New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: how to recruit local female gamers to increase group diversity

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    So a girl pee'd in your oatmeal one day, and now all girls are suspected oatmeal pee inners.

Cool story I guess.
    I'm willing to bet that somewhere there is a Craiglist ad asking for someone fitting this description.
    Re: 100 Things to Beware of that Every DM Should Know

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    93. No matter what the character sheet say, there are only 3 PC alignments: Lawful Snotty, Neutral Greedy, and Chaotic Backstabbing.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    So a girl pee'd in your oatmeal one day, and now all girls are suspected oatmeal pee inners.
    So that's the cause of cooties! Who knew? This explains so much! I should have heeded the warnings I heard in Kindergarten!

(Back to seriousness)

To the OP, if your SO is working all those hours, what this seems like is thar she misses her female friend, and is maybe just a little tired of "the guys" (some of us guys, such as myself are pretty annoying). It's nice that your looking out for her, but instead of finding her a buddy maybe there's ways you can free up some time for her? Errands, rides etc.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'm actually in agreement that this isn't your problem. Not for the same reasons, you still have a problem, just "how to recruit women" isn't it.
    Its cool you want to create a friendly and open environment for your players, but if the *only* female at the table is your SO? It's going to be hella off-putting to potential candidates. When your SO is new? That's worse.

So here's what I propose. Recruit someone experienced with the game who gets along well with your group. If that person is female, great! If not, you have a cohesive group that can have fun and teach your SO by inclusion, without hand holding.

Once she's more comfortable with the system and has some good stories about the game, *she will recruit a female friend on her own.*
    Because they will have heard about the good times and want to check it out.

It sucks that you lost your other female member, but if you show her that it doesn't matter whats between the legs, only whats on paper you'll be building a better game culture.
    "You want to see how a Human dies? at ramming speed."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Here's an idea for a non-creepy ad, although it will require a bit of work on your part.

Post something along the lines of "Local gaming group looking for new member. We are losing one member, and are looking for someone who fits our group dynamic to join up. We are a group of X guys and 1 girl, and are into GoT, etc etc. Send an email to [email protected] with your name, general interests, and favored play style (hack n slash, political intrigue, megadungeons, etc), and we'll let you know what we think!"

You don't need to specify that your "dynamic" is another girl, and can just tell any dudes that they aren't quite what you were looking for. Downside is that you'll have to go through any number of applicants.
    Nihil Refert

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    I'm actually in agreement that this isn't your problem. Not for the same reasons, you still have a problem, just "how to recruit women" isn't it.
    Its cool you want to create a friendly and open environment for your players, but if the *only* female at the table is your SO? It's going to be hella off-putting to potential candidates. When your SO is new? That's worse.

So here's what I propose. Recruit someone experienced with the game who gets along well with your group. If that person is female, great! If not, you have a cohesive group that can have fun and teach your SO by inclusion, without hand holding.

Once she's more comfortable with the system and has some good stories about the game, *she will recruit a female friend on her own.*
    Because they will have heard about the good times and want to check it out.

It sucks that you lost your other female member, but if you show her that it doesn't matter whats between the legs, only whats on paper you'll be building a better game culture.
    This. What I was trying to get at, but I got sidetracked in a drunken rant. Good stuff Acanous.
    Campaign Logs:
    Three Coins, Two Birds and a Gilded Sword: COMPLETE
    The Great Maw: NEARLY COMPLETE
    Seven Stones and a Pale Shadow: JUST BEGINNING

Follow us on Instagram for artwork and updates:
    The Norbayne Campaign

Exilian: A friendly place for gamers and repository of interesting content: A link to Exilian. Sign up and say hi!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I wanted to thank every... well most of you for your contributions. Its not exactly an easy topic and its one with a wide range of opinions that can escalate to difficult disagreements. Diversity in the hobby is not an easy topic to discuss and I appreciate those that put themselves out there. Another one of my players gave me a courtesy notice that he would be leaving in the next few weeks because he just got a new part time research job he wants to devote time to. he said if he finds a way to work it into his schedule after he gets used to the new work load he wants to rejoin but no promises. Because of this I asked another friend - huge history and fantasy/ sci fi buff to play and he actually says he may know a girl who would join.

Failing that, we have some time so we are going to try to run a session or two at the local game stores and my female player is either going to write or edit a post on gaming forums and craigslist to recruit. We agreed we wanted someone who would get along with us first, into the hobby second, and female third. If no female presents themselves, we grab another player. If we find an available female player at a later date, I am capable of running a 6 player party given that I have designed most of my encounters to involve both a boss enemy and some mooks - its easy enough to add more mooks or a lieutenant to all of my encounters to balance out the cr

Frustratingly enough the other player leaving hurts our diversity in other ways but I'm just taking what I'm going to get at this point rather than open up a whole new can of worms.

Still open to more advice and discussion if anyone wants to throw anything else in.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If you make flyers try to include a photo of your group. That way it seems less creepy. You will probably need every advantage

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by othaero View Post
    If you make flyers try to include a photo of your group. That way it seems less creepy. You will probably need every advantage
    Or more creepy, depends on your group.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm late to the party, but I'll chime in. Firstly, if I was a minority, I sure as heck would not appreciate being recruited only for my minority status, not my actual gameplay style. Also, super creepy dude.

I think the real issue is not increasing diversity. I think it is why your SO is uncomfortable around a table of only men. Are they cracking dirty jokes? Scratching their balls? Talking about the merits of peeing standing up? What are they doing that is so 'boy's club' and not 'inclusive social activity'. Because face it, you've got a pool of less then what, 20 people most likely? You're not getting diversity with that sort of numbers. So I say, address the real issue, instead of potentially getting yourself kicked out of the gamestore. Why is your SO uncomfortable, and how do you broach it?

I am going to second this, it is far better to have a table full of dudes that get along then an inclusive diverse group that have completely different desires. If you pass over completely good players because they have a meat and veg between their legs, you are doing your table a disservice. Especially if you have to settle for someone who is not a great fit for your table because they happen to be female.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've actually got a resource for you: nearbygamers.com

Create an account, enter your location, and find nearby gamers. In keeping with the spirit of this thread, it's usually a bit like dating. "Hey, your profile seems interesting. Want to get a coffee and see if we're into the same kinds of plastic polyhedrons?"

Good luck, and happy gaming.