New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: The Vanstermen IC

Ready to go double check on the wounded high captain Alynsget, Lim instead heeds his own high captains words and heads for the barn.

While up top, he takes survey of the surrounding area, the smoke, the yelling, the death. It reminds him so much of that last night in Vansterman, so instead he focuses on keeping the fire down and himself up on the roof.

Spoiler: Acrobatics
    Show
    (1d20+7)[13]

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ettin in the Playground

Geršr sighs with relief upon seeing her hunters. No need to rouse them from their homes, at least. "We're hunting dangerous game tonight. Captain Dorinsget attempted a mutiny and set the Hall on fire with us inside. We are going to find him and kill him and whatever raiders he has with him. He's wounded, so be on the lookout for blood, and he seems to have headed towards the square. It may be a feint before heading down one of the roads, and out into the forest or toward the ships, so keep eyes and ears open."

Geršr thinks through her options here. The southeast trail is out as the hunters just came from there. The ships make the most sense on the face of it. Dorinsget still has his ship. But a ship would do him no good at the moment, unless he has a hidden supply store. "He's smart. He'll know we know the west trail and forest too well for him to hide that way, and his ship won't be of much use immediately. Everybody to the eastern trail doublequick. Might be we catch sight of them quick. They're probably trying to get lost in the hills on us. Once we're out there, if you see another person shoot to kill. No questions, no quarter."
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kįra nods in acknowledgement and hurries off to the well with Jenner close behind her. "Give me a hand with these ropes!" She begins the laborious process of hauling up water, handing off buckets to the other villagers to carry. With time being of the essence, she pushes herself hard, and soon is sweating head to toe.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Constitution check to determine how long and how hard Kįra can keep working.

Constitution - (1d20+3)[5]

Edit: Well, shucks.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2017-01-20 at 10:54 AM.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Over the next couple hours the fire guts the inside of the Great Hall but doesn't spread from there. Kįra and Longclaw worked furiously, but after the heated fight inside the burning hall, the crisp air and manual labor proved increasingly exhausting. In the short time that they were able to work together at the well, though, they managed to keep the fire away from the Captains long enough for them to work. Bloodmane and the others built up snow banks between the other buildings and Lim kept the sparks off the barn. Other villagers were helping once the word went out and even Alynsget was taken somewhere out of the cold. It was a long and arduous job, but in the end it was as successful as it could really be.

Geršr, on the other hand, followed the muddy trail leading east from the village for almost an hour before it tapered off into nothing, showing no sign of Dorinsget or his men. Doubling back, she and her hunters sped right through town, half taking the south west trail into the forest, and the other half running to the shores. Halfway there she sees smoke rising up from the horizon and her hunters redouble their efforts. The group of you arrive at the beach where many of the great ships were run aground for the winter only to find those remaining up in flames. The small fleet of short ships used by the fishermen remained untouched, but Tora's Heart, Dorinsget's ship, is nowhere to be seen. As Geršr takes in the scene, a small group of fishermen approach. They explain how the raiders ran in, led by a wounded Captain, and attacked anyone who didn't flee. A few people have rough bandages over cut arms or dark bruises across their faces. It seems that Dorinsget's got a solid lead in his escape.

In the hours following the failed mutiny, each of the wounded was seen to by the healers on hand, and word of the fires on the beach has made its way to the village. Despite the cold and the dark, people are gathered around the village square asking questions and supposing rumors and telling stories that may or may not be true. No official word has come from the High Captains and with Alynsget recovering somewhere in private, the calls for answers were falling to Bloodmane. She has you three gathered by the storage barn along with Jenner Longclaw as a chant rises up from the square,

"We want answers! We want answers!"

She looks to the group of you and quietly asks, "What should I tell them? That a man they respected and loved tried to seize control? Do you think they'll believe me?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Right now Bloodmane needs to answer to the people and she's looking to you all for advice. After this we'll speed along to the end of Winter and the beginning of Spring, so let me know how each of you tackle the end of the season in a portion of your response.

Going after Dorinsget this moment is incredibly dangerous and risky as it would require rowing a short ship out to see in any possible direction in the hopes of finding him while he goes faster, with more help and a head start. That being said, if it was wrong for me to make that choice, let me know.
    Games GMed
    The Vanstermen: OOC - IC

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'm sorry I couldn't bring him in. I outsmarted myself on it. But I say you tell the truth. We've got witnesses . And if you tell them Alynsget will say more when he's recovered, they'll believe him. They seem to buy his crap. And if he tries to say anything that'll turn them against you, he'll find that an arrow to the gut stops him talkin' pretty well."

Show
    Dang it. When I posted the choice to head east, I had initially planned to post the night before and head straight for the ships. But I slept on it and thought it would be too obvious, so I started thinking it over (and that bit about the east being largely unexplored suckered me in). Dang it.

Geršr finds ways to put her anger to good use during the winter. She helps out with the effort to reclaim wood from the burned ships, and she spends a lot of time at her maps, trying to figure out where Dorinsget might have set off toward. She's never quite sure enough to propose a hunting party, though. For the time being, she tries to find solace through camaraderie with her hunters. Anbotha is the only one she'll reveal her disappointment in herself to - it's a pain Geršr thinks the other woman can sympathize with.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2017-01-26 at 09:54 PM.
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Hearing the crowd grow louder, Lim nods to his captains questions,

"Best tell 'em what happened. It'll get out one way or another, enough survivors coming out of there and all. What they make of it can't be controlled, but at least you'll have told them the truth."

