New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: You are the Apocalypse: Malkarim

Malkarim looks at them coldly, "You congratulate yourselves on seeing it off and do not wonder where such a beast could have come from?." He paces in front of them angrily, "This attack demands retaliation. If Verioth had such a creature it would have been used long ago, and not merely alone. No, I suspect instead that the orcs have used their magic to twist a creature into that state to attack us." He looks at them, waiting to see if they challenge his assertion

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

"With all due respect, your majesty, I do not see why the orcs would attack us. Our nations have lived in peace for many years, our druids have shared knowledge and magic, and they are amongst our most stable trade partners."

"It's orcs, you fool!" the injured bugbear exclaims. "They don't care about treaties or trade: when they get the idea that those idiot spirits they worship want them to attack us, they'll do so without hesitation."

"It is still odd, though. The lack of orc troups is nothing like how they usually fight their wars. Even if they for some reason weren't able to attack us with anything other than this beast, why did it suddenly stop rampaging? Let's face it: the thing wasn't in danger of being killed by us."

"May I suggest recalling Cactusblood and his acolytes to the capital? Our own druids should be helpful against a monster created by druid magic."
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground

Malkarim looks on at the foolish generals, "No doubt it retreated to return to them so that they can maintain their control on it. Ready the armies for war with the orcs. Recall Cactusblood as well, we will need him. Tell me when he's arrived."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

"...As you wish, Your Majesty."

The generals leave the room: some of them convinced of Malkarim's lies and others less so.

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Orc in the Playground

Malkarim will lock the doors to the Empress' room and rest for now while he waits for the army to mobilize and Cactusblood to arrive.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds of marching soldiers and shouting commanders fill the streets. Malkarim is visited several times by goblin servants carrying food.

Then, after two days of waiting, two calm knocks can be heard. A soft voice, belonging to an elderly person, can be heard speaking.

"I, Cactusblood, eldest of the Circle of Spines, have arrived, Majesty."

Extended signature!

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

"You may enter."

Malkarim forces himself to put on a welcoming smile, though all he feels for the creature is contempt. "You have been informed of recent events, I hope?"

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah yes, a great evil beast. I saw the damage it had inflicted while walking to the palace, Your Majesty. It is most dreadful."

Cactusblood shuffles inside and bows briefly.

"You must have called me here for counsel, I presume? Fear not: I am certain the appropriate sacrifices to the spirits will keep the beast from returning."

Extended signature!

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

"You simply wish to appease the spirits? No. It is my will that we strike back at whoever created this beast. Most likely the orcs and their magic." Malkarim looks at Cactucsblood for a reaction to this declaration.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Cactusblood seems surprised.

"The... orcs? Surely my druidic brothers would not do such a thing! I assure you, Your Majesty, this is not the time for more war. The creatures of the desert told me Verioth is gathering his forces: to strike at the orcs now would invite only destruction upon us."

Extended signature!

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

Malkarim puts on a stern look, enjoying the charade. "You heard me. Who else would create such a creature? Hm? If it were Verioth's creature he would have brought his forces behind immediately."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

"Perhaps the gnomes?" Cactusblood ventures weakly, before realizing a war with the gnomish would be just as dangerous.

"Your majesty, I beg you, do not march on the orcs. I know I cannot stop you, but please try to realize what it means."

Extended signature!

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

"We have been attacked, a response *must* be made. There will be war with the orcs. Now I suggest you do your best to see that we win this war."

Spoiler
    Show

Going to try to read his mind

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

"...As you wish. I shall gather the druids and instruct them to join the army. With our navy damaged, I suggest we travel along the coast, then through the desert: the druids' magic should be sufficient to help sustain the army."

Spoiler: Thoughts
    Show
    Cactusblood does not truly believe the orcs have brought forth the monster, though he doesn't have a real clue who did. He is, however, loyal to the empire, and doesn't even consider going against its ruler's wishes.

The druid is also concerned; about the monstrous rampage, the strategist's disappearance and the emperor's death. A brief flash of the empress with her throat cut passes through his mind, combined with intense worry.

Extended signature!

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

"Then that is what we shall do." Malkarim gives a more approving tone as Catcusblood goes along with his idea. Together they'd lead the army to ruin and Verioth would no doubt take care of what was left of the defenses left behind.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

The moment Cactusblood shuts the door behind him, a subtle ripple goes through the air in Malkarim's room. For a moment, it's not clear what happened, then the keen-eyed assassin begins to notice the changes.

The walls have turned slightly darker, with veins of red running beneath the surface. The air now smells stagnant, with a tinge of rot. What used to be an artful mural showing an axe-wielding bugbear decapitating a dragon is now a rough sketch of a faceless humanoid staring forward. Where a window was moments ago, a smooth wall now stands. All books have disappeared off the bookshelf next to Malkarim.

Most noticeable of all changes, however, is the one to the door. It used to be made of reinforced wood, but what now stands in the portal is a gate from greenish metal.

Extended signature!

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

Malkarim draws his weapons and walks briskly towards the gate, seeing if there is any means of opening it. He mutters under his breath as he does this, "I doubt Cactusblood managed this. He'd have had to hide his thoughts too well for this sudden trap..."

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

The gate silently slides open when Malkarim approaches. Beyond it is something considerably different from the palace hallway.

