Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Harold

    Business hasn’t been going well, as of late. While you are still seen as a man with musical talent, there’s been a lot of competition at many of the venues you usually seek. The past few days have yielded very little opportunity.

    However, you’ve had a touch of luck, tonight, as you are requested to play at a small inn called The Dragon’s Kneecap, a place you’ve been to once or twice before. The owner of the inn, Barts Bogger, expects you to come in the early evening, and says he’ll provide for you a free meal and a fistful of silvers. You’ll be playing after the Gutless Rosies, a trio of musicians who are known for writing lyrics that parody tales of knights slaying dragons, and the like. With no other options, is it a question that you’ll go?

    You arrive at the inn on-time, spotting two men as you approach the entrance. They discuss something about the inn’s name as they look up at the sign, mounted on a post a couple of feet away.

    “What’s wrong with the sign? It reads fine: The Dragon’s Kneecap.” The other smacks his forehead. “You idiot, it’s supposed to be The Whore’s Nipple. Boss is changing the name on account of poor business. It’s got to be replaced.” The both stand silently for a moment, and the first one speaks again. “I don’t think the boss can read. Should we even care?”

    Len

    As you make your preparations to track down the individual known as Silverweave, you stop by the small inn of The Dragon’s Kneecap for rest. As you enter, you find it is a fairly merry place, with a handful of drunkards singing to the lively tune played by a trio of musicians in the corner. The floor is occupied with a variety of tables, save for where you find the bar, to the side. There, you spot a few wooden stools, some occupied by patrons, whom the barkeep is currently serving. Opposite the bar is a grand fireplace, which does a fine job of keeping the hall lit.

    There is a staircase in one of the far corners, which presumably leads to private rooms. There are also a couple of doors to be found on the base level, most likely storerooms.

    “Good evenin’, miss.” The barkeep looks to you with a full smile, giving you a full glimpse of his aging face. “Would you like a meal, or a couple of drinks? Or, would you just like a room for the night?”

    Ritan

    You quickly make your way to the location designated, arriving there in just minutes after departure. It is a small, quaint inn of which you’ve never been to, but inviting all the same. You suddenly remember hearing of it before, from one of your peers. The basement of this place is an illegal gambling house, as well as a holding area for many underhanded dealings. But, there’s never trouble at this place, you are sure, as those that operate here have an influence which ensure that places like this are secure through the many ties they hold. You arrive presumably earlier than expected, as your contact isn’t here. You double-check the information given to you, and find this is indeed the place. It seems you’ll just have to wait.

    You scan the tavern hall and find many interesting patrons. A dark-haired woman with muscles larger than many Orcish men stands at the bar as the innkeeper speaks to her – and soon a young man with a small frame enters behind her. A few more patrons come and go, and eventually you lose interest. You’ve been waiting long enough. Where is the contact?

    A young and mildly attractive waitress eventually comes to your small booth in the corner. “Would you care for a drink, sir?”


    Flare

    After the tragic incident that occurred at sea not long ago, little has happened. You have met none of the crew members of your old ship in the city of Porto Giedion, and still have no clues as to if any of them survived. This city seems to borrow some architecture from the cities of Guilder, but the culture here seems a bit different. With so many varieties of people, and such crowded streets, you feel a bit out-of-place. Seeking quiet refuge, one night, you stumble upon a small inn called The Dragon’s Kneecap, and as you enter, you find a fairly tall, strong woman before you, currently speaking with the bartender, who presumably serves as the innkeeper as well.

    Fargrim

    “You truly wish to serve Faharam?” Deimos’ words still ring through your ears. “You must go to this tavern…” You clutch the parchment with the directions he gave you. “…and you will meet a man with one eye. His name is Seimon. He will give you information about a holy artifact of Faharam – a book that he will mistakenly call by the name: The Grand Grimoire. You must then meet back here, and tell me what you have learned. This is an important mission, Fargrim. You must not fail.”

    You arrive at the specified location just before nightfall. It is a small inn with a tavern hall, with a number of drunkards and other patrons. You seek the one you came for, but he is nowhere in sight. But, it could easily be because of the haze caused by several patrons smoking on their pipes a few feet away, at the bar.