After a pause, Lim adds

"I've got your back either way cap'n, I can do my best to run damage control once it's all said and done."

Going forward through winter, Lim will stick by what he said. Whatever else he does, Lim is going to continue talking to the people. This time taking a bit more active role rather than just listening and suggesting, he'll try to sway people onto the High Captains side if they aren't already. And if Bloodmane doesn't stop him, he'll try to field questions as they come throughout the winter.
    Other than that, he'll check on Alynsget, and offer to train the man with a dagger or shortsword, offering the advice: "If you're going to carry that around, you'd better know how to use it... cap'n" ("that" referring to the sword at his side)

7. - Top - End - #337

Kįra nods in agreement with Lim. "The truth is the only thing we can tell them. Any lies or half-truths will only come circling back again, sowing resentment. And that's not what we need, with Dorinsget still out there."

Kįra thinks for a moment, then adds "For my part, I wasn't as fast as I should have been. We could have had the bastard back there in the Hall... " Kįra looks away, cursing silently.

As winter progresses, Kįra does what she knows best: determined not to let the treachery be set aside, she goes about crafting a suitably sobering ballad concerning Dorinsget's mutiny. She makes sure that it's also rousing enough to be a crowd pleaser, and makes sure to perform it, with her apprentice's help, regularly. She continues work, when the weather allows, on the well, and puts some thought into how best to plan a wall for the village come spring. What little free time she has she spends with her young nephews, and uses them as a reminder of what she stands to lose should the settlement become complacent.
    Last edited by Woggle; 2017-01-26 at 07:47 PM.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    GMing: City of Thieves (IC|OOC)
    PbP: Bobin (IC|OOC)

8. - Top - End - #338
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Jenner adds a solemn nod as each of you explain the case for truth. High Captain Bloodmane nods at the combined advice of some of her most trusted and relied upon crew, takes a deep breath, and leads your small group away from the barn and into the torchlight to face the gathered crowds. The shouting dies off as the crowd see her approach and prepare to speak and a hush falls over the village square.

"P-people of Vansterland! Today, at a Captain's Council, a dastardly ambush killed two Captains and several sworn men and women. The intent was for one Captain to eliminate any in his way and seize what he thought to be his rightful place as the sole ruler of Tannaland. Of you. Of your families, your fields, your futures. And while his plan failed to go as expected, he still made good his escape. And so I stand before you, witnesses at hand, and declare the truth: my name is High Captain Lorana Bloodmane, and I accuse Hansul Dorinsget of mutiny!"

The rise of exclamations, cries, and whispers fuels a low roar of conversation at this news but a few cries ring out loud and clear. "Liar!" "Traitor!" "That's impossible!" The owners of those voices are lost in the crowds, though, and they are quickly drowned out by the din. After a moment, Bloodmane raises her hands and speaks again, shouting over the crowds.

"I have told you the truth, from my own eyes to your ears and anyone that was in that Hall will tell you the same! But we must remain strong! Now is not the time to fall to petty divisions! We will endure this winter, and the next, and the next after that, and so on until our grandchildren's grandchildren will only remember Tannaland as their ancestral home. Because this is where we are, and this is where we will be for all years to come!"

There's a cheer from the crowd, but it's short lived and soon people are peeling off from the group to their homes. Some fleeing the dark, some fleeing the cold, others fleeing the truth.

Chronicled Timeline
    Mid to End Winter 479
    -Unnamed Village-
    Tannaland

The remaining weeks of winter are a bit grim and plenty of people seem to be in ill moods since the mutiny. Lim does a fair job talking to people and reiterating the truth of that night, and even manages to convince a few Dorinsget loyalists with sound argument and facts. However, he does come across a laborer who staunchly refuses to believe Bloodmane's story. His argument boils down to, "Only her people really made it out of there and none of them are gonna say a bad thing about her. It could be that Dorinsget was ambushed and managed to escape before he was hunted down."

And when Lim does go to visit Alynsget, he's surprised to see the High Captain bedridden, even weeks later. According to Vera he took sick shortly after the mutiny and hasn't been the same. He's been wasting away in his home and everyone that visits him is subjected to a little speech of his own. "We've been doing it wrong, you know. Divided rulers create divided peoples, my father always said. If we really want to succeed then Dorinsget was right in one way: we need to unite behind one leader. And I full-heartedly believe that leader to be... Lorana Bloodmane. She's a strong, capable leader and won't ever lead my people astray. Tell everyone you can: One people, one leader!" Alynsget's condition deteriorates slowly for the rest of the season, but he holds to his message and doesn't seem to be feverish.

Meanwhile, during the breaks in weather, Kįra's work crew finally clear the well. It's an arduous process and one man takes a major injury when a loose stone crashes into his shoulder as he's down in the hole, but he's expected to recover with rest. During the times when she's free, Kįra and Jor work together to build a ballad out of the occasion and find some success. It's a sweeping musical score that starts with the simmering angers of The Old Captain Overlooked and blends seamlessly with rousing piece The Lost Shot at Glory which finally comes to a head with The Flames of Betrayal. At the end of the final piece there's a moralistic chorus that espouses the importance of setting aside pride to make the group thrive. The breaking the ballad into three parts was Jor's idea and he says it makes the story easier to learn.

