New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

Claudius gives Len a nod. "Perhaps, perhaps not. Howabout you do this for me, and I'll have all the information you need waiting for when you get back."

He then glances between Harold and Flare. "He's with a few others - mercenaries, by the looks of them. Let's get you acquainted..."

Claudius brings Flare, Harold, Len and Fargrim through the grand manse, leading them into the dining hall where Titus and his comrades await. "Mr. Theobald, I'd like you to meet some friends of mine." the elven nobleman says with a grin. "They are much more ready and able to join you than I - I hope you do not mind if they go with you, in my stead. They are highly competent, each one moreso than I, I assure you." Titus makes no objections, and is even quite pleased. "I understand entirely, my good sir. I accept any help you would offer me." He then turns to Claudius' band, eyeing each member of the group before asking, "May I have your names, please?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for my delayed response - I had made a post the other day, but the site's screwyness just kind of rejected it (I got a page cannot be displayed message, and lost the whole thing). Oldies - if you'd like to give another detailed description of your characters here, I'm sure the new folk will appreciate it. Also, all you should feel free to have any kinds of discussion - if you don't feel like it now, that's okay; I can just guide things straight into the "mission" once we're all set.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Bugbear in the Playground

The druid looks up as the newcomers arrive. He silently looks them over, his gaze openly appraising.

Drahlo is somewhat tall for an orc, and heavy due to his well-developed muscles. He has straight black hair that falls to his back. It looks fairly healthy, and he has braids in it at seemingly random locations, as well as beads and feathers woven into the strands. He has a small, scraggly beard that doesn't seem to have quite filled in yet; bits of his square jaw clearly visible through it due to his light-green skin. He has the usual, beast-like face of an orc, with a flattened nose and prominent brows. He has many facial piercings; one in both earlobes--from which charms made from purple stones hang--two in his left helix (the upper rim of the ear) and three in his right, and two piercings in his right eyebrow and one in his left. From these hang small, simple rings possibly made of bone. Finally, he has a labret piercing (below bottom lip, above the chin) from which hangs three rings made of iron, shaped so that they appear to loop around and go through the bottom of his jaw. ((If this last one is difficult to envision, think of David Draiman, the lead singer of Disturbed; he is well known for wearing these kinds of rings))

His body is very well muscled, even among the usually muscular orcs. He has hunched shoulders and hairy arms and legs, but his chest and back are bare--either naturally so or shaven; it is difficult to tell. Around his torso are many purple tattoos; the same hue as the charms in his ear-lobe earrings. In shape, they look vaguely like the patterns you might see on a snake such as this.

Other than his rings and hair adornments, the only clothing he wears are a pair of simple leather trousers and plain sandals. He carries a simple spear with an obsidian head in a simple sling at his waist, and a satchel he hanging over his right shoulder so that the bag is at his left hip.

Guha, a small, brown mouse, continues lapping up the tea, heedless of the newcomers.
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2008-03-02 at 06:03 PM.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Lucian Salvatore

Lucian bows to the newcomers.

Hail and well met, friends. We were hoping for good company for our journey, and it looks as though we've been blessed. I trust you know a bit about the undertaking as it stands? We're to root out an unsavory character, save a town, and earn a hefty sum for our trouble. Better duty never drawn, eh, gents?

4. - Top - End - #784
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold Betruger is something of a striking sight, but not, it must be confessed, in the light of such an exotic gathering. Of average height, Harold's boyishly-handsome face registers surprise at first, seeing not only an orc, but an underdressed orc in noble company. Quickly turning his attention to the others, lest he stare, Harold runs a hand through his longish, blonde hair and smiles at Mr. Theobold with a thoroughly-charming smile.
    "Our valiant leader on this expedition! Well met, well met." Harold extends his hand, his grip firm and practiced, and the callouses on his fingertips quite marked.
    "My name is Harold Betruger; my card."
    Smoothly, Harold pulls a square of stiff paper from the breast pocket of his vest and presses into Theobold's hand.
    Stepping back a little, Harold shifts the shoulderstrap holding a finely-carved mandolin to his back and strokes the beginnings of a short, trimmed beard and mustache taking root on his handsome face.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

5. - Top - End - #785

Flare

It's hard to make out any outstanding detail's of Flare's face, or his body at all for that matter, being wrapped completely in well-used traveler's garb as it is. His hair-color and face are both obscured by a dark-veiled surmac, while his fingerless leather gloves reveal only tanned fingertips.

That's right, we've been informed of the details. Flare's voice has a tranquil quality that could almost be described as transcendent. I'm Flare Heliosi, and this is Len and Fargrim, my companions. He takes Lucian's hand and gives it a firm shake, and offers to do so with each of the others. We've been told of you Mr. Theobald, but who are your companions? His gaze drifts to each in turn, awaiting an introduction.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

6. - Top - End - #786

Shimar

The massive barbarian steps in front, taking the job to introduce his comrades. His speech, altough harsh as the typical northerner humans', is more courteous, and shows signs of at least some education.

Well met, Flare Heliosi, Harold Betruger, Len, and Fargrim. Let me introduce Drahlo, valiant servant of nature, Lucian Nikostratos Cerullian Salvatore the younger, and myself, Shimar Tura, son of Advar.

Interestingly, Shimar knows the whole name of Lucian, and he takes delight in saying the whole, almost as if envying him for having so many names.

He accepts the handshake of Flare and the others as well. The wolf-like dog remains at his feet, altough smells every one whom Shimar shakes hands.
    Troubles in Athkatla, an FR game about schemings around an ancient curse
    The messengers, a game about finding allies in times of need

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

7. - Top - End - #787
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Lucian Salvatore

Lucian bows deeply, and with a certain courtly flair.

At your service, gentlemen.

He shoots a sideways grin of appreciation for Shimar's introduction.

8. - Top - End - #788

The orc nods ands says, "I am Drahlo." He nods to the mouse and adds, "She is Guha."

9. - Top - End - #789
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold nods carefully.
    Hrm. Why do I get the distinct impression they'll be less of a pushover then he will?
    Aloud, he says
    "So, we're to work together on this, eh? Our mutual friend talked briefly of what you have in mind, but suppose you elaborate a bit on the mission?"

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ogre in the Playground

Fargrim does little to get himself acquainted with the others - he merely stays silent, standing aside, ears open for what Titus would say to appease Harold. Len, whose smiling shows a slight brighter disposition than Fargrim's, also remains quiet, but by no means in any awkward sort of way.

"Yes, of course." the Paladin finally replies, his gleeful expression slowly turns serious as he thinks upon his words.

"Not too long ago, I heard a tale of a trio of merchants who passed through - or should I say, nearby - the small town of Rogar's Bend. They had wished to take the ferry the nearby river had to offer - the river, for which the town is actually named - to take them a bit north, to another village called Nomar. When they had Rogar's Bend in sights, they saw strange, shambling men that had an ill-look about them. Their movements were stiff, and rigid. Their skin was pale, their eyes as black as coal. The wiser two said "let's ignore them, and be on our way", but the curious member of the group wanted to know what was wrong."

He leans forward, gesticulating a bit with his hands as he continues.

"He approached the weird men, and arrived close enough to see their flesh was rotting off the bone. Their tattered clothes were stained with blood, and they held farming tools as weapons. The gruesome figures were not mortal men, but those long dead, cursed to walk the world of the living. The merchants fled in terror, and eventually, they shared their story with the barman of a roadside inn that I happened to stop in, one evening. I knew this was the work of a dreadful wizard, for no magics of Faharam would ever desecrate life, in any shape or form."

He then leans back a bit, surveying the faces of those around the table.

"It was then that I investigated the happenings myself - and sure enough, the tale rang true. Only, my visit was only more gruesome than their's."

His face grows contorted with a frown he makes at his own words - obviously even just reciting what happened plays on the emotions on this man.

"I saw a poor man fleeing the town, and he was beset by the creatures. While he was swift, their numbers were too many. They surrounded him, and then they butchered him with their scythes. A horrible sight - even moreso because I could not dare approach so vast an enemy. My fate, alone, would sure no better than that man's. But - they are slow, and inept. With a reliable band of allies, they can be dispatched."

His voice grows stronger. "I intend to return to Rogar's Bend, put to rest those tortured souls, and bring the man responsible to justice." He sits silently for a moment. "Not one of the undead can remain. Nor can their creator. We will head for the wizard's keep first - and stop his magic from harming any others. If this does not return the dead to their graves, then we will need to put them back, ourselves."

11. - Top - End - #791
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Lucian Salvatore

The normally irrepressible young man replies coolly, soberly:

This is a grisly business, then. Some of us may not survive, but such is to be expected for those who place themselves in Fortune's hands. I'd imagine that this chilling story is but a hint of what horrors we will face together. I know little enough of my traveling companions here, and almost none at all of our second party, but I feel I'm willing to bet my life on the fact that we are the men for this job.

And there is no question that this job must be done right.

Are we agreed, then, gentlemen, that we will not allow this abomination against Faharam to stand?

12. - Top - End - #792

Drahlo nods and says, "This cannot stand. I shall return the one responsible to the earth." The mouse on the table squeaks as he finishes, and he extends a hand to it. It leaps onto it and scurries up his arm, coming to rest on his right shoulder.

13. - Top - End - #793

Shimar

That's what we are here for. - the barbarian warrior shrugs - A pity we don't have one of the shamans of our tribe, they can command undead spirits back to the grave they crawled out from.

He remains confident, altough the mentioning of undead creaures makes his flesh creep.
    Last edited by amanodel; 2008-03-06 at 04:41 AM. Reason: typo correcting

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold taps his fingers on his arm.
    "I...see."
    A momentary pause.
    "Any idea, then, who the man responsible is?"

15. - Top - End - #795
    Ogre in the Playground

Titus nods to Harold slowly. "Indeed. He is none other than the Magistrate of the very town! Thaddeus, he is called - and his face is one I've seen before, so do not think my eyes mistook him when I saw he stood afar, commanding the creatures through his dark wizardry. Like many of Medici's Magistrates, this man was tutored the ways of arcane magic - and he has done nothing but abuse that power since he learned his first cantrip, of that I'm sure." He pauses. "Magistrate or no, he is both a heretic and man guilty of harming his fellow citizens. Every moment he continues to go unpunished is another of injustice."

16. - Top - End - #796
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Lucian Salvatore

Lucian's eyes are bright.

If we're all agreed, let us begin this adventure. I'd not let this "Thaddeus" spend one more day sneering at Faharam.

17. - Top - End - #797

Drahlo nods and says, "Then let us go." He looks to his mouse and makes a soft clicking noise with his tongue. Quickly understanding the command, she runs around the orc's neck, down his arm, and into the satchel that hangs at his hip. She pokes her head out after a moment of adjusting, watching the others curiously.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold taps his teeth, thoughtfully.
    "Ye-es. All right, but where do you propose we start?"

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ogre in the Playground

Titus looks confused. "At the town. We go there, make our way to the Magistrates home, get inside, throw some manacles on him, and bring him to Valois. His undead servants may be a threat to the common man, but we are skilled and armed. If we simply make our way straight for the target, we can probably move right passed them - or through with minimal effort."

20. - Top - End - #800
    Dwarf in the Playground

Len groans inwardly, wishing the paladin had spent more time with a map and less time with the thesaurus. (Shee-yit.)

Spoiler
    Show
    Damn, guys. Muscling in on my green text, nrrrRr.
    Last edited by Ya Ta Hey!; 2008-03-07 at 01:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar0k
    Probability has betrayed me, I thought we had a thing.

President, Founder, and Chairman of the Ya-Ta-Hey! Self-Promotion Club

21. - Top - End - #801
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold nods, carefully.
    "Very...direct. But consider this: unless he's lording it up on a throne of skulls, our friend the necromancer is presumably crafty enough to cover his own tracks. That said, if you invade the home of a magistrate and physically assault him...you want the proof you've got to be very concrete indeed."
    He lifts a finger, smiling.
    "So, what I'm suggesting is something a little more...subtle. We bag the magistrate, of course, after it can be proven beyond his slimy art to wriggle his way out of it. We can destroy his servants, if you please, and then trace them back to him concretely."