    Suddenly, another patron enters. It’s the man you were sent to meet. He does not look to you, but instead takes a seat at a small booth to the side.

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

    Bonus points to whoever identifies where The Dragon's Kneecap and The Whore's Nipple are from
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-07-03 at 01:29 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Great Skenardo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    B5 and B6

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    Harold Betruger
    The handsome young minstrel pauses outside the door of the Dragon's Kneecap, brushing a curled lock of brown hair from his eyes as he observes the sign, his hazel eyes scanning the plate quickly. His bearing is light and graceful, and his clothing impeccably clean.
    Tilting his head to one side, he casts an ear towards the Inn's door. From the sounds of things, he had a few more minutes to spare. Adjusting the strap of his ornate mandolin to cut less deeply into his fine blue tunic, Harold wanders to where the two men argue about the sign, a handsome smile on his youthful face.
    "Ah, gentlemen; I couldn't help but overhear; there's a problem with this sign?"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilRoeSlade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    Flare shakes his head quietly and surveys the tavern. He hadn't meant to come here, he'd have preferred a dock tavern smelling of salt and full of sailors in port. But wandering this city was disorienting, he'd gotten lost twice, and it had come to the point at which it didn't matter where he got a drink, because he needed one badly to clear his head and plan his next move.

    "Rum please," he says as he approaches the bar, hoping they carried it.

    He wears a dark cloak that conceals most of his frame, though he can't weigh very much. His hands are concealed by a pair of fingerless leather gloves, his feet by sturdy boots, and his head by a veiled, wide-brimmed hat. The only bit of flesh that's actually visible are his fingers and his gently smiling mouth, that is until he takes his hat off and places it on the bar, revealing a shock of dark hair... and his eyes.

    One of the barmaids gasps lightly, as she passes him, and a couple drunks who had been casually watching him since he entered blink a few times. Radiant doesn't do enough to describe his eyes. A bright orange that seems out of place on his gentle human face, his two orbs seem to glow with the light of the sun itself. Right now they are focused on Len. His head is at a rather tilted angle, since the youth can't be more than an inch or two over five feet.

    "Hello miss,"
    he says in a tone naturally soothing and quiet. "Are you lost as well?"
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    Ritan brushes off a spot from his jacket sleeve. He had stopped in an alleyway to reverse his coat, nice side outward, when he had assessed the place he would be meeting this person. He's glad he did, the ratty side would make him stand out in this establishment. Remembering the waitress, "Oh, yeah. Can you bring me a whiskey, sweet thing? Thanks," says Ritan, flirting a bit.

    Ritan goes back to his scan of the room, wondering if he should go to the basement or not. It seemed to him like an unnecessary hassle to him, but he might be forced to. It seemed silly to keep such a close eye on the patrons. His contact would recognize him, not the other way around. So he sat, waiting. Waiting for his contact, waiting for his drink, waiting for everything.
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    Fargrim stares straight ahead, tensing in what seemed to be glorious anxiety.

    After a moment of decision, he walks over to the booth and "casually" sits down next to his contact.

    In a low monotone, he remarks, "Pleased to meet you, Seimon."
    Last edited by ByeLindgren; 2007-07-03 at 06:24 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    Silverweave. What a perfect ambiguous elven name for the little pain in the ass he sounds like. All the same, Len flashes a lopsided smile at the barkeep and sits down.

    Quote Originally Posted by EvilRoeSlade View Post
    <snip>

    "Hello miss,"
    he says in a tone naturally soothing and quiet. "Are you lost as well?"
    Hitman! Len immediately thinks with an involuntary twitch in her right hand, a grab at a long-missing dagger. Almost as quickly, she moves her hand out of sight with a brief, sheepish grin; she really has been in Guilder too long.

    "Well, I'm oriented, but let me know if you see my composure anywhere." she replies with a guarded laugh. "How's that for witty? Free beer if you answer right."

