New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Thread XXVI: Pokemon Go Outside. Please. Just Go outside. We're begging you.

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    Get rid of Geodude. You've already got Dugtrio and there are a ton of mons in the E4 that will crush the poor mon to pebbles. Also, Erika's gym is gonna be a huge pain. You have a decent type spread... but I would recommend that you pick up a fire type. Since you have LeafGreen, I'll recommend Vulpix. And consider replacing Gyarados with Staryu, because Gyarados has terrible special attack, so it's a poor choice for water and ice type moves, both which you'll want. Both Vulpix and Staryu evolve with stones though, so make sure you've got the moves you want on em before evolving. Or know which TMs to look out for. Flamethrower and Ice Beam are musts.

Finally, I would suggest getting an electric type. There's tons to pick from, but Jolteon is cute and has high speed and special attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    I'd have to agree with these suggestions. Geodude's cool and all, but you won't have access to his fully-evolved form since you can't trade, and Dugtrio is actually really strong.

You have the same problem with Kadabra, you won't be able to evolve him to Alakazam, though Kadabra is still a decently strong psychic type.

You'll definitely want some fire and ice coverage, and possibly something that can fly. You can look up moves like Flamethrower, Ice Beam and Fly on the attackdex on serebii, it'll tell you what learns them, either by level up or by TM.

Staryu/Starmie is solid, and would replace both Kadabra and Gyrados, as it can learn Surf, Ice Beam and Psychic. Jolteon is probably the middle of the classic three Eeveelutions, but Flareon, cute as it is, is kind of trash.

Vulpix/Ninetales is good, but as noted you need a stone to evolve them, same as Jolteon. But I think you can find them or even outright buy them easily enough in LG, been a while. Otherwise, anything with a good Speical Attack that can learn Flamethrower would cover you there. Oddly enough, Nidoking is very solid, it has balanced stats and learn a lot of both physical and special attacks, though it would be another ground type, albeit more versatile than Dugtrio.
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    Spoiler: Surge solution
    Show
    There are two switches, but they appear randomly, and worse if you don't activate them one after the other the switches reset and randomly go under completely different trash cans. All you need to know is that the second switch is ALWAYS adjacent to the first. Sometimes the second switch even spawns under an empty trash can you checked before finding the first one.

Also you don't technically HAVE to fight Surge now. You only need Misty's badge to progress to Rock Tunnel. And once you open up the paths to Saffron travel is easy between the five central cities even without Fly (which is what Surge's badge is for). You can even skip Celadon's gym until the very end too, even though it's not really as difficult as the last two.

As far as team-building, other people have got that covered. You can buy evolution stones in Celadon, but before you use any check Serebii or another guide. With stone-based evolutions, usually it's the unevolved form that learns all the moves. When you get an Eevee I second Jolteon. Vaporeon might be better from a type and stat standpoint, but there are so many excellent water types to choose from and only a few okay electric types.

Make sure you get a Pokemon you don't mind wasting a move slot to learn Flash soon (and make sure you get the HM05 from the other side of the Diglett Tunnel). You can technically get through Rock Tunnel without it, but it's a huge enough pain already. Keep Dugtrio until at least Celadon. You might need that Dig ability to get out of Rock Tunnel.
    Thanks for the suggestions, all!

Better learn early to not get too attached to my pokemon. Gotta replace them to build a better and better overall team (and specialized teams, for that matter).
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Thread XXVI: Pokemon Go Outside. Please. Just Go outside. We're begging you.

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, all!

Better learn early to not get too attached to my pokemon. Gotta replace them to build a better and better overall team (and specialized teams, for that matter).
    You have a problem I haven't had for ages: you're filling up your team very quickly and then have to replace them as new stuff appears. Nowadays I'm content to not have a full team until the end of Victory Road.

Oh, and there's a way around the pawprints not working. This site tells you the exact location of nearby pokemon, with despawn timers, even better than trying to follow pawprints if you can get it to work.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

3. - Top - End - #273

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    You have a problem I haven't had for ages: you're filling up your team very quickly and then have to replace them as new stuff appears. Nowadays I'm content to not have a full team until the end of Victory Road.

Oh, and there's a way around the pawprints not working. This site tells you the exact location of nearby pokemon, with despawn timers, even better than trying to follow pawprints if you can get it to work.
    :O

That site is amazing.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

Hello all, I have an issue I'm hoping you can help me with.

A good friend of mine asked if there were any pokemon I'd like to have as a Shiny. I replied "Yep, Riolu!". He then graciously set-off to breed me one, and got it in under 400 tries(pretty amazing if you ask me).

