New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Targetteer Sniper attack question

Hey, I've been planning a sniper and/or gunslinger character and I recently stumbled across the Targetteer class variant, and their Sniper special ability option. How it works will decide whether I focus more in gunslinging multiple attacks, or more powerful but fewer sniper attacks

"When using the full attack option, the targetteer can sacrifice attacks to gain deadly accuracy. For each attack from a full attack sacrificed, the threat range of the targetteer's weapon increases by 1...
    ... A sacrificed attack only enhances the next attack. However, a targetteer can sacrifice multiple attacks to further increase the threat range. A targetteer cannot sacrifice all attacks from a full attack action."

Bold text is the point I need a bit of clarity for.

Does this just mean a sacrificed attack only enhances a single attack during that round?

Example: if you have 4 attacks and you sacrifice 2 attacks, the first actual attack you make has +2 to the threat range, and you could take your last attack at normal threat range.

If so, since you can choose how to use each attack in a full round attack action (you decide how to use each attack after you roll the previous attack), does it stand to reason that you can designate which attacks to forego in which order, and which attacks should receive a bonus?

Example: You have 4 attacks, your first choice is to sacrifice one attack to boost your next attack, leaving 2 attacks remaining. After you made the attack, you decide to sacrifice one of the remaining attacks to boost your last attack. Effectively making 2 attacks with +1 threat range each (Since each sacrificed attack only applied to the actual attack that followed)

If I wanted, I could get about 13-14 attacks per round (or more, with magic, plus double for Splitting weapons), but I'd rather not actually use all of them because that would be slow and tedious. However, trading out a few of those attacks for some extra critical threat would make things a lot more streamlined without wasting a lot of the effort required.

Side note: It's my understanding that you would sacrifice the attacks from your lowest BAB to the highest BAB. I know making attacks in a full round action works from highest to lowest, but the ability would be incredibly stupid if you had to sacrifice your best attacks to make your worst attacks better (if they even hit). The entire notion is that you're forgoing the extra attacks you could make in that time frame in order to spend more time on your best shots. My DM will make the final ruling for that, but I'm curious to hear some other thoughts too

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Targetteer Sniper attack question

Quote Originally Posted by Xarteros View Post
    Does this just mean a sacrificed attack only enhances a single attack during that round?

If so, since you can choose how to use each attack in a full round attack action (you decide how to use each attack after you roll the previous attack), does it stand to reason that you can designate which attacks to forego in which order, and which attacks should receive a bonus?
    1) Yes.
    2) Yes, but you cannot change the order of your attacks. So no sacrificing your lowest iterative attack to boost your higher iterative attack.