22. - Top - End - #802
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Lucian Salvatore

Lucian raises an eyebrow.

Well, if you wish to fight an army of corpses, be my guest, but I say we scout it out first and then make our plan based on the lay of the land and the concentration of his minions. An intrepid team like us may be able to arrest this rascal without sullying our hands.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Ogre in the Playground

Titus gives Harold an awkward smile in return. "The townsfolk we liberate will surely vouch his misdeeds, themselves. But, if you think it wise we do not make our move until the courts can be completely convinced of his crimes, then I suppose that is fair enough."

He then turns to Lucian to address his concerns. "Not quite an army - but enough to scare the common man, I'm sure. If you feel you are able to scout the area without being detected, then it may certainly help us."

He stands. "Right, well, I think we've discussed enough for now. It's late. We can decide on how we do things once we arrive. I'll be staying at the White Horse Inn - if any of you need rooms, I can provide for your stay as well." he glances to the three that came with him. "Otherwise..." He then glances from Harold, to Len, to Flare. "Shall we meet at the west gate at, say, eight in the morning?"

24. - Top - End - #804
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Yes, we'll definitely be busy until--!" Len blurts a little too eagerly before catching herself. A paladin is not the kind of person who should know about their situation.

" I mean, tommorow would be acceptable, because we have, y'know, business to...conclude. Heh." she half cowers at the disgusted groans from her three counterparts.

Damn it.

Señor GM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I guess all my previous Len-stuff still applies. I hope she can accomplish at least some of it.

Oh, another weapon question: how do you feel about flintlock firearms? Also, It turns out that there is already a DnD Macuahuitl, and it was exactly like you described. I'm impressed
    Last edited by Ya Ta Hey!; 2008-03-07 at 06:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar0k
    Probability has betrayed me, I thought we had a thing.

President, Founder, and Chairman of the Ya-Ta-Hey! Self-Promotion Club

25. - Top - End - #805

Flare

Flare nods. Harold is just concerned about ending up in a situation where we look like we've acted outside the bounds of the law. Of course, in the end we won't know the correct course of action until we've been able to see the situation for ourselves.

He gives Titus a clap on the shoulder and starts to leave. Make it nine. I've got a lot of things I need to do.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd like to buy a sickle. Also, I want to find a spell-caster that can cast identify for me, or maybe a sage that can use his knowledge to identify magical items.
    Last edited by EvilRoeSlade; 2008-03-07 at 07:08 PM.

26. - Top - End - #806

Drahlo nods and says, "I will be there. And I would take you offer of housing... Normally nature is all that I need, but it seems it is not here. This land is so different from what I know..."

27. - Top - End - #807
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Lucian Salvatore

The White Horse sounds satisfactory. I'll join you, Titus, thanks; I'll even buy you a pint for your trouble.

Or any of you gents, as well, if you wish.

Lucian's sober demeanor has evaporated, and he is once again the bright, eager young man he presented upon first entering the mansion.

28. - Top - End - #808

Shimar

To the White Horse, then! Whisper, come on! - The wolf-like dog follows the human when called, and they go after Lucian out of the mansion of the elf lord after every detail is arranged. But for Shimar, the detailed plan making is not too exciting, he is more intrigued with the idea of visiting a tavern.

In our tribe, the 'Son of the White Horse' is a hero of legends, who wrestled dragons, tricked devils, and rode griffes. If the owner is from our lands, then the first round of drinks is mine to purchase!

If you do not wish to join us in the tavern, then see you in the morning!
    - the last sentence was aimed towards Flare and his old party before heading to the White Horse.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

Shimar, Lucian, Drahlo

Titus and those who follow him leave the estate and head directly for the inn specified. The walk through the evening streets is, at first, cool and refreshing, but before you are to arrive at your destination, you soon mind your coats and other pieces of warm clothing (unless you're supposed to be tough guys, or something!) - the days may still be warm, but the night breeze from the eastern sea is still chilling enough to remind you how pleasant it can be sitting in front a warm and cozy fire.