Anyways, we exchanged friend codes and added each other. We are both online right now, we've both hit the "connect to internet" button while on the PSS screen(oddly enough, this very much bit of common sense seems to be the overwhelming source of frustration for people), and yet we are both showing up as offline, despite the fact that we are both talking to each other right now, and we know for a fact both of us are online, in-game.

This is driving us both nuts. Both of our internet is working(I just downloaded this months mystery gift pokemon "Shaymin", and he just traded with someone last night), and yet we keep showing up as offline. Any ideas?

And nevermind. My wife actually figured it out, and shortly after she did, I remembered how it got like that. The settings in-game were all set to offline and what not because when I first started playing X, it would continuously pop up asking me if I wanted to go online, was driving me nuts, so I unclicked everything I saw to make it stop.

I now have my shiny riolu! So happy :)
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2016-07-21 at 10:38 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Bugbear in the Playground

Today was quite a day for new Pokemon for me. Hatched an egg into a Clefairy, managed to get enough Geodudes to evolve into a Gravleler (only to immedeately run into a Geodude that had a higher CP then the Gravleler ended up...), and managed to find an Onix... that was only a CP of 14, 14. The best though was running into a Tauros. As much as I dislike most Normal Pokemon, for some reason Tauros always was one of the ones I've thought more fondly of.

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    That's what I do anyway, cause I don't want to be stuck with Flash, then again I also don't teach my pokemon fly anymore cause I also don't want to be stuck with fly. (well I keep one in the PC for it, but I don't carry a pokemon with fly otherwise)
    As a rule I always have a Flying type in my team somewhere. All the other spots can shift around from type to type to adapt to what the game throws at me, but Flying types are a staple. So that being said of all the HMs Fly never was one I would think to be an inconvenience. I mean it's not that bad of a move for an HM move and the out of battle benefit is just so convenient.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

I think Bewear is awesome. The name fits pretty well, too.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

7. - Top - End - #277

Guess what I downloaded yesterday!
    Unfortunately, I seem to have picked a bad time to start out, 'cause it's crazy hot around here. I went out on my first hunt 'early' this morning, hoping to beat the heat. Partial success. I was also planning to just go out for like half an hour only to end up roaming around for a full hour. Conveniently, there's a church right across the street that is both a pokestop and a gym.
    Some notable problems.
    For one I don't think the GPS coverage is great around here, because a lot of the time, once I stopped walking, I wouldn't be able to start walking again, so I ended up having to stop and restart the app over and over.
    For another, the AR doesn't work with my phone! I don't know why, but every time I turn it on it just says it can't detect my phone's orientation, which is super-lame, because catching pokemon in the real world is kinda half the appeal, you know?
    I don't know what the 'rustling grass' things are supposed to be. I assumed you had to get close then tap them to reveal a pokemon, and I thought it worked like that the first time, but then the spot didn't go away, and wouldn't do it again, and none of the other three produced pokemon at all.
    I'm not entirely certain how the CP relates to the little arc overhead. For example, I have a Jynx with CP 23 whose arc is all the way to the left, and one with CP 71 whose arc is almost halfway across. Is there any way to determine which is the better investment without actually spending a power-up on both and seeing how much they change? Or should I just not bother with power ups until I start catching pokemon with higher CPs?
    My usual strategy in pokemon is to just pick a main and power-level it up until it can solo the elite four, but I don't think that's going to work with this game.
    Also, whenever the app times out, it breaks my wallpaper, which is annoying, but not intolerable.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BiblioRook View Post

As a rule I always have a Flying type in my team somewhere. All the other spots can shift around from type to type to adapt to what the game throws at me, but Flying types are a staple. So that being said of all the HMs Fly never was one I would think to be an inconvenience. I mean it's not that bad of a move for an HM move and the out of battle benefit is just so convenient.
    Good for you.

edit:

I do think that the last Go update might have tweaked something to GPS stuff, because after getting it the GPS has been much more accurate on my walks. Like instead of being hundreds of feet off, I'm just 10's of feet off, I even managed to beat up a gym without my trainer walking away from it, though it had like 20,000+ prestige so I wasn't going to be taking it down anytime soon.
    Last edited by cobaltstarfire; 2016-07-22 at 09:43 AM.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BiblioRook View Post
    I agree, Fly is a decent enough HM move for battle, right up there with Surf and Waterfall. Strength is OK if you've got a strong Normal-type mon on your team too. Rock Smash and Rock Climb are just sad, so glad that Rock Climb isn't a thing anymore.

Defog remains terrible and it should feel terrible.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

10. - Top - End - #280
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    I don't know what the 'rustling grass' things are supposed to be. I assumed you had to get close then tap them to reveal a pokemon, and I thought it worked like that the first time, but then the spot didn't go away, and wouldn't do it again, and none of the other three produced pokemon at all.
    The grass is an indicator of a Pokemon spawn - an area with a chance of spawning a Pokemon every so often. If it spawned a Pokemon, you'll see it on the map without needing to tap anything.

