Default Martyr-Class

Hit Points
    At First Level-4+Con Mod
    Every Level Thereafter-3+Con Mod or 1d4+Con Mod

Proficiencies
    Armor-Shields
    Weapons-All Weapons
    Saves-Charisma, Wisdom
    Skills-Choose two from Athletics, Acrobatics, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, History, Investigation, Religion, Insight, Perception, Performance, Intimidation, and Persuasion

Level Feature
    1 Martyr's Death, Fighting Style
    2 Death Effect
    3 Martyr's Choice
    4 Ability Score Improvement
    5 Extra Attack
    6 Death Effect
    7 Martyr's Choice
    8 Ability Score Improvement
    9 Martyr's Death II
    10 Death Effect
    11 Martyr's Choice
    12 Ability Score Improvement
    13 Martyr's Death III
    14 Death Effect
    15 Martyr's Choice
    16 Ability Score Improvement
    17 Martyr's Death IV
    18 Death Effect
    19 Ability Score Improvement
    20 Martyr's Choice

Martyr's Death-At level one, whenever you die or drop to zero hit points, you may choose to come back to life with half of your max hit points (as if True Resurrection had been cast on you, but with half HP). This may be used once per long rest.

At level 9, 13, and 17, the number of times you may come back from the dead increases by one per long rest.

Fighting Style-Also at level one, you may select any fighting style except for Defensive.

Death Effect-At level two and every four levels thereafter, you gain a special effect whenever you die. All these effects activate simultaneously.

Martyr's Choice-At level three, select your path-that of an Inspiring Martyr or a Horrifying Martyr.

Death Effects

Deathly Blow-When you die, you may instantly take the attack action without expending any actions.

Healing Death-When you die, you may heal an ally, casting Healing Word on them without spending an action. (Charisma is your spellcasting modifier for this and any other spell-based death effects.)

Deathly Blow II-Requires Deathly Blow-When you die, you may instantly take the attack action twice without expending any actions.

Mass Healing Death-Requires Healing Death-When you die, you may cast Mass Healing Word without spending an action.

Deadly Death-Requires Level 18-When you die, you may cast Power Word Kill without spending an action.

Bountiful Death-Requires Level 10-You may choose to die as an action, summoning a Heroes' Feast from your corpse. If you come back to life, you may partake in your own flesh, gaining the benefits of Heroes' Feast.

Blast Into Ruin-Requires Level 6-When you die, you may move up to your move speed and then explode as per a 3rd level Fireball spell.

Curse of the Fallen-Whoever killed the Martyr suffers disadvantage on ability checks of a single type for one minute, the type chosen by the Martyr.

Feel My Pain-One target within 60' suffers the effect of the attack that killed the Martyr. They may make their own save, if needed.

Guide The Spirit-When you die, one ally within 60' gains a bonus on their next d20 roll equal to your proficiency bonus.

Mass Guide The Spirit-Requires Guide The Spirit-All allies within 60' gain the Guide The Spirit bonus when you die.

Righteous Fury-After dying, the Martyr gains their proficiency bonus on damage rolls for the next minute.

Wings of Glory-Requires Level 6-When you die, you may cast the Fly spell at third level.

Inspiring Martyr

Inspiring Death-Whenever you die, all allies (including you) within 60' gain advantage on saving throws until the start of your next turn. If this is your final death, they instead gain advantage for the next three turns.

Greater Inspiring Death-Your Inspiring Death ability now grants advantage on attack rolls and ability checks, for the same duration.

Forceful Death-Your Inspiring Death ability now grants bonus damage on any damaging attack or spell equal to your proficiency bonus.

Master Inspiring Death-Your Inspiring Death ability now lasts for three turns, or five if it is your final death.

Avenging Angel-When you die, you may choose to return as a Solar. You may only do this on your final death. As a Solar, you are bound to Celestia, and so can remain in the world for no more than an hour. Once the hour is up, you are called back to Celestia, and can never return unless the need is truly dire. Roll a new character.

Horrifying Martyr

Horrifying Death-When you die, all enemies within 60' must make a Wisdom saving throw equal to 8+your proficiency modifier+your Charisma modifier, or be frightened for one minute. They may repeat this save at the end of each of their turns. If this is your final death, enemies have disadvantage on this save.

Greater Horrifying Death-Enemies who are affected by your Horrifying Death are now Restrained by fear.

Devastating Death-Enemies who are affected by your Horrifying Death now take 5d8 psychic damage, or half on a failed save.

Master Horrifying Death-Enemies who are affected by your Horrifying Death are now stunned.

True Horror-When you die, you may choose to return as a Pit Fiend. You may only do this on your final death. As a Pit Fiend, you are bound to the Nine Hells, and so can remain in the world for no more than an hour. Once the hour is up, you are called back to the Nine Hells, and can never return unless a bargain is struck with the ruler of the Nine Hells, Asmodeus. Roll a new character, as your old character is now forevermore part of the Infernal Hierarchy.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2016-08-02 at 08:53 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Martyr-Class

Wow, all I can say is that is a truly interesting idea.

