New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Banned

Default Re: Erfworld Thread VIII: VIIInnie, VIIIdi, VIIIci

I'm sure the game will be perfectly fine for the people who buy it. Anyone willing to give Rob even more money for Erfworld at this point is enough of a fan to enjoy whatever he pumps out.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius Twist View Post
    For the sake of your own wallet and sanity, please don't hype.
    Who's hyping? I look forward to it the same way a dog looks forward to rabies injections.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    There's a game? o.o
    The information was hidden in the middle of the latest blog update about something else.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Assuming the game runs on the same mechanics we get glimpses into in the comic, it'll be neat for that aspect, even if the game itself is a hot mess.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Assuming the game runs on the same mechanics we get glimpses into in the comic, it'll be neat for that aspect, even if the game itself is a hot mess.
    It'd ruin the comic though. Most of the big twists are based on Parson exploiting the rules somehow. If we get access to those rules we'll be able to see the twists coming.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chives View Post
    It'd ruin the comic though. Most of the big twists are based on Parson exploiting the rules somehow. If we get access to those rules we'll be able to see the twists coming.
    Not necessarily. We've known about rules long before they are exploited in comic on several occasions. It's one of the things I admire about the comic, actually, and make it re-readable: you get rules put in front of you by Parson's notes, and often have relevance to the current situation (see prisoner rules at the start of book 3) but they aren't exploited until later.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    First thing happens their Vanna and Charlie link and reduce heir production by one turn; Then Don gets notified; Then Don and Charlie talk; Then we cut to FAQ; Then we cut to Jetstone; Then we cut to TV; then we cut to Haggar (because why the **** not); Then we cut to Don and Parson talk; Then we cut to Bunny and Parson talk; Then we cut to Bunny and Caesar; Then we cut the flesh; Then we cut to MK and Wanda trial; Then we cut to Jetstone; Then we cut to Bunny and Maggie talk; Then we cut to Don and Jill talk; Then we cut to fight.

Here is a hundred Shmucker prediction, no fight (think MK skirmish or similar)/escape happens for a month.
    Duuuuude, spoilers?

bout story progression, a few comparisons might be interesting. Alan Moore's Watchman has 448 pages. Erfworld book 1 has 150 pages plus epilogues, book 2 has 200 pages plus epilogues, book 3 so far 186 pages. A total count of 536 pages plus epilogues. The non-comic book 0 has 81 entries, with 1000-2500 words per entry; if I assume 1750 words on average that is a total of 141.750 words. It is about 2/3 finished. Homer's Iliad, which covers the story of Achilles within the Trojan war, has 147.317 words (English translation).
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

8. - Top - End - #218
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    I was under the impression it would simply be a mod for Civ V or something along that line of simplicity.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

New comic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Aaaaaaaaaand, cutaway.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: new text
    Show
    Not much new information as far as I can tell, aside the fact that Links conceal the involved magic and that Jed kinda dislikes the fact that another Side messed with their Portal.
    I'm not sure, I missed some recent updates and didn't pay that much attention when reading them. And the last time we saw something created via link has been a while ago, so I'm not sure if that info is old or new.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Show
    Not much new information as far as I can tell, aside the fact that Links conceal the involved magic and that Jed kinda dislikes the fact that another Side messed with their Portal.
    I'm not sure, I missed some recent updates and didn't pay that much attention when reading them. And the last time we saw something created via link has been a while ago, so I'm not sure if that info is old or new.
    Charlie used a link with a nurse to treat Wanda's and Jillian's addictions. Jack talked to Parson about that, although I don't recall if he specifically mentioned the link with another caster. Jack definitely mentioned that Charlie was a Carny, though. The thing is that most of the rest of the GK units don't know. Bonnie wasn't even a GK unit yet, so she didn't know, except for whatever rumors she had heard. So it's not news to us, but it is to the characters who were talking.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

So it turns out Casters can have the Archery Special. That's interesting.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    New comic
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aaaaaaaaaand, cutaway.
    By imitating a jumping bean, we maximize plot speeeed.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    By imitating a jumping bean, we maximize plot speeeed.
    Well... This could have all been relayed to Parson third person. Just have him "zone out" for a second while Jed gives him a heads up.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Banned

Don't worry. We'll probably get a whole page of that too.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Oh by the Titans no. I love Erfworld. I want it to go on forever, but not like this. There is a world of uncharted territory. Just kill Charlie and get on with it. (I was thinking space invaders for the fifth book, X-com style)

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Well... This could have all been relayed to Parson third person. Just have him "zone out" for a second while Jed gives him a heads up.
    Or just jump to discussion. Or jump to Sizemore in Carnivale.