I'm not entirely certain how the CP relates to the little arc overhead. For example, I have a Jynx with CP 23 whose arc is all the way to the left, and one with CP 71 whose arc is almost halfway across. Is there any way to determine which is the better investment without actually spending a power-up on both and seeing how much they change? Or should I just not bother with power ups until I start catching pokemon with higher CPs?
    All Pokemon have a CP cap depending on a few factors:
    • Species (the more evolved, the better)
    • Trainer level
    • IVs (about 10% variation)

To see which Pokemon is better, extrapolate the end of its CP curve. A Jynx with CP 71 that's halfway across has a max CP around 140 right now, but it will increase with trainer level. All Pokemon increase CP by a species-dependent amount when powered up.

It's not worth powering up anything you're meeting now. In a few levels you'll be finding CP 500 Pokemon and going "oh dang, it's so weak."

My usual strategy in pokemon is to just pick a main and power-level it up until it can solo the elite four, but I don't think that's going to work with this game.
    No, that won't fly. Your "main" Pokemon is going to be either something common (so you have a lot of that type of candy and can frequently power it up) or something rare that you caught with high CP that remains relevant for a long time without needing to be powered up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #281

Defog remains terrible and it should feel terrible.
    Except in modern competitive battling, where it's kinda crazy good.
    ~ZA

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZeltArruin View Post
    Except in modern competitive battling, where it's kinda crazy good.
    As a regular move its effect is fine.

As an HM it needs to burn in the fire of a thousand suns.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

Almost level 17 in Go. Saving up a bunch of candy for a massive evolution binge too - currently at ~80 Gastly candy and hoping to get to 125.

In the main games, I have just decided to start chain fishing my way to some more shinies before I resume my legendary hunts - next one of those will be Ho-Oh. Got a Clawitzer yesterday, and two Feebas so far today (aiming to keep getting Feebas until I get one that's Bold). Now to keep coming up with new names for Feebas.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Dwarf in the Playground

As a regular move its effect is fine.

As an HM it needs to burn in the fire of a thousand suns.
    True story - played through both Diamond and Platinum without ever teaching anybody Defog.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Almost level 17 in Go. Saving up a bunch of candy for a massive evolution binge too - currently at ~80 Gastly candy and hoping to get to 125.
    Where are you finding all these Gastly? I'm almost level 21 and I've only found two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Apparently the university here is haunted. I find them downtown when I go to do a pokestop run to hit the couple dozen pokestops down there.

edit- Can add a third Feebas to the haul today.

edit again - fourth Feebas.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2016-07-22 at 06:54 PM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Where are you finding all these Gastly? I'm almost level 21 and I've only found two.
    People have partly figured out the mechanics behind pokemon spawns. Also there are - hopelessly overused - sites to show you the spawns in your area now. What I have gathered so far is that Horsea regularly spawns at the bus stop close to my house, always in the same area. My area has also about 5 points where Eevee spawn in. Ghastly have two locations. At the train station (technically in the residential area) and on my way to work (next to a kindergarten. Uhm, not very pretty).

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Ghastly (and the occasional haunter) spawn along the road my apartment is on, I'm not really sure what if anything influences that though.

I've also noticed that they tend to spawn more often late morning/early afternoon, and at night.

19. - Top - End - #289

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Apparently the university here is haunted.
    The university I spend a lot of time at is currently the only Gastly spawn point that I'm aware of in my area.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

I've seen a couple Gastly pop up at my apartment, but only rarely. There's a good variety of pokemon in my area. Normal, flying, grass, water (as well as whatever passed for ice-types in Gen 1), bug, poison, psychic are all pretty common. Pikachus show up about as often as Gastly, although none right at my apartment so I haven't caught one yet. Not much in the way of fire (aside from Flareon), rock/ground or fighting, but I have caught a Rhyhorn and Charmander.
    My Steam profile

21. - Top - End - #291

Trying to catch a 700+ CP Golbat. After ten Razz Berries and Great Balls landing either curve balls or "Great!"s I say "forget this" and switch to standard Pokéballs. First throw isn't even a "Nice!" and it catches the bloody thing.
    Jude P.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

