New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

Harold Betruger
    Harold rolls his eyes at Flare's comment. "If you say so, friend. I'll keep an eye out for a cause that's worth me getting beat up over nothing. At the moment, the best cause I've got is getting enough money fast. Shall we go?"
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2007-08-19 at 07:45 PM.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

2. - Top - End - #392
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, I couldn't edit because of the roll and clarify: Len started healing Flare, while asking Fargy if he was okay as well.

Also, did anyone take that shortbow? Range weapons seems pretty attractive right now.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Sure. You can go first Len, and Fargrim can cover our rear, if that's alright."
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Tamale: Not sure if you know how it works, but, Heal checks don't really boost HP, it's more to stop bleeding, etc. From Len's assessment of their wounds, she can assume they'll manage.

Also, I totally had like, maps, but photobucket isn't working...Edit: They're up.

F1
    Spoiler
    Show

B1
    Spoiler
    Show

Ritan descends into the dark pit, giving a look around at what lies beneath the stage. While he can stand with no trouble, the stage lays only about a foot overhead - no doubt, large weaponry would be difficult to use in here.

The sunrod lies atop a small staircase, which seems to lead up onto the stage - at its base appears to be some caltrops and a few knives fixed onto a board, which leans against a small support. Falling through that hole could easily prove fatal.

In the northwest corner, Ritan spots quite a few crates (brown). It would appear that while the area would serve as a storage for props and the like, installments like the trap door (and the steps leading upward) allow for it to supplement dramatic effect.

Ritan then spots, at the opposite end, a sack with spilled contents, which appears to be composed of mostly food items (olive green, the oval). Beside it is a very small cot (also olive green, the rectangle), which seems to lay in front of another doorway, which is open. The light does not travel far enough for him to see through it.

Before anyone can follow Ritan, you all hear the voice once again, on the opposite side of the curtain - Ritan hearing it echo through the open passage. "AHEM!" He calls out. "Do you oafs even know what you're doing? You've been following nothing but my shadow this entire time! Kyahahaha!"
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-08-22 at 12:24 AM.

5. - Top - End - #395

With a nod, Len goes first. And that's all right.

6. - Top - End - #396

Flare moves after Len and retrieves his sunrod when they get to it.

"What does he mean his shadow? Is he making illusions of himself?"

7. - Top - End - #397
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

"Well, he's making illusions of something. Besides that, we seem to be a couple of steps behind him wherever we go. Still, he's fighting an uphill battle. He'll slip up eventually, and we'll be there to pick up the pieces. What do you see, Ritan?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fargrim Waterwalker of Deepblue's Vagabond
    Charles Hillbell of the Plane of Madness
    Jaska Kuoppala of The Last Light
    Kenneth of Oghma of A Fatal Mistake
    Martin Norland of Lich Ruler
    Robert the Mad in the Valley of Death
    Philotheos hopefully in Struggles of the Gods
    Too many, you say?

8. - Top - End - #398

Len descends the staircase, marshalling beside Ritan. Her hazy, exhausted runs in circles trying to resolve the formidable home-field advantage they're up against.

From Len's natural persepctive, the strategic one, the traps and ambushes are a result of them acting blindly and reactively; the only way to mitigate that is to deny their outnumbered opponent his advantages in stealth and mobility.

Thought by muddled thought, she assembles a patchwork plan.

Wounding him any more than a little would do both; finding out his position would be the first step to that. And the best way to stop this game of hide-and-go-****-yourself and bring him into shooting range would be to threaten his goals, whatever they are. Looks like a little dialogue does need to take place after all.

Len looks over her shoulder to Flare. "You know, this reminds me more of a chessboard than anything.

If we keep blindly attacking and don't figure out our opponent soon, we're going to start losing rooks and queens. Don't hold this against me--.
    "

She scurries through the basement to the trapdoor, the knife-festooned maw glinting in Fargrim's luminescence. She plants a foot on the steps and cautiously pokes her head out at Harold.

"Harold, now you humor me; he may be bat****, but I don't think he went to all this trouble for no reason. We need to get him talking and find out why he's here.

