New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

Fargrim barely holds back an outburst of joy. I'm out! All right, calm down... As he heads towards the door, Fargrim casually remarks, "And I suppose my confiscated things will be returned. Well then, with a possible arrest still hanging over my head, I guess I'll get going." Fargrim stops and sharply turns towards the robed man. "Hey, so, just for kicks, exactly what did you put in my unconscious body, and when does it wear off?"
    Last edited by ByeLindgren; 2007-07-20 at 01:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold blinks rapidly, his knuckles white as the tighten on the neck of the mandolin.
    Royal Inquisitor...I can't tell if this is better or worse.
    Harold stands hastily and makes ready to follow.
    I'm going to guess worse. This trial thing looks like something that'll be dangled over our heads.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

The man gives Fargrim a disinterested look. "I don't know of what you speak, sir. But, yes, the weaponry you held can be reclaimed..." he pauses. "...once you obtain a license. A court was in session earlier today, which declared the use of magic and weaponry inside the city limits to be a threat to society, unless regulated. If you wish to obtain a license, you must visit the offices of Magistrate Eisen. It is a short walk from here."
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-07-20 at 01:14 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flare is silent, watching the Inquisitor with a slight, mysterious smile.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

You are led through the building and eventually, the exit. You stand in Lawmaker's Way, the rich streets looking much like the noble's subdistrict. There are lamp posts about every 50 feet, standing tall in their regal design, starting to be lit for the evening to come. Guards stand in all directions.

Before you is the Golden Court, and across the way stands the majestic Courthouse of Giedion. Not far from there are several offices of the state, including another barracks.

A tall building looms ominously in the background - it is dark, and foreboding. It is called Crowhaven, a prison built generations ago. While originally built mundane, they say mages are hired to ward the place with powerful magics.

A carriage pulls up before you. "You certainly must have powerful friends. They've requested you to be taken straight to them. This way, please." The robed man, says, and steps inside.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-07-20 at 01:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Walking out of the prison, Fargrim feels the fresh air and takes in the view of luxury. The air and the sights are both tainted by the robed man's responses. I don't know what you speak of... Obtain a license... "Harold, I'm not sure I would count this as being a free man just yet. You got two months."

The carriage pulls up. "You certainly must have powerful friends..." Yeah, but how many? "I guess I'll deal with the Magistrate rejecting my request for a weapons license tomorrow." Fargrim enters the carriage.

7. - Top - End - #157

Flare makes no move to step inside the carriage. "And what about the woman?"

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

"Len? Don't worry. She'll be with you soon enough." He looks to Harold. "Are you ready to depart, Mr. Betruger?"

9. - Top - End - #159

"By the way, thanks for the help." Flare enters the carriage.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Fargrim, Harold, Flare

"I'm just doing my job, sir."

((I'm assuming Harold gets in))

The carriage slowly makes its way through the city streets - the man with you silent all the way. By his expression, he is discomforted, but not suffering any aggravation.

It is certainly nice to relax in the carriage, as the seats are not plainly wooden, but fitted with most exquisite cushions. You regret it when the carriage finally stops, and your company asks you to follow him out.

You look up to find you are before the looming structure you spotted just earlier - the Crowhaven. It is a large complex, surrounded by a large courtyard. The entrance is closed by portcolis, and a set of iron doors.

The man approaches the entranceway, who is immediately recognized by the guards. "Welcome, Inquisitor Gerney." One of the two stationed at the door calls out, and the portcolis is lifted. Gerney leads you inside, halting before reaching the first waystation. "We are to wait here."

After a short wait, you find the other two (Len and Ritan) being led over by a third, a middle-aged man with dark hair, and a scar on his forehead.

-------------------------------------------------------
    Len

Back in the prison, Len watches as Ritan and one of the men exchange words (the other walks off). Ritan seems surprised by the visit, and judging from his tone, he is very grateful. But then, he seems a bit confused. "You thought they were with me?"

The man he speaks with doesn't seem pleased. He speaks strongly, in a distinctly low voice. "They were quick to join you in the fight, no? I assumed they were fellow operatives - perhaps even friends, considering this one here even carried you around, supposedly." He shoots you a glance. "Someone screwed something up, and what happened wasn't supposed to. I wasn't about to let a bunch of kids get thrown away because The Guild lacks any sense of responsibility." He ponders for a moment. "And regardless of who they actually are, I can't take back a bribe. You've been cleared, and I need you to get to work, immediately. If they find out about this, every last one of you will wake up with slit throats - me too." He begins walking for the exit. "This way - we've got to meet with the rest of your entourage."

Ritan and who you presume to be his friend lead the way out of the holding area, and beyond several waystations. In this light, you can see the man to set you free is middle-aged, and from the looks of a scar on his forehead and one on his arm, has seen a few fights. His eyes tell you of experience, and wisdom.

Eventually, you come to what appears to be the exit, and before you stand four individuals you met the previous night: Harold, Flare, Fargrim, and the mage that you presume took you in. He doesn't pay you any attention, focusing on the man who visited your cell, and brought you out.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"They're all here, Mr. Tieger, just as you requested. I will depart, now." Gerney leaves, with only this other man to answer your questions.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    That was a very elegant solution. I would have needed to resort to some big, overwritten prison break or intrigue.

[/brownnosing]

"Avarice sure has its uses." Len sighs uneasily to herself.

Although it appears that the Medician justice system is going to conventiently forget her debt to society and, for all of her supposed self-reformation, her conscience is shamefully clear about last night, her nerves are still stretched taut.

Bribes are nice when they work, but there's usually quite a few strings attached besides money. Hmm...

Intelligence Check
    (1d20+3)[21]

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold nods complacently as the coach rattles along. Now this was more hie element. The handsome minstrel scratches his chin, however, when Ritan and Len are brought along as well.
    This can't be right. The giant said that they'd never met before, and he seemed to be telling the truth...and yet, here they are. Did we step on someone's toes, or did someone pull strings on our behalf? Where's the pricetag?
    Aloud, he says
    "Ah, the rest of our merry band. It's good to know you aren't languishing in a cell, certainly."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Maybe I should blow these fools off and find Seimon...

Fargrim thinks better of it. "Er, pleased to meet you, Mr. Tieger, was it?" Fargrim extends his hand.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fargrim Waterwalker of Deepblue's Vagabond
    Charles Hillbell of the Plane of Madness
    Jaska Kuoppala of The Last Light
    Kenneth of Oghma of A Fatal Mistake
    Martin Norland of Lich Ruler
    Robert the Mad in the Valley of Death
    Philotheos hopefully in Struggles of the Gods
    Too many, you say?

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

He nods. "We have very important business to discuss." He glances around. "Of course, this isn't the appropriate place - I just wanted to make sure I had you all together as soon as possible. It's imperative that we get moving along quickly, so, if you would follow me..."

He leads you back into the streets, glancing around nervously, almost frantic. Not a moment later, a large carriage arrives, and Tieger breathes a sigh of relief. He nods to the driver, a short, fat man, and holds the door open for you. "Inside now, I'll answer your questions once we've begun moving along." Ritan obeys without hesitation.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold follows close on Ritan's heels. It's pretty obvious that it wasn't a request, although the why of it was still something of a puzzle.
    If I had to guess, I'd say one of these fellows is very important to this man. The target of the raid, perhaps?

16. - Top - End - #166

Flare also steps into the coach, sitting slightly apart from the others. "You can call me Flare," he says calmly. "Would you mind telling us what this is all about?"

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Fargrim frowns when Mr. Tieger hastily ignores his hand but quickly follows Ritan into the carriage. He says nothing, awaiting the answer to Flare's question.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too many, you say?

18. - Top - End - #168
    Halfling in the Playground

Her suspicions all but confirmed, Len plants her foot on the carriage running boards and, as far as she's concerned, steps back into prison.

Pillowing her head against a window frame, she peers wistfully out at a modest tree garden. As her clouded mind wanders, the sight gives way to thoughts about Doctor Ziye's lushly wooded estate. She decides that it was the most beautiful place she has ever seen, a knot of stately old forest overlooking a broad harbor, but insulated from the bustling commerce by a breathtakingly fresh mist as the salty air wafted through the woods.

Worlds away, Flare asks, "Would you mind telling me what this is all about?"

Len can only smirk at pondering what an awkward sight she had been at Ziye's funeral service, gingerly padding along in wide-eyed wonderment with her vicious polearm. At the time, however, she had misinterpereted the understandably resentful looks of Ziye's grieving kin as aloofness, which lasted throughout her stumbling self-introduction. Snubbed again, just like the rest of her attempts.

Haggard and still reeling from another attack of her fever, her composure had finally failed her in spectacular fashion. Storming around in the reverently hushed clearing, an unwanted interloper at the worst possible occasion, Len remembers shrieking semi-coherently at the elves, her big brown eyes pooling with tears of frustration...

She would like to think that she persuaded them, rather than having them pity her. Either way, she did not expect the amount of information she recieved, and even less what came next; An elegant, finely crafted necklace, right here in her--

"Oh shhhhi--! " Len whispers, patting down her empty pockets. The elven widow's solemn warning, that Silverweave could not and would not help her without that necklace, rings coldly in her memory.

Exhausting all the possible pockets twice over, she eyes the thief Ritan apprasiningly; she had carried him for quite a while. She lets her expression cloud, and pretends to listen.
    Last edited by Too_many_tamale; 2007-07-23 at 03:26 AM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Mr. Tieger clears his throat, and finally begins his explanation. "It seems God has granted you all a bit of luck. Or, perhaps not." He starts, but then pauses to find the right words. "Whether you committed the crimes they said you had, or not, it seemed rather certain that all of you were going to be held in prison for a very long time. I cannot confirm reports of who the culprit is, but a higher-ranking guardsman was slain last night, at the tavern...and that combined with the attempted murder of the other guards would make your futures look rather grim. It seemed the entire incident was to be pinned on just you five."

He studies your expressions, and continues.

"They say there are those who control this city from the shadows...a Guild of men who through immoral codes, bend the aristocracy, even the lawmen to their will. These rumors are not far from the truth - in fact, there exists such a Guild, and I am one such member. Ritan was too, until recently. Considering the nature of the incident, I could not allow the life of one I knew to be utterly spent in a cell for crimes he did not commit, when it could have been avoided, if only some organizations were slightly more responsible..."

He takes a deep breath.

"When I considered the conduct of the lot of you, I mistook you for Ritan's friends. I had assumed he would not leave his companions behind unforgivingly - and talking about it would take time I simply do not have. That is indeed why I hastily made my decision, and why you are all here now. Time is very, very short."

He pauses again, noticably thinking hard on how to express his thoughts.

"The gold used to bribe the officials, and to get you out of the sentences you would receive, was quite a sum. A sum of which my own coffers cannot provide - and so The Guild is responsible for your release. Only..." He glances to each of you once more. "...it is unaware of its involvement. But, this is not something that will go undiscovered long. Their funds must be replenished, and quickly...or you will suffer fates much worse than a life of imprisonment. I will do my best to remain amongst The Guild, and gather what wealth I can alone, but I must implore you five to work together to obtain...no less than five-thousand gold coins. It is a daunting task, I know - but it can certainly be done. I am aware you all have talents, and am fully confident that you can do what is necessary to obtain the necessary funds. I only suggest that you try your best not to get caught by the city guard again, should you partake in anything illegal...as then I am sure your lives would be forfeit."

The carriage stops. "Are there any questions?"

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold drums his fingers lightly on the seat.
    "I'm not ungrateful for your blunder, for all that your assistance was unintentional, but hypothetically speaking, suppose that one of the knaves sprung from prison decided to skip town instead of trying to help out. What would be the consequences, both to him and to yourself?"

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Tieger grins. "Eventually, The Guild would find those responsible for the unauthorized usage of their funds. And, all parties involved would be kindly asked to "cough up" what is owed - which would probably be given about 1000% interest - or Guild members would spare the knave the effort and search his guts for anything of wealth, themselves."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Gulp. "Five... five thousand..." This got even worse. "How much time do we have to collect this sum?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too many, you say?

23. - Top - End - #173

Flare considers quietly. "While I do appreciate your help, it's very important to me that my fate be in my own hands. I believe I would have escaped soon enough by my own wits, and I really can't support a system like this, let alone fall into place within it. How would you respond if I refused to collect this money?"

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Tieger ignores Fargrim's question, his eyes shooting directly to Flare. "Escape? Not from the courts. Not from the Magistrates. And, certainly not from Crowhaven. Just who do you think you are, kid? Do you think because you have a few minor arcane talents, that the world will bend to your will? A Royal Inquisitor would barely need to lift a finger to put you in your place. And, The Guild - which I should note has even more influence than the so-called "authorities" - is far more ruthless than any justiciar of Medici. To walk out would be to condemn yourself, and compromise the efforts of those who actually want to live to see their late years." He seems rather frustrated. "But, I can't force you to help. If you're that foolish to condemn yourself at the start, trying to force you into helping would probably prove useless. Not that persuading someone with such a deathwish would be wise, in any case. You'd probably just prove to be a liability." He kicks open the carriage door. "Well? What are you waiting for? If you're not working with us, you're just in the way."

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Fear, desperation and anger stir Fargrim's subconscious. His own life hangs above his head, ready to drop at an indeterminate point should he not be able to collect on his debt. That life may be worthless, depending on what information he unconsciously gave to the Medician justice system. The final straw, the boiling point, is this man who refuses to even acknowledge Fargrim's existence. "Hey! Am I sequestered or something? How long do we have until a bunch of goons come kill us?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too many, you say?

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Tieger turns his attention to Fargrim. "Not long. I can't give you an exact date, but I suspect a couple of weeks, at most. That may seem like it gives you plenty of time to run - but in fact, The Guild possesses man-hunters of the likes that have successfully tracked those who tried to flee the continent. The safest bet is for you to work together, to gather what money you can in that time - which may not be as hard as you think. They call Porto Giedion the "Golden City of Opportunity" for a reason, you know. There are plenty of ways to make money, if you want it enough."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

"... Thank you, Mr. Tieger." Fargrim steps out of the carriage and waits for the other passengers to do the same. His face is slumped, but his eyes have a twinkle of determination. A couple of weeks... I have a chance. He looks up to Harold, still in the carriage. "All right, Mr. Betruger. Looks like you're going to have to work for that hundred."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too many, you say?

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold nods to himself. Yeah, it didn't take very deep pockets to hire killers, and if you had deep pockets and an overdeveloped sense of vengence, you could hire good killers. Harold tips an imaginary hat to Tieger.
    "I'm in, of course, but I have a few logistical questions, before we go. First, five thousand gold...does that need to be in coin, or will the equivalent in gems, magical items, etc serve as well? It's just that even if it were all in platinum, five thousand coins is ten pounds worth of coins; enough to make even the portliest of pockets bulge. Furthermore," Harold continues, listing the items off on his fingers, "Once we have the money (no doubt far ahead of schedule!), how shall it be delivered back? Will Ritan know how to contact you, and should we assume you're watching?"
    After waiting for the answer, (assuming one is forthcoming), Harold makes an amused snort at Fargrim's comment about the 100 gold pieces.
    "Normally for this sort of job, I'd charge about ten percent. But...I think I'll be doing this one pro bono, as it were."

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Tieger looks to Harold. "The Guild only really deals in coin - you're not going to look into a Guild coffer and find an assortment of which you'd see in a dragon's den. But, I know good appraisers, and I could make the necessary exchanges - so really, anything of value will do." He points to the building outside which you've stopped. "This inn is a safe place - there's no reason why any guards would be found investigating here, as it's in a good neighborhood with good folk - and that's why it'll serve as a meeting place for us. I have a very trusted man who will stay here throughout these dealings, who will go by the name of "Wyatt". He's not here now, but he'll be staying in room 12. He'll be your contact for me, and he'll try to keep an eye out for work. He knows all about noble's quarrels, mercenary companies, merchant's caravans, and all sorts of odd-jobs that'll be good for a group like you. Might be a touch dangerous, but I don't think there's any easier way to go about doing this. If you all knew how to work a heist, I'd say that'd be your best bet...but I don't think that's really an option as of now."

He clears his throat. "This inn - the Harpy's Head, as it's called - is more or less at the center of the city. Here, it should be easy for you to get wherever you intend to go, and easy to get back. Stay here tonight, and meet with Wyatt in his room first-thing tomorrow. I can have him provide you with some licenses and weaponry, but I don't quite have the King's armory at my disposal. Is there anything you'd like to request?"

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold looks thoughtful.
    "Letters of introduction of any stripe would be nice. Not necessarily from yourself, of course, but if you know someone who's good at handwriting, as I'm sure you do, a few choice names could be useful to drop. Dockmaster, a captain of the guard, a well-to-do merchant, an official of the Church...that sort of thing. Other than that, I've got what I need, I think."