New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1512
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: MitD X: If I told you, you wouldn't believe me

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Well for one, she opened up her dialogue with a massive misjudgment about the MITD and his relationship with Xykon. One could also easily interpret Greyview's comments as indicating she has a somewhat poor understanding of her relationship with him as well, although that's not the only possible reading there. Regardless, she isn't an all-knowing encyclopedia of beastdom.

Beyond that though, most monsters that have abnormal growth cycles go through metamorphoses and change form, like Slaads. I haven't heard of any creatures in D&D that go through decades long periods of no growth whatsoever before suddenly undergoing a massive growth spurt. If you can find one, I will examine the evidence and reconsider my position, but until then "the MITD is a runt for some reason" seems a more likely explanation than "the MITD is going to spontaneously become incredibly massive all at once"
    That's a false dichotomy, though.

Given the life cycles of some monsters (I'm not a D&D expert, but as Grey Wolf pointed out, it takes a black dragon 800 years to upgrade in size), it seems entirely reasonable to me that, in the relatively short time in-comic we've seen the Monster, he hasn't grown yet.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Given the life cycles of some monsters (I'm not a D&D expert, but as Grey Wolf pointed out, it takes a black dragon 800 years to upgrade in size), it seems entirely reasonable to me that, in the relatively short time in-comic we've seen the Monster, he hasn't grown yet.
    More importantly, other than human and dragons and maybe a few other exceptions here and there, there is no RAW for how creatures grow. Especially for epic creatures, however, lore tends to be that they live for long periods of time and sleep a great deal, probably to explain why they don't destroy civilisation every other week.

If MitD is, say, the Athasian Nightmare Beast, we have no idea how long it lives, nor how long it takes it to reach full maturity. Rich can literally make up whatever he wants, and if he decides that it takes him 1000 years, who is to say otherwise?

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

There’s also precedent for Rich taking the rules very literally, almost comically so. Remember when he said that people keel over at 12:01am on their birthday when they die of old age? It wouldn’t be any stranger if dragons suddenly doubled in size when they advanced a size category to Young Adult at age 100 or whatever.

Additionally, there’s only several panels where we see the MitD more than a couple of years ago. Is he clearly almost exactly the same size there? If it’s ambiguous, than this whole thing is moot.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2017-12-04 at 06:43 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    There’s also precedent for Rich taking the rules very literally, almost comically so.
    Not "almost comically so".

Only comically so. He does it when he can make a joke out of it.

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post

No, not just then. Unlike Roger, once Rich establishes something happens, even if it was as a joke, he sticks with it - he pointed out that the fact the characters can tell status effects like mind control due to swirly eyes was introduced as a joke with the black dragon, but now he is stuck with it.

GW
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post

Irrelevant to anything being discussed here, but damn the shading on Roger as the light changes there is amazing. I want to rewatch that movie based on that gif alone.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    No, not just then. Unlike Roger, once Rich establishes something happens, even if it was as a joke, he sticks with it - he pointed out that the fact the characters can tell status effects like mind control due to swirly eyes was introduced as a joke with the black dragon, but now he is stuck with it.

GW
    Agreed. He did it for comic effect - but kept it out of consistency.

Which still fits my point. He won't take the rules over-literally at the reveal of the MitD - unless he can make it funny.

[But since he can make almost anything funny, that's not really much of a restriction.]

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

What if the Monster in Darkness is somehow key to the gate? I know that there the gates themselves can't move since they are built over static positions, but what if the Monster in Darkness is somehow linked to Serini's plan for the gate?

Serini built Kragor's tomb to honor Kragor and his belief in the supremacy of powerful monsters, but what if that was a feint of sorts? What if Serini really protected the gate using something more subtle, like a monster that holds the key to actually getting to the gate if you become friends with it and compromise?

Since the MitD has been subtly foiling the villain's plans for a while now, it may be appropriate if the MitD himself is part of Serini's plan. She's noted as "not the type for retiring" so I even thought it may be possible that she turned herself into the MitD somehow, but I don't think that's seriously likely... But it does suggest to me that Serini had something more to her plan than just honoring Kragor.

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by luna the cat View Post
    Serini built Kragor's tomb to honor Kragor and his belief in the supremacy of powerful monsters, but what if that was a feint of sorts? What if Serini really protected the gate using something more subtle, like a monster that holds the key to actually getting to the gate if you become friends with it and compromise?
    See also two threads before about previous ideas about other ways how the MitD could be related to Serini's strong monsters.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

What if the Monster in Darkness is somehow key to the gate? I know that there the gates themselves can't move since they are built over static positions, but what if the Monster in Darkness is somehow linked to Serini's plan for the gate?

Since the MitD has been subtly foiling the villain's plans for a while now, it may be appropriate if the MitD himself is part of Serini's plan. She's noted as "not the type for retiring" so I even thought it may be possible that she turned herself into the MitD somehow, but I don't think that's seriously likely... But it does suggest to me that Serini had something more to her plan than just honoring Kragor.
    I don't remember what her exact class was but I'm fairly certain she wouldn't have had the magical requirements to do such a thing. As I recall Lorien & Durokan worked together to seal the gates around closed rifts magically - once that was done each member guarded their own gate however they wished. Not sure how she could have 'keyed' a monster to it afterwards.

That's not even considering that having the MITD sitting in some rain forest and through a wild series of coincidences just happening to get close to a group that eventually makes their way to her gate (after failing at the others) is about the worst defensive plan ever.

11. - Top - End - #1121

PaladinGuy

Remind me, has it been established whether the Monster's ability to see through the darkness of the umbrella is a property of the monster or the umbrella?

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Remind me, has it been established whether the Monster's ability to see through the darkness of the umbrella is a property of the monster or the umbrella?
    Actually, as far as I can recall, its only ever been joked that the monster struggles to see out of it. Ive always interpreted his eyes being visible and him being able to see as artistic license with the magical darkness.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Titan in the Playground

His inability to see through magical darkness predates the umbrella.

GW

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    I don't remember what her exact class was but I'm fairly certain she wouldn't have had the magical requirements to do such a thing. As I recall Lorien & Durokan worked together to seal the gates around closed rifts magically - once that was done each member guarded their own gate however they wished. Not sure how she could have 'keyed' a monster to it afterwards.

That's not even considering that having the MITD sitting in some rain forest and through a wild series of coincidences just happening to get close to a group that eventually makes their way to her gate (after failing at the others) is about the worst defensive plan ever.
    I get what you're saying, but the MITD being involved with the gate somehow has a very Lord of the Rings (gollum making it all the way to the volcano), or even a Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade feel (Xyklon and red cloak choosing the different monster holes like the Nazis chose grails rather than thinking laterally or the way a friendly hobbit that values friendship might think to design a way to protect something)

I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of DnD so, I don't know what sort of monster would fit thematically with "Serini designed the gate around a macguffin monster that you have to befriend", but that would be my guess of what the MitD is.

15. - Top - End - #1125

PaladinGuy

Actually, per #23, those are natural shadows, not magical darkness. This mitigates against the Uvuudaum, which has blindsight, and for the Athasian Nightmare Beast, which does not.

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, per #23, those are natural shadows, not magical darkness.
    "Actually", no they are not.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-12-15 at 01:49 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1127

BardGuy

I get what you're saying, but the MITD being involved with the gate somehow has a very Lord of the Rings (gollum making it all the way to the volcano), or even a Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade feel (Xyklon and red cloak choosing the different monster holes like the Nazis chose grails rather than thinking laterally or the way a friendly hobbit that values friendship might think to design a way to protect something)

I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of DnD so, I don't know what sort of monster would fit thematically with "Serini designed the gate around a macguffin monster that you have to befriend", but that would be my guess of what the MitD is.
    Gollum knew who stole the ring and followed the fellowship once he got away from being tortured for information. The Nazis actually never got near the grail; Donovan had no clue which it was and Elsie deliberately chose a wrong grail for him.

That being said, I still don't know what you are saying. The gates were intended to never be opened and their defenses were intended to keep anyone from getting to them. Not sure how that is served by releasing a living key into the wild that can be befriended. If the Right-Eye stuck with the plan he could have taken O'Chul's place in befriending the MITD and won him over to their cause thus dooming the world (or at least the gods).

18. - Top - End - #1128

PaladinGuy

"Actually", no they are not.

GW
    Ooh! Good spot! (Boom boom! :))

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    Gollum knew who stole the ring and followed the fellowship once he got away from being tortured for information. The Nazis actually never got near the grail; Donovan had no clue which it was and Elsie deliberately chose a wrong grail for him.

That being said, I still don't know what you are saying. The gates were intended to never be opened and their defenses were intended to keep anyone from getting to them. Not sure how that is served by releasing a living key into the wild that can be befriended. If the Right-Eye stuck with the plan he could have taken O'Chul's place in befriending the MITD and won him over to their cause thus dooming the world (or at least the gods).
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0830.html

In 830 Redcloak explains how the ritual allows one to move the gate around under divine control. Now, I don't actually remember where the ritual actually comes from (how the goblins got a hold of it), but it makes me wonder if the ritual had already been cast and that the gate is actually moving along with whatever the MitD is. Because of misdirection, people's expectations for what the gates are (in this scenario, RedCloak is the only one alive who even is aware that the gates can be moved) and the apparent ignorance and self-defense capability of the MitD, this seems like a much better defense than what the other gates rely on, both playing into Serini 'honoring Kragor's respect for the might of monsters' and Serini 'not being one to retire to one place'.

As for what this would actually mean in terms of what the MitD is, I have some further ideas, but it depends on whether what I've said so far is possible (I can't find out about when the ritual was first introduced/more about how Redcloak knows of it besides the Mantel, anything that might suggest that Serini and company actually wrote or were aware of the ritual).

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Titan in the Playground

Snip
    Sorry, but that is not how it works.
    So, no, the Gate or the rift could not have been physically moved. The Sapphire could be moved, and Xykon would have been obligated to track it down and undo its magic before he could perform his ritual, but there would be a risk in doing so, and it wouldn't really have stopped Xykon from sieging the city at that point (because he still would have needed the immovable Gate).

The use of Redcloak's magic ritual to shift the Gate into another plane is entirely unrelated, and in fact can only shift a Gate to another plane—not to another place in THIS plane. Think of it like moving a Bag of Holding from the Prime to an Outer Plane: you've moved the entranceway to an extradimensional space, but opening it still leads to the same interior.

Hopefully, that clears the issue up.
    I don't think the Great Beast in Darkness will be related to the gate but in defense of your argument I will point out that there is precedent to a test of character as a defense of the gates : Dorukan's last enchantment on his.

EDIT: also considering Red knows the ritual thanks to the Mantle, I assume the Dark One devised it.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2017-12-20 at 03:38 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

21. - Top - End - #1131

PaladinGuy

How much of a tell is the Monster recognising the Ritual? The Uvuudaum has both Knowledge: Religion and Knowledge: Arcana at +52 but the Athasian Nightmare Beast has neither skill.

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Sorry, but that is not how it works.

I don't think the Great Beast in Darkness will be related to the gate but in defense of your argument I will point out that there is precedent to a test of character as a defense of the gates : Dorukan's last enchantment on his.

EDIT: also considering Red knows the ritual thanks to the Mantle, I assume the Dark One devised it.
    I'm confused, if the sapphire can be moved, does the gate move with it...?

Edit: Nevermind, clicked through to the original post
    Last edited by luna the cat; 2017-12-20 at 05:33 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1133

I saw something that may or may not have been pointed out yet in 833. The MITD seems to know about the astral plane.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    I saw something that may or may not have been pointed out yet in 833. The MITD seems to know about the astral plane.
    See Section 2c: Connection to the Astral Plane

GW

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

It has been noted, yes. Any chance you have any theories on that? It's always nice to hear new thoughts.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

26. - Top - End - #1136

I wish I had time to research it. I just started a new job - the first work in 6 years. I tire very easily still.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I wish I had time to research it. I just started a new job - the first work in 6 years. I tire very easily still.
    Congratulations. (Not on being tired... on the... you know, employment.)
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Ettin in the Playground

Now, I don't actually remember where the ritual actually comes from (how the goblins got a hold of it)
    The Crimson Mantle imbues its wearer, presuming they are indeed a priest of the Dark One, with knowledge of the ritual. (I presume it has knowledge of both the arcane and divine halves, and Redcloak wrote down the arcane half for Xykon, being that he wouldn't be able to cast it himself.)

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

How much of a tell is the Monster recognising the Ritual? The Uvuudaum has both Knowledge: Religion and Knowledge: Arcana at +52 but the Athasian Nightmare Beast has neither skill.
    Hard to say. Might be a plus. Then again, maybe he has aome sort of telepathy and read her mind. Or maybe he’s an amnesiac servitor of the Dark One and knew it that way. Or maybe he’s a race with innate divine and arcane casting. Or maybe he’s got like a 40 INT. Or maybe...

The point being, its PROBABLY a plus, but there are a bunch of other possible explanations (some more probable than others) which would also explain it.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Halfling in the Playground

Is it possible that MitD was plane shifted from the astral plane? He talks about possibly rembering something in strip #833 http://http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0833.html