Fargrim; that thing that let you sense magical auras? How many times can you do that?

Spoiler
    Show
    Just spare me your objections for a little bit and humor me, I have an idea. The alternative is to let this game fizzle or keep arguing until DB kills us one by one
    Last edited by Too_many_tamale; 2007-08-22 at 10:27 PM.

9. - Top - End - #399

Flare follows after Len. "I can do it many times," he murmurs to her. He then scans the bed of knives and picks the most functional-looking one, which he carefully plucks up and hands to Harold. "Humor me as well."

10. - Top - End - #400
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Ritan Drenathy

A quick scan of the understage area shows no evidence of the mystery man being there currently. Ritan isn't so quick to trust this madman's boast, so he walks carefully over to the cot and bag. Doing a quick search through, Ritan moves onto the crates. He searches for anything unusual in a theatre.

As Len runs by talking to him, he raises a finger to his mouth, trying to get her to shut up. He knows where we are because we reveal our positions so readily.
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger.
    Harold accepts the knife resignedly.
    "Yes, ma'am." he answers.
    "So much humour around here, I shouldn't wonder if we die laughing."
    Harold stands still for a moment, apparently marshaling such wit and acerbity as he can.
    "Friend!" he calls, "Friend I call you, for your attempts to tickle our ribs with knives and jibes seem more in jest than in earnest! If your wit held one half-measure the sharpness of these glittering retorts you leave for us to stumble upon, we should be pierced! But no," Harold shakes his head, dramatically, "There's no intelligence here! Just the childish meanderings of a crayon across the stage."

12. - Top - End - #402

Quote Originally Posted by EvilRoeSlade View Post
    "I can do it many times"
    Len grins. "Good. Get sensing, and let's see if this little man's a sorcerer or just really crafty. If nothing else, we might understand him a little better."

She grabs the shushing Ritan by the shoulder as she heads toward the basement exit. "Hey, stealth is a lost cause on me. I'm just going to hog the attention so it isn't on you. Make the most of the blind eye."

With a jaunty smrik back at her teamamtes, Len steps through the hatch and out from under the stage, marching into full view with the sword conspicuously in hand.

"Friend I call you, for your attempts to tickle our ribs with knives and jibes seem more in jest than in earnest! If your wit held one half-measure the sharpness of these glittering retorts you leave for us to stumble upon, we should be pierced! But no," Harold shakes his head, dramatically, "There's no intelligence here! Just the childish meanderings of a crayon across the stage."

"No, Harold, this pitiful reject is no friend and has no friends. Otherwise, there would be at least someone in the audience watching his disaster of a production." Len quips resoundingly with a flick of the blade.

Spoiler
    Show
    Good cop, bad cop...

WARNING: Mean-ness to follow; not directed at the GM in any way

"I hear that sick desperation in your laugh; you're even less funny than a pile of hay, malkative tadman, and you know it! The Silver Arch is a perfect place for you to end up, rambling in the dark with the relics of your failure!

A waste of life like you must make Faraham sigh.
    "

Len wanders aimlessly, inwardly wincing with every footstep and creak and hardly squeezing the air through her tightened lungs. Sociopaths are ruled by their egos, and Len intends to hit this individual in every possible place until she strikes the dark, tempestuous chord he sings to. The reaction should speak volumes.

She readies another barrage of malignant verbal acid...
    Last edited by Too_many_tamale; 2007-08-24 at 12:26 AM.

13. - Top - End - #403

Flare raises his hand, which shimmers with light before his eyes begin to glow orange. "Heavenly morrow, reveal magical sorrow." He takes Len's hand and moves, slowly.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll concentrate on detect magic every round, and make sure not to step anywhere Len doesn't.
    Last edited by EvilRoeSlade; 2007-08-24 at 12:56 AM.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

Ritan searches underneath the stage, first checking the contents of the spilled sack: he finds a month's worth of food rations, a harmonica, and a flask. The cot beside the bag is a bit dirty, and has presumably been used recently.

The crates hold countless props for different performances. Ritan finds numerous costumes and wigs in all but one crate, which holds quite a few fake weapons, mostly comprised of permanently bated dueling-swords.

