New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [MtG] GitP Regulars as Magic the Gathering Cards

Kind of? I think there are some sets where, say, tribal colors aren't entirely even. In Innistrad, for instance, vampires were red black, humams were mainly white, but had some crossover with werewolves in green and some blue and at least one black, skaabs were blue black, werewolves were green red. Its only slightly asymmetric, and its humans, which so often span all colors. Lorwyn is also worth examining for the tribes, with mostly white kithkin, five colored elementals and changelings (former as all, later as fitting anywhere), green black elves, red black goblins, and blue white merfolk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertier View Post
    A good background is like a skirt. Short enough to keep my interest, but long enough to cover the important bits.
    Quote Originally Posted by FistsFullofDice View Post
    Derailed in the best way, thank you good sir.
    Spoiler: Homebrew Links
    Show

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jallorn View Post
    Kind of? I think there are some sets where, say, tribal colors aren't entirely even. In Innistrad, for instance, vampires were red black, humams were mainly white, but had some crossover with werewolves in green and some blue and at least one black, skaabs were blue black, werewolves were green red. Its only slightly asymmetric, and its humans, which so often span all colors. Lorwyn is also worth examining for the tribes, with mostly white kithkin, five colored elementals and changelings (former as all, later as fitting anywhere), green black elves, red black goblins, and blue white merfolk.
    Cool. I'll start reading up a bit. I find it interesting that a CCG has so much lore behind it, and how much the designers try to match up the mechanics. Gives it an interesting feel.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Cool. I'll start reading up a bit. I find it interesting that a CCG has so much lore behind it, and how much the designers try to match up the mechanics. Gives it an interesting feel.
    The Alara block is all about that. It was 5 shards of a shattered plane, each one had an abundance of one color but had none of its two opposing colors. Bant had a surplus of white but no black or red. The place turned into a world where destruction and chaos were unheard of and honor ruled. Another, called Grixis, was a world where black was the dominant color and there was no white or green. Necromancers and demons ran amuck, consuming the only resources remaining as, without white or green, the plane slowly decayed.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    The Alara block is all about that. It was 5 shards of a shattered plane, each one had an abundance of one color but had none of its two opposing colors. Bant had a surplus of white but no black or red. The place turned into a world where destruction and chaos were unheard of and honor ruled. Another, called Grixis, was a world where black was the dominant color and there was no white or green. Necromancers and demons ran amuck, consuming the only resources remaining as, without white or green, the plane slowly decayed.
    That's the one and only set I'm familiar with. It's not what I'm looking for. Alara, the plane, has all five colors and five completely symmetrical factions. The Alara block has all five colors and five completely symmetrical factions. When Alara was broken, each shard was different, but the players only arrive at the plane once they begin to converge again and conflict begins between the five shards of the single plane.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

That's the one and only set I'm familiar with. It's not what I'm looking for. Alara, the plane, has all five colors and five completely symmetrical factions. The Alara block has all five colors and five completely symmetrical factions. When Alara was broken, each shard was different, but the players only arrive at the plane once they begin to converge again and conflict begins between the five shards of the single plane.
    I think it comes down to not all players liking to play all the colors. If you don't like playing Blue, then the Plane of Blue is going to be a block you're going to skip. Wizards of the Coast makes their money off you buying their cards, so having a block that a portion of their fanbase is going to skip... it's not a good idea on their part.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I think it comes down to not all players liking to play all the colors. If you don't like playing Blue, then the Plane of Blue is going to be a block you're going to skip. Wizards of the Coast makes their money off you buying their cards, so having a block that a portion of their fanbase is going to skip... it's not a good idea on their part.
    Itd be an interesting idea for a Set, and then each Set in the block does this with a different color. It would certainly be weird, but cool all the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

7. - Top - End - #367
    Firbolg in the Playground

The colors have to be mechanically balanced in each set, but there are ways to do that without symmetrical factions. Not every set has symmetrical factions (or even clearly defined factions at all).

There's Theros block. The gods of Theros were distributed symmetrically, but they didn't really have full factions around them. The closest Theros had to factions were the three human city-states, which were all part white (white/red Akros, white/green Setessa, white/blue Meletis), with everything else being monsters and agents of the gods.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

8. - Top - End - #368

BardGuy

I hesitate to mention this, but there was Homelands. It had a primarily black group fighting a primarily green group. The other colors weren't represented.