Bookshelves loaded with books rise to a ceiling over a hundred feet above Malkarim's head, forming twisting passages. Pale, faceless beings walk or climb past the shelves, whispering to themselves in languages unknown to Malkarim.

Upon seeing the assassin, the pale beings rise a single, unnaturally long arm, and point in a single direction.

Extended signature!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground

Malkarim considers for a moment. Perhaps his god had words for him? Regardless, someone wishes to meet him it seemed. He strides forward confidently in the direction pointed at. He resumes his natural form as he goes

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Deeper and deeper into the labyrinth Malkarim travels, guided by the pale beings. His surroundings grow more shadowy, and sounds of scratching and breathing can be heard from behind the shelves. A book falls from a bookshelf high above Malkarim, blood gushing from its pages, but before it hits the ground a pale arm reaches out and grabs it.

After what seems like an eternity of wandering the maze and beholding strange sights, the assassin arrives at an open space amidst the shelves. Seated at a rough wooden table is one of the pale beings: another chair stands empty.

When Malkarim approaches, the being turns towards him. A fanged mouth appears on its featureless face, and it speaks:

"My greatest creation has been busy, it seems. Have a seat."

Extended signature!

21. - Top - End - #171
    Orc in the Playground

Now certain of where he is and who he sought this meeting, Malkarim relaxes. He bows deeply to Icasthar before sitting as requested. "Yes, I have. Do you have further instructions for my work among the mortals?"

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh no, oh no. It's very amusing seeing you work. I wouldn't want to ruin that creativity."

The mouth suddenly disappears, only for a voice behind Malkarim to start talking. Standing there is another of the faceless beings, now speaking with the assassin's god's voice.

"I mean: killing the emperor in broad daylight! Impersonating his wife! Negotiating with Murky's pet! And now you're sending the goblins against the orcs? Priceless!"

The being walks over to the other side of the table: the faceless individual who was there a second ago is gone the moment Malkarim turns around again.

"Go ahead with your little war, I have some business of my own. We don't want Treeface to get too mad at me, do we?"

The faceless being snaps its unnaturally long fingers, and crumbles to a small pile of ash. Moments later, the same happens to the library, and Malkarim finds himself back in the empress' chambers.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Please level up Malkarim.

Also, most logistical stuff has been accomplished, so we can skip past the boring bits of gathering the army.

Extended signature!

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

Malkarim rises and sets to work on his preparations for war. He'll see to it that any who could mount a coup is taken with the army, as well as spending as much of the treasury as he can preparing for it, skimming what he can from it.

Spoiler
    Show

Leveled up. Not the most exciting level, but looking forward to the next

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Over the course of several weeks, Malkarim's scheme begins to take shape. Messengers arrive from all corners of the empire, reporting the mobilization of troops. Druids gather in the capital, and routes towards various main orcish cities are drawn up.

From orcish lands, spies send messages. According to their tales, various orcish groups are warring against each other, with at least three sides to the conflict. The city of Ribcage, a well-fortified and powerful harbor town, was razed by one of them not too long ago.

At last, the preparations are complete.

Show
    I wonder why Deathstalker has the most awesome class features coincide with the caster advancement, while the other levels only get +1d6 sneak attack.

Also, it was somewhat unclear to me; is Malkarim coming with the army?

Extended signature!

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

Three sides of orcish war? Malkarim mused over this and decided it was all the better. It would be amusing if the army succeeded and actually conquered the orcs due to inner strife.

Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, that was kind of weird I thought. But hey, one level to go then more spells and the rage inducing ability, which will be perfect for Malkarim

And yep, he's going with the army. He's going to personally see to it they keep fighting until the very end. Or they rebel and he slips in among the orcs perhaps. His general plan isn't to keep the empire, it's to leave it open to Verioth and at the same time use up its army to cause more general ruin. Then he'll move on.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

The army begins to travel northeast, its soldiers optimistic after hearing the tales of the struggling orcs.

A few days after leaving, Malkarim is visited in his tent. General Wahrah, her Darkova-caused injury now healed, enters with a determined look on her face.

"Hail to you, empress! I have come here for one reason!"

The general waits for a moment, takes a deep breath, then exclaims:

"I ask you: please give to me the position of master strategist! Yermahuz has still not been found, and the empire needs a strong tactician in the war against the orcs!"

Show
    I am very, very afraid of the things Malkarim will do once he can make anyone enter a murderous rage, at will.

Extended signature!

27. - Top - End - #177
    Orc in the Playground

Malkarim looks down at her with amusement. He tilts his head, "An interesting request"

Spoiler
    Show

Going to mind read her, see if she has an ulterior motive

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Thoughts
    Show
    The bugbear general is experiencing hate, though it does not seem to be directed at Malkarim. No traces of treachery appear within her mind.

Extended signature!

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

He nods his head gravely, "Very well. You are right, we need a strategist and you are indeed qualified. Begin your planning immediately."

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

"Thank you, oh Greatest Excellence."

The bugbear bows, then leaves the tent.

For many days, the army continues traveling. Around the time the army approaches the northern borders of the empire, a hobgoblin on a fast, sweat-covered horse arrives, clearly exhausted. He drops to his knees before Malkarim, and speaks:

"Your majesty, I was told to *pant* bring this information to you as soon as possible. I *gasp* have been told *pant* Verioth is on the move. If you travel *hack* west now perhaps his army can be intercepted. *pant*"

Extended signature!