My only comments,

Heroes feast seems rather morbid (if you will pardon the pun) it just strikes me as weird? wrong? I would suggest something else. It is also the only Death Effect that you trigger so that is a little odd as well.

I would throw some out of combat effects into the leveling mix.

Deaths Eyes: You have seen death, oh so much death. Your very look causes others to tremble. You are proficient in intimidation.
    You surrender after you're dead. Lan Mandragoran

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calen View Post
    Wow, all I can say is that is a truly interesting idea.

My only comments,

Heroes feast seems rather morbid (if you will pardon the pun) it just strikes me as weird? wrong? I would suggest something else. It is also the only Death Effect that you trigger so that is a little odd as well.

I would throw some out of combat effects into the leveling mix.

Deaths Eyes: You have seen death, oh so much death. Your very look causes others to tremble. You are proficient in intimidation.
    I agree, it's a lil' bit morbid. The whole class is! It's about dying!

And I can't claim credit for the idea-Jormengand did a 3.5 class based around this idea, and I just made one of r5E.

Show
    Show

Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    I agree, it's a lil' bit morbid. The whole class is! It's about dying!

And I can't claim credit for the idea-Jormengand did a 3.5 class based around this idea, and I just made one of r5E.
    Unless the change was intentional, HP should be 4 + CON at 1st level, and 3 + CON for every level after that.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by DracoKnight View Post
    Unless the change was intentional, HP should be 4 + CON at 1st level, and 3 + CON for every level after that.
    It is-I just used the d4 shorthand. You do not HAVE to roll every level.

I'll edit it in-no need to be lazy.

Show
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #6

A huge thanks to Jormengand, for letting me crib abilities from their Living Saint.

Class can be considered complete, I think.

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

I really like this class. I feel like it could suffer a little after you have used your dying for the day, as then you are a melee character with 5-6 hit points per level, a fighting style, and really nothing else.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateWench

i think the feast should be part of the horrifying martyr since your allies eat you but to each their own, very creative and finally a class that lets me kamikaze built in

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

This class has been tickling my imagination all day. I thought I would offer a third archetype.

Indomitable Martyr

My Life for Yours While you are not incapacitated you may make death saving throws for your allies. You may choose to roll for any ally within 100' of you. On a success they follow the rules as normal. On a failure you instead take 1d10 psychic damage. If you die from this damage all allies within 100' of you gain your martyr level * 2 HP.

Ignore the Grave You have advantage on all death saving throws that you make for yourself or for allies.

Not Yet An enemy that sees you return to life (100' max range) must make a Wisdom saving throw equal to 8+your proficiency modifier+your Charisma modifier or be frightened for 1 minute. They may repeat this save at the end of each of their turns.

Embrace Death
    When making a melee attack you may choose to allow the enemy to make an opportunity attack. If they choose to do so your attack is made with advantage and a roll of 18-20 is a crit.

Gone Forever When you die your final death you may choose to summon someone from beyond the grave. You return to life for up to one hour. You may cast the Resurrection spell with no component cost on any dead creature as an action. When the hour is up or you cast the spell you die.
    Last edited by Calen; 2016-07-14 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Based on critiques.
    You surrender after you're dead. Lan Mandragoran

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Calen View Post
    This class has been tickling my imagination all day. I thought I would offer a third archetype.

Indomitable Martyr

My Life for Yours While you are not incapacitated you may make death saving throws for your allies. You may choose to roll for any ally within 100' of you. On a success they follow the rules as normal. On a failure you instead take 1d10 psychic damage. If you die from this damage all allies within 100' of you gain your martyr level * 2 HP.

Ignore the Grave You have advantage on all death saving throws that you make for yourself or for allies. An enemy that sees you return to life (100' max range) must make a Wisdom saving throw equal to 8+your proficiency modifier+your Charisma modifier or be frightened for 1 minute. They may repeat this save at the end of each of their turns.

Not Yet When you take damage you may ignore up to twice your Constitution modifier in damage taken. As an action you may take all damage ignored for the last minute. You may not prevent this damage in anyway. Any enemy within in 10' of you must make a Constitution saving throw equal to 8+your proficiency modifier+your Charisma modifier. On a failed save they take the same amount of damage. On a sucess t

Embrace Death
    When making a melee attack you may choose to allow the enemy to make an opportunity attack. If they choose to do so your attack is made with advantage and a roll of 16-20 is a crit.

Gone Forever When you die your final death you may choose to summon someone from beyond the grave. You return to life for up to one hour. You may cast the Resurrection spell with no component cost on any dead creature as an action. When the hour is up or you cast the spell you die.
    I like My Life For Yours.

Ignore The Grave feels like a little much to have BOTH.

Not Yet is really weird, and probably overpowered.

Embrace Death is DEFINITELY overpowered.

Gone Forever doesn't fit-it should be some kind of uber-transformation that permanently removes you from the game.

Show
    Show

Show