Geršr finds herself spending more time overseeing her hunters training during the winter than she expected. Each of the seven hunters in her group before have recruited another four individuals of similar capability and have been teaching them the methods and tricks that Geršr taught the originals. Anbotha has taken a leadership role in Geršr's few absences and seems proud of the work done so far. By the end of the winter each of the new hunters seems to be nearly on par with the veterans. By Geršr's count there are now thirty five hunters effectively under her leadership, and they've got enough structure and hierarchy sorted out to function completely without her direct oversight.

Show
    You can respond to these situations if you wish, but I will only respond with what comes of it and not flesh out a full scene from what is effectively the past.

Chronicled Timeline
    Early Spring 480
    -Unnamed Village-
    Tannaland

Spring. The time of renewal, birth, and oftentimes copious amounts of rain! The changing of the seasons was marked by nearly a week of heavy rainfalls turning snow into mush and mud everywhere. The temperature's still chilly, and a few people do have seasonal coughs, but largely winter seems to be behind you. Over the last week a number of things have happened. Most of the snow and ice has melted away and the stream to the east has started flowing in earnest. The small flock of sheep that amazingly survived all this way without being butchered and eaten have birthed a few lambs. The shepherds are proud and there are many promises of a large flock in the years to come.

Kįra's time with her nephews results in them playing out in the fields during the few hours between rainfalls. One particular afternoon out, Balder shows Aunt Kįra the "Rock Hill" where he and some of the other kids played. Actually taking a look at the hill, she notices that entire sections are removed rather purposefully. Further investigation reveals a series of tool marks long weathered down and Kįra realizes that this would probably be the closest thing to a stone quarry for the village's original founders. What's more, it's a damn good source of stone for building anything from a wall to another Great Hall.

Geršr, on the other hand, spends more and more time with Bloodmane since the changing of the seasons. The elder warrior woman takes her deep into the woods even during the fiercest rainstorms and shows her again and again how to lose oneself in a battle rage. How to move quickly, and agilely without the weight of armor holding her down. How to let the inner self go berserk! All this she tries to teach Geršr over long days in the pouring rain, away from the rest of the village.

Show
    You can respond to these situations if you wish, but I will only respond with what comes of it and would prefer to not flesh out a full scene from what is effectively the past.

After the first week of Spring, Bloodmane calls a meeting in her home. As you three arrive you see Jenner Longclaw, Merrick and Sera Tolvarsget, Beck Eriksget, and the halfling Captain of the Sea Stag: Frennik Kollsget. In the largest room of her modest home, Bloodmane has the original map of the sea spread open on the table before you all. "Welcome. Now that you're all here we can get started." She points to the small, curved island south of Vansterland which you all recognize as Tannaland, your current home. "This is us. We came in from the north side and settled at the most convenient location. Not saying it's a bad place, but we don't know squat about the rest of our new homeland. That's where you lot come in. I want maps, reports, and information about every damn mile of this rock. You'll be splitting into three groups. Jenner, take the twins and any others that will follow you and head south from the west. Circle the island and come back in. Captain Kollsget, take Beck here along with your crew and go north. Circle around and come back. I expect you both to pass somewhere on the opposite coast, which is good. Geršr, Kįra, and Lim, I want you to head south through the mountains. It's likely the most dangerous path, and the longest, but that's why I'm sending you. Any questions?"

Spoiler: OOC - Please Read
    Show
    This will be the new leg of this campaign: Exploration + Survival as a small party. This might be as close to traditional D&D as we get and I have some things planned along the way. But we're not here to play out a story I have planned, we're here to tell a story together. So, if you could please give me some ideas as to what you would like to see in this next chapter I will try to best incorporate what I can into the story. Keep in mind the tone and restrictions of this setting, and please understand that somethings might just not fit. Oh, one more thing...

Everyone Levels Up!

I'm also gonna take a moment here to explain my thoughts on Multiclassing. While I'm not against it, I want to see some In Character work put into it. For example: Geršr's near-death annihilation of a wolf pack and the glimmer of madness from almost losing her sister in addition to a willing mentor in Bloodmane have earned her the In Character right to take Barbarian Levels and especially Wolf Totem should she come to it. Taking levels in Fighter is almost universally allowed (I can't see any problems with it at the moment), and taking levels in Rogue could make sense if you give me a damn good reason.
    Games GMed

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ettin in the Playground

"Aye, High Captain. I've been wanting to pass those mountains since I saw them. I just have a few things to take care of and I'll be ready to go within an hour," Geršr says.

During her hour, Geršr returns to her house. She's made it a home of sorts, comfortable enough in its sparseness. Her oar and red figurine from that first raid are displayed prominently, and she has a drawer in which she keeps the nicest coins she got out of that raid.

She picks up her armor, thinking about the training with High Captain Bloodmane. The leather feels thin, or perhaps her skin feels thicker. She seems to make a decision and sets in on her bed. After she pulls on her breeches and boots, she takes a length of cloth and begins to wrap herself with it, binding her breasts before pulling on a tight fitting shirt over her head. She smiles into the mirror, another trophy of the hunt, and feels tough, as she folds her wolfskin cloak up and puts it in her backpack.

Slinging her armor over her shoulder, she heads off with a pocket of gold (10 gp) to get herself a shield. High Captain Bloodmane taught her a lot about getting close in combat, and although Geršr kind of likes the idea, she's still much more comfortable with distance. Maybe the shield could help approximate that distance. With shield on hand, Geršr then goes to find her mother, letting her know that she'll be off exploring the island interior for a while but not to worry.

