Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Wearily, he shakes his head. "No, that'd never work...I...I..." He begins to stumble towards the exit.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Len slips her halberd's blade back into its leather hood and snakes her arm through the weapon's carrying strap, blinking in surprise when ace thanks her by name...sort of.

    What's left of the inn is ominously hushed in the precarious break. Somehow, the musician she vaguely remembers having some business with has survived the carnage and takes charge.

    His first act, besides throwing open the window and yelling, is to talk up the innkeeper and begin reviving the guards. Not wanting to carry the other two brawlers, she focuses her attention on them. Deciding which of the two bleeding men should take priority is hard;

    Heal Check on Ritan and Fargrim
    (1d20+2)[15]

    Kneeled over a man with a horribly mashed nose, she looks over in relief when the innkeeper stands up, and then sighs when he staggers toward the door.

    "Sit tight." she says quickly to her patient, leaping to her feet and intercepting the old man.

    "Hey, take it easy!" she says, pushing him back toward the bar in mediation.

    Diplomacy Check:
    (1d20+2)[4]

    "Unless you want to spend the rest of your natural life being passed around the cellblock like a peace pipe, siddown and think of a way to get us out of here."

    Spoiler
    Show

    OOC: Just you try and sneak away. I've got a Strength and Use Rope check waiting for you.

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilRoeSlade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Flare moves over to Len. "I've got a plan. We'll go out the back and if we see any guards, I'll talk us past them. We have to hurry. Carry whoever you can."

    He glances briefly to Harold. "You too."
    Last edited by EvilRoeSlade; 2007-07-12 at 10:31 PM.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Great Skenardo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    B5 and B6

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Harold Betruger
    The handsome bard looks around the Inn, apparently weighing the choice of running off with a bunch of violent criminals or being the one left behind to account for at least three wounded guards.
    He hoists the strap of his mandolin a little further up on his shoulder.
    "Right. Lead on, Uh...whoever you are."
    "Where is the Wisdom of one who only quotes the Wise?" ~Maboroshi


    Talgot's Mask by Tiffanie Lirle

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Quote Originally Posted by EvilRoeSlade View Post
    Flare moves over to Len. "I've got a plan. We'll go out the back and if we see any guards, I'll talk us past them. We have to hurry. Carry whoever you can."
    Without letting go of the inkeeper, Len nods at Harold. "Not to be difficult, but handsome here tried to sneak out that way earlier. Will you go see if whatever stopped him is still there before I agree to this?"

    She discreetly peers out the front door, roughly estimating the guard strength between the inn and the wagon. She's isn't about to start arguing with ace at a time like this, but a solid Plan B is nevertheless forming in her head and in her opinion, this situation is beyond sneaking.

    "Hmm..."

    OOC: So, deepblue, what's the lay of the land?
    Last edited by Too_many_tamale; 2007-07-12 at 11:12 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    The innkeeper quietly panicks as Len holds onto him - he whimpers but does not struggle.

    Outside, you spot at least 12 armed men by the wagon, which less than 50ft away. They seem to be ready for anyone who would try to escape via the streets. Among their ranks you spot 10 regulars, a captain, and a robed man with whom the captain currently speaks. You cannot fully make out what they say, but it would seem the robed man intends to enter with a portion of them, by their gestures and a few words here and there.

    With 5 of these men with crossbows facing the door, and 5 others with halberds, there's no doubt in your mind that attacking them would be suicide.

    Visible exits from the tavern hall, aside from this door to certain doom, would be south, where some patrons ran to, east, where the flanking guards came from, and the stairs in the southeast corner.

    Suddenly, you hear a cry from above - coming from out a window on the second floor.

    "Help! Help me!" He calls out to the city guards. "There's a bunch of maniacs in here, they're cutting down everyone! Help!"

    It's unlikely he's referring to anyone other than your "group".
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-07-13 at 02:17 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilRoeSlade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Flare holds up his hand and his fingertips are engulfed in light. "Secure the portal." The door leading outside closes. "Alright everybody, we can't delay any longer." Flare hurries out the southern exit.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Cast open/close.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Len balks at the sheer volume of manpower still remaining and abandons her idea of stealing the wagon. Discreetly, she slides her head back inside the door...

    Then someone, somewhere, begins squalling for help.

    When the door slams shut, she immediately lets go of the bartender, throws a table over and braces it against the heavy planks with a woody clunk.

    Craft (Barricade)
    (1d20+7)[17]

    Then she grabs a handy liquor bottle and messily stuffs a bandage down the neck, watching it darken as it soaks up the booze.

    "Hold up a second, ace!"

    Craft (Molotov cocktail)
    (1d20+7)[12] With a wink, she tosses it (unlit) to Flare, and sets to work hefting the nearest wounded, Ritan, onto her back. The blood has made him very slippery.

    The door thuds, rattling against the table. Hopefully it holds long enough.

    "Hey barkeep, its worth a gold piece if you help handsome here pick up the other guy!"

    With something between a snarl and a grunt, Len hefts the rogue up onto her shoulders and begins to shamble after Flare. She fails to notice when the fine, silvery chain of an elven necklace snakes out of her pocket and dangles invitingly, sparkling in the firelight just inches away from Ritan's nose.

    OOC: Yes, I am LenGuyver.

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilRoeSlade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Flare moves to Len's side, grunting with effort as he helps her with the table.

    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll=Strength]1d20-1[/roll]
    Last edited by EvilRoeSlade; 2007-07-13 at 02:41 PM.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    As you make your effort to barricade the door, you can already hear the guards running for the entrance. You manage to set the table in place, but lack the time to fully fortify the barrier, as the guards already seem upon you. They pound on the door for a moment before calling out to the others of their number. "Quickly, an axe! They've barred the door!"

    The innkeeper continues to panic as the chaos persists. "Oh dear Faharam!" He ignore's Len's plea to assist them, and instead runs to corner beside the bar, curling up into a ball.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilRoeSlade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    "We have no more time, let's get out of here!" Flare unsheathes his longspear and pushes it through the handles, further reinforcing the door and then rushes towards the southern exit.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Len plods after Flare and Harold until she has to step over the unconscious Fargrim.

    "Hey barkeep, get back over here and--!" she begins until the door shudders from the vicious bite of an axe. There really isn't any time to help Fargrim and if Puerto Gideon's law enforcement are as unlike Guilder's as she has heard, then he will be cared for.

    Instead, she stoops down and kisses him on the forehead, unsure if he can even hear when she explains "For luck." A knot forms in her stomach when she realizes he will take most of the fall if they get away. "C'mon, bard! Good looks don't help you in prison."

    Silently, the glistening necklace slips free from her billowing vest pocket, spilling into a small pile on Fargrim's chest as it lands. The elven writing on the coin-like medalion glints in the firelight until, buffeted by the unconscious man's breathing, it slides down inside his collar and disappears.

    Len fails to notice and thuds away with Ritan bouncing wildly on her shoulders, hopping out the door and stumbling away.

    Fairly sure that they won't get far like this, Len glances around as she runs for something to hide in or ride on. Other than letting her cross paths with a mage, life has yet to throw her a bone today.

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, that necklace was important so don't let Fargrim lose it. I'll explain later.
    Last edited by Too_many_tamale; 2007-07-14 at 02:05 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Great Skenardo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    B5 and B6

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Harold
    Harold Betruger winces with each thud of the axe on the door.
    "I don't suppose you'd all consider giving yourselves up? I mean, you were shouting about repression an' that, but once you get to jail, you get a pretty fair trial here. 'course..." he looks at the unconscious guards "Not much chance of getting away scot-free. Lead on; I'll be right behind you"
    Don't antagonize the woman with the blood-soaked weapon. Good advice any time.
    "Where is the Wisdom of one who only quotes the Wise?" ~Maboroshi


    Talgot's Mask by Tiffanie Lirle

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilRoeSlade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Flare just shakes his head as he moves along. "It's not that I want to hold myself above the law. It's just that I'm beyond it. If they wanted my cooperation, they should have asked for it, not demanded it. And besides, if this were really a den of thieves, then they ought to have a hidden exit."
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    You reach the south door and quickly find yourselves in what appears to be an ordinary hallway, extending both left and right. Simple wooden doors can be found on either side of the hall, which presumably lead to common rooms. At the right end of the corridor you spot a broader door than the rest, much like those found in the tavern hall. At the left end, the corridor turns sharply around a corner, continuing left.

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilRoeSlade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Flare shuts the door firmly behind him and hurries down the hall. He stops at the large door, glancing around for any windows that are on the same wall. "Could this be the exit?" He wonders out loud. He pushes the door open slowly, alert for danger.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Great Skenardo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    B5 and B6

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Harold Betruger
    Bringing up the rear, the minstrel takes a moment to look sorrowfully at the state of his shirt. The white fabric, once immaculate as an angel's underwear, now was smudged and stained with whatever unguessable humours had occupied the floor beneath the table.
    Still, I'll be lucky if the shirt's the only thing I have to mourn tomorrow he adds, mentally.
    As the strange man with the unearthly eyes begins searching along the hall, Harold reaches surreptitiously for the knob of the closest room, and checks it softly.
    Unlocked.
    As quickly and quietly as he can, Harold flings open the door, darts inside, and closes it behind himself with barely a click
    "Where is the Wisdom of one who only quotes the Wise?" ~Maboroshi


    Talgot's Mask by Tiffanie Lirle

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I shoulda took your mandolin as insurance.