Immediately after Flare casts his spell, he senses a very dim magical aura lingering from where the suit of armor stood, but nothing else.

"Wait, did someone say CRAYONS?! Crayons are DELICIOUS! KEE HEE HEE HEEE!" The voice is still coming from the other side of the curtain, back in the seating area.

15. - Top - End - #405

Spoiler
    Show
    Would Harold be above lending the crossbow to a certain rouge who will be lurking around (hopefully) unnoticed?

Also, DB, Len and Flare went out through the front hatch of the basement. Does that lead to the seating area?

Out of ways to chafe at his supposed artistic pride, Len pokes her chin in thought. She has a few other soft spots to verbally abuse, not to mention whatever Harold can come up with, but maybe she should start off more simply.

"You shouldn't laugh." She brays. "Don't you know we're here to take your theatre away from you? We'll never play comdeies again, only lots and lots of tragedies.

Traaaagedieeees. How do you like that?
    "

Perform: Provoke
    (1d20)[12]

16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold taps his chin, thoughtfully.
    "Actually, I was thinking quiet poetry readings. I also understand the merchant's guild is looking for a place to hold their quarterly financial reviews. Just people reading long lists of numbers."
    Bluff - (1d20+8)[10]

17. - Top - End - #407

Flare joins in. "Can I teach children how to play the lute here? Of course, I'd have to teach myself first. All recitals would be open to the public, naturally."

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff - (1d20+8)[22]

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Too_many_tamale View Post
    Also, DB, Len and Flare went out through the front hatch of the basement. Does that lead to the seating area?

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry Tamale, I suppose I was indeed a bit tired when I made my post. It does.

As Len and Flare walk through the small passage, having to duck to get through. Once on the other end, they find a small door, which pushes open into the seating area. Len calls out to the madman, in an effort to play on his emotions, prompting quick following up from Harold and Flare. While the first two comments bring no reply, Flare quickly strokes the wrath of your foe.

"CHILDREN?!" A figure comes into view, standing close to the auditorium entrance. However, the light is dim and not many details can be told about him - other than that he stands at half the height of a normal man, and his frame is somewhat thin. "Children have no place in such a noble, sophisticated, and majestic place as The Silver Arch! This isn't a nursery! We don't finger-paint here! THIS IS A HOUSE OF ACTING! OF THEATRE! And I, Benjimiah Coppertone, will make sure you do not ruin the tradition!" Suddenly, he makes a motion with his left-hand, and calls out "Go, Zardulox!"

A whirling is heard through the air, and Len instinctively stumbles to her side, narrowly dodging some sort of blade, which gives an odd, metallic scream as it passes by. It plants itself into the stage face behind her, with a KTHUNK - it wabbles a bit in the wood before settling. Now that it is still, the weapon is seen clearly for what it is - a strange metal star of blades, thin as a dagger and about the size of an open hand.

"Hmph!" The figure appears to draw a one-handed sword.

Stage F1
    Spoiler
    Show

Stage B1
    Spoiler
    Show

Seating
    Spoiler
    Show

You'll notice the bad-guy icon looks somewhat like a leprechaun. No, maybe not. It's really small. But anyway, it's because Warwick Davis is an excellent villain and well-fits the idea I'm going for. Pitty when shrunk the image gets crappy...

I need new Initiative Rolls, please!
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-08-25 at 12:30 AM.

19. - Top - End - #409

Deciding not to expend a spell until he can verify that he's not attack an illusion, Flare raises his crossbow and shoots.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+2)[9]
    Attack - (1d20+2)[8]
    Damage - (1d8)[3]

20. - Top - End - #410
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm back. Initiative: (1d20)[10] What can Fargrim see from his position?

"He better run..."
    Last edited by ByeLindgren; 2007-08-25 at 02:26 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too many, you say?

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    With the curtain still blocking your view, you can't see him at all. But, you definitely heard him, as well as the "kthunk"

22. - Top - End - #412

Spoiler
    Show
    That's more like it.

...say, if it was an illusion, wouldn't Flare's Detect magic have caught it?

Len grips the sword handle, still down on one knee from the reflexive dive. Her head spins from the lingering nausea of last night, but with a deep breath...

"Seating section, center aisle of the sixth row! Let's toss some steel, folks!"

Initiative
    (1d20+3)[4]

Len hits the starting blocks and charges, hunkering around the pommel of the trailing broadsword.

Spoiler
    Show

I doubt she can attack after a cross country race like that, but just in case:

Attack
    (1d20+4)[5]

Damage
    (1d8+3)[10]

23. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold regards the knife in his hand with ill-concealed distaste and rests it in his belt. Instead, he reaches for his mandolin and begins reciting a song about a gnomish prank that went astray, leading to a number of large burly men beating the sh*t out of the offending prankster.
    Init - (1d20+1)[8]
    (Inspire Courage. +1 to attacks and saves)

24. - Top - End - #414
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Ritan Drenathy

"CHILDREN?!" A figure comes into view...
    Finally, the madman shows himself. Ritan drops the lid of the last crate and carefully makes his way up to the topside of the stage. Walking quickly to the end of the stage, he goes around the side of the curtain and jumps down onto the floor with the seats. He makes his way up the side aisle towards the man.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to assume I'm not going to make it anywhere close to him this turn, so I'm not going to attack. If somehow, he does manage to get close to me while I do this, it can be assumed that I'll attack. For now, I'll just roll initiative.

(1d20+2)[14]
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show
    Might be sooner than you think. Possible will save DC 15 for our wonderful villain.

Fargrim moves past the curtain until he can finally see his foe. He's been itching to crush this fool's defective skull for a while. If he sees Mr. Coppertone, he finally casts that wonderful Command, Approach.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too many, you say?

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about that delay, ya'll. I meant to post yesterday, as my plan was to take a day recovering after some partying the night before, but I had some unexpected guests eat away some of my free time. I also had to go to bed early, as I had classes this morning.

BATTLE START

Ritan quickly bolts out into the seating area, maneuvering through the side of the auditorium. The small figure holds its weapon ready, scanning him and the rest of his threats, and awaits to be met in melee combat. It is then that Fargrim unleashes his magical command, but his target remains unaffected. "Yikes! We've got a fiesty one here, kiddies!" Flare manages to get a shot of his crossbow off, but the shadow's deceptive movements make targetting difficult, and the bolt ends up missing completely.

Meanwhile, Harold strikes up an invigorating tune, urging you all to vanquish this foe quicker. Len then rushes forward to swing at your foe, but the attack is wide and easily anticipated. Now, with her closer view, she realizes that this pest is not actually a gnome, but rather a wild-eyed halfling, grinning fiendishly at her. After dodging her attack, he jabs at her with his sword at a blinding speed, landing hard into her gut. "Madam, the touch is mine!" he says, as Len realizes she's been struck with a bated sword (and she's been dealt 1 nonlethal damage). He then quickly turns toward the doors to retreat, giving Len another opportunity to strike.

Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-08-27 at 02:27 PM.

27. - Top - End - #417

Flare lowers his crossbow and boldly strides over to the halfling. "Lost and weary soul... your hour of judgement has come!" Without moving a finger or chanting a spell, his hair suddenly blows back with a brush of wind, and turns a bright white along with his eyes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Celestial Sorcerer Aura. DC 15 Will save or take a -2 penalty on attack rolls, checks, and saves for 24 hours or until it successfully hits me. Also I will move to the square 1 right of Fargrim.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ERS, what's the range on that thing? And do you need sight? He's technically in a move action for the door. So, you may or may not be able to affect him.

29. - Top - End - #419

Spoiler
    Show
    Range is 20 ft, and opponent must be able to see me. I won't use it if it will go to waste.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

"You should have listened to me!" Fargrim chases after the little devil. If he can't reach him with a charge or a move+attack, he moves to block any escape route.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charge is preferrable, but I'll assume that if Fargrim gets to attack, it will be a move+attack with his shining beacon of halfling-pounding. If it's actually possible to charge, add 2 to the attack roll.

Attack: (1d20+3)[15]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[6]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too many, you say?