After her mother, Geršr looks for her sister, and hands off her armor as a gift. "Stay safe on the hunt, kid," she says before pulling Sóley in for a hug. She smiles warmly at the girl - no, she's a woman now - and goes to find Anbotha, the last person on her list.

She finds Anbotha at her house, and they have some strips of cured wolf meat and converse. "I want you to know that High Captain Bloodmane has asked me and a few others to explore the island interior. And that means you're in charge of the hunts."

She smiles at Anbotha, letting her have time to react.

"There's only two final things I'll ask as huntmaster before turning the job over. First, I ask that you keep up my duties of reporting to the High Captain. She's a good woman, and her insights are worthwhile. To be honest, I think she also appreciates the company." She grins at that.

"The other thing, is I don't know how long we'll be gone. And we don't know when Dorinsget might come back. I'd like you to have some stations in sight of the beach stocked with arrows and pitch. If any of the hunters see Dorinsget's ship, I want a runner sent to gather the others, flaming arrows put through his sails, and every last man on board dead before they can reach shore. Full force strikes, no holding back. [that is, anyone with Sharpshooter should always take the -5/+10 option]. I should have had him dead in the Hall. It's my fault he's out there, and I'm hoping this order can fix it.

Geršr gives a rueful smile to her friend and replacement, before standing to leave. She starts heading for the door, with Anbotha walking beside her. As Anbotha opens the door, Geršr isn't quite sure what comes over her, but she hugs the other woman, and motions for her to lean in. "Don't worry about me. I'll be back," she whispers, before kissing Anbotha on the cheek. Geršr turns and heads off to find Lim and Kįra before she can respond.

Spoiler: What I'm carrying, post-resupply:
    Show

Carrying Capacity 195 lbs

3 quivers with 60 arrows (6 lbs)
    My weapons (7 lbs)
    Shield (6 lbs)

Backpack (5 lbs)
    Blank book from Alynsget (5 lbs)
    Bedroll (7 lbs)
    50 feet rope (10 lbs)
    Cartographer's tools (6 lbs)
    Waterskin (5 lbs)
    Tinderbox (1 lb)
    Whetstone (1 lb)
    Direwolf pelt, for rainy days (10 lbs)
    3 oz of ink and a half dozen pens (negligible)

Total carried weight: 69 lbs
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2017-01-29 at 04:39 AM.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

In response to the stubborn laborer, Lim asks him to talk to Alynsget and if the man still doesn't believe him after that Lim will promise to drop the matter with him.

Going forward, Lim reflects on his time spent teaching. In such a short amount of time he's had what he would consider a total failure on his part and a star pupil.
    It's also taught him more about his path. Being a raider kept his skills sharp, but didn't give him much time to develop further or learn anything new. But now with the exodus from Vansterland, Lim has been forced to adapt to the new situation. He's been more talkative in the past few months than in the years before, he's found better allies, and he would consider better friends, in his raiding party than any before. To top it off he's found a place to call home, and a reason to return to it safely.
    This, coupled with the extended time at sea, has made him quicker on his feet and able to react to danger faster. Where he would normally shift to turn away from the trunk a falling tree, he's learned how to duck, dive, and tumble to avoid the branches as well.
    In teaching Mik and Sóley, as well as working alongside Vera, Lim has been able to spot better areas to target when chasing down foes.

After Bloodmane's announcement Lim smiles and nods, excited to set out and explore this new land.

"I thank ya for this cap'n. Shame you won't be able to join us, but I'll make sure I have enough adventure out there for the both of us."

Heading back home to pack up, Lim spends what time he can with Vera before taking the necessities and meeting back up with the other two.

If he sees Sóley he'll wave her over,

"I'm sure your sister's told ya to be careful already, so you'd better listen to her. You know what you're doing out there, but try to keep the others safe while you're at it won't ya?"

11. - Top - End - #341

As winter slowly releases its grasp on the village, Kįra is pleased with the work on the well. A single, recoverable injury is a small price to pay for a cleared-out well. The work couldn't very well have gone any better, she thinks to herself. Jor's efficacious help with the ballad is a welcome surprise. Kįra agrees with his decision to split up the song, and is glad that he's showing a knack for performance.

As spring begins to show itself, Kįra finds herself in improving spirits. Despite an attempted mutiny, winter could still have been worse. Happy to spend time in the improving weather (when it's not raining, anyway) with her family, she's excited when they stumble across the old quarry. A source of workable stone, so close to the village, is a fair boon indeed. The discovery, however, does prompt a question or two to niggle away in the back of her mind as to what led to the end of the previous village and its inhabitants.

Despite the improving fortunes of the village, with the improving weather Kįra begins to feel that old, familiar itch to wander. As such, she's excited to hear from Captain Bloodmane. An expedition to the interior is the perfect chance to sate her own curiosity on the matter. "I'll be glad to help. If possible, I'd like to get someone to see to my armour before we set out; it's seen a fair bit of abuse, what with the foreigners, and mutineers. Otherwise I'll be ready once I say a few goodbyes."

Kįra goes about collecting what she needs for the expedition, and makes sure to say goodbye to her nephews and their mother, making sure to reassure them that she will, indeed, return. She seeks out Jor, placing a hand on the young man's shoulder, thanking him for his help and hoping he'll continue to practice in Kįra's absence. With everything ready, she goes to find Lim and Geršr.

Show

If it's possible (and I realize it may well not be, especially considering the state of the village, etc) would it be possible to upgrade Kįra's scale mail to be the equivalent of a breastplate (same AC, but no disadvantage on stealth) or bump up its AC by one?

