Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 300 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilRoeSlade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Flare steps up to Harold's side and smiles mysteriously, electing to remain silent for the moment.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

  2. - Top - End - #272
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Quote Originally Posted by ByeLindgren View Post
    "Speaking of which, you think the sorcerer is serious about robbing the tax offices? Part of me says he's just messing with us - throwing out the line and seeing if anyone takes the bait."
    "Nah. No way. Well, maybe if...nah."

    Len pokes at her chin in thought.

    "It matches everything else I've heard him say, so if it really is a big game, its been a long time in the making.

    Honestly, though, I think his behavior is too outrageous to be clever lying, and its too consistent to be bad lying. He's just a horse who can't stand the saddle as far as I'm concerned.
    "

    Spoiler
    Show
    I have unexpected company over, so this will have to do for now. I'll post again around midnight PST.
    Last edited by Too_many_tamale; 2007-08-05 at 01:19 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    "Y-Yes...I can show you in..." He hesitantly steps closer to the entrance, fiddling with the door handle. "Sometimes, it gets stuck..." He continues to toy with it, and eventually he opens one of the twin doors. "There we go..."

    You step into the entrance hall, with marble floors beneath you, a grand set of doors opposite you, and stairs to either side. A small admission stand is located by the door, ropes barring paths diverting from it.

    Light shines through windows in the front of the building, as well as the sides - but things are still rather dim.

    The man with you does not go beyond the doorway. "In there..." He points to the theatre doors, with a gulp. "There's something in there." Looking closely, you spot a strange white mist creeping through the crack in the doors.

  4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Great Skenardo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    B5 and B6

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Harold Betruger
    Harold weighs up the situation carefully, and then puts the mist aside to be sorted out later.
    "Sir," he says, his expression and voice the very image of soothing concern.
    "How long has this been happening? Has the mist constantly been in the theatre?"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

  5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    "It's been about a week since the first occurence, sir." He hesitates. "T-The mist...comes and goes. Sometimes there's...other oddities, as well. Disembodied voices, doors opening and closing on their own, orbs of light floating in the air...I would be most careful, sir."

  6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Great Skenardo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    B5 and B6

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Harold Betruger
    Harold bites his lip, thinking.
    "Anyone been hurt or killed by the phantasms? What's your name?"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

  7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    "You can call me Thomas, sir. Umm..." He pauses. "Thinking about it, I don't believe anyone's been hurt. Well, a few guests were trampled on the first night - as the first incident was in the middle of a performance. Things went horribly out of control, and everybody fled the theatre afraid for their lives. That was the only truly bad night." He takes a deep breath. "It started with some flickering lights. Then, strange laughter. Some people thought it was part of the show, but they soon realized otherwise. The actors tried to continue, but...well...in the middle of a piece where an actor was drawing a bated sword, when he pulled it from its sheathe...there was a snake, instead. It bit him, we all saw, but he had no marks. Still, unsurprisingly, he was afraid to death, and tossed it to the ground. Guests reported seeing it transform into some...beast. Some saw a troll, others saw an ogre...personally, I thought it was some kind of wolf-monster...but then, what does it matter? Performances haven't continued since that night - and nobody seems to know the source of the problem. But then, nobody's really been brave enough to stay inside for long. That creature hasn't reappeared, though."
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-08-05 at 03:13 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Great Skenardo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    B5 and B6

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Harold Betruger
    Harold nods. "That may be a promising fact. I imagine by now you've had a mage in to try and detect magic in the place?"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

  9. - Top - End - #279
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    "If not, we could help in that area," Fargrim interjects, entering the room after Harold, Flare and Ritan. "And once we find the troublemaker responsible for doing all this, we can definitely help you." Fargrim grins his usual grin and extends his hand towards Thomas. Hm, a little too off-putting. "I'm Fargrim, servant of our Holy Father. This miscreant has obviously strayed from the path and needs to be set straight."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fargrim Waterwalker of Deepblue's Vagabond
    Charles Hillbell of the Plane of Madness
    Jaska Kuoppala of The Last Light
    Kenneth of Oghma of A Fatal Mistake
    Martin Norland of Lich Ruler
    Robert the Mad in the Valley of Death
    Philotheos hopefully in Struggles of the Gods
    Too many, you say?

  10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Thomas nods. "We did have one man investigate, but he said his study was inconclusive...but that may perhaps be because he fled within moments of entering. Others...have been hesitant to even try."
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-08-05 at 06:35 PM.

  11. - Top - End - #281
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilRoeSlade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Flare steps towards the stage, peering curiously at the mist. "What could be causing this? Do you know the history of this place? Or anyone who would want to decrease it's value?"
    Last edited by EvilRoeSlade; 2007-08-05 at 07:27 PM.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

  12. - Top - End - #282
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Ritan Drenathy

    "Have you or anyone else searched the entire building? The sound of your story makes it sound like the building has stood empty. Someone or something could be hiding here in your theatre unknown," says Ritan. He looks around the room, eyeing all the shadows. The ornately decorated building would be a hard place to search thoroughly. "Are you even the owner?"
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

  13. - Top - End - #283
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Len pads in last.

    She has never had an easy time coming to terms with ideas like the supernatural, that have no fundamental explanation behind their various phenomenae.

    More curious than anything, she circles around the group and gently rests her ear against the towering theatre doors.

    Listen Check
    [roll]1d20[roll]

  14. - Top - End - #284
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    (Damn it.)

