasa's parents followed by Eren trying to save Mikasa and also Mikasa triggering her Ackerman blood.

---------

Now the anime is a separate thing from the Manga. It seems the tattoo / clan symbol was cut from the anime but most of the events I detailed occur in episode 6 of the anime. Perhaps the clan symbol is shown in a different episode but I do not see it in episode 6 with a quick reviewing (note I was skipping around instead of watching all 20 minutes of episode.)

---------

Now the Iceburst stone has been mentioned a couple times before but often it is not the stone that is mentioned but the gas that the stone produces. The most prominent mention that connects the Iceburst stone to the Gas the 3D Maneuvering Gear is in the Attack on Titan Guidebook. There may be other references in some of the spin off works such as the attack on titan prequel comic (Attack on Titan: Before the Fall.) That said the importance of Iceburst Stone was barely hinted at before, but this is the nature of the Attack on Titan Manga. For example the Thunder Spear Tech is a modified form of the Anti-Personnel Vertical Maneuvering Equipment meant to fight humans and not titans, and the Anti-Personnel Vertical Maneuvering Equipment is in turn a modified 3DMG. Us learning that the stones is important not just the gas is a another similar (but not the same) progression as what I just described.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Attack on Titan Season 3 has started.

The subbed version is currently out (episode 38), one episode per week. But the dubbed version of Attack on Titan Season 3 will not start airing episodes until August 18th on Toonami.

13. - Top - End - #283

The title of the thread reminded me of a tweet I had to give two Evil Thumbs Up to:

Happy Mother's Day.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

New manga chapter does anyone have any thoughts?

15. - Top - End - #285

The rift between Eren and the rest of the Survery Corps is huge.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure what the point is... And the bad thing is, I'm not curious because I feel like I will be disappointed either way. My best guess is, Eren just is neither a good protagonist nor a good person, or at least a damn stupid one. Or a dirty liar. Or he has some "plan" and we're supposed to symphathize with him when it's revealed. But... I'm not holding my breath for that happening.
    But at least they give an explanation why their elite soldiers do stupid manual labor. And they give some kind of excuse why everyone understands each other.
    "What's done is done."

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not sure what the point is... And the bad thing is, I'm not curious because I feel like I will be disappointed either way. My best guess is, Eren just is neither a good protagonist nor a good person, or at least a damn stupid one. Or a dirty liar. Or he has some "plan" and we're supposed to symphathize with him when it's revealed. But... I'm not holding my breath for that happening.
    But at least they give an explanation why their elite soldiers do stupid manual labor. And they give some kind of excuse why everyone understands each other.
    One thing with storytelling is sometimes you want a person to relate to a protagonists even if they do not want to have them relate completely. Aka the protagonist is a mirror to explore your own self in a compare and contrast fashion via empathy (which is different than sympathy.) This is one of the reasons why anti heroes tv shows are popular. You can empathize with the anti hero while at the same time realize you would not do the same things, you have other priorities but you can empathize and understand why someone feels a certain way. It is a way to identify emotions inside of yourself that are not the primary (and thus the strongest emotion) and thus get a more nuanced viewpoint of how you work.

What I am saying is when you empathize with a protagonist / character you identify at least one part of the character which is "like me" even if many aspects of the character is "NOT like me". With empathy you are identify with the person's emotions, not their behavior, not how they interact with the world.

Sympathy is different and there are dozens of definitions of sympathy. But one definition sympathy is you feel the same thing as the other person, aka when the person is sad you pity them and you feel sorrowful, when a person gains a boon you take pleasure in their joys. Often we find the people we are sympathetic to as being likable and we see ourselves as allies with them. In fact the sym- prefix actually literally means this we are "with / together / in company with" we are one another's accomplice.

----

I think right now the writter is trying to make us Empathetic with Eren but very much not Sympathetic with Eren. Eren has his reasons and we need to acknowledge his reasons, but we are not supposed to see ourselves as allies directly with him, for Eren has specifically cut himself off from his allies, he does not try to explain his behavior, his feelings, his thoughts and he is leaving his allies in the dark.