Edit: Oh, and can we fit three in a tent meant for two, if two of us are halflings?
    Last edited by Woggle; 2017-01-29 at 03:49 PM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"You've all got the rest of today to prepare. I'd like you to start going first thing in the morning, though," Bloodmane says to the group. Those captaining ships nod and head off to gather supplies and sailors. The three of you each have your own tasks to get to and you leave the High Captain's house in an excited hurry. Geršr says goodbye to her loved ones, resupplies herself, and even leaves parting instructions with the remaining hunters. Lim does much the same, but in his goodbyes he learns that while the hunters would like to have her with them, Sóley will be studying under Vera for some time. Until she's sure she won't lose anyone to a grievous wound ever again, by her own words. Kįra's luck seems to be in line because as she approaches the master blacksmith in the village he seems to have been expecting her. At her request for better armor of one sort or another he reveals that he's been working on something for the last few weeks and that it'll be ready in the morning. Kįra says her goodbyes throughout the day and when she returns in the morning the blacksmith looks exhausted but pleased with himself. He presents Kįra with a grand breastplate of simple design. The straps are somewhat reminiscent of the foreign strangers, black with silver buckles, but the fur lining hearkens back to classic Vansterman armors. "I was noticing that everyone kept getting stabbed through the spots between chain links or scales, eh? So I thought, why not just wear a shield? Well, I may have been a bit drunk, but the idea stuck and here we are. Took a dog's age to get it done, and though we wanted to give it to Bloodmane, I think she'd rather you take it for yer mission," he says bashfully. [Kįra receives a Breastplate, the only one in the village.]

Soon, the group of you are gathered in the center of the village and while there's nearly two dozen brave souls being sent out to explore, there's also a surprising amount of people gathered around to wish you well. Nearly a hundred people or more have gathered in the early pre-dawn light to celebrate the moving forward of their heroes. You brave men and women risking yourselves to further the knowledge of those unable to face the same dangers. For a moment the entire square is hushed as High Captain Bloodmane steps forward to speak. "We've had a hard lot in this life. From the shores of death and destruction, to the open seas of desperation, to an island sanctuary that we can make strong by being strong. Our greatest danger is no longer other people, but nature itself. And the only way to defeat that danger is to know more and more everyday. To know the land as well as the eagles in the sky, as well as the fish in the sea, and even better than the wolves in the woods. And that is why, by command of the High Captains, I ask you to go out and explore fully and thoroughly. And I also command you to return, safe and whole, when you're done or can do no more." She draws her bright blade high and it catches the faintest glimmer of early dawn light, shining like a polished mirror.

There's a cheer from the gathered crowds and the explorers start moving. Jenner's crew head off at a jog first, moving past Bloodmane towards the farmlands and then taking the road west towards the beaches. Captain Kollsget's group start jogging after and follow Jenner's crew towards their ships. Suddenly it's the three of you, loaded with supplies, surrounded by the hundred or so proud villagers, alone before Bloodmane. She gives you an almost imperceptible nod, and with that you turn and head for the forests to the south. The cheers and well wishes of your people echoing out behind you.

Spoiler: OOC Information
    Show
    Alright, here we go. Some things to know that your characters would know:
    Geršr has a pretty solid idea of the paths, trails, and streams south of the village as she's spent the most time out here. She knows that traveling at a steady pace you can reach the foothills of the mountains by the end of the first day. No one's gone further than that, though.

Each day spent traveling I'll want a simple marching order. Who's where, doing what, and how well? So, as an example, say for the first day Lim's going to scout ahead because he's fast and sneaky. I'd like to know that, as well as a roll for Stealth. (Note to Lim: If you're going to be going from tree to tree, give me an Acrobatics Roll as well).

I'll be rolling for random encounters, as this is Spring and plenty of animals are more active this time of year than during winter. I'd like you to also track how many rations you have, where you're restocking them, etc. Here's an easy example:

Ration count: 9/10. End of Day 1.

Of course, you have full access to hunting, replenishing water supplies, and other survival tricks while you're out here in the wilderness, so I don't expect it to be a huge problem. Maybe if someone get's separated. That'd be interesting.

Anyways, if there's any questions, feel free to ask.
    Games GMed

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

Outlander background feature to the rescue - rations are unnecessary. Geršr passively can cover sufficient food and water every day for herself and her companions (if we want more food, that'll take active foraging, but I figure if we make a kill during the day we can dress and take a couple days' worth to give ourselves good meals, so we can do something similar to the ration thing).

"Okay, so we've got until morning to figure it out," Geršr says after the gathering. "Good to have the band back together. I can get us to the mountain foothills quickly, and don't worry about food - I've gotten good at figuring out what around here is edible."

She pauses to consider. "We might change it from the first day, but until we reach the mountains I should probably take point. Lim, if you think trees are best, I want you up there where you can be our eyes in the air. Kįra, I want you with me. Best if we're both close to each other in case we're set upon. What do you think?"

14. - Top - End - #344
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"Yeah it is."

Lim says with a smile,

"Should be fun to see what we'll find going out this way. And the trees sound just fine, I'll see if I can keep up with the two of you up there."

For at least the first day, Lim tries to see how well he can manage up top. Depending on how this day goes will dictate whether he spends the rest of the trip in the trees or on the ground.

