New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

Flare

Good, that was easier than I thought. Maybe I can still catch up to the others. Flare smiles and walks over to the star, kneeling down and retrieving it. Well, we meet again, don't we?

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen - (1d20)[1]

Spot - (1d20)[14]
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

2. - Top - End - #932
    Ogre in the Playground

The voice sounds irritated. "You need to work on your aim, buddy. That ogre was a huge target. And, falling into a river isn't fun, you know - I could have drowned."

3. - Top - End - #933
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Hehe, I love that shuriken. Its a good thing Len isn't carrying it, or she'd never shut up.

Listen (1d20)[11]
    Spot (1d20)[3] + Whatever the spyglass is worth

Len dismounts. While there most defninitely is a dead horse and a relieved looking traveller, something about the way he presented it sounds like bait to Len.

"Sure. I guess we should go have a look around or something?" she ventures 'naively', pretending to turn away from him and itch her nose but shooting a discreet gesture* at the party. Then she stoops down to examine the arrows and listen for a suspicious answer.

Sense Motive (1d20+3)[12]

Spoiler
    Show

I have no idea who that is, but pretty eyes make tamale go stupider...hur.
    Last edited by Ya Ta Hey!; 2008-04-09 at 12:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar0k
    Probability has betrayed me, I thought we had a thing.

President, Founder, and Chairman of the Ya-Ta-Hey! Self-Promotion Club

4. - Top - End - #934

Flare

Hey, says Flare, trying to sound cross even though he doesn't feel it. Show a little respect. I've lost friends to water, but they've all had lungs. He frowns at the thought. Sorry. Anyway, I'm glad to have you back. Ever since I ended up in these lands, I've been... lonely. It's good that you're here. He grins through his bandanna. Whoops. You don't strike me as the touchy-feely type. I'll be quiet for now. As he walks, he carries the star in his hand, retracing his route and moving briskly in an effort to catch up with his companions.
    Last edited by EvilRoeSlade; 2008-04-09 at 01:43 AM.

5. - Top - End - #935

Shimar

The barbarian gets off his horse with a jump when meeting the other wayfarer.

He would like to ask how one could get lost in a forest, but he quiets for now when he sees that Len's up to something. Instead, he takes a quick look at the arrows, to see if their quality indicates goblin craftmanship, or not.

Listen - (1d20+1)[15]
    Spot - (1d20-1)[12]
    Troubles in Athkatla, an FR game about schemings around an ancient curse
    The messengers, a game about finding allies in times of need

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I can't access my sheet at work, so I'll have to add the bonuses tonight

spot(1d20)[19]

listen(1d20)[12]

sense motive (1d20)[4]

7. - Top - End - #937
    Ogre in the Playground

Delta Squadron

The man seems completely confused by Len's behavior. "What? Look around? Miss, it's dangerous out here, I tell ya!" He seems to speak with honesty and actual concern for your well-being. "I'm not asking you to get me any revenge for my horse, or bring in any monsters...I just want to get out of here. Can you help me, or not?"

Shimar notes the arrows are crude and could be the makings of goblins.

"Sir, I wish we could bring you with us," says Titus, "but we make for dangerous lands. Porto Giedion is back this way," he points in the direction from which you came. "Are you short on supplies, or can you make due for a few days travel?"

The man explains he has very little, and states he is willing to trade what he carries for enhanced protection and additional rations, as he is short.

Supplies he carries:
    Spoiler
    Show

-Iron Skillet
    -Tin Cup
    -Tin Plate
    -Knife (treat as small-sized dagger)
    -Hooded Lantern
    -2 pints of Oil
    -8oz vial of Ink
    -Inkpen
    -1 lb of Soap
    -10 sheets of parchment
    -Book entitled "Gulliver's Travels: The Adventurer's Manual, volume 3: Fighting Fearsome Foes"
    -Small, steel mirror

Tango

"Nah, I don't mind praise. It's good you're not like those countless other blind fools, and actually see how great I am."