I love Erfworld. I want it to go on forever, but not like this.
    Wish granted. I guess.
    Last edited by -D-; 2016-08-20 at 02:22 AM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Show
    We learned a bit more. In particular, we know exactly what Jed thinks about carnymancy now - some people thought he might have been angry that GK wanted to cheat his portal; but it seems like his thought process is more along the lines of "if someone else is cheating, we're going to cheat right back at them twice as hard!" or the like, which makes him seem a bit more reasonable.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I wonder whether the name Jed is short for something, like Jedidiah, Jedburg, or somthing else beginning with "Jed"?
    Last edited by halfeye; 2016-08-20 at 07:48 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Orc in the Playground

biggrin Re: Erfworld Thread VIII: VIIInnie, VIIIdi, VIIIci

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I wonder whether the name Jed is short for something, like Jedidiah, Jedburg, or somthing else beginning with "Jed"?
    We were there when he was named. It's short for "Jed the Head."
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

21. - Top - End - #231

Just kill Charlie and get on with it.
    Hmm, I was thinking that once Charlie was out of the picture the story kind of... well "ends". Or perhaps more specifically, Parson's story ends.

I suppose there are future Stupidworlders to abduct.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    In particular, we know exactly what Jed thinks about carnymancy now - some people thought he might have been angry that GK wanted to cheat his portal; but it seems like his thought process is more along the lines of "if someone else is cheating, we're going to cheat right back at them twice as hard!" or the like, which makes him seem a bit more reasonable.
    Yeah, it makes sense that a city is mad because an opposing city is cheating the rules by having a modified portal. That's kind of funny to think about.

Oooh, would that mean GK's previous capital is really Boopin' jealous it's not the capital city anymore?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hmm, I was thinking that once Charlie was out of the picture the story kind of... well "ends". Or perhaps more specifically, Parson's story ends.
    There is the fight against the only enemy worth fighting that charlie spoke about.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    That would be the completion of one of the prophecies around him, but he also needs to end all war and whatever it is the other two require of him.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    That would be the completion of one of the prophecies around him, but he also needs to end all war and whatever it is the other two require of him.
    If Charlie's defeat is the endgame, then it'll be the last thing Parson accomplishes in Erfworld. The other prophecies will be fulfilled before then.

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #235
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    If Charlie's defeat is the endgame, then it'll be the last thing Parson accomplishes in Erfworld. The other prophecies will be fulfilled before then.
    Depends if Charlie is the biggest threat out there. I think we're all under the impression that Charlie is fighting Fate in some fashion (whether metaphorically or literally), and Fate is certainly moving heaven and erf to let Parson schwack Charlie. But what happens after Parson does? His utility is wrapped up and he may find himself fighting Fate, much as Charlie was.

I don't see Charlie as the ultimate Big Bad. He's a monster, yes, but I wonder if we really understand the stakes that everyone's playing for here. Parson certainly doesn't have the whole picture and if Charlie does he's not inclined to share.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wayson View Post
    Depends if Charlie is the biggest threat out there. I think we're all under the impression that Charlie is fighting Fate in some fashion (whether metaphorically or literally), and Fate is certainly moving heaven and erf to let Parson schwack Charlie. But what happens after Parson does? His utility is wrapped up and he may find himself fighting Fate, much as Charlie was.

I don't see Charlie as the ultimate Big Bad. He's a monster, yes, but I wonder if we really understand the stakes that everyone's playing for here. Parson certainly doesn't have the whole picture and if Charlie does he's not inclined to share.
    Me neither but that was the assumption Digo started with.

Extended Sig

27. - Top - End - #237

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Me neither but that was the assumption Digo started with.
    Considering how integral Charlie is in Parson's story, defeating him doesn't seem like something that could be topped afterwards.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

28. - Top - End - #238
    Banned

I don't see why not. All this Charlie stuff is (presumably) to show us that no matter how good you are at bending the rules that you can't beat Fate. Which will make it more interesting later when Parson has to go up against Fate himself.

It's a pretty boring story if the entire thing is just the protagonist being fated to win and the world rearranging itself so that can happen.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think Charlie's defeat will end the story. Honestly, he wasn't even the main focus in the first two books, just this one; and there have been plenty of hints of a larger danger and other things Parson will need to do, which don't seem that connected to Charlie.

30. - Top - End - #240

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    It's a pretty boring story if the entire thing is just the protagonist being fated to win and the world rearranging itself so that can happen.
    Well, Parson was fated to end war itself, so shouldn't it already be boring?

Though nothing so far goes against war ending by the destruction of most of Erfworld (according to Jack's calculations I believe). Hmm, that would be a pretty gutsy way to take the comic.
    Digo Dragon - Artist