    She watches those inscrutiably bothersome eyes warily, in spite of the adage that "You owe everyone a chance". If he turns down an offer like that, then she'll let herself worry, she decides.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Great Skenardo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    B5 and B6

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    Harold
    Placing a string calloused hand on his hip, Harold continues. "Here's my advice; Take a bit of dark green or black paint, and then dab just a little on the sign, right there." he points at the center of the round kneecap of the dragon.
    "A nail would also do the trick, in a pinch. Then, if he asks, you can tell him that he's only got to look at the sign to see that his Inn is now "The Mermaid's Nipple." Much Just as attractive to the dockgoers, you see. Good day!" With a tip of his imaginary hat, Harold pushes on the splintery wooden door and enters the Inn.

    Looking about, Harold winces and places a thin finger in the ear closest to the stage. Can't fault their enthusiasm, I suppose. He proceeds to his third-favorite part of any tavern; the bar. With a smile and a quick bow, Harold introduces himself
    "Good evening, sir! I'm the entertainment you hired after those fellows on stage are done butchering 'The Ballad of Fingus and Strotch;' Harold Betruger, at your service."
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilRoeSlade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    Flare watches Lin's sudden movement curiously, without alarm but with cat-like interest. "Witty indeed," he says. He sits beside her, helping to make up their considerable height difference. "I think you'll need that wit to find your way. But that's neither here nor now. Until then, feel free to borrow some of my composure, until you find your own."

    Then he grins. "And by the way, I have a taste for rum."
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    Flare

    Within moments, you receive a shot of rum. "That's four coppers" the bartender says, and then goes to speak with another man.

    Harold

    The two men outside scratch their heads as they carefully listen to your advice. "Um...kay." says one, as you head inside.

    Barts, currently manning the bar, frowns slightly at your remark about the performance. "Butchering? I...you...think so?" He peeks over to the trio, and looks back to you. "Hmph. Yeah, they're not all that impressive. I guess I won't ask them to come back, anymore - hopefully I can find someone who can fill in a bit better." He sighs. "Well, Mr. Betruger, you're on in a few. Would you like a drink beforehand?"

    Ritan

    The waitress responds a bit negatively to your flirting, mumbling "...pig" as she quickly leaves to fetch your drink.

    Still no sign of the contact.

    One more patron enters, one much different from the rest. His a tall man with blonde hair, and he seems to be concealing a dagger. He is dressed in plain, loose garb, with a small purse on his belt. He nods to the barkeeper before heading to one side of the tavern hall and exiting through another door. While you cannot seem to determine where you've seen this man before, you're certain that you've crossed paths before.

    Fargrim

    As you approach the man, you get a much clearer view of him. Indeed, the description given to you was very accurate - he is middle-aged, with a grizzled beard and a crooked nose. But, something about his physique is...strange. You cannot pinpoint what the source of his oddity is, but he simply does not look to be like most humans.

    Walking to the booth, and repeating in your head how you'd open conversation, you bump into a fellow tavern patron. Or rather, he bumps into you.

    The force of this man nearly sends you to the ground, and him as well, but he clings to your clothing and keeps you both standing. "(Hic!) Shhorry about that, lad." He smells strongly of ale. "I'm a bit drunk, you shhee? (Hic!)" He stands up straight, and finally his blue eyes meet yours, from behind his long white hair. "Come, come! (Hic!) Shhit down, let me buy you shhome drinkshh!" He tugs you away from the booth and to another table at the center of the floor.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-07-04 at 04:08 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    Not looking to make a scene, Fargrim waits for the man to look away and order and attempts to slink away into Seimon's corner booth. Oh, he'll be too drunk to notice where I went. He might not even remember why he had the drinks.