In lieu of them actually fixing the footprint bug i have found a site that will show active spawns in your area along with despawn timers called pokevision.com
    Is kinda like cheating but if it's practically impossible to track pokemon the proper way since the nearby list order isn't helping much it can be an anti frustration feature.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Trying to catch a 700+ CP Golbat. After ten Razz Berries and Great Balls landing either curve balls or "Great!"s I say "forget this" and switch to standard Pokéballs. First throw isn't even a "Nice!" and it catches the bloody thing.
    Afair the circle thing affects only the bonus points not the catch itself.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    If I drop a defender at multiple Go! gyms, can I claim coins from all of them, or does claiming once lock them all out for 21 hours?
    You would have to occupy all the gyms, and *then* collect.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbis Meh View Post
    I feel your pain... except we have 2500 CP Dragonites where I am at.... Though getting a 1500CP Vaporeon makes it a little better
    I had the chance to catch a Dragonite last night! Here in Toronto, we have a few really nice places full of pokestops. Jack Layton Ferry Terminal has like seven in a circle, and they are constantly lured. I was hanging out there aiming to reach level 19, when some dude shouted, "Dragonite!", and the entire huge crowd that was hanging around immediately started running three blocks to chase it. The one I found was only 247 CP, and my game froze so I couldn't catch it, but getting to be part of that particular experience was pretty fantastic.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

25. - Top - End - #295

I went hunting again! I was going to do another hunt last night, but it was still 90+ degrees at 10, and I decided discretion was the better part of valor.

I'd vaguely heard about a 'three steps' bug, but I didn't realize quite what it meant until I realized I'd never seen a Pokemon closer than three steps away in the little menu thingie. Which is certainly... problematic.

Thanks for enlightening me about the grass thingies, I found one that appears to produce pidgeys, because I found like three in the immediate area.

Also, now I know better than to spend my candies/stardust upgrading/evolving just yet. I may have wasted three candies already, but both types I tried it on seem to spawn regularly around here, so it's no great loss. What would be a good point to start at?

I know you're supposed to be able to track a pokemon by tapping it, turning in a circle, and watching for the little bar to pulse with a green outline to figure out the direction, but I haven't been able to make that work. I mean, it seems to be tracking something, 'cause I do find little green blips every now and then when I'm walking around normally, but never when I'm actively looking for one specific pokemon. I keep seeing ghastly nearby but I can never find it. Maybe I'll check out that site that shows where the pokemon actually are. It's already a pain in the butt to have to keep restarting pokemon go, it seems like it would be worse if I had to keep cycling between it and said site.

There are a TON of drowzee around me. I think I've caught about 12-15 in two hour-long hunts.

Also, the pokestop gave me some incense, so I was able to get a little more capturing in over the next hour after the hunt.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #296

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    I know you're supposed to be able to track a pokemon by tapping it, turning in a circle, and watching for the little bar to pulse with a green outline to figure out the direction, but I haven't been able to make that work. I mean, it seems to be tracking something, 'cause I do find little green blips every now and then when I'm walking around normally, but never when I'm actively looking for one specific pokemon. I keep seeing ghastly nearby but I can never find it. Maybe I'll check out that site that shows where the pokemon actually are. It's already a pain in the butt to have to keep restarting pokemon go, it seems like it would be worse if I had to keep cycling between it and said
    It actually seems like that rumor turned out to be incorrect. The pulsing seems to be when the order of the list changes, not whe you're facing towards the selected Pokémon. Nobody seems to know what selecting one actually does.

It does seem, though, like the top-left Pokémon in the list is closest, and the bottom-right Pokémon is furthest away. So if you keep the list open and walk a bit, and the one you're looking for moves up the list, you're getting closer, or if it moves down the list, you're going to wrong way. Don't quote me on that, though, because for all I know that's also just a rumor.

As for the three-step thing, they used to appear one or two steps away, but then Niantic tried to fix the list not updating properly and broke it more, so now nothing ever shows up with fewer than three paw prints.

Speaking of rumors, does anybody know if they've figured out how Eevee evolutions work? My friend tried the nickname thing and it didn't work so that's just a false rumor, and last I heard there was no statistically significant correlation with the Eevee's move set or whatever.
    Jude P.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Maybe he spelled it wrong?

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    My friend tried the nickname thing and it didn't work so that's just a false rumor, and last I heard there was no statistically significant correlation with the Eevee's move set or whatever.
    It appears to only work if you don't have that eeveelution already. So you can't just get 10 Jolteons from naming them Sparky.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2016-07-23 at 11:02 AM.
    My Steam profile

29. - Top - End - #299
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

30. - Top - End - #300
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    This is magic.
    Spoiler: things in which I used to be involved before i was claimed by the great pestilence of exams
    Show
    The One Sane Drow (Vergil: Drow Sorcerer 5, CN)
    The Uprise (IC/OOC) (Ker'anson: Drow Arcane Spellcaster 4, NE)

Running Total Of Things I've Critically Hit That Jormengand Didn't Want Me To Critically Hit: 3