I would recommend avoiding Homelands. It was extremely underwhelming and the story kinda stunk.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Banned

Default Re: [MtG] GitP Regulars as Magic the Gathering Car

Replenishing Blade 6
    Artifact - U
    Whenever a player puts a card from their library into their graveyard, you gain 1 life.
    T: If you both own and control Replenishing Blade and a permanent called Depletion Shield, exile them and meld them into A Mech, Ra
    //
    A Mech, Ra (C)
    Artifact Creature - U
    Whenever A Mech, Ra, deals combat damage to an opponent, that opponent puts the top half of their library into their graveyard.
    Whenever you or a permanent you control takes damage from a source you don't control, that source's controller puts that many cards from the top of their library into the graveyard.
    Probably almost as cool as the god.
    4/6

Blessing of the Warrior 2R
    Enchantment - Aura C
    Enchant Player
    Creatures enchanted player controls get +1/+0.
    Whenever you both own and control Blessing of the Warrior and a permanent called Curse of the Martyr, exile them both, then meld them into Honour of the Paladin.
    //
    Honour of the Paladin (WR)
    Enchantment C
    Creatures you control get +1/+1 and have lifelink.
    The time for bleeding is over. We shall be healed, and you shall be the ones who bleed.

Hell's Hammer 7
    Artifact - Equipment MR
    Equip - Sacrifice 7 permanents
    Equipped creature has Annihilator 7.
    T: If Hell's Hammer is equipped to a creature called Stained Glass Demon and you own and control both permanents, exile them both, then meld them into Shattered Plans.
    //
    Shattered Plans (C)
    Enchantment MR
    At the start of each player's upkeep, return each permanent card from exile to the battlefield under your control, and each non-permanent card you own to your hand.
    Sometimes, you just gotta start over.

Knight of Restoration 3WW
    Creature - Human Soldier R
    You can't sacrifice lands.
    T: If you both own and control Knight of Restoration and a permanent called Lavaflow Dragon, exile them and meld them into Dragonlord Draconium
    3/3
    //
    Dragonlord Draconium (WR)
    Creature - Human Dragon Knight R
    Flying
    At the beginning of your upkeep, each opponent sacrifices a land.
    8/8

Burning Bargain 1R
    Enchantment R
    When Burning Bargain enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to each creature your opponents control and each opponent.
    At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 2 life. Then, if you both own and control Burning Bargain and a permanent called Fel Bargain, exile them and meld them into Blank Slate.
    //
    Blank Slate (C)
    Artifact R
    T: Exile Blank Slate, then return it to the battlefield under your control (It returns as its constituent cards)
    See, that wasn't so bad! Now, let's write up another deal...

Cobalt Spectre U
    Creature - Spirit U
    Skulk.
    T: If you both own and control Cobalt Spectre and a permanent called Azure Soul, exile them, then meld them into Blue Ghost.
    1/1
    //
    Blue Ghost (W/U)
    Creature - Spirit Wizard U
    Creatures you control have protection from black.
    T: Untap each creature you control that isn't called "Blue Ghost".
    2/3

City of Return
    Legendary Land - City MR
    (T: Add P to your mana pool)
    T: If you both own and control City of Return and a permanent called Wasted Purple Land, exile them both and meld them into Portal of the Wastes
    //
    Portal of the Wastes
    Legendary Land MR
    T: Add PP to your mana pool.
    C: Add P to your mana pool.
    P: Add C to your mana pool.

(Done up to post 137)

If you're wondering why I haven't made a meld for your card, it could be that your card isn't complete (for example, it's a creature without P/T or without a cost), that it forces me to break rules (If your card is a legendary common, then it pretty much forces me to make a legendary common too), or that I just couldn't think of anything good to add.

10. - Top - End - #370

Can I be a MtG card?
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Imagine how many problems you can solve, how many ways you can help your friends, when not constrained by paltry morality! Imagine how much good you can achieve when you're willing to go to any length to achieve it! Imagine the monsters you can slay when you are the greatest monster of them all!
    Company Website: http://lernaeanstudio.com
    PF 3pp Subreddit I Mod: r/Pathfinder3pp

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Ooh, a lot of attention from Jormengand! Let's have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Hell's Hammer 7
    Artifact - Equipment MR
    Equip - Sacrifice 7 permanents
    Equipped creature has Annihilator 7.
    T: If Hell's Hammer is equipped to a creature called Stained Glass Demon and you own and control both permanents, exile them both, then meld them into Shattered Plans.
    Okay, I had to look this mechanic up, but... Holy crap. Holy honking crap. Whenever this creature attacks, defending player sacrifices N permanents. And that number is 7?!

I did a quick search, and of the handful of creatures that have Annihilator, the highest one has Annihilator 6, costs 15, and is a 15/15 Legendary Eldrazi with a boatload of abilities. Admittedly, having a sacrifice 7 permanents casting cost is a pretty big price tag, but still. This is kind of a big deal, and I love it.

Moving on.

Shattered Plans (C)
    Enchantment MR
    At the start of each player's upkeep, return each permanent card from exile to the battlefield under your control, and each non-permanent card you own to your hand.
    Sometimes, you just gotta start over.
    Okay. So, quick recap, Stained Glass Demon is a 4UB 5/5 Demon with Flying, and when it comes into play, you exile all permanents and replace them with identical tokens. Hell's Hammer gives a creature Annihilator 7, meaning that when it attacks, the defender sacrifices 7 permanents.

The combination of the two does neither, which is really interesting. Steal every exiled permanent and take control of it, recycle non-permanents to your hand. It's clever and dangerous, and while it doesn't quite have the same "holy crap" factor as the Hammer, it does kind of make you a dangerous recycling machine.

Requires some strategy to use, but potentially devastating.

Burning Bargain 1R
    Enchantment R
    When Burning Bargain enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to each creature your opponents control and each opponent.
    At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 2 life. Then, if you both own and control Burning Bargain and a permanent called Fel Bargain, exile them and meld them into Blank Slate.
    This is so interesting. For reference, Fel Bargain lets you search your deck for a card, then costs you 2 life thereafter. Great for a cheap way to grab the card you want, but costly in the long run. This one, similarly, is a potshot at the enemy and creatures - perfect against a critter deck - but costs you 2 life thereafter.

Both cards get a cheap, moderately useful effect right now, at the cost of a long-term recurring penalty unless you can get rid of them.

Blank Slate (C)
    Artifact R
    T: Exile Blank Slate, then return it to the battlefield under your control (It returns as its constituent cards)
    See, that wasn't so bad! Now, let's write up another deal...
    Basically, this offsets the recurring cost of its constituent cards by letting you enjoy their benefit over and over. While losing 4 life per round still hurts, you can offset it with the card of your choice from your deck and a quick potshot at all enemies and enemy creatures. It basically puts a time limit on the game, but it's potentially devastating if you need certain cards to win, or against a critter deck. Clever!
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

If you're wondering why I haven't made a meld for your card, it could be that your card isn't complete (for example, it's a creature without P/T or without a cost), that it forces me to break rules (If your card is a legendary common, then it pretty much forces me to make a legendary common too), or that I just couldn't think of anything good to add.
    In my defense, running Magic Set Editor on Wine causes... problems. One of them (as far as I can tell) is that you can't change the Rarity on the cards.
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

So, MTGO EMN prerelease drafts. Pack 1, opened a Tamiyo, pack 3, a difficult choice pick 1. Opened both Tireless Tracker and Duskwatch Recruiter. Not able to tell if I made the right pick, haven't played the deck, opponent in the first round disconnected before deciding how to mulligan. Waiting on round 2 right now. Will keep you posted.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: updated cards for blackhawk and Illven
    Show

This is a strange idea i came up with while thinking about the IZ clones.

and this is for LP:

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

15. - Top - End - #375

paladins are so cool...

So I just realized how many different synonyms of "Blue" and "Ghost" there are. Explains why every so many made for him so far has used different pairs of words.

Actually, lots of the cards here are pretty cool. Or, at the very least, interesting.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

16. - Top - End - #376

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    paladins are so cool...

So I just realized how many different synonyms of "Blue" and "Ghost" there are. Explains why every so many made for him so far has used different pairs of words.

Actually, lots of the cards here are pretty cool. Or, at the very least, interesting.
    How many synonyms of "Mahonri" are there?

Made a card for LordofCain.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

17. - Top - End - #377

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    and this is for LP:

This is awesome! Thanks, Neo. I'd actually use this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    paladins are so cool...
    We do our best.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordOfCain View Post
    Can I be a MtG card?
    Blue Ghost did one for your one feat so I'll do one for the other.

Lord of Cain - 2WG
    Creature - Human Soldier - R
    Whenever Lord of Cain attacks or blocks, put a +1/+1 counter on each other attacking or blocking creature you control.
    2/3
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ettin in the Playground

I would be honored if someone made me into a M:tG card.

As for making a card of someone:

Red Fel. Exemplar of Balance 2WB
    Planeswalker- Fel (mythic)
    +1: Up to one target creature gains lifelink and deathtouch until end of turn.
    -2: Return target creature from a graveyard to the battlefield. It gains haste. Exile it at end of turn or if it leaves the battlefield.
    -7: You get an emblem with "Whenever a creature you control attacks, you gain 1 life" and "Whenever a creature attacks you or a planeswalker you control, its controller loses 1 life."
    Starting Loyalty: 4

Spoiler: Render
    Show

Because, yeah, Fel's evil, but there are rules on how good and evil interact, and dang it, someone's gotta keep everyone in line.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2016-08-05 at 02:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

As for making a card of someone:

Red Fel. Exemplar of Balance 2WB
    Planeswalker- Fel (mythic)
    +1: Up to one target creature gains lifelink and deathtouch until end of turn.
    -2: Return target creature from a graveyard to the battlefield. It gains haste. Exile it at end of turn or if it leaves the battlefield.
    -7: You get an emblem with "Whenever a creature you control attacks, you gain 1 life" and "Whenever a creature attacks you or a planeswalker you control, its controller loses 1 life."
    Starting Loyalty: 4

Spoiler: Render
    Show

Because, yeah, Fel's evil, but there are rules on how good and evil interact, and dang it, someone's gotta keep everyone in line.
    You know, I have no idea how balanced this is as a Planeswalker card, because those came out well after I'd stopped playing and collecting, but I love the crap out of it. The +1 turns anything into a murdervampire, the -2 teaches people the meaning of regret, and the -7 is the absolute definition of "Heads, I win, tails, you lose." It's just so me all around.

The fact that it's a WB card is just glorious icing. Glorious.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

Digima, the Abandoned - UG
    Legendary Creature - Human Druid - R
    Lands you control have "T, Sacrifice this land: Draw a card, then discard a card."
    2/3
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

Damn it. I just thought about a couple different blocks you could do with asymmetry:

1) The first set has WBG vs. UR, and the second has WUR vs. BG. The idea is that in the first set it's the Empire (WBG) vs. the rebels (UR) - in the second set, you've got a switcharoo. White is always on the side of empire, since White cares about the trains running on time.

2) As a more generalized structure for a two-set block, you have Color + Allies vs. Enemies in the first set, and Color + Enemies vs. Allies in the next.

3) I could also see a set with three-color factions centering around one color and its enemies. So you'd have, say, WUB vs. RBG vs. WRG. Follow up with each of the enemy colors losing the "redundant" color (so our example would become WUB vs. RB vs. WG).

You'd have to keep all 5 colors (because otherwise the game's balance is shot to hell), but you could do unbalanced sets.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Hi guys. How is this going?
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

Damn it. I just thought about a couple different blocks you could do with asymmetry:

1) The first set has WBG vs. UR, and the second has WUR vs. BG. The idea is that in the first set it's the Empire (WBG) vs. the rebels (UR) - in the second set, you've got a switcharoo. White is always on the side of empire, since White cares about the trains running on time.
    Spoiler
    Show

edit:

Spoiler
    Show

edit2:

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Xefas; 2016-08-07 at 03:39 AM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

2) As a more generalized structure for a two-set block, you have Color + Allies vs. Enemies in the first set, and Color + Enemies vs. Allies in the next.

3) I could also see a set with three-color factions centering around one color and its enemies. So you'd have, say, WUB vs. RBG vs. WRG. Follow up with each of the enemy colors losing the "redundant" color (so our example would become WUB vs. RB vs. WG).

You'd have to keep all 5 colors (because otherwise the game's balance is shot to hell), but you could do unbalanced sets.
    ammm amercha would you mind pop into blackhawk block treat we have some questions about machanics you just used

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    You know, I have no idea how balanced this is as a Planeswalker card, because those came out well after I'd stopped playing and collecting, but I love the crap out of it. The +1 turns anything into a murdervampire, the -2 teaches people the meaning of regret, and the -7 is the absolute definition of "Heads, I win, tails, you lose." It's just so me all around.

The fact that it's a WB card is just glorious icing. Glorious.
    I hoped you would!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Digima, the Abandoned - UG
    Legendary Creature - Human Druid - R
    Lands you control have "T, Sacrifice this land: Draw a card, then discard a card."
    2/3
    Wow, neat card. While personally see myself as UR, this is an interesting card that would have to built around, but otherwise is neat and cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.