New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,487 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Psionic Anti-Crime Squad: Mind Over Manner [IC]

Ian wasn't terribly disappointed in not having weapons during this mission. He'd had his fill of blood at the Arena and wasn't terribly keen on repeating his experience there.
    As they are led into the mess hall, Ian was a bit disappointed with the furnishings and looked for any possible exits besides the one they had come through. His curiosity probably didn't seem particularly strange as he had opted to look the part of an annoyed private instructor.
    "A more comfortable environment indeed," he scoffed to no one in particular, "more like an excuse to shirk his studies. Ah well, let the fool have his fun. I get paid by the day whether he studies or not."
    The next order of business was to see who was possibly on the Viscount's list of recruits. To that end he went about making small talk, asking why they were at the establishment while holding to his story that he insisted he accompany his charge (whoever was accompanying Ironfist) in order to instruct him outside of the classroom.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+7)[16]
    Gather Information (Not going to try for the 'exotic' folks Ian is going to leave that to the others who are more likely to fit in):
    (1d20+5)[15]

P.S. I know it's a bad cover, Bluff of +1 doesn't lend itself to good covers. :P
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Ettin in the Playground

Leolin looks excited at the chance for another social mission, but deflates a bit as she considers her options. "I'd go as the date, but I think everyone figured out Li Lin after last time. I'll probably have better luck playing... huh, who else do nobles bring along to these things, anyway? A driver?"

She looks the shy Moira up and down and gets a mischievous look. "YOU, on the other hand... Rhon, do you think we'll have time for a trip to Madame Mumford's? We might be able to get a version of my last costume in your size."

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Before the mission

If Lucky can convince the City watch to foot the bill, he visits Lady Sophia DuGalle's shop for his outfit for the mission. He uses this opportunity to apologize to her for his abrupt leave during the ball, but explains (without going into too much detail) that he was responsible for the safety of Duchess Glaucia. He spends some time in her shop chatting, and asks her to pick an outfit that would be equally easy to move in as the one he picked for the ball at Madame Mumford's if possible. He also asks if he can treat her a dinner later this week to make up for the unexplained leave.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy if needed: (1d20+16)[22]

If Lucky goes to the main lounge

After handing his dress sword to the cloakroom with a reluctant sigh, "Sir Gluecklich" accompanies Sir Eamor to the main lounge. Lucky is impressed by the tasteful decoration of the club, and the comforting smell of tobacco and alcohol puts him in the proper mood. He turns to Sir Eamor and smiles. "This place is as exquisite as you described, my friend. I cannot wait to taste what the establishment has to offer. Let me buy the first round." If Sir Eamor agrees, Lucky orders a glass of brandy, and pays for whatever Sir Eamor and Andrei order as well.

If Lucky goes to the mess hall

Lucky enters the mess hall with an air of confidence. If anyone asks, he introduces himself as a fencing instructor. He tries to observe and understand who is who without talking much. He also tries to get himself some stout if the visitors are allowed to drink.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Titan in the Playground

Before

Anton intercepts Leolin's train of thought. "Sorry, the 'plus one' wasn't maybe the best metaphor. It's more of a 'guest of an existing patron', and the old-fashioned scums don't accept women into the main lounge, as I mentioned before."

Rhon responds nonetheless to Leolin's trailing off.

"Well, there are all kinds of servants, from drivers to maids to horse grooms to bodyguards..."

Lucky, Before

Lucky can quickly learn that the Watch would only cover this one if they keep the cost low enough -- nothing too fancy -- so he can indeed find an excuse to visit Sophia's boutique and make his advances. She is admittedly surprised by Lucky turning out to be a super fancy secret agent, and in shock, agrees to have dinner with him sometime this week.

Mess Hall

As Ian looks around the mess hall, he can see various groups of servants hanging around the place. The majority seems to be commonfolk: manservants, drivers and such. But two groups of mercenaries seem to have created their own bubbles if simply through being louder and more boisterous than most: one group near the wall seems to have propped up some kind of wooden plank to serve as a dart target and are competing against each other. Another, more obvious group sits right in the middle table, drinking ale and loudly regaling everyone with their stories. The more "blue-collar" looking servants mostly keep to their drinks and foods, but a couple of groups apparently are playing dice, squandering their wages.

Main Lounge

Assuming Lucky accompanies Ironfist to the main lounge, he stops Lucky's advance with an apologetic whisper.

"Drinks here can be a bit too steep. Let me cover this instead." Lucky can choose to not relent at his own risk.

However is the brandy acquired, Lucky can attest to its quality as he sips from the drink that the professional looking bartender pours. If he takes a glance to his surroundings, he can notice at least three tables playing some sort of different card games, possibly with not very low stakes. A couple of middle aged noblemen seem to converse with hushed-but-not-comically-so voices a couple paces from Lucky at the end of the bar, and a singular fellow sits near the fireplace near one end of the lounge in a comfortable looking chair, reading a book. Muffled voices in the air hint that there are probably some people in the curtained-off private sections to both sides of the room.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2018-06-13 at 10:32 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Dwarf in the Playground

Before

Moira stiffens at Leolin's suggestion, and then relaxes when it becomes clear that it's not even an option. She shoots Anton a grateful look. Having to attend in the servant's chambers doesn't seem so bad now.

Mess Hall

Moira takes stock of the room, and then makes a beeline for the dart game. Maybe she'll learn something from the other players, maybe not. It's not like she'll be much good for information gathering anyway, and at least that looks familiar. Darts can't be that different from arrows, right?
    Last edited by luckless; 2018-06-14 at 12:17 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Ogre in the Playground

Ian decided it would better suit his purposes, for the time being, if he tried to associate himself with those playing dice. Perhaps 'Lady Luck' would favor the man who gave the right information.
    "Good evening gentlemen. Room for one more?"
    With that, he took to manipulating the game with his Talent where he could do so without arousing suspicion. He made sure to keep the game even unless someone sounded like they had some information he wanted. However, he started with the basics.
    "What brings each of you here? My idiotic pupil decided it was better to move his private lessons to a more 'relaxed environment.'"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Using Far Hand and Control Object to manipulate the dice.
    Take 10 for Concentration to manifest without a display.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Ettin in the Playground

Before:

"Huh, right, so... if you want to hang around outside, Moira, you can go as our driver-slash-groomer and manage the stables. People might leave notes in their own carriages, so you could even get some good snooping in."

Leolin pauses to consider her own options. "Meanwhile... I could go as Showstealer again. Different clothes and a new name, but if I set my hair and build the same way, we might trip over anyone else who happened to be at the fights."

She looks at Lucky and Ian. "So, I'd say Lucky is going in as the guest... Ian, you're going as a tutor of some kind? I'll take the bodyguard angle, then."

During:

Leolin's alter-ego does her best impression of a collected and professional bodyguard. She silently sees in her tall, handsome charges, then goes to assess the mess hall. She sits down next to the hard-drinking crowd and listens in on their stories for a bit, trying to catch who's working for whom before she inevitably switches to social butterfly mode.

8. - Top - End - #1478

MindFlayer

Before:
    Andrei notices Leolin seems to have opinions on outfits, and asks for her advice in getting himself prepared. He doesn't really own anything suitable, but he tried to at least make himself presentable, and maybe purchases a few articles of clothing if there is time.

After:
    Andrei scans the room, looking to see if anyone is looking at him, or if he recognizes anyone from the fights. If nothing of note is happening, Andrei will have a drink of whatever Ironfist orders, and asks him about the patrons in the room.

9. - Top - End - #1479

Planetar

Lucky thanks Ironfist for the drink, and takes a small sip. He looks around in the lounge, trying to figure out how to approach the problem. He whispers to Ironfist: "I would like to talk with some acquaintances of the Viscount to learn more about him. I will introduce myself as someone whose family is looking to buy some lumber, in which case it is natural to try to learn more about a future business partner. Do you think you could introduce me to some people who would know about him?"

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Titan in the Playground

Moira

As she nears the dart-players, Moira notices Bullwhip as she remembers from the briefing -- one of the Viscount's bodyguards and a notorious Talented. She tries to concentrate before making her throw, while another mercenary looking fellow leans really close to the target with a smug face, almost daring her to hit him. The smug looking fellow notices Moira.

"Oho, we have a newcomer? You have to wait your turn, this match is just about to be over."

Ian

The dice players examine Ian for a bit, but then make room for him to sit and join as well. Ian notices from their garments that these folk are probably at around middle-to-low level even in the servants hierarchy.