Retracing your steps, you return to the bridge, and cross without any problems. The road here is less defined, but the tracks are rather clear along the dirt path before you. For some time you follow them, but the rest are nowhere in sight.

As you progress, you occassionally hear sounds coming from the depths of the woods, but no creature is in sight. It ranges from a few snaps of twigs to low, child-like whispers, and you get the most unpleasant feeling that someone is looking right over your shoulder. The sounds grow closer the further you go.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-07-07 at 01:27 AM.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deepblue706 View Post
    The man seems completely confused by Len's behavior. "What? Look around? Miss, it's dangerous out here, I tell ya!" He seems to speak with honesty and actual concern for your well-being.
    "Ah. Of course, how silly of me." Len agrees, making a big show of looking thoroughly chastised but feeling more at ease. She suddenly realizes how edgy the last few days have made her.

She takes out two of the full size daggers she never got around to selling, and offers them. "I'll trade you this one for the soap and mirror. The other one, I'll exchange for the little knife so you can trade up. I'm feeling generous."

9. - Top - End - #939
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold scratches his head.
    "If you don't mind my asking sir, what's so important in port that you'd risk the trip with a damaged wagon and no horse? You've been attacked once already; wouldn't it be safer to come with us back to town, and get together a convoy of some kind?"
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    There is no wagon. Just the dead horse. He's carrying this stuff in a huge backpack.

"Harold, what are you suggesting we do, now?" asks Titus, who wears a confused expression on his face.

Before anyone can clarify, the man answers Harold's question. "I'm supposed to meet with one of the magistrates - apparently they want me to help redesign some old building, or something...I really don't know much about it, but I'm getting paid well. Well enough to take care of my ma and pa - they live out in the country, and, well, have hit hard times. But, since I've got some schooling, I have a chance to make it in Porto Giedion. I'm probably going to be a little late, but I still need to get there!"

The man accepts Len's proposal, giving up the pound of soap, the knife and the mirror for the two daggers. He awkwardly holds both, obviously not sure how to properly wield the weapons together, and probably immediately regretting the trade.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-04-09 at 07:24 PM.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Lucian digs in his backpack and pulls out two days' trail rations.

Here you are, sir. Perhaps these will help you on your way. May Faharam protect you.

12. - Top - End - #942

Flare

Flare decides not to correct the star's assumption as he continues the conversation. Well yeah. I knew you were special the second I found you. But I have been wondering, what exactly you are uhh... oh. I never asked your name. What do you call yourself?

As the day goes on and Flare begins hearing mysterious noises, he ceases conversation, tucks the star in his pocket, and breaks into a light jog. Stealth was of course an option, but under the circumstances it seemed best to simply find the others as soon as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll hustle for the next hour of travel, doubling my overland speed. If I still haven't caught up with the rest by then I'll continue hustling for the next two hours, taking the appropriate amount of nonlethal damage and becoming fatigued.

13. - Top - End - #943

The book the man carries catches Drahlo's eye, and he offers to cast a spell to grant the man pure water for his passage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attempting to trade a Create Water spell for the book. Also, if the man is wounded or injured at all, he will cast a Cure Minor Wounds on him.

Also, Spot/Listen: (1d20+7=15, 1d20+7=27)
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2008-04-10 at 04:34 AM.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ogre in the Playground

The Traveller

The man thanks Lucian deeply for his generous offer. "This should definitely last me."

When Drahlo makes his offer, he snorts. "Heh. You really want to take advantage of my situation, huh? You know, people do spend time writing books, so it's not like they're cheap. And, this is a Gulliver's..." He halts with a sigh. "You know what? Fine. Refill my waterskins. The book is yours." He rolls his eyes.

Lucian then notices someone approaching your location, following the same path you had. A moment to consider his appearance leaves you thinking this may be Flare returning.

Elsewhere

"Zardulox." the star replies. "That's with a Z. And don't forget the rolling of the tongue. Zzzarrrrdulox." He pauses. "Or was X the letter everyone liked? Yeah, make that an X. That's my name. What's yours, again? Flame? Floral? Flan?"

He hushes up as you begin to hustle, and as you do, the voices seem to follow. However, you find hope at the end of a long stretch - your companions are in sight (albeit at still some distance- approximately 100 yards).

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless you ditched your horse, I'm ruling you still have it. So, there'll be no long arduous adventure for Flare on his way to regroup.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-04-10 at 12:13 PM.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold nods his agreement.
    "He's right, you know; a book is something valuable. An investment in time and thought. You don't really have anything I need," he says, thoughtfully,
    "But I'll tell you what;"
    Harold takes out his crossbow and a small quarrel of bolts, proffering them.
    "You look like a man who would rather keep his distance from a battle. Take this, and you don't owe me any of your supplies, but instead a favor, later on."
    Harold pulls a small square of stiff paper from his coat and offers it along with the crossbow.
    "My card. What's your name, then?"

16. - Top - End - #946

Flare

Flare spurs his horse into a gallop, closing with his companions. Guys! I'm back! I've done what I needed to do! Approaching, he skids his horse to a halt, taking several heavy breaths. His eyes light on the unfortunate merchant. And this is?

17. - Top - End - #947

Drahlo seems taken aback by the man's reaction. "My apologies; I am new to these lands. I do not know the value of these books well--my people pass their stories on through song and word. I do not want to swindle you, but all I have right now are my spells and a few gold pieces..."

18. - Top - End - #948

Shimar

The barbarian is not interested in the wares of the merchant. He keeps walking around, and looking around aimlessly. Then he goes over to the horse, and inspects it.

It was a fine horse, it looks like. We should butcher it from some horse meat. Foof for the travel, and it could be even sold in the market for a good price!

He suggests, while measuring the horses rear legs and various other muscles of the animal.

It was quick. - he answers Flare - Did you change your mind, or did you actually finish what you started out for?
    Troubles in Athkatla, an FR game about schemings around an ancient curse
    The messengers, a game about finding allies in times of need

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Hey, good to see you!" Len smiles at the caster. "This guy's ran into some trouble and needs some supplies. Feeling generous?"

Still uneasy about the surroundings, Len gets out Wyatt's shortbow and takes cover behind her horse, once again scanning the surroundings.

Spoiler
    Show

Take as much cover as a horse permits (partial?)

Spot (1d20)[19]
    Listen (1d20)[11]

20. - Top - End - #950
    Ogre in the Playground

Flare notes the voices stop immediately after he is rejoined with the party.

With Drahlo's apology, the man sees his offer as genuine. "I really do need the water - might find a spring around here somewhere, but it could very well be tainted. Take the book, I'm done reading it anyway."

The man is very pleased with Harold, quite surprised he would hand over such a weapon and asking nothing in return (just yet, anyway). "Hareld, fine sir. That's my name." He reads the card with some interest, and looks as if he is about to comment on it - but is then distracted by what Shimar has to say. "I hate to want to know you want to butcher the animal, but I suppose she won't...miss anything. Might as well make use of what you can..." He seems a bit down.

His eyes come back to life once he spots Len draw her bow. He ducks down. "What are you doing? Did you hear something? Oh dear god, they must be back. I'm getting out of here!" He begins to walk away at a fairly quick pace. "Good luck with whatever you're doing, whoever you people are!"
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-04-11 at 11:22 PM.

21. - Top - End - #951

Flare

Yeah, I was feeling generous, says Flare, watching the man leave curiously. But I guess that isn't important anymore. He laughs lightly and gives her back a pat after pulling his horse up to her side. Come on, you don't think I'd let you ruin Harold's plans all by yourself now, do you?

