New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Golden Brick Awards: The Best of the Best of the Worst Tournament!

umm, this is embarrassing. I accidentally deleted my post here. So hopefully no one bothers to look here any more and we can just pretend it never happened.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2016-08-03 at 12:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: The Golden Brick Awards: The Best of the Best of the Worst Tournament!

Yay! GoldenBricks!!! Hooray for Littlebum!

I guess I'll go with #224.

None of them is even remotely near to my favourites list.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: The Golden Brick Awards: The Best of the Best of the Worst Tournament!

This is harder than the brick awards was... normally i could whittle down to 1-3 and pick from there, but I've got 6 now.

18 is enjoyable in it's simplicity, but it's the first to go of my keep list.
    224 is groggy fun, but it's the second to go.
    242 has non traditional panel layout, and some keen jokes here and there, but I'll let it go.
    333, if better timed with the main, would have been it, but since we haven't seen durokan in his own head crying as he sees his own home, we'll let it go.
    138, with it's enjoyable gags and plenty of ways to "get around the rules", will not win, because:

188 has one of my most favorite missed quotes - "I Dream of the day I will learn to stop asking questions to which I will regret learning the answers"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The only one I actually laughed at was 376, so I'll go with that.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

I think that my vote has to go to 18.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

376, Great strip, and I especially still love the last line.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

242 - Chekov's Law Realized is my favorite of those. So that's the one I'm voting for.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    And here they are!!!
    Gotta update signature...

Since I'm here, I vote for #376. "Quest Buy" is gold.
    The Hundred Second
    Creator of the first iteration of The Stick Awards

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Really torn between 18 (and its REALLY surprising second sneak attack ) and 224 ("one order of gluttony with a side of corruption, please" is a great example of the Giant's great and funny dialogue).

I'll go with 18 as a hommage to really early OOTS.
    My new tumblr on all things meta:

http://meta-net.tumblr.com/

Yes, Tarquin is there as the ultimate meta-villain.
    Open to suggestions or submissions

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The main theme of the comic is, "I'm glad I have a job where I can work in my pajamas."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Fittingly, I'm torn between 18 and 188. Both are solid strips that are, at least in my mind, easily among the highlights of their respective books. But ultimately, while I do love a good perspective gag, I've