"Our lords bring us here, that's what," he answers, and the table half-laughs half-grumbles emphatically.

"Private lessons? You're a Father? I didn't know Fathers gambled."

Ian can try fudging the dice, but he realizes that mimicking the realistic movements of the dice could be a tricky business. It's not totally out of his abilities, though.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If he wants to try, he needs a caster level check + Int mod. Or, he could use Bluff or another similar skill that makes sense with a +4 tool bonus.

Leo

Leolin can use a joint laughter to casually slide to the boisterous group in the middle. The first person she notices is an exotic looking woman with braided hair and one arm noticeably (abnormally, even) thicker and more muscled than the other one. Probably a Talented? There are also two more mercenaries -- one young and serious, the other middle aged and laid back -- and one young but fit looking worker type of fellow at the table.

From the weird armed woman's stories, she sounds like she either works regularly or has worked a couple of times with Bullwhip, who is the other mercenary woman playing darts in the distance. The second guy sounds more like a "mundane" mercenary, though he seems to have seen his fair share of battles.

Andrei and Lucky

Andrei can use the one day to shop for some presentable garments on the Watch's budget. It's impossible for him to sport a form-fitting jacket like his friend Lucky, but with Leolin's help, they turn a simple tunic, a nice cloak, and a few accessories into a passable apparel.

As they enter the lounge, Andrei's hulking figure draws some interested looks from the noblemen, and a (young) couple of them raise their glasses to greet him cheerily.

Ironfist looks around for a bit, and then whispers back to Lucky in a forcefully casual way.

"That's him over there, playing... Kingmaker, I guess? I don't know him or his buddies, but be careful. These political types know their contemporaries very well, and they'll be more serious here than they were in a merry event like the masquerade. If you're to craft a persona, I'd say... make it, uh, as minor as possible?

"There's an empty seat at their table, but if you want to play it safer, I can introduce you to the guys in the second table. I actually know them."

If Lucky looks towards where Ironfist points, he sees a trio of noblemen alternating between their conversation and their (very serious) card game. Viscount de Renlon looks like a man in his forties, with a well-kempt beard and an amused visage. Everything from his stance to his clothes reeks of old money. The second noble seems a bit younger, but has a more serious expression. He watches the other two over his downed cards and mumbles a few words. The third noble is a portly man with a flustered face, who seems to have just played his turn and now busy sipping his drink.

The second table that he points has another three, but noticeably younger noblemen playing some other card game, and with much more mirth than the first one. They are also the ones that greeted Andrei merrily, even though they probably don't know him.

11. - Top - End - #1481

MindFlayer

Andrei takes his drink and waltzs over to the young men who greeted him, clapping one on the shoulder. "How is your evening going, my new friends?" He smiles broadly, and takes a rather large drink of whatever he ended up with. He sighs, "Whatever this is, it's delicious..." He tips the rest of it into his mouth, and looks at his compatriots. Assuming they seem amenable to his presence he asks them "Who's buying the next round?" with a wink.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If needed, diplomacy. Take 10 for 23.
    Andrei is assuming these are young rich guys with too much time on their hands and not much of interest in their lives. He's hoping he can provide some entertainment just by showing up, and maybe get some interesting information. If not, some free drinks would suffice. :p
    Last edited by BtanH; 2018-06-18 at 10:38 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1482

Planetar

Lucky nods in a casual way. "The second table, please. I would like to learn as much as I can from a more friendly group first. If you know them, that's perfect."

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Ettin in the Playground

Leolin joins in by grinning widely at one of their jokes, asking where they got their drinks, grabbing one and returning.

"So! I've got a question for you. What's the dumbest thing your boss has ever made you do?"

By the time she's gotten to this point, she already has one prepared: she used to work up North, and her old boss had her follow his idiot daughter to a brothel to make sure the boys don't try to do something obscene her. At least, nothing obscene that she didn't specifically request.

"...so I said, 'No, I'm just going to wait by the door and listen.'"

As her character recalls more frustrating details, the story becomes more real to her and she gets even more into it. ...which actually might not be the best choice of words, either.

"This place was considered upscale because they always made sure they had protection. They also had their own bodyguards."

At the climax of the story (*winces*) Sam and an on-staff bouncer were listening to extremely awkward sex, each there to make sure one of the participants wasn't horrifically murdering the other. As stories go, it doesn't really have much of a payoff at the end. (Man, now that I'm looking for them it's like they're everywhere.)

"...my name is Sam, by the way."

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Dwarf in the Playground

Moira makes a noncommittal sound of recognition in response to the man, focus mostly on Bullwhip as she readies her dart. "Who's her opponent? You?" Moira gives the man a once over, taking in his grin and disregard for his own safety, seemingly purely for the sake of being obnoxious, and decides he was probably dropped on his head one too many times as a child. She looks back at Bullwhip. "I hope she wins."

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Titan in the Playground

Andrei and Lucky

Andrei's shoulder clap surprises the young fellow and makes him spill some of his drink, but the others only laugh this off. The more serious looking man from the first table leans to throw a disapproving look at all the clamor emanating from the adjacent table.

As he makes his move, Ironfist and Lucky also approach to make the table a full six people. With the lack of any prior preparation, Ironfist introduces Lucky as Sir Glueklich, an unlanded knight from a minor family.

The trio greet Andrei and Sir Glueklich, and introduce themselves as Sirs Lothford, Erno, and Osberth. Lucky faintly remembers Sir Osberth's voice from somewhere else, but can't quite make it.

Sir Vayne quickly takes Andrei up by the offer and orders another glass of brandy for him. While they focus on Andrei, Lucky can see that the trio was playing something similar to blackjack with some extra rules.

"It goes perfect my bemuscled friend. Care to join us for a hand?"

Leo

Leolin's lewd story finds its perfect audience in the mostly mercenary-worker crowd, and the abrupt ending makes a lot people laugh in half-empathy half-surprise.

"Now, this girl can tell a story!" exclaims the thick armed woman, and even the more grizzled mercenary can't help but nod his head. One of the servants listening from near the kitchen comes along and tops her glass. The young worker seems to be encouraged by this rather good storytelling, and tries to take the next word.

He starts telling what apparently happened to a friend of his friend, and how he personally survived a beast attack in right in the middle of Steadwick just a month ago. A lot of it seems to have been lost in translation, but apparently some kind of exotic animal got loose in the old Smoldering Boar Inn -- some kind of grizzly bear or mountain lion or something, and how it started mauling people before they called in a crack team of city guards which killed the beast.

"Why didn't they just shoot it?" asks one wiseguy.

"If it's a grizzly, if you don't hit it right in the skull, you'll just make it angrier. And even then it's a toss at best," comments one outdoorsman from a nearby table.

Moira

Bullwhip grumbles frustratedly but doesn't move her gaze. "I will win if everybody would just..."

Which only manages to entice the man more. "You reaaaally need to focus if you want. To make. This shot."

She takes the shot at last, but the knife doesn't strike true, instead only managing to hit the third circle just next to the smug man's face. He flinches, but then sees the result and barks a victorious laugh. Bullwhip stomps the ground, almost popping a vein.

"Gods. Effin. Damn it! Augh!"

She suddenly holds her head after her outburst, as if something had just jabbed her in the brain. She closes her eyes in pain for a few seconds, and slowly recollects herself. But even the smug darter seems to give her a breather before coming in to collect.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2018-06-21 at 10:37 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Ogre in the Playground

Ian laughed at the remark.
    "That I don't, but it's not for lack of trying. It just seems that whenever I try to tempt Lady Luck, she gives me a good slap to the side of the face. However, I notice that others seem to benefit from my misfortune. It's almost as if Lady Luck sees fit to take what portion of fortune I should have had on anyone else nearby."
    He took a moment to wait for the next roll of the dice before it was his turn.
    "I do find that a good chat goes a long way to appease her,"
    he frowned at the double ones staring back, "for everyone else that is."
    He handed the dice to the next man.
    "Does anyone happen to know of a lout by the name of De Renlon? My student said the fellow would help him to prepare for his studies but I somehow doubt that after coming here."

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Caster Level Check to manipulate dice: (1d20+10)[30] +4? (tools)
    Ian will make sure that his own rolls are usually poor but will not lose more than 3 gp in total to the game. To that end, he will make a few spectacular rolls. (Gee, who does this remind me of?)
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Titan in the Playground