New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Unsounded II: Two Wrights Can Mend A Wrong

Everything dies Winalis. And I kinda agree with Timofey there*, dying in the sun sounds better than dying while hiding in the shadows.
    Besides, you don't die because your Body is ripped apart by magic. Or something along those lines...

I guess the "I didn't know he would do this" on the last page referred to Elan.

*Maybe with less enthusiasm. Definitely less flowery.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

On her tumblr, Ashley said that Ssaemalin means, "Little Light. Bastion’s nickname for Timofey." It sounded worse than that in my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    New comic.

It seems Bastion has a heart, even if small and unused.
    Yes he does and it's not unused, though. It's true that he's also incredibly self-centered and he has a lot of tunnel-vision, but he's trying to figure out the secret to immortality for everyone's benefit, not just his own. I don't think his reaction on this page is at all surprising. He's doing what I said he would do, after all, even though that wasn't intended to be a prediction for this page. (Well, technically, he was trying to find a way to rationalize that it wasn't his fault, but his guilt was driving him to do that.) The quote I'm referring to:
    Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    Bastion is going to assume that having Elan stay and help Sette move Duane across the border (or maybe doing something else that Bastion wanted) is what led to Elan being core leached, so Bastion is going to feel some guilt for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    I guess the "I didn't know he would do this" on the last page referred to Elan.
    I don't think so. He seemed to be talking about the general destruction and Elan didn't core-leach himself, so it wouldn't quite fit. I think it took a while for Bastion's thoughts about Elan to coalesce and he only started talking about Elan after talking about other things first.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-01-18 at 03:15 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

So that silver thing that he picks up... with all the sharp spike tips. Was that supposed to be helping Elan's heart? That looks painful.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

That's the device Delicieu used to keep his heart beating, yeah. I guess it'd be undamaged by the pymaric attack that smashed his chest in, since it's from a First Material.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    That's the device Delicieu used to keep his heart beating, yeah. I guess it'd be undamaged by the pymaric attack that smashed his chest in, since it's from a First Material.
    I think it could have been smashed by the ground, but it just wasn't. The rest of Elan was probably squishy enough to absorb the impact. I think that since the pymary was cast on the ground, it made it OK.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe it was. I'm not entirely clear on how it works.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Normal physics work on first materials - if you smash a lump of First Gold with a hammer, it'll deform just fine, you can dig First Soil with a regular shovel, etc.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralCheez View Post
    Was that supposed to be helping Elan's heart? That looks painful.
    Yes. It extracts something from living beings and channels into Elan. Probably heart movement.

As for it being crushed, wasn't he like stuck beneath a rock. Even pymary levitated rock can crush First material.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

As for it being crushed, wasn't he like stuck beneath a rock. Even pymary levitated rock can crush First material.
    It wasn't quite that indirect. Elan was hit by multiple spikes of earth coming out of the ground. It was probably a matter of expanding the ground in the direction of Elan. Come to think of it, Anadyne applied a "pointy piercing aspect" to the floor of the warehouse and it damaged Uaid's leg, which was first material.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-01-18 at 10:05 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    It wasn't quite that indirect. Elan was hit by multiple spikes of earth coming out of the ground.
    In the chest, iirc? That is enough to break it.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

In the chest, iirc? That is enough to break it.
    Maybe, but it would depend on how good of cushion Elan's body was. I'm not sure why you would think it was broken, assuming you do. (You seem to be trying to explain why it was crushed, so apparently so?.) Bastion threw it away, but he couldn't have taken it with him any more than he could take clothing with him, AFAIK.

None of us were assuming it was broken. It was just a hypothetical that it could have been damaged, but it didn't particularly look as if it had been. I think the general consensus was that yes, it was possible to damage first materials by applying pymary to something else that damages them.

I edited my previous post to add what Anadyne had done. Unfortunately, your reply appeared first.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-01-18 at 10:25 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, I guess then there is no need to argue.

Though I would think that Bastion would keep the first material. Guess it's a shameful memento.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I guess then there is no need to argue.

Though I would think that Bastion would keep the first material. Guess it's a shameful memento.
    He can't bring stuff with him when he teleports, except for the torc for whatever reason.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Fair point.

Also, new page. We visit Sonorie's place. It's pretty.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

New page.

I assume that guy is the villain.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

He looks more like a bureaucrat to me.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

So Bell's and Hetr's spin on what happened in Ethelmik is out. It was the Alds who attacked! Toma was killed while heroically defending the town.

Ethelmik is far away from the border with Alderode. That seems like it would be hard to swallow. Then again, the Alds reached the River Jarla, which flows past Ethelmik to the west, so it may not seem all that unlikely.

New page.

I assume that guy is the villain.
    IDK. He's being awfully obvious about it if he's loyal to Bell. He may just be a mouthpiece for those who think what Bell thinks so Sonorie can explain why she thinks what she thinks.

It's a little surprising that Sonorie hasn't done more against Bell or the Aldish invasion. He makes it clear that Sonorie isn't just surrounded by sycophants that are telling her that everything is OK. Apparently, she's just stubborn and convinced that she's right. Maybe she knows something that hasn't been revealed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    He looks more like a bureaucrat to me.
    Yes, but he was called "Lord Ufal" on the previous page, so he's apparently some sort of noble. He's apparently powerful enough that he can get away with criticizing Sonorie. On the current page, he said, "My speech is ready for your perusal." That seems to indicate that he intends to give the speech, but needs approval from Sonorie first, rather than just being her speechwriter. Perhaps he could be something like her spokesperson, but if so it would be odd that he has such a different viewpoint.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-01-24 at 10:25 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

A high-ranking bureaucrat is still a bureaucrat, but fair enough. What I meant is that he doesn't look directly antagonistic to me.

As far as the Aldish story goes... well, Alderode has unique access to flying beasts. Deep-strikes into the Crescian interior aren't entirely impossible, especially if they had someone on the inside. This might be just plausible enough for the public to swallow it, especially given Alderode's status as enemy number one. Crescians are taught Aldish are out for their blood, so it won't take much to convince them.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

My interpretation was that Hetr has just ascribed the actions of the Red Berry Boys to Aldish militants. Or mybe even that the RBBs were working on behalf of the Alds all along? Basically, that the Aldish attack was accidental, because their silver-weapon detonated prematurely, before it could be smuggled somewhere strategically significant. There was no actual Aldish invasion or real battle in the town, only the silver-weapon.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Marcelinari View Post
    My interpretation was that Hetr has just ascribed the actions of the Red Berry Boys to Aldish militants. Or mybe even that the RBBs were working on behalf of the Alds all along? Basically, that the Aldish attack was accidental, because their silver-weapon detonated prematurely, before it could be smuggled somewhere strategically significant. There was no actual Aldish invasion or real battle in the town, only the silver-weapon.
    Yes, it was the servant, not Hetr (nor Ufal), who said, "...the Alds attacked that poor town," and even there "Alds" could have meant just a couple of them. Hetr's report apparently said something different, anyway. The local miners were supposedly helping the Aldish smugglers, so the smugglers wouldn't have had any reason to attack the town. However, the device malfunctioned and detonated, leveling the town and killing the inhabitants, but without completely destroying itself or making Quigley's body unrecognizable or otherwise destroying too much evidence for Hetr to be able to piece together exactly what had happened.

But yes, I read too much into what the servant said and didn't notice that Hetr's report was different. One of the things that confused me was that there was already an inquiry into treason on the part of the miners. I interpreted that as meaning that the government was already aware of what was in Hetr's report, so I expected that what the servant said would be consistent with it. However, the inquiry could have been unrelated, or maybe Bell initially reported that there were reports of treason to explain why Hetr was turning back rather than marching to the capital. (Elka had apparently sent her first message from the constabulary office soon after she and Toma learned that local cops were corrupt.) Then people would have learned bits and pieces, including rumors as well as "preliminary information" from Bell, then finally Hetr's official report. So yeah, people could have already reached conclusions that were different than what Hetr's report said.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-01-26 at 05:49 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

The queen isn't particularly eager to blame it all on the Aldish, like Bell and others would like her to. And now we meet her Aldish husband. Duane's not the only Aldishman with an appreciation for flowery speech. Her subjects aren't terribly please with him, either.
    Last edited by Morty; 2017-01-27 at 06:25 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

It sure looks like the Queen is the only person in the palace who actually likes Roger. Just why did she marry him?

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Poor Lord Ufal...

And is that a flower pattern on the dog?
    Interesting. I wonder if it is natural.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

And is that a flower pattern on the dog?
    Interesting. I wonder if it is natural.
    It's completely pymaric. She said somewhere... Can't find source.

Plus note that only mother with collar is floral patterned.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It's completely pymaric. She said somewhere... Can't find source.

Plus note that only mother with collar is floral patterned.
    Well, the fur colour/pattern could change as they grow up, but I guess some „unnatural” effect is more likely.
    My first thought was tattoo, but I guess a pymaric would be easier. And less painful. For the guy who had to apply it I mean. Although Flora would prefer magic too I would wager.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the fur colour/pattern could change as they grow up, but I guess some „unnatural” effect is more likely.
    My first thought was tattoo, but I guess a pymaric would be easier. And less painful. For the guy who had to apply it I mean. Although Flora would prefer magic too I would wager.
    Here is the link.

http://unsoundedcomic.tumblr.com/pos...lored-im#notes

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ah, yes. Makes sense.
    Kinda a shame through. Riding dogs being specifically bred with a floral (or any other) pattern would be kinda cool.
    Well, cooler. We are talking about riding dogs after all. I'm actually more of a cat-person, but riding cats seem to like a terrible idea. Like cloning dinosaurs.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ah, yes. Makes sense.
    Kinda a shame through. Riding dogs being specifically bred with a floral (or any other) pattern would be kinda cool.
    Well, cooler. We are talking about riding dogs after all. I'm actually more of a cat-person, but riding cats seem to like a terrible idea. Like cloning dinosaurs.
    Yes, everyone knows that you clone cats and ride dinosaurs.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

After 3 years we finally get a title drop. And even in context I still can't figure out what it means. :P

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!