    Len crouches behind Flare, peering over his head as she gently tilts Ritan to one side, in case she needs to schuck him off quickly.

    She is sweaty, sore, shaking and becoming a little bit queasy as something warm runs down her back, soaking through her vest and underlying chain mail.

    Suddenly, she remembers what she had meant to ask the bard, only to realize that he's gone without a trace. Well, it was a long shot anyway.

    She returns her attention to the doorway...

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Len and Flare find themselves staring into a storage room. There are barrels, crates, shelves...it seems like a dead end. The room is dark, and might be easier to hide in, that most others in the inn.

    Harold sneaks into a room, unnoticed by the others, and closes the door behind him. He finds himself in a vacant inn room, with clean white linens on a simple wooden bed. Beside it is a desk, and just beyond that is a small crack of a window, one barely large enough to fit a head through.

    Suddenly, the sound of wood clanking can be heard, and it becomes apparent the soldiers have entered. Their heavy armor clanks throughout the tavern hall, and their heavy boots send vibrations through the wooden floor. Words are barked out, and movement continues within the room.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilRoeSlade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Flare darts out of the room, pausing for a moment. "Too bad," he says. "I liked his music."

    He moves further down the hallway.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground
     
    The Great Skenardo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    B5 and B6

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Harold Betruger
    Harold taps his fingers on the neck of the mandolin, thoughtfully. There was a chance that in their pursuit, they wouldn't think to check each and every Inn room. Then he could conceivably sneak out. If worse came to worse, he'd just surrender; his conscience was clean in this mess. Either way, nothing to do but sit on the bed and keep quiet.
    "Where is the Wisdom of one who only quotes the Wise?" ~Maboroshi


    Talgot's Mask by Tiffanie Lirle

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Len grumbles, turning around after Flare and following toward the other hallway, slowing to a creep as she passes the bar entrace.

    Move Silently
    (1d20+1)[17]

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    As Len and Flare move through the hallway, the clanking of armor becomes louder. Suddenly, the hall door bursts open and three guards pour in. They quickly spot the pair and hold their weapons ready. "You there! Throw down your weapons, or we'll spare you no mercy!"

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilRoeSlade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Flare spins around, turning to the guards. "Help me please!" He cries. "They've taken my little girl! My sister tried to fight them off but they wounded her badly."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff - (1d20+8)[28]
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Len crosses her fingers.

    "And our poor servant, here! Why, Diddles, why?!" she wails theatrically in the unconscious Ritan's face before sobbing into his neck.

    Aid Bluff
    (1d20)[11]

    Her face pressed into a stranger's scratchy stubble, she immediately thinks to herself You dumbass. Hopefully they haven't spotted her halberd.

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    The guards hesitate. The glance at one-another, and one comes forth. "What?! They have a hostage?" He seems to believe you. "One of you!" He turns to the others. "Go inform the commander!" He turns back. "Which way did they go?"

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilRoeSlade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Flare is frantic. "They went this way, I think they're hiding out in one of these rooms. We were trying to find a safe place to hide when you came along."
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    OOC: High-five, Roe.

    They're actually buying it!

    Face still buried in Ritan's shoulder, Len almost chokes in shock. Preferring to quit while ahead, she limits herself to helplessly whimpering over her fictional, heinously kidnapped niece and 'Diddles'.

    Flare is handling the alibi fine on his own.

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    "Right." The guard scans the hallway. "You lot go with Bors here, he'll bring you to safety." He points to the other remaining guard, who stands by the door.

    More guards can be heard moving throughout the inn. More orders are barked, and more people are told to come outside.

    One of the hall doors creek open, and a man peeks out. "What's going on out there?" He calls out, and the guard (who spoke with you) rushes to meet him. "You there! Please, come this way! Everything will be alright, so long as you cooperate." He stands about 30ft away, back facing you, just beside the door leading to the tavern hall. The man peeking out is about another 10ft further down.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-07-17 at 02:32 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilRoeSlade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

    Spoiler
    Show
    So nobody is paying attention to me right now?


    Flare darts into the storage room and hides behind a crate.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Hide - (1d20+2)[13]
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •