The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Lords of Khorvaire [Nations, 3.5, Eberron, Fields of Blood]

Quote Originally Posted by Exthalion View Post
    Drat. Perhaps I will need contingencies for the "panic button" item I was making.
    You could say an Artificer made the item, and give both the powers Quicken.
    "Is mise tusa... Is tusa mise... Ón bhfarraige d'anam, tháinig mé..."
    お前 が 信じる, お前 を 信じろ
    A scientist never needs a reason to set something on fire.
    The only thing that exists is the way people relate, interact and affect each other, and how that expands throughout the world. There should never be an end to a tale.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Q'telun View Post
    You could say an Artificer made the item, and give both the powers Quicken.
    Or make them use activated, which I was trying to avoid for reasons of price.
    Last edited by Exthalion; 2016-08-02 at 03:49 PM.
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Q'telun View Post
    It'd be like a normal unit, but then add 125*(CR-1) points for special abilities, 100 rp per Wound level beyond 2, and/or 10 rp per inch of flying movement.

So, for example, a 6th level human wizard with 18 int and 15 con would be

[6 (Int and Con) + 0 (Movement) + 5 (Melee Power) + 12 (Toughness) + 4 (AC bonus)]*10 + [5*125] = 895 RP

Source: page 52 of FoB
    I'm not talking about a unit of characters. I'm talking about a single character for unit and formation commanders. Would I divide the unit cost by 100 or something?

Also, why does AC factor into the calculation?
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    I'm not talking about a unit of characters. I'm talking about a single character for unit and formation commanders. Would I divide the unit cost by 100 or something?

Also, why does AC factor into the calculation?
    The method to build special characters It's in pages 49-50, while pag 52 explains how abilities are calculated. (but I don't find it really satisfying.)

Oh, now that we are talking about it, would anyone like to take a look at the Triceratops at page 171? it is listed at 1930RP, but I do not understand how... building it gives me 930
    Does this poster have a sign?

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CozJa View Post
    The method to build special characters It's in pages 49-50, while pag 52 explains how abilities are calculated. (but I don't find it really satisfying.)

Oh, now that we are talking about it, would anyone like to take a look at the Triceratops at page 171? it is listed at 1930RP, but I do not understand how... building it gives me 930
    Might be a typo. Such things are common enough.
    -~-~-~-

There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first kind is excellent, the second good, and the third kind useless.
    Niccolo Machiavelli.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe...

and... I was thinking... but are we sure that the draconic template gives the "dragon type"?

7. - Top - End - #577
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe...

and... I was thinking... but are we sure that the draconic template gives the "dragon type"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconic Template
    "Draconic" is a template that can be added to any living corporeal creature (referred to hereafter as the "base creature") except dragons. Animals with this template become magical beasts, but otherwise the creature type is unchanged.
    A quick search in fact indicates that the Draconic template does not change the creature type of most creatures, and in fact does not confer the Dragon type on anything.

A Half-Dragon or other template might do it, but I doubt it's available for less than LA +2 (unless I'm wrong and there's more than one version of this template). You could also be Dragonborn, could you not?
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Active Games:
    - Ironfang Invasion (DM)
    - Darkest Dusk (Whisper)

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

8. - Top - End - #578
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    A quick search in fact indicates that the Draconic template does not change the creature type of most creatures, and in fact does not confer the Dragon type on anything.

A Half-Dragon or other template might do it, but I doubt it's available for less than LA +2 (unless I'm wrong and there's more than one version of this template). You could also be Dragonborn, could you not?
    Half-Dragon also means that the True Dragons all have it out for you.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

It has powerful chage and trample, special abilities cost 125*(CR-1=(9-1)*125=1000RP
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Titan in the Playground

Can the Permanent Fortifications you build on your provinces ever be upgraded? I don't mean the additional features, I'm taking about upgrading a Palisade to a Fortress or something. I'm not sure if I read something about that and missed it.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2016-08-02 at 05:59 PM.
    Show
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Active Games:
    - Ironfang Invasion (DM)
    - Darkest Dusk (Whisper)

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

11. - Top - End - #581
    Firbolg in the Playground

Welp, looks like I'm spending a feat on actual Leadership then.

Dragonborn is humanoid (dragonblood).
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2016-08-02 at 06:01 PM.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Bugbear in the Playground

A Half-Dragon or other template might do it, but I doubt it's available for less than LA +2 (unless I'm wrong and there's more than one version of this template).
    By RAW it's +3. Mandible could rule differently, of course, like he gave discounts on Vampire Lord and Vampire, but Half-Dragon in the Monster Manuals and Draconomicon is +3.

Quote Originally Posted by Exthalion View Post
    Half-Dragon also means that the True Dragons all have it out for you.
    Pff, like there would ever be consequences to the choices we make. Next you'll tell me they all know second level spells like Scintillating Scales from the Spell Compendium!
    Throw the dice high.

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

Whenever I hear people bickering about what's a dragon for dragon cohort, someone always brings up that dragonwrought kobolds are dragons... (Might as well get it out of the way)
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drack View Post
    Whenever I hear people bickering about what's a dragon for dragon cohort, someone always brings up that dragonwrought kobolds are dragons... (Might as well get it out of the way)
    If anyone has a dragonwrought kobold as a cohort, they will be liberally targeted by the Coral Kingdom military fleet.
    -~-~-~-

There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first kind is excellent, the second good, and the third kind useless.
    Niccolo Machiavelli.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbybobby99 View Post
    If anyone has a dragonwrought kobold as a cohort, they will be liberally targeted by the Coral Kingdom military fleet.
    More likely a shardstrike will hit the kobold the instant before it completes the thought process required to walk the path of punpun. The Dragons will all look up and conclude, noting how many times this exact thing has happened, and quietly whisper that whatever the Prophecy is, it has standards.
    Last edited by Exthalion; 2016-08-02 at 06:46 PM.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    My cohort is a warforged my Cannith char created.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Titan in the Playground

I'm getting an actual dragon myself mate. (Probably a true dragon)

19. - Top - End - #589
    Bugbear in the Playground

How sweet. Is it a skeletal dragon or a zombie dragon? ...Or are there more exotic undead ones out there?
    Throw the dice high.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

I was thinking mayhaps a plain old green dragon, but I dunno what color yet.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

that´s really funny (if true), can I sig it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

homebrew:
    shadowdancer rework

human ranger substitution levels

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground

It has powerful chage and trample, special abilities cost 125*(CR-1=(9-1)*125=1000RP
    AH! That makes a lot of sense, thanks! The fact that they didn't factored in or listed in anyway both of the abilities confused me.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

AH! That makes a lot of sense, thanks! The fact that they didn't factored in or listed in anyway both of the abilities confused me.
    Yup, I'd figured it was something like that, but it still gave me pause. Generally their math and such is right in the book, it's just that their organization and bookkeeping is terrible and in one or two cases perhaps even incomprehensible.

Anywho, no problem mate.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

If I've pegged you right your among the people who could optimize Monk into killing all the Elder Evils (Your not the one that did that, but your among them.). I'ma gonna take that with a grain of salt.

Additionally, everything I'm doing with my current dragon, I could do better with a Half Dragon Human with two other +1La templates, while still leaving her 'worse' than me to an extent it makes sense for him to be following me.

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessGnome View Post
    How sweet. Is it a skeletal dragon or a zombie dragon? ...Or are there more exotic undead ones out there?
    Technically wouldn't be a dragon, so no LA drop... That said, Vampire and Illithid dragon... Also Dracolich if that wasn't being rolled into skeleton, and I cold see 'Mummy Dragon' floating around somewhere.

I was thinking mayhaps a plain old green dragon, but I dunno what color yet.
    Green are 'native' to forests. I'd go Black, since they also naturally are associated with the undead and occasionally confused with them due to their features, in addition to being the swamp dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by neriractor View Post
    that´s really funny (if true), can I sig it?
    Go ahead. As for truth, YMMV. In this it's not optimized compared to Kobolds with 5 LA in templates or Half Dragons with an Extra 2 because racial hitdice are at best 'Almost as good as fighter/monk but still worse'.

That said, Dragon Rider (Seperate from Dragonrider) from Dragonlance is pretty awesome in how it boosts your dragon. Free HD/Feats/Natural Armor/Strength, adding your HD to it's for it's fear level. (So you end up with the highest HD you can get, + 8 + 20 for minimum level, and you send the BBEG running while chasing him down on dragon... Or you would, but immunity to fear is 'mandatory' at that level.)

Thinking on it, I'm going to have to decide whether I want my Cohort optimal for Scouting/Single and Group Combat, or keep the Trueseeing, raw Move Speed, and Movement Modes...
    *Looks around*
    I can buy Trueeseeing in exchange for not getting some Dragon Grafts which are really only good for FOB battles/Little things which I don't need the help with, and I can get really damn fast through other means...
    Damn... I've some thinking to do.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ogre in the Playground

and I cold see 'Mummy Dragon' floating around somewhere.
    Now I'm picturing a house Phiarlan play called "Return of the Mummy Dragon"

To whomever may be interested: I statted those mounts from ECS

Fastieth
    Clawfoot
    Glidewing

26. - Top - End - #596
    Banned

... Nope. I have a plan for my cohort, and I'm sticking with it. I am not doing any bull****ery like having a level 20 dude with a draconic template who is supposedly a dragon cohort. I am using a Warmage/Redeemer of Regrets and I am going to show all those necromancers how undead creation is REALLY done!

As well as having access to level 9 Battle Magic in order to blow armies into oblivion.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Titan in the Playground

If I've pegged you right your among the people who could optimize Monk into killing all the Elder Evils (Your not the one that did that, but your among them.). I'ma gonna take that with a grain of salt.
    Yeah, I probably could. (Monk's pretty strong. Much easier to optimize to high op then, say, paladin) Still, I'm shooting for low op in this game.

Additionally, everything I'm doing with my current dragon, I could do better with a Half Dragon Human with two other +1La templates, while still leaving her 'worse' than me to an extent it makes sense for him to be following me.
    Well yeah, but that still doesn't trump having a real dragon as your cohort. =p Mine'd work better as a non-true-dragon too, but I'm still gonna do it.

Technically wouldn't be a dragon, so no LA drop... That said, Vampire and Illithid dragon... Also Dracolich if that wasn't being rolled into skeleton, and I cold see 'Mummy Dragon' floating around somewhere.
    Yeah, but I was gonna go for a plain old living one.

Green are 'native' to forests. I'd go Black, since they also naturally are associated with the undead and occasionally confused with them due to their features, in addition to being the swamp dragons.
    Yup, it's cooler to have something exotic right?
    Last edited by drack; 2016-08-03 at 07:49 AM.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm... how likely do you all think it'll be that our cohorts reach 20th level by the end of this game? Assuming they survive, of course.
    Show
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Active Games:
    - Ironfang Invasion (DM)
    - Darkest Dusk (Whisper)

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

dragon cohorts are starting at 20, aren't they? =p

30. - Top - End - #600
    Troll in the Playground

PirateWench

well if we are allowed to have dragons from the book I see that an adult dragon is 3500 RP for 1, seems worth while - I may have to think about getting one maybe a planar one, not sure yet