Spoiler: Tree roll
    Show
    Acrobatics: (1d20+7)[12]

15. - Top - End - #345

Kįra nods in agreement with Lim. "That sounds like a wise course. I'll stay a step or two behind you, Geršr." As the three set off, Kįra sings an old song of adventure involving King Halfdan and some ornery wildmen, (one of her personal favourites) to invigorate the three of them on their way into the mountains.

Kįra follows a few steps behind Geršr, a javelin in hand and a second with her shield, just in case. She hums a few tunes along the way, mostly to herself.

Spoiler: Inspiring Leader
    Show

Kįra will make use of her Inspiring Leader feat as the three set off, granting them each 10 temporary HP. As far as I can tell, there isn't any time limit on them, so they won't have to be renewed until we use them (unless Minty wants to rule otherwise, of course.)
    Last edited by Woggle; 2017-01-30 at 05:24 PM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #346
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The Spring Sojourn

The first day seems to be going well as you're traveling through roughly familiar territory. Kįra has the least amount of experience in these woods, but with the halflings leading the way it seems to be a peaceful enough trail. The dawn rose to a murky grey day and while the sky remained overcast it seemed to withhold it's rain for the time being. Many of the streams and watering holes that Geršr leads you around look to be swollen and flooding out onto trails and drowning any plants living along their banks. Tracks have been aplenty in the fresh mud and soft earth, but without needing to feed a large amount of people there's nothing to gain from hunting right now. Before you stop for your midday break, you do cross paths with one startled deer, though, which bolts off into the underbrush.

Later in the day the sky darkens and the clouds let loose with their rain. Lim chooses to stop tree-hopping like an overgrown squirrel once he sees how slippery the branches and boughs actually get in the rain. The sounds of thunder seem to rumble from far off and with your limited visibility through the trees, none of you see any sign of lightning, which is a good omen. It generally means that the heart of the storm is far enough away that the day won't get much worse. At this point each of you notices that the land around you is becoming a bit more hill-like or rocky. Many paths are curving around the rises in the ground and some even crest them to find new valleys to follow. You're most definitely in the foothills of a mountain range, and the rain makes it a difficult trek. And so the day goes, steadily raining, peaceful, and southerly. At one point Geršr points out a boar, huddled underneath a covering branch but without the need to hunt you three can pass it by safely.

By the end of the day the night has made safe travel impossible. It's still raining and it's so dark that without torches or a lantern there's a serious risk of someone getting hurt. You have just enough light to start setting up camp before darkness totally encloses you.

Show
    Sorry about the delay. Mondays are busy for me and yesterday I had an afterwork thing.

Let me know what you're doing to set up camp and what the guard rotations are, if any. Let me know what other precautions you take, such as suspending food from a tree, or lighting a campfire, etc.

Also, Temporary Hitpoints last until you finish a long rest, as per PHB 198.
    Give me another set of rolls for the next day, but consider them washed out if something occurs during the night.
    Games GMed

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

"Okay, let's see if we can find a good spot to put up for the night," Geršr says as she begins assessing the immediate area. (1d20+3)[21] (survival - if a roll to do so is necessary and survival is the right roll).

"Anything that's safe to get wet should probably hang from a branch, while anything that needs to stay dry goes in the tent. Three of us, three shifts? If we got a lantern, we're good to go in the rain, too. If so, I'll take first watch," she continues after finding the best possible spot in the area.

Spoiler: Watch
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+3)[17]

18. - Top - End - #348
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Lim, being more used to the comforts of a ship or a house on dry land, follows Geršr's lead and sets up ropes from trees for hanging supplies.

"I don't think I've ever owned a tent in my life, if it isn't too much to ask would I be able to bunk with one of you? I can always break off a branch and camp out under that if need be."

"I can take second watch, not too great in the dark but I figure I can listen for anything rustling around out there."

Show
    Perception - If it's cool with you I'll stick with my passive perception (18). Better odds of spotting something with that than rolling for it I think.

19. - Top - End - #349

Kįra gives Lim and Geršr a hand with hanging up supplies, then quickly sets up the small tent from her pack.

"There's plenty of room for two of us to sleep in the tent at a time, Lim. I wasn't intending you sleep out in the rain," Kįra replies with a grin.

Taking a hooded lantern from her pack, Kįra lights it and closes the shutter. "I'll take first watch, if you two want to get some rest." Kįra sets herself down against a tree with her sword belt at her side and a javelin tucked against her shoulder, the hood of her cloak pulled up to fend off the rain and the lantern turned down before her. She peers off into the night, listening for any sound to be heard over the pitter-patter of rain and the distant rumble of thunder.

Show

Kįra's perception roll, if it's needed:

Perception - (1d20+3)[14]
    Last edited by Woggle; 2017-02-02 at 09:36 AM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Night 1

With Geršr's guidance you manage to find a copse of trees on a rise just a couple dozen feet from the game trail. Working together you suspend most of the supplies from a high branch and make a comfortable camp. No fire in the rain, though and those keeping watch make do with a single lantern. Kįra takes the first watch and has nothing to report by the time she wake's Lim for his turn. Lim also passes a quiet night and wakes Geršr just as the rain drizzles itself out. During the last hour of her watch, Geršr notices a medium sized bear sniffing along the trail and coming towards the camp site. She's somewhat familiar with this breed, as they're the smallest of the fully grown bears she's seen and easily recognized because of their black fur. Normally scavengers, occasionally berry eaters, and sometimes hunters, this bear is likely following the scent of your food, which is suspended about fifteen feet off the ground. It doesn't seem to have noticed Geršr yet.