    He gets up and doesn't look back, chain shirt jingling all the way.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Hide: (1d20-2)[17]
    Move Silently: (1d20-2)[3]
    Not including relevant modifiers in context, of course.
    Last edited by ByeLindgren; 2007-07-04 at 04:41 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Great Skenardo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    B5 and B6

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    Harold Betruger
    The handsome young minstrel with the brown curls waves his hands in front of himself. "Oh, don't take the criticism too far to heart, sir; they've got enthusiasm and volume. After they've had one or two, that's what patrons like. Tell you what; I'll make a transition. A good ballad to get the blood pumping, and then later on, quiet things down a bit with some music to touch the soul. Soothing music towards the end keeps the deep-cups quiet, and they leave or fall asleep without a fuss. Now," Harold's gaze wanders across the tavern's common room, but then returns quickly to the innkeeper's gaze with a happy grin.
    "That drink? I'd be very grateful. Wine, if you have it, but Ale is fine too. Where can I set up?"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilRoeSlade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    Flare looks at the shot of rum before him and then at Len. He doesn't say anything, but the curiosity in his gaze makes it obvious that he's wondering if she intends to buy his drink.
    Last edited by EvilRoeSlade; 2007-07-04 at 05:40 PM.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    "Go on, ace, you're covered...even if I did say just 'beer'.." Len invites, slapping some of her dwindling coin reserve on the counter. The man is going straight for the hard liquor without looking back, which makes Len decide to ease up on the mind games and call him harmless.

    "So, my lost friend..." she turns around in her seat and leans back on the counter. "I suppose that ice-cold composure of yours is stopping you from just asking the barkeep for directions already, isn't it?"

    Before he can answer, Len notices the bartender himself meandering back her way and whips back around with a swirl of flying black hair. "Say, bartender? Have you got time for a couple questions?"

    "Yes, miss?"

    "Whereabouts in Puerto Giedon are we?" she askes with an impish glance toward Flare, followed by another one at a handsome, if slightly flamboyant bard waiting in the wings. Bards love to sing about travelling rogues--maybe they know some actual facts to go with that.

    She only half listens to the barkeeper, silently wondering about the clue that would advance her search by leaps and bounds.

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    First, Len has retained some of her saucy, primma-donna side and hopefully it doesn't actually offend any of the players when I rp it, and second, I hope edits aren't faux pas.
    Last edited by Too_many_tamale; 2007-07-05 at 12:01 PM.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilRoeSlade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    "Thanks," says Flare, smiling and downing the shot proficiently. He looks off in the distance, contemplative. "Yes, I am lost. I never meant to come to this place, and now that I'm here I am unable to leave. Fate has forbidden me to continue my wandering for the time being, and she has left nothing for me to do in the mean." He looks warmly back at Len. "So here I sit with you, lost. What is your name? And are you lost as well?"
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    Ritan frowns as the waitress walks away. He was just trying to pay her a small compliment. Some women would never understand. Too bad though.

    The tall blond haired man that Ritan watches walk across the room subtly nods to the bartender. As he exits the room by a door near the stairs, on the wall opposite of the entrance. He looked familiar, and was obviously going to the basement for some 'special services'. Ritan briefly considered following him immediately, but thought better of it. If the man was looking for Ritan, he would have scanned the common room of the inn. If the contact didn't show up in a few minutes, maybe he'd check the basement. Ritan continues his discrete scan of the room.

    Ritan's attention is taken by a drunk man that nearly walks over another man in chainmail. The victim barely seems concerned with the drunk man hauling him up off the floor and dragging him to the bar. Instead he looks towards a table where a man with an eye patch is seated alone. Odd. He slinks off towards the table where the man is seated while the drunk man talks to the bartender. Definitely odd.

    Ritan is interrupted from watching the spectacle by the waitress bringing him his whiskey. She places it on the table and turns to leave without saying anything. Ritan speaks up as she moves to leave. "Miss, just a second. I apologize for earlier. I didn't mean anything by it," pleads Ritan innocently. "No hard feelings?"
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    All

    Suddenly, there is a breaking of(typo) glass heard in another room. Before anyone rises from their seats, the entrance doors swing open, and two armored soldiers bearing the red crest of Porto Giedion's inner-cty police force enter, holding cludgels. Behind them are several more, all looking ready for a fight. "Attention!" Roars one of the men in the front. "This is a raid! This establishment is illegally harboring criminals and involving itself with numerous offenses to Medician law! All of you, come quietly and orderly, or we will be forced to use violence!"