Walking the streets at this hour might have only been for vagrants, not long ago - but with the growth of magic in Medici, there are now enchanted stones that hover from above, illuminating (if only dimly) the way for anyone who would move about at night. As you make your way through this sector of the city, you occassionally pass guardsmen on patrol, who do not halt the group, but instead shoot at it strange looks, often accompanied by hushed words amongst themselves. Crime was seldom a problem in this part of Porto Giedion - as not only do criminals naturally seem to gravitate to slummier locales throughout all of Medici, but the demand for increased patrols have rendered the grand and regal homes of Porto Giedion's nobles nigh untouchable, as they lay down for the night.

Before long, you arrive before the White Horse Inn, which you soon find is filled with much of the same-styled luxury of Claudius' home. It's certainly a classy joint, and while the Paladin gets no attention from an upper-class crowd formed in the lobby, Shimar and Drahlo are sure they are the reason behind quite a few vacant stares and shocked, gaping mouths. However, these onlookers dare not speak to the party, and step aside as you make your way to get your rooms for the evening.

Titus drops a bag of coin onto the desk at the front, and a round little man with a thin trace of a beard standing behind it, hands you each a key. Titus points to a door that he explains leads to a small bar, and then notes your rooms are upstairs before turning in for the evening, himself.

Haroldolfolus, Flarenificus, Lenadora

Claudius bids you good night as you make your way to The Harpy's Head, where you happen to cross paths with a furious Wyatt. Bringing you to his room, he slams the door behind the last to enter, and immediately begins to shout. "Now where the hall you been?" You suspect he doesn't really want an answer, as he continues talking before anyone really has a chance to explain. At least, his voice becomes a lot more quiet. "Whatever - I guess you folk have got things under control. That's good - shows you're thinking." He paces about the room a bit, smoking from a small roll of tobacco, that fills the room with a slightly noxious odor.

"If you're gonna be heading off again - which I'm sure you are - you probably want more equipment. Well, maybe not - but then, you'd be idiots if you didn't." He pulls out a large chest from behind his bed, which contains a varied assortment of weapons. "Crossbows, small swords, knives..." He then moves to his closet. "Oh, I got a glaive here too. Legal to have longarms around the city now - some scholars are saying big weapons can't be hidden, and so that's better than smaller blades. They're just highly taxed, and you need to have a *special* license." He opens the closet, retreives the polearm, and hands it to Len. "Here you go, little lady." He then hands his a piece of parchment, scribbled with the same kind of wording the other licenses have about small weaponry (except this one seems to justify the use of a hafted blade as a general defense weapon).

"I'll take whatever gold to Tieger you've got now - if we can put back every bit we get as soon as we get it, we're probably better off than with a huge chunk of their cash entirely missing for weeks on-end. Get what I'm saying?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Inside the chest are: 2 Light Crossbows, 1 Heavy Crossbow, 40 bolts, 10 darts, 2 daggers, 1 hand axe, 2 shortswords and a kurkri. You can take whatever you like. Also, if you'd like to purchase anything (ie ERS, I recall you wanting a sickle), you can just purchase whatever you like, just be sure to communicate how you're using wealth with one-another.

tamale, if you want to repair that spyglass to sell it, you'll need to make an untrained craft check (since you declared your skill to be weaponsmithing), or find someone else to do it - you can PM me and we can discuss it in detail

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, it looks like nobody killed each other at their first meeting. That's actually rather swell. +50 XP all-around!

30. - Top - End - #810

Flare

Besides his veil-obscured eyes, only Flare's mouth can be scene beneath the folds of his clothing, and it transforms from a blissful smile to a more cynical smirk.

I think I understand more than just what you're saying Wyatt, or whatever your name really is. And although I can only speak for my own share of our earnings, I can pretty safely say that I'm not giving you a copper.
    Last edited by EvilRoeSlade; 2008-03-09 at 11:45 PM.