    (1d20)[1]

  15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Thomas shakes his head. "No, I'm not the owner. He asked me to come here to wait your arrival. I'm...eh...the admissions manager. Mr. Gortana is busy with important affairs elsewhere." Thomas sighs. "This place has some history...I wasn't around when Mr. Gortana's father ran it - but apparently the theatre was much more successful then. After his death, things started to go a little less than well. But, there were no such odd occurences until recently!" He quietly ponders for a moment. "The Silver Arch has already lost the great standing it used to have - so I don't know much about anyone wanting to compete with us, or take us out of the picture entirely...the only person on poor terms with Mr. Gortana was Maria, our best actress under the theatre's new ownership. She walked out on us a few months ago, frustrated with something - I have no idea what. She certainly didn't want to talk to me, that's for sure." He scratches his neck. "I don't think she's involved. Me, and everyone else who came here felt an evil presence...and nobody's cared to give too thorough a search, because they're afraid of what they'll find. The constable doesn't want to bother sending city watchmen to the task - I assume you picked up the job for them. Am I right?"

  16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Great Skenardo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    B5 and B6

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Harold Betruger
    Harold nods.
    "Sure, that's about the shape of it. Well, in that case, I suppose we'll have a look around. Where will you be, if we need to find you?"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

  17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Thomas seems a bit nervous. "Um...uhhheh...would you mind if I waited just outside?"

  18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Great Skenardo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    B5 and B6

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Harold Betruger
    Harold waves his hand dismissively. "Fine, fine. Just be within screaming distance. Hopefully this shouldn't take more than a few hours."
    There's a look of excitement and anticipation on Harold's handsome face as he steps up to the door with the strange mist. Crouching down, he dips a finger into the clouds.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

  19. - Top - End - #289
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Still pressed against the heavy timbers, Len glances down when Harold joins her scientific door-excursion.

    She rests her hands on the lever. "Well, smooth talker, shall we see what phantoms have to say?"

    She tries the handle.

    Spoiler
    Show
    As in, works the mechanism a little to see whats what. Not to be confused with throwing open the doors
    Last edited by Too_many_tamale; 2007-08-06 at 01:00 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    The clouds swirl around Harold's finger harmlessly. He has no feeling of warmth or cold there...and it is as light as normal air itself.

    Len finds the doors are a little heavier than most, but it's safe to assume that's because of their thickness, no doubt it place to keep the sounds of the theatre from spilling out. They are not too impeding - but most would not be able to whirl one open very easily.

  21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Great Skenardo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    B5 and B6

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Harold Betruger
    Harold stands up
    "Hm. I'm inclined to think this bit is illusion as well. Of course, illusion can also cover what's really there. Anyone got a lantern?"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

  22. - Top - End - #292
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilRoeSlade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Flare pats Thomas' shoulder as he gazes at the door. "Don't worry," he says quietly. "We'll take care of everything. Will there be lanterns inside? Or any kind of light?"
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

  23. - Top - End - #293
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    "I think I can take care of the light problem." Fargrim takes out one of his morningstars and attempts to cast a long-lasting Light on it.

    "What? It's dual-purpose."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Divine Spell Power Turning Check: (1d20+4)[12]
    I burned a turn attempt with no effect. Oh well. The spell lasts ten minutes.
    Last edited by ByeLindgren; 2007-08-06 at 05:46 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fargrim Waterwalker of Deepblue's Vagabond
    Charles Hillbell of the Plane of Madness
    Jaska Kuoppala of The Last Light
    Kenneth of Oghma of A Fatal Mistake
    Martin Norland of Lich Ruler
    Robert the Mad in the Valley of Death
    Philotheos hopefully in Struggles of the Gods
    Too many, you say?

  24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    "Mr. Gortana had a wizard of sorts install magical lights some time ago, so that we wouldn't need worry about lanterns...orbs that generated light upon being commanded to do so. Unfortunately, they've been smashed."
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-08-06 at 08:34 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Great Skenardo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    B5 and B6

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Harold Betruger
    The bard nods happily "That'll do just fine. Len, if you wanna open one side of the doors, I'll try and open the other. On three?"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

  26. - Top - End - #296
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    "My pleasure." Len nods, immediately shoring herself up against the timbers.

    Strength Check
    (1d20+3)[18]

  27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Great Skenardo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    B5 and B6

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Harold Betruger
    "And our other stout friends at the ready?"
    Harold looks to his new partners, and then begins counting.
    "One, Two, Three!"

    In concert with Len, Harold opens the door.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

  28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Spoiler
    Show
    Strength check isn't required. I said the doors don't impede you much, it's just that you suspect most couldn't throw one open effortlessly.


    The doors move to reveal a grand theatre with rose-red carpets and cushioned seats, rows starting only some feet away, and extending into a strange and haunting darkness. What little light shining into the hall cracks through the doorway, giving you clear sight at only about 30 ft inward.

    Thomas creeps back to the entrance door, but does not leave just yet - he stands awkwardly in the doorway, peering back at Harold and Len, curiously. With the door open, more light makes way into the hall, but none helps to enlighten the theatre itself.

    As the two stare into the abyss, they see or hear nothing beyond.

    The strange mist has curiously disappeared.

  29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Great Skenardo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    B5 and B6

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Harold Betruger
    Uh-huh.
    With a contemplative look inside the theatre, Harold signals Len to close her door as he does the same. The minstrel then watches the seal below the passage for a full minute in silence.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

  30. - Top - End - #300
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Deepblue706 View Post
    Strength check isn't required. I said the doors don't impede you much, it's just that you suspect most couldn't throw one open effortlessly.
    I have this thing about doors and throwing them open.


    Len pauses before complying. Something bothers her about closing off an exit like this.

    "Hang on." she mutters, drawing her broadsword with a steely hiss. She raises it high, glaring down at the door handle as Thomas eyes her warily.

    Then, Len pulls out her nasty old shirt from this morning, pulls it taut, and--Shhhhrip!

    She sets to work, jamming the door latch with strips of pukey old shirt.

    Disable Device: Door Lock
    (1d20+3)[21]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •