New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

Ritan Drenathy

"Flare is right about the banks using muscle to collect, especially such a large amount of money. However, running away is not the answer," says Ritan. He picks up the piece of paper in front of him and slides it into his breast pocket.

"As far as this Wyatt person goes...I'm not sure. I may have met him before, maybe not. But not specifically by that name. Names mean little to the people we are dealing with now."
    Last edited by Saterus; 2007-07-27 at 12:51 PM.
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

"Well, that's reassuring. It seems to me that planning any sort of con is moot until we get what we get from Tieger and Wyatt." Fargrim looks around for a more private room, or even a semi-secluded space. Assuming there is such a location, he adds, "Since that's the case, I'll be right over there," motioning toward the secluded area, now looking straight at Len, "thinking about things I should keep to myself."

He walks over to the spot. That didn't come out right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fargrim Waterwalker of Deepblue's Vagabond
    Charles Hillbell of the Plane of Madness
    Jaska Kuoppala of The Last Light
    Kenneth of Oghma of A Fatal Mistake
    Martin Norland of Lich Ruler
    Robert the Mad in the Valley of Death
    Philotheos hopefully in Struggles of the Gods
    Too many, you say?

3. - Top - End - #213
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    That sounds like such a Jack Nicholson thing to say

"What fun colleagues you have." she muses to Ritan, after giving Fargrim a reluctant smile. "Its not easy being surrounded by question marks; people you probably can't trust or predict.."

She glances appraisingly at one such question mark, Harold. Musician, outrageous liar, problem solver, and who knows what else under that colorful exterior, he definitely strikes Len as sufficiently crafty to rescue the necklace. However, the thought of that same wit coupled with the influence over her that the medallion would give him makes Len shudder.

"Well guys, I guess we can call these ideas Plan B and Plan C. It shouldn't be too hard to make the necessary arrangements and then have them waiting in the wings if Wyatt and Tieger's ideas don't come through."

She hauls herself to her feet.

"I've got some other ideas that could put the disguise-artist to use, but I won't waste your attention on them until I've hammered them out so...see you guys tommorrow."

Len struggles to avoid eye contact with Fargrim as she takes the walk of shame to his booth, caging her eyes on the table in front of her as she shares his seat. "..."

In a flash of insight, she remembers how she must have lost the necklace to begin with, stooping down to...

"Whatever you do, don't take it out. The others won't be happy to see us hoarding valuables behind their backs." she grumbles through the side of her mouth. She has no doubt that if there happens to be a bard in the world who took the trouble to learn lip-reading, it would be Harold. The thief, it goes without saying.

"Do you like stories?"
    Last edited by Too_many_tamale; 2007-07-28 at 03:44 AM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Always has to be the roundabout way...

"Stories, eh? Do tell."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too many, you say?

5. - Top - End - #215

"Break out the violin, because this is a sad one."

Len takes a deep breath, and then warily recounts as much as she dares about the necklace, building it sentence by sentence with the most guarded wording possible.

"I guess I'll begin by saying that, this Guild? Yeah, I have more hanging over my head than that..."

Len covers all the bases, taking a few liberties with its presentation; It is worth a fortune and had been entrusted to her by a very influential family in Porto Gideon. The person who is supposed to recieve it was very dangerous, and Len's life depends on its safe delivery to him. Selling it at some pawn shop wouldn't do justice to its true value.

"...I didn't mean for you to get a hold of it. See, when you were knocked out last night, I stooped down to...to check your pulse, and it must have fallen out of my pocket." Len concludes.

"Please, I need it back." She folds her hands on the table, simply radiating sincerity.

Spoiler
    Show
    C'mon Fargrim, lets see that Lawful Evil alignment in action.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey now, Fargrim's a shining beacon of Good! Tee hee.

"That's a compelling story." Credible? Seems so... Not what I expected, though. "There's something missing from it, though. I'm sure it's as valuable as you say it is, and I'm glad you didn't give me a bogus appraisal in order to buy it back cheap." A hint of impatience rings in Fargrim's voice. "Trust me, I'm thrilled. But in Faraham's name, what makes it so valuable, and why would a noble entrust you with something that important?"
    Last edited by ByeLindgren; 2007-07-29 at 03:32 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too many, you say?

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold puts down his knife and leans back happily in his chair.
    Mmmm....roast chicken...
    Taking care to keep the grease off his instrument, Harold draws forth his mandolin and strokes a few notes, winding a slow, ponderous progression of chords. It always helped to have a little music while you think.
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2007-07-29 at 08:24 AM.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

8. - Top - End - #218

Quote Originally Posted by ByeLindgren View Post
    "Trust me, I'm thrilled. But in Faraham's name, what makes it so valuable, and why would a noble entrust you with something that important?"
    Len glances down at the tabletop. In her upset state of mind, she hadn't bothered to question her good luck when they gave it to her.

"You know, your guess is as good as mind." she shrugs. "It was an elven family, and I gather that this is a treasured heirloom of theirs; you've gotta wonder what kind of medallion it takes to impress the world's greatest jewelsmiths.

Of course, that does beg the quesiton of why they would trust me to deliver it to this prodigal son of theirs...if he's as dangerous as I was led to believe, then maybe I'm the only person who's dumb enough to try and search him out.
    "

Privately, Len assumes that it will carry special significance to Silverweave and add legitimacy to her claim of seeking his medical knowledge. Which reminds her again that she still forgot to ask Harold about that bandit.

An overwhelming on set of that shaky, clammy feeling, long since become familiar to Len, warns her that she doesn't have long to negotiate. With a reluctant breath, she seals her fate:

"After we meet Wyatt tomorrow, tell me what you want in exchange for it. I need to take a walk."

Len stands up weakly and disappears out the door, not to return until the sun creeps up again the next morning.

Spoiler
    Show
    That's my way of retiring Len for the night, since a couple of us seem to be getting bored. Nighty-night.

Follow her at your own risk.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger

Harold plays for a few minutes longer, obviously in the midst of some intensely-personal reverie. His hazel eyes are closed as he clutches the instrument, his fingers barely even sounding the strings. The sound of his playing is so soft as to be inaudible over the chatter of the inn. His handsome face is quiet and almost serene as he works his way through "The Lay of Catcheman."

Finally, Harold stops playing, lifts his head, and stands. His face is set in a faroff look as he dusts off the crumbs from his pants and makes his way to the bar once more, this time to reserve a room for the night.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

The innkeeper provides free rooms for you, as he explains Tieger has already taken care of it.

You manage to sleep well, despite not knowing what may come next, and awake early the next day. It's a warm day with broad, open skies. But, the heat wouldn't be excessive, as there would surely be a cool breeze from the harbor.

When ready to move on with the day, you go to meet with Wyatt, at the room designated. Upon knocking, you hear someone rummaging about, and soon the door creeks open. A short man with large, brown eyes gives you all a quick look, and invites you inside. "Alright, alright, come in. Close the door behind you."

With the door fully open, you watch as Wyatt turns away, hopping and scurrying over scattered piles of paperwork, bound by thin ribbons and rope. There are papers of all kinds pinned to the wall - some appear to be maps, others simply notes. "C'mon, now - don't just stand there, come inside!" He seats himself at a small desk, covered with numerous documents. There is a bed a couple of feet away from where he sits, but there are no chairs to take.

11. - Top - End - #221

Last of all inside is Len, haggard and shuffling drearily. Her face and neck glistens wetly from a hasty visit with a wash basin, and she has clawed most of the hay out of her hair. Somehow, her clothes are mostly clean, if damp and matted down.

Here and there, however, are overlooked rivulets of drying blood, all pointing toward her raw nose and mouth in a violent spray pattern. Gingerly clutching her stomach, she softly coughes away at the sickly bile in her burning throat.

She listens, shakey but alert. Her walk was not much fun.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold enters the cluttered room without much aplomb.
    By the brothers...I'll bet he rarely leaves this room at all...
    He murmurrs a polite greeting as he looks around, but, seeing no place to sit, merely rocks backwards and forwards on his heels, arms crossed.
    As Len staggers into the room, Harold starts.
    "Good lord, did you manage to get into another brawl on your way here? What happened?" he asks, concern visible on his face.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Fargrim made himself as comfortable as could be in the sty of a room. Mr. Betruger could negotiate with Wyatt. Fargrim's mind was in another place - imagining the street outside of Wyatt's room, himself making a demand too strong, too difficult for lesser folk. But Len was strong, a warrior. She could take it. She had to.

Unfortunately for Fargrim, he did not see as strong of a warrior as he wanted as Len entered the room.

After Harold expresses his worries, Fargrim makes it a chorus. "Yeah, you don't look so good." Real concern shows in Fargrim's eyes for just a moment, but he quickly pushes the feeling back, telling himself Her appearance can be explained. Don't stray from the plan. You can make her do it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too many, you say?

14. - Top - End - #224
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flare has immediately lost whatever interest in Wyatt that he had. "Len! Are you alright? What happened?" He steps towards her and holds out his hands indecisively, before reaching into his voluminous cloak and pulling out a waterskin that he offers to her.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

15. - Top - End - #225

Funny; this is the reaction she had always hoped for when she faked illness on harvest day as a girl, but now she feels like a bother.

Len groans as a wave of concern runs through her companions, and she immediately decides that she should have washed up more thoroughly. She gratefully agrees to a sip of water but the annoying, bitter sting in her throat doesn't subside.

"Drank too much." She fibs hoarsely, locking her arms around the nearest three heads in a clumsy group-hug.

"That's all. You guys are great, though." she gamely ruffles hair and hats all around before peering through the group at their forgotten host. The fact that she doesn't smell so great makes a change of subject all the more inviting.

"Mr. Wyatt! Good to meet you; what's the word?"

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Drank too much alcohol and got in a fight, eh? That's a strong-- Group hug. Fargrim's acute senses betray his hopes. ... Smells like anything but liquor. He pales a bit. Oh no...

"I... I can't..." he looks up, shocked that he thought out loud. He seals his lips and looks on.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too many, you say?

17. - Top - End - #227

Flare gulps as his rather tiny frame is squashed against Len. Finally he chuckles and pats her on the back before sliding away. "Do we need to cancel this meeting? Or do you feel that you can go on?"

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Wyatt gives Len a strange look as she stumbles in, and then glances to each other member of the party as he takes a moment to choose his words. With Len drawing the attention, Wyatt snaps at the group.

"Focus, people. This is important. Now, while we want to make sure you chums find well-paying work, we can't just throw anything at you, until you're ready. So, until Tieger and I are convinced the best way to do this is to start with small odd-jobs around the city, and then work our way up." He clears his throat. "I have contact with the constable's offices, and I hear there's some small-time work that should pay rather well: just outside the Merchant's Square is The Silver Arch, a theatre whose productions have come to a screetching halt because of a strange disturbance. This place has a history, and it's run by a fairly well-known man in the city - his name is Julian Gortana. Truth be told, the place isn't as prestigious as it used to be, but Mr. Gortana is desperate nonetheless, because it's just about all he owns, nowadays. Apparently, there has been a presence at the theatre causing mischief, and casting illusions upon the stage that scare off patrons. I think it's possible it may simply be a wizard of some kind - but his motives escape me." He shrugs. "They promised a grand reward, but they didn't say how much. Considering the owners and how dependent they are upon this being fixed, I'm sure it'll be fair enough pay."

He scratches his head. "Of course, we can look into other work for you, but that'll take time. And, we encourage you to look for other means of raising the money if you find what we provide unsuitable - but, I would suggest you take what we offer. We know this city very well." He goes through his papers, and pulls out an envelope. "Ah, yes, we had some letters of introduction forged - they're not much, but they might be able to help you along. Just don't flash them around too much - if someone becomes suspicious and notifies the city guard, you'll probably find yourselves in more trouble than you can handle. Though, I'd only worry about that if you intend to deal with city officials and the elites of the upper-class - most others probably won't think twice." He scratches his head again. "Oh, yeah, and here's a map of the city. It's a bit old, but it's not like any new districts have sprung up, or anything. Try to keep good care of it."

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't actually have a city map prepared - but if you guys like, I can make one. If you don't mind, then I'll simply reduce the time it takes for you folk to move around the city, and you'll significantly lose the chance of getting lost. Yes, I actually have rules set for that.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-07-31 at 01:34 AM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Despite his distracted state, Fargrim manages to pick up on most of Wyatt's speech. "A grand reward for taking care of a troublemaker illusionist, hm? Sounds like our kind of work." He looks towards Len.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too many, you say?

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    As Len releases her bear hug, Harold raises a hand to his neck, apparently massaging out a kink, his expression somewhat dazed. As Wyatt talks, Harold pulls a piece of paper from his pocket, glances down at it, and then tucks it away once more.
    When Wyatt finishes, Harold nods thoughtfully. "A mystery, eh? That's one of my specialties. Sounds like a good place to start, job-wise." Harold steeples his fingers and rests them on his lips, as a man praying.
    "Julian Gortana...Hm."
    Local Knowledge - (1d20+5)[22]

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Wyatt takes a moment to ponder to himself. He mutters a bit, and then slaps the back of his head. "Yeah, yeah, Mr. Tieger left licenses for you folks, too. And, a few choice pieces of weaponry, I might add. Fair quality stuff - should serve you well enough." He opens up a small closet, gathering things from inside. When he turns back to you, he holds a morningstar, a broadsword (equivalent of Longsword, mechanically), and a shortbow (and a small quiver of arrows). He nearly loses his grip of the weapons as he brings them back to his desk, and quickly heaves them on-top.