What do you do?
    Show
    To reiterate, this is about the 8th hour of the night, there's a bit of dawnlight promised to the east, but not yet enough to see clearly by. Consider the area to be in Dim Light. If the others were to awake, they could continue the day with the effects of a full rest.
    Games GMed

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

Geršr pulls up her bow and watches, trying to decide what to do. Having some bear meat wouldn't be a bad thing, she decides. She takes a moment to nudge Lim and Kįra. "Got a bear comin' our way," she says, before firing two arrows when she has a clear view of the bear.

Spoiler: Arrows
    Show

Arrow 1: (1d20+3)[12]
    Damage: (1d6+13)[15]
    Crit[22-23]: (1d6)[6]

Arrow 2: (1d20+3)[22]
    Damage: (1d6+13)[19]
    Crit[22-23]: (1d6)[4]

When the bear drops, she runs to the body to gather her arrows.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    If it's a bog standard black bear, that probably smoked it hard. The others don't even need to react.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2017-02-03 at 12:36 PM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ettin in the Playground

Day 2: Morning

Geršr drags the bear back to the campsite while her companions rouse themselves and begins to butcher the beast for some choice meat to be brought along. When the other two emerge from the tent, she smiles. "I got us breakfast." She points toward the mountains. "Looks like we're starting to head up there today. I say we be careful and try not to attract too much attention to ourselves if possible. No telling what we'll find - someone was here before us, and while they're not where we've been, I don't expect they're entirely gone."

She'll suggest everyone keep close as best as possible. If Lim thinks trees are still the best for him, no issue there, but regardless of the approach, Geršr is going to recommend as much stealth as possible for everybody, because she's seen what happens if a pack of wolves gets the drop on you (if the rest of the group doesn't agree, then that's overruled and we can ignore my stealth roll below). While walking, I'll keep an eye out for food (outlander), but will especially be looking for edible berries and nuts that we can stockpile some of for the days ahead. She'll also work on putting together quick sketch maps of the path during meal time and before bed.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Stealth: (1d20+3)[14]

Cartography (for mapmaking - if necessary): (1d20+3)[9]

Survival (checking for edible berries and nuts): (1d20+3)[18]

23. - Top - End - #353
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Being nudged awake to see Geršr drop a bear where it stood didn't bother Lim so much since he could appreciate the kill.

"Nice"

A whispered comment, and Lim falls back asleep almost immediately, only to get woken up in less than an hour by the rising sun.

Through mouthfuls of bear meat, Lim mentions his gratitude for the meal, and agrees with her assessment of staying stealthy to avoid danger.

Taking a look around, he decides the ground is his best bet. No telling how wet the branches are after the rain last night.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+10)[29]
    And scanning the area for danger, if I can use my passive perception (18) I'll go with that. If you'd prefer I roll, feel free to use the one below.
    Perception (if no passive): (1d20+8)[10]

24. - Top - End - #354
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Day 2

There's more than a fair amount of meat on this bear. If you're taking the time to strip and dress the entire animal, it might take you an entire day. But knowing that you need to pack light and that there may be more to eat along the way, you only take a few pounds each as you set off up the thin trail into the mountains before you.

During the first half of the day the trail leads to a river bank that flows roughly northward to some destination behind you. Following the water upstream you continue southerly, and uphill. The hours slip by while you trek under a grey blanket of clouds. It hasn't rained again but the farther south you go the higher up you seem to be getting. And the river seems to be faster the farther south you go. It's about midday when you take your first break at the top of a steep incline. The trail peeled away from the river about a hundred yards but the sounds of rushing water has been amplified by the short waterfall cascading down to the forests below. And that's the keyword: below. Looking out over your progress you can see the forest laid out bare before you, an ever expanding rug of evergreens and leafless trees. Looking up at the direction you have to take, there's even more trees towering above you as they scale the mountains themselves. Those few times you get a glance at some distant peak, you see that the mountaintops are still in the grips of winter.

You rest up for a moment here, eat what you carry, refill your skins at the river's edge, and carry on along the trail. Continuously uphill, within earshot of the rapids to your left and with the sun starting to dip towards the mountain ridge to your right. After a few more hours, Lim holds up his hand to halt the group. Wordlessly, he points up at the trees above, in the slick branches and trunks, your attention is drawn to claw marks in the wood. From down here, it's impossible to tell how fresh they are.

Show
    I'll pause here for now. Without a roll I assumed a 12 for Kįra's Stealth. I'll say Lim noticed the claw marks with his Passive Perception and if he wants to investigate further he needs to get closer and give me a Investigate or Survival (tracking) Check.

It's about 7 hours into your 8 hour travel day.
    Sunset seems to be a bit early while your on this side of the mountain to your right.
    You expect it to get dark within the next 1 - 2 hours.
    You've had a full meal and replenished your water at the waterfall.
    The only tracks anyone's seen before this have been that of a goat a few hours ago.
    The water is fast and deep, swollen by the spring melt and rains of last night.
    Games GMed

25. - Top - End - #355
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Holding a finger to his lips for the other two to stay quiet, Lim sneaks ahead, making as little noise as he can.
    Once he reaches the tree, he runs his fingers across the marks, then realized he knows next to nothing about tracking animals.
    Thinking back to anything he had learned while raiding, Lim tries to see if anything pops out to give him a moment of clarity here.

Beyond that, Lim will take a look around to see if any creature is watching him, and if he feels confident that nothing else is around, he'll motion the other two forward so they can take a look as well.
    If he instead feels like something is lurking around, he'll find his way back to the group and warn them.

"I don't know what I can make of this, I figure you two would have a better idea of what this would be from."

Show
    Stealth to sneak up to it: (1d20+10)[11]
    Survival to look at the marks: (1d20+2)[14] I'm untrained in this, so feel free to ignore it and have Lim learn nothing from checking it out.
    Perception to check out the area: (1d20+8)[13]

If through some miracle I do learn something about the marks, I'll mention it to the other two.

26. - Top - End - #356

Kįra nods in silent acknowledgment of Lim's signal, and readies the javelin in her hand. While keeping on eye on Lim, Kįra takes note of how high on the tree the claw marks are, though she has little skill in identifying wild beasts.

When Lim returns, Kįra suggests "Another bear perhaps? Anyhow, we'd best be on our guard. Perhaps we would be best to take a little more time to look for a suitable place to camp, or see if we can't find more signs of beasts." Kįra turns to Geršr. "Do you recognize the claw marks? Should we be worried?"

While the three discuss what to do next, Kįra keeps a watchful eye on their surroundings, a javelin at the ready.

Show

Kįra will roll Stealth and Perception for any upcoming general use.

Stealth - (1d20+2)[14]
    Perception - (1d20+3)[5]
    Show

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

Geršr walks up to get a better look in the tree. Drawing her bright blade and holding it in her teeth, she starts to climb up to get a good, clear look at the marks, keeping an eye out for anything in the tree as she goes.

Show
    Assuming I can climb the tree with no issues - if not, let me know and I'll roll Athletics/Acrobatics in OOC, whichever you say I should.

Survival to check age of marks: (1d20+3)[22]
    Nature to identify them if survival doesn't cover that: (1d20)[5]

Depending on the nature of the marks, that'll determine Geršr's suggestion for when and where to bed down.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2017-02-10 at 01:20 PM.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Day 2

Lim scampers up one tree quickly and surefooted, takes a look at the claw marks, and notices that the grooves are still clean. That must mean that they're at most a day old. He doesn't recognize what the animal would be, but his first thought is bear, thanks to his breakfast this morning. Looking around he doesn't spot anything moving. Kįra crouches next to the trunk of Lim's tree and whispers her question as he drops down the last few feet, but she also doesn't see anything. Meanwhile, Geršr climbs a nearby tree and gets a very good look at a claw mark in the trunk. She can still smell the sap of the tree, and if she reflects the light from her bright blade just right... There! The tree is still seeping a light sap into the grooves. That means that the marks are very fresh. Maybe an hour, at most. Something else tickles the back of her mind when it comes to the claw marks: there's almost always four grooves, never more than that. Thinking back to the bear this morning, all five of it's claws were forward facing. In fact, four claws are much more indicative of wolves... or cats!

It's the moment that Geršr puts that last piece together that she notices the eerie stillness of the forest around her. No birds, no vermin, and no squirrels. As if the entire forest is as tense as a bowstring. Like that moment right before a predator strikes. As if... What was that?!

Everyone roll Initiative.
    Show
    Geršr gets to go during the surprise round, so I'll tell you what you see as it happens. Three mountain cats have pounced from on high. One on each of you. The one attacking Geršr is attacking from above in this very tree.

If Geršr rolls above Initiative 12, take your turn.
    You're 12 feet up in a tree.

Lim and Kįra are on the ground, at a tree 5 feet away.

Everyone should have +10 Temporary Hit Points, because I believe Kįra would be telling a story every morning, correct?
    Games GMed

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

Initiative: (1d20+8)[13]

Geršr looks up, just in time to see a very large cat jumping at her from the tree. Thinking quick, she knows a big cat's going to be a lot to deal with up close and she's better with her bow.... Can she create distance?

A flash of brilliance hits her. Just like she had hoped to with her wolf, she can make a good jump. But this time it'll put enough distance for her to fire off a couple arrows at her cat.

Geršr jumps off the tree toward the ground [if you need an acrobatics roll to land safely or pull this off, I'll do it in the OOC], letting her bright blade fall from her mouth and drawing her bow and two arrows. Best to make these count.

Spoiler: Attacks
    Show

Arrow 1: (1d20+3)[21]
    Damage: (1d6+13)[19]
    Crit [22-23]: +(1d6)[5]

Arrow 2: (1d20+3)[5]
    Damage: (1d6+13)[15]
    Crit [22-23]: +(1d6)[6]

Both arrows at my cat, unless by some improbable event I crit so hard with the first that it dies immediately.

'Big cats coming in! Spread out! Hit and run tactics, everybody," she shouts as she falls, firing her arrows upward.

Won't move, unless to dodge dead cat falling on me, so I can pick up my weapon next round.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2017-02-11 at 09:11 PM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Geršr's first arrow sinks deep into the giant cat's chest as the second embeds itself in the branch she was just standing on. As the halfling hits the ground, the large mountain cat lands next to her, but it's so dazed that the large paw is easily dodged. Not so for Kįra and Lim. Each is pounced upon by a large cat of their own and they're both knocked back in surprise*. If either of them are knocked prone, the mountain cats take quick pits out of their most exposed limbs with massive jaws.

Spoiler: Lim and Kįra
    Show
    I need a Strength Save from each of you. If you roll under 13, you are prone and your lion has bitten you (their attacks were rolled and they both hit). Lim will take 6 Damage for the first attack, and 6 for the bite. Kįra will take 8 for the first attack, and 8 for the bite.
    Games GMed