New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Need probability help on dice system

Hopefully someone here is better at probability math than I am, or can point me to a good reference. Trying to figure out how to determine averages on rolled dice, but it's a different sort of setup.

The number of 10-sided dice is variable, but you can't keep more than 2 results, and the 2 are added together to get the final total. So if you have 3d10, you roll 3, keep the best 2, and add them together. Roll a 3, a 6, and a 7, and your final total is 13 (not 16).

What I need is the formula to figure out the odds of each total (2 to a 20) on any pool of X dice.

You might recognize this as the basis of the system in Yggdrasill, etc -- borrowed the core book, trying to figure out some of the mechanics. There are some places where I'm not sure the authors did their match homework -- for example, on a straight-up characteristic (Strength, etc) roll: the average character will not on average succeed against an average difficulty).
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Need probability help on dice system

I'd recommend just using Anydice.

http://anydice.com/

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I don't see a way to tell it "roll Xd10, only add the highest 2 results".

EDIT: Found it.

EDIT2: it's claiming that there's a 0.00% chance to get a result of 2 on 5d10, keep the highest 2 and total. I know that's not true... even on 5d10, you could roll 5 ones.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2016-07-24 at 07:34 PM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Before I forget again -- thank you for pointing that site out.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

EDIT2: it's claiming that there's a 0.00% chance to get a result of 2 on 5d10, keep the highest 2 and total. I know that's not true... even on 5d10, you could roll 5 ones.
    Well, the probability of that happening is 0.00001 (or 0.001%, if you prefer), which means that the calculator is correct, assuming it rounds down to the nearest hundredth.
    Last edited by Arctanaar; 2016-07-25 at 02:44 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by CharonsHelper View Post
    I'd recommend just using Anydice.

http://anydice.com/
    Aha! I've been looking for something like this too. Wonderful.