Taking a second to breathe, he looks through his papers some more, and pulls out several small pieces of paper. "Keep these in your purses, or wallets, or some kind of case. They'll warrant you folk to carry weapons like these - but anything larger won't quite do. There's large restrictions on heavy weapons, as those have been deemed only appropriate for the King's guard. Small, concealable weapons are limited, as well. Try not to get caught hiding away a dagger, or anything - that'll get you into serious trouble." He hands over the licenses, and then scratches his head. "Of course, I've got more equipment stored here, if you think you'll need it. I'll have to keep tabs of whatever extra gear you take, though - this stuff isn't cheap."
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-07-31 at 06:44 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold snaps his fingers. That's where he'd heard that name before.
    Turning his attention back to the matter at hand, Harold waves away the weapons.
    "No, thank you. If it comes down to violence, there's people here far more qualified than myself to provide it. I'm more interested in those letters that you've got for me." A thought strikes him. "Ah, and I could use some new clothes and a disguise kit, though. Those things can wait, however." Harold rubs the bridge of his nose and smiles a winning smile.
    "As for solving Mr. Gortana's problem, I'll count on my wit being sharper than my comrades' blades."

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Fargrim takes a gander at his new spiked bludgeon. A small sense of joy rushes through an otherwise troubled conscious as he realizes he is once again equipped to fight and kill for the Holy Father. "You have a plan already?" asks Fargrim, eyes still locked on the morningstar.
    Last edited by ByeLindgren; 2007-07-31 at 09:20 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too many, you say?

24. - Top - End - #234
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

At the mention of concealed weaponry, Ritan frowns. He seems to do a slow count on his fingers, stopping at 7. As Wyatt finishes answering the question, Ritan sits forward, putting his elbows on his knees. "He's right. We'll need better clothes than the ones we fought our way into trouble in. If we show up looking like this, our letters won't do us a bit of good," says Ritan.

"Do you have any clues on what is going on at the theatre? Wizardry isn't exactly my specialty," admits Ritan.
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Wyatt's eyes light up, as if he just remembered something. "Ah yes, clothes - Tieger thought you might need some." He approaches the closet once more, and pulls out a large chest. Inside, you spot some fairly clean clothes, neatly folded into squares. "Nothing fancy, but you'll at least look above street trash." He stops a moment, continuing to move his mouth but not actually saying anything. "I mean, not that you look it..." He scratches his head. "A disguise kit...uh...you mean what, a bag full of fake moustaches and makeup? Tieger would know more about that stuff than I - I'll ask him about getting one of those for you. In the mean time, you'll have to make due with this. I think that's everything...but then, I've got so much running on my mind, I can hardly remember all the details of anything..." He trails off for a moment, but comes back shortly. "Oh, um...yeah, so there are rumors of Wizardry, but it's not confirmed. That's just what I'd bet on. A truly malevolent spirit would only be there in case of a death, or something. Nobody's ever died in that theatre, to my knowledge. I'm thinking it might be someone hired by a rival theatre, or something." He laughs. "Maybe some fool thinks he'll make Gortana sell the theatre if he doesn't get anything out of it - I mean, The Silver Arch does have a history, probably would attract people if it had the right productions..." He snaps. "Damn! That's not a bad idea!"

26. - Top - End - #236

Flare's mouth flattens neutrally. "Well, I certainly wouldn't mind helping out at the theater, but what I'd really like to do is take the government down a few pegs. There are tax offices in this city, certainly? Can you gather logistics for us so we can rob one?"

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Faraham has blessed that man with some big... nerve. "Always the smart planner there, Flare. I'm sure everyone else is just as excited as you are to retry that jailbreak attempt, but just for my sake, let's try the safer job first."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Too many, you say?

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Wyatt pauses. He seems to disbelieve Flare's comment. "Rob...a tax office? That's a good one, kiddo!" He laughs. "What makes you think you could pull it off?" He cannot help but grin.

29. - Top - End - #239

Flare isn't deterred. "Because I'm a sorcerer, and my companions are even more talented. We'll do this theater job. Just get things ready for us for when we're done. We'll need guard schedules, a security rundown, an entry point, and so on. It won't be a problem at all with someone like you supporting us, will it?"

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Wyatt's grin fades. He seems baffled. "Magician or no, that's biting off a bit more than a lot can chew. You realize the government buildings are very well-warded...right? I mean, they make sure things are tight. It's not a simple job. Frankly, I don't think we have enough time to properly plan an operation of that magnitude. But, if you'd prefer I deter my efforts from what Tieger deems a more effective approach, and pool everything into a tax office op...yeah, maybe I could help you set it up. But to tell you the truth, I'd bet on you lot on getting caught. Professional thieves have tried jobs like that - and I don't recall the last time I heard any of them succeeding. But then, it's your decision, since it's your fate. Well, I guess it's Tieger's too, but I guess you wouldn't care about what happens to him, huh." He scratches his chin.