We as audience members seeing this feel rejected and ignored even though we are not participants in the story. We as audience members of the story feel frustrated by this experience, yet part of us inside of us feels this is a mystery we have to unwrap in order to understand Eren.

----

Like I said before many anti-hero protagonist stories in TV work similarly to this. For many anti-heroes stories in TV are men "apart" from society. Hell it is not just a male thing, it is also a female thing. The reason why Carrie Bradshaw in Sex and the City is an interesting character is we empathize with her, even though we do not sympathize with her. Carrie Bradshaw is a female anti-hero story (her 3 friends though are typical heroes though, flawed beings yes but they are trying to be more heroic.)

Carrie Bradshaw allows us to see the road not taken, and after we learn from her we try to integrate these different stories into a single essence that is better than the status quo. Take the best and remove the worst.

But hey conflict is part of Attack on Titan, for conflict drives advancement, much like the Greek Philospher Heracltius metaphor of a Bow and Arrow, or what Attack on Titan 1st opening calls Guren no Yumiya (Crimson Bow and Arrow.)

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

So has anybody been watching Attack on Titan Season 3 so far? Is it good? I been waiting to watch it later for I been busy.

19. - Top - End - #289

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    So has anybody been watching Attack on Titan Season 3 so far? Is it good? I been waiting to watch it later for I been busy.
    Saw the first couple of episodes. They switched things around a little so it's more streamlined. I've liked what I've seen so far. I'm not big on the new opener though.

Still, they did one change that you would think would be huge in upcoming parts...

Spoiler
    Show
    The 1st Brigade Gunslinging MPs had tranquilizer darts that knocked out Eren fairly quickly.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

New Attack on Titan Chapter

Spoiler: Attack on Titan 110
    Show
    My theory is that is not the gas that can change humans into titans, but instead it must just be ingested orally such as Zeke's spinal fluid in the wine. I say this misdirection occurred for also in this same chapter we have someone point out to tell a tale to someone interrogating you, you have to include some truth in it.

Meanwhile Levi is interrogating Zeke and he is both having Zeke repeat the story (looking for mistakes in the retelling) but also trying to get inside of Zeke's head and Levi I believe is someone who could do this but also Zeke is very uncomfortable with Levi's questions.

There may be something about the Gas though, for example the spinal fluid in liquid may allow Zeke to control them as humans and the follow up gas turns them into Titans.

21. - Top - End - #291

Nothing like division before an upcoming battle.

Spoiler
    Show
    And did I spy with my little eye Pieck in that last panel?

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    So do we think that Eren is being controlled or at least very heavily influenced? One thing I would like to mention is that Eren told Hange he could escape at any time. And this chapter we see him do it. Was he trying to warn her? If he was that would certainly point to him being controlled and trying to fight it.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

23. - Top - End - #293
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: Spoilers for latest chapter
    Show
    Nah, I think he's just gone full Kiritsugu: he thinks the only way this can be solved is by doing horrible things, and he's isolating himself from the people he really cares about so that he doesn't drag them down with him while he does the horrible things. That said, if he wants to get to Zeke, we might see a Eren vs Levi soon...

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

New Chapter, this original post chapter is relevant. I will post my thoughts later after I get some sleep for maybe that will cause new insight.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I guess Paradise is in fact so tiny you cannot throw a stone without hitting someone connected to you....

Spoiler
    Show

Seriously, we get it, revenge is bad. We don't need a contrived coincidence for that...

Also, I guess working against a conspiracy in your military is also revenge now? Or are we supposed to not agree with Picis? Because going after criminals is not evil. And giving in to their threats because it's the smaller evil is at best... debatable. I'm not sure if I'll be happy with how this will likely end.

Finally: Ew. Also, wouldn't that cause quick titanification?
    "What's done is done."

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Just ingesting isn't enough to titanify someone. It still needs a trigger. Now injecting it into the brainstem as we see in the flashback does seem to be enough to do the job.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

27. - Top - End - #297
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Well, I guess Paradise is in fact so tiny you cannot throw a stone without hitting someone connected to you....

Spoiler
    Show

Seriously, we get it, revenge is bad. We don't need a contrived coincidence for that...

Also, I guess working against a conspiracy in your military is also revenge now? Or are we supposed to not agree with Picis? Because going after criminals is not evil. And giving in to their threats because it's the smaller evil is at best... debatable. I'm not sure if I'll be happy with how this will likely end.

Finally: Ew. Also, wouldn't that cause quick titanification?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pixis is probably being a bit misleading in some way. From the framing of the scene it seems to hint that Ambassador Kiyomi is in on Zeke's plot (the discussion that more members of the faction might be right in front of their eyes and talking about people exploding or blowing up with Kiyomi focused on right in the middle of the convo) and Pixis suspected that hence his big show of 'surrendering' in front of her.

However, I also suspect Onyankopon is another one that's in on Zeke's plot only he does a good job of hiding it. He was shown immediately after Pixis commenting to Yelena in an earlier chapter that you need to mix in lies with truth to be believable, and when the Survey Corps first meet up with Nikolai in this chapter, he only calms down when Onyankopon speaks to him. He's also shown looking at Hange when she comments that Zeke & Yelena likely have an 'insurance plan' ready.

Regarding Zeke's spinal fluid, it doesn't seem to cause an immediate transformation, just 'etches them with a coordinate' that he can trigger later, unlike a normal titan injection or lapping up of fluid as seen with Rod. Whether it's because his fluid is taken from him in human rather than titan form, or if it's a special property of his spinal fluid, or whether the rest of the titan serum we've seen is mixed and crafted from other components as well as titan spinal fluid, I'm not sure.

I also think that the gas was both used to get it into all the villagers of Ragako with ease ensuring every single person there was afflicted, and also to administer a knock-out drug mixed into the gas. I think that a drug was also used on the prisoners that Marley dropped on the battle field earlier as well so they wouldn't fight back or struggle before Zeke titanized them with his command. Zeke seemed to hint that his spinal fluid caused the knockout with the gas but I think this is what Levi picked up as being misleading, when in truth his fluid has no visible effect on someone at all until he activates it.
    You were born an original. Don't die a copy.
    -- John Mason.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

New Chapter
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, crap. Zeke really planned this out well. All but one of his guards are now Titians. Eren has gone around the bend and things are turning to &*^&%$ real fast.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

So Dec's Chapter, Chapter 112

Spoiler: Attack on Titan Chapter 112
    Show

So I think it is obvious that for the final story Attack on Titan / the manga writter Hajime Isayama ...

is going with the Free Will vs Free Won't^(Free Will Not) debate.

Aka do we have [true] agency or limited agency?

Can we create our motivations ex nihlio out of nothing? Or we can not create our motivations ex nihilio but we can recontextualize and redirect our motivations via using other motivations and creating a 3rd path that was separate from the original two motivations.

-----

If my prediction is correct, it is necessary to have the titans hosts remain separated (to allow multiple paths, and not a domination of paths via the founder or collecting multiple paths in one host), or the paths itself have to be destroyed. Else humans are a slave to the people with power and the paths inside the titans hosts give these 9 people power over the rest of the human population.

If "one person" controls all the powerful cards we become a slave to that person for they can just dominate the world. Even technology does not really fix the problem, all it does it create a new way to dominate. The problem is inherent in humanity.

What was the opening narration again?

"And just like that, everything changed. /
    At that terrible moment, in our hearts, we knew. /
    Home was a pen. /
    Humanity, cattle."
    And that is what the survey corps are all about, finding new homes, new strongholds, new opportunities, and through these "risks" we are not truly cattle for we have new paths, new opportunities so we are not slave to the existing powers that be.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Ugh, I'm not sure why but I really don't like Eren suddenly turning all philosophical. And frankly, I don't care for the Ackerman twist either. I tend to say any explanation is better than no explanation but now...
    Also, the survey core is apparently pretty stupid, as is Zeke because he forgot how their last fight went and he's not really in a better position now. But I guess he got plot on his side now.
    I'm just curious whom he's working for.
    "What's done is done."