After this greeting, which carries a distinctly relieved subtext, Flare dismounts with a thud. The horse has him interested as well, though he's more absorbed with the arrows sticking out of it than the possibility of dinner. I always finish what I start, Flare murmurs. He gives Shimar a glance as he rises before returning to his horse. And yeah, I usually do it quickly.

22. - Top - End - #952

As the man begins to leave, Drahlo waves to him and says a phrase in orcish that translates roughly to, "Spring breeze be at your back." He slides the book into his satchel--doing his best not to disturb Guha--before turning to the horse. "Horsemeat would indeed make a decent meal or three... "

23. - Top - End - #953
    Dwarf in the Playground

Still not putting away the bow, Len remains behind the horse and takes out the spyglass to aid her monitoring. Her view briefly rests on Shimar and Drahlo as they check out the dead horse hunrgily. It actually doesn't sound all that bad.

"Speaking of plans, let me fill you in; once we get to the town--" she pauses to peer intently at something, before continuing her sweep. "--we're going to hunt around the countryside and try to get the public opinion of what's been happening. Harold and that new guy Lucian are going to split off and do their own thing."

Len can't help but imagine how delicate things are going to be when the bard and caster confront the governor. Just to make sure they can do their job without her sorcerer friend tagging along to go for the jugular, she fills her deep brown eyes with a pleading look.

"Flare, I'm not sure how to say this, and I know its probably just a hoax and all, but...I'm really kinda sweating it over these undead, you know?" She makes a show of peering absently into the spyglass as if embarassed by her confesison as she hurries her voice with fake emotion.

"Heh, I mean, seeing someone you care about reduced to this mindless caricature of life who doesn't know you anymore, and having no choice but to...? I-I don't wanna be out there alone; just promise me you'll stay close when we're out there."

She feels a little bad but technically its true, not to mention being for a good cause; namely, not getting Harold and Lucian killed irrespective of the case with the magistrate.

Spoiler
    Show
    Len is worse than Elaine. And I don't mean at dancing.

Oh crap, I just realized that shuriken is probably in on this whole conversation. Please don't pipe up, please don't pipe up...
    Last edited by Ya Ta Hey!; 2008-04-13 at 01:44 AM.

24. - Top - End - #954

Flare

Flare brushes a strand of white hair from his brow. He shuffles nervously, almost taking a step away from Len and then stopping. Len... I'm not sure how to say this. But uhh... are you making a pass at me?

25. - Top - End - #955
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: Haha, crap. I can't believe I'm capitalizing on this; I'm never writing from a female perspective again

IC: Oh. Oh dear.

Len clenches her jaw and nearly blows the act, but forces herself to blink down at the ground before peering even more intently into the spyglass. Thankfully, the urge to laugh gives her a nice, healthy blush.

"..." She doesn't dare open her mouth right now.
    Last edited by Ya Ta Hey!; 2008-04-13 at 02:33 AM.

26. - Top - End - #956

Flare

Flare opens his mouth. And closes it. And opens it again. Oh. Okay, don't take this the wrong way, because I'm flattered. Really I am. It's just uhh... I like men. Flare lets out a nervous laugh. I was planning to go with Harold anyway, so I guess that's settled, eh?

27. - Top - End - #957
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold places his palm against his forehead carefully, but then he speaks
    "Ah-ha. Well, I'm very flattered as well, Flare, but I prefer women. So perhaps you'd best hang around the others, hm?"
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2008-04-13 at 08:03 AM.

28. - Top - End - #958

Flare

Flare's eyes narrow. Thanks, but that's not what I meant.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Lucian backs away from the conversation and focuses on scanning the area around them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+2)[16] Listen (1d20+6)[19]

30. - Top - End - #960
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold adopts an intensely thoughtful expression.
    "So what you're saying, then, is that you're planning to go along with me and Lucian here (Lucian willing, of course), and do tactful investigation instead of hunting down foul undead in the countryside? I don't suppose there's a way I can change your mind about that? I really feel your talent for concentrated anarchy is better served in pitched battle."