    The barkeep seems infuriated. "Now wait a minute!" He roars, approaching the officer. "You have no right to-" He is cut short by the brutal smack of one of the armed men, and falls to the floor. The one waitress in the room screams, and the drunkards in the room all seem paralyzed. The musicians playing the corner have dropped their instruments and raised their hands up high, not wanting to be harmed. One of the officers march towards them, smashing one of their lutes with his massive boot along his way.

    One of the men looks to Len, thinking she may be tough to take down. "You there! Come quietly now, we don't want to do anything unnecessary!"

    The rest of the men scatter about, pulling people outside, where you're sure there are more men, likely with a wagon of sorts.

    Currently, including the two that entered initially, there are six of these men present.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-07-10 at 07:07 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Great Skenardo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    B5 and B6

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    Harold
    Thinking quickly, Harold examines his own conscience.
    Clean. Mostly.
    Then he runs down the list of enemies he knows of and gagues their ability to get him framed for this kind of thing.
    Not so good. Probably too much trouble.

    Almost delicately, Harold leans over and places his lute on the fallen inkeeper's chest. "I'll be back for this," he says, and then raises his hands in surrender.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilRoeSlade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    Flare doesn't know this city or these guards, and has no idea what will happen to him. But he does know that he already doesn't approve of their methods, and has no intention of seeing what they'll do to him.

    He rises quickly from his stool and gazes sternly at the guard who has addressed Len, standing by her side but not yet reaching for one of his weapons. "Stop it. She isn't here to come at your summons, and neither am I. There's no need for you to do this."
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    Ah, good, made it to the seat without that idiot noticing me. Here goes...

    "Pleased to m--" KSHHHSSS!

    "Attention! This is a raid!"

    The officer's booming voice makes Fargrim go pale for a moment, but he quickly regains composure.

    Calm down, they're not here for you. The worst they'll do is confiscate... the parchment! Horse offal! Just then, Fargrim notices the dark haired man standing up to the officers. Good, a distraction.

    Fargrim stares at Seimon, gestures with his eyes towards the man making a stand, and then makes a gesture towards the door. At the same time, he quickly sticks the piece of parchment in his boot.

    ((Oh, if Harold's got blue, I guess I'll take slate gray.))
    Last edited by ByeLindgren; 2007-07-05 at 06:30 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    The sickening crack of the innkeeper's jawbone makes Ritan shudder. This should not be happening. If this was a legit raid, the he would have been warned. If it was not, then he was set up. First things first, he had to get out of here. Then somebody had better have a good excuse for this.

    Ritan downs the glass of whiskey in front of him. He stands and begins to walk calmly towards the entrance of the inn. There was no way of telling if there was a back door to this place, and a wrong move now would land him in jail. He knew that going to the basement now would make him guilty.

    After a few steps, a man starts to verbally resist the guards. This might be his chance. If it came to blows, others might join and there would be enough resistance to put these scum in their place. These people did nothing to deserve this. Ritan loosens a knife from the inner sleeve of his coat. An outraged mob could overwhelm this handfull of guards. He'd have to wait for the right moment though. Without the support of the mob, his planned resistance would be suicide. He had to show the people that the guards weren't invincible.

    Ritan moves slowly with the crowd towards the door, waiting for the right moment. He tries to circle around the side of the guard captain, putting the guard in between him and the man who has started this resistance.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ritan moves behind the guard captain. Once he's within 10 feet and in flanking position, he throws a knife. The tries to have it come from an anonymous source within the crowd, but knows that hitting is more important than stealth.
    (1d20)[3]
    (1d20)[15]
    Reminder: Vexing Flanker provides +4 to flanking attacks instead of +2, and since he is throwing the dagger, the attack is at a +2 instead of +1 (Str vs Dex).
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    Len winces at Flare's tirade. "You know, ace, all I did was buy you a drink. I'm starting to think this is your way of hitting on me." She whispers through the corner of her mouth and is answered by an orange glance. Even at a time like this, those damn eyes bother her.

    Despite her bravado, the thought of once again ripping people asunder makes her heart pound sickeningly and, after an entire career of watching the justice system snarl up because of loudmouthed idealists, she very nearly leaves hothead beside her alone with the consequences of mouthing off.

    And then she sees the barkeeper, a poor old man gurgling helplessly as he spews blood and teeth on his own floor. Even in Guilder, that isn't justice.

    Someone else agrees; a knife flickers though the air and in a heart-stopping instant, any hope of mediation dies and Len's dilemna becomes moot. She yanks her halberd blade free of its hood as she stomps to her feet and strides into action.

    "And this does not mean we're hooking up!" she barks back at Flare.

    Spoiler
    Show
    *Len draws a halberd and advances through the crowd toward nearest guard.*

    (I'm assuming the crowd counts as rough terrain)
    Last edited by Too_many_tamale; 2007-07-06 at 02:07 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    Bah, that's a bit too much of a distraction. After those three go down, who knows what those guards are going to do?

    Fargrim turns towards Seimon, says "This is probably a good time to suggest a rescheduling," and casts Disguise Self. Suddenly, instead of the stocky pale man, there is a thin swarthy man, discretely drawing his morningstar under the table. 'Cmon, things have gone bad, but they're not going to fail completely. They'll catch some random thin guy for the murder of a town guard, the heat will be off, and I'll be able to meet with Seimon again.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Disguise Self

    DC 15 if interacted with.

    Disguise check (if necessary): (1d20+11)[27]

    Divine Spell Power check (1 turn attempt burned): (1d20+4)[22], so disguise self lasts for 50 minutes.. awesome rolls.
    Last edited by ByeLindgren; 2007-07-06 at 02:14 AM.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilRoeSlade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    Despite his anger and fear, Flare can't help but chuckle at Len's flippant remarks in the face of danger. "Don't worry, all I'm really looking for is a friend. Listen, try to keep them from charging me. I can clear a route to safety with my spells. When the opening comes, go for it."

    He turns to address the guards one final time. "It's not too late to leave! I don't want meaningless bloodshed!"

    But even as he says this he prepares an attack, his hands moving in strange and compelling patterns as he murmurs words whose languages are only spoken in worlds beyond this one.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+2)[18]
    As a full round action I begin to cast sleep which won't take effect until next turn.
    Last edited by EvilRoeSlade; 2007-07-06 at 02:54 AM.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    So he acts like he can take on the guard? This is either good news or a bad bluff.

    Fargrim whispers, "Get out while you can" and begins to contemplate standing up weapon in hand.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Forgot to roll initiative: (1d20)[4]

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1



    I used your colors and letters in your name to determine your place. We have (L)en, (F)lare, (H)arold, Far(G)rim, and R(I)tan. Sorry, some letters are easier than others, and I'm a novice The blank, darker grey blocks are guards, the one with the yellow center is the captain. Red = fireplace, Brown = bar. The diagonal lines are doors, and the rest of that nonsense is chairs, etc.

    Round 0

    As the guards take more patrons outside, Len draws her halberd, catching most by surprise. Patrons shout, guards bark at one another, and a call for backup is heard.

    Amidst the chaos, a knife flies through the air, clanks against the lead officer's armor, and falls to the ground. The officer is panicked, now, and frantically shoots his eyes around the room. He swiftly scrambles back to the rest of the guards.

    As the crowd realizes what's happening, most drop to the ground, or quickly move away from the fighting. The guards ignore those unarmed and unthreatening, and come closer to those planning to fight back. Therefore, Harold is ignored.

    "A magician! There is a mage is among them!" One points out at Flare as he chants his spell. "Take him down!"

    Fargrim manages to get his spell off without anyone noticing - and he sees his contact running to another door as the chaos ensues.

    Now, as for layout. To make this orderly, I'd like you guys to to something to this effect:

    Name
    Round: Number
    Initiative: Result
    HP: Current/Max
    AC: Current

    The actions/flavor text, etc.


    So, actions, please.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-07-10 at 07:01 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Great Skenardo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    B5 and B6

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    Harold
    Round 1
    Initiative: 15
    HP 7/7
    AC 13

    A look of panic crosses the minstrel's face as the knife flies and the spell is cast.
    By the gods, why did I come to this inn?! It's full of madmen and criminals!
    If no one tries to stop him, Harold reaches down and snatches up his mandolin again, and then begins inching along the wall towards the door.

    (Picking up mandolin, moving one square right towards the door. If anyone tries to stop him, he'll stop immediately)
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming it doesn't matter what order we post in, since we already have the initiative number to determine the sequence. If that's wrong and I posted out of turn, then egg on my face.

    Yeah, that's right. Egg.


    Len
    Round 1
    Initiative: 11
    HP: 13/13
    AC: 17

    Len levels her halberd on the nearest guard. "Drop the weapon and surrender! Now!" He roars.

    Wordlessly, Len closes and the armored man lashes out with his club, which happens to be what she wants. She whips the butt of the halberd at his wrist...

    Spoiler
    Show

    Len makes a Disarm attempt, provoking an attack of opportunity.

    Attack roll: d20 + BAB + Str + 4 (Two Handed Weapon Bonus) = [roll]1d20[/roll] + 1 + 3 + 4

    As usual, correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Too_many_tamale; 2007-07-07 at 02:33 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilRoeSlade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    Flare's eyes shine with light and he holds a glowing hand high into the air as he completes his magic. "Heavenly respite, I grant unto thee," he says tranquilly as what seems like a warm, gentle beam of light pours down onto the group of tightly packed guards, making them incredibly drowsy. Managing to appear determined rather than cowardly, he then squeezes behind Len so that she is blocking the guards from reaching him.

    Spoiler
    Show
    If possible I will finish casting sleep and target the corner that is 2 down and six to the right of the top left corner. This should put a total of four guards save the captain and the one in melee with Len under the effects of the spell, and no one else except perhaps that red square with no letter on it if that's a person. The Will save to resist is DC 15.

    Then I am going to move to the top-most left-most square to the right of Len. None of these actions should provoke an attack of opportunity unless the guards are no longer flat-footed by the time my turn arrives.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1

    This is more like it. People with a backbone. Ritan smiles. If this goes down well, people will talk. Word will spread and city officials will think twice before blatantly violating the common people's rights like this. Ritan draws another knife, reaching around the small of his back, his hand returning with steel. He flips it in his hand, catching the blade. With a quick flick of his wrist, the knife sails towards the guard captain. He no longer tries to hide that he is actively resisting. These guards would be sorry they picked this inn, on this night to pull this stunt.

    He looks to his right and sees a man cowering in the corner. Ritan lightly smacks the man on the shoulder with the back of his hand. "Defend yourself! Fight for your freedom! Stand up against these bullies. If you never show them they can't, they will only learn to walk all over you!" Hopefully that would put a backbone into some others in this place. "If you don't stand up for yourself, after they mercilessly slaughter those who do, they will either give you the same fate, or throw you in prison for simply being here." That should scare the rest into action.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ritan Drenathy
    Round: 1
    Initiative: 17
    HP: 6/6
    AC: 15

    Attack: (1d20+2)[7](9)
    That assumes I'm not flanking, which I don't think I am anymore.
    Last edited by Saterus; 2007-07-08 at 01:41 PM.
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Vagabond - Act 1


    S = Sleep, D = Disarmed


    Slade, I don't think you rolled initiative...so I'll simply assume you got a 10, resulting in a 12. If I fail to see initiative results in the future, though, I'm going to assign the player an initiative of 1.

    Round 1

    Ritan's second knife flies towards his same mark, and once again fails to strike true. The captain spots his attacker, and barks an order for his men to take him down.

    Harold is still completely ignored for not involving himself in the combat. Peering out the door, he spots five armed guards outside, all with ready crossbows.

    Len then draws in on one of the guards, who seems unprepared. With a swift and precise motion of her halberd, she knocks away the weapon of her foe, prompting the guard to retreat backwards (5ft).

    Flare ends his chant with quick hand motion, and suddenly two guards drop to the floor. He then retreats behind Len, who finds herself prey of the captain's club. With a mighty swing, he crashes his weapon into Len's skull, dealing 5 damage.

    As Ritan tries to rouse the tavern patrons to fight back, one of the guards rush him, brutally striking his shoulder for 3 damage.

    The last remaining guard goes to his captain's aid, and swings at Len, but he misses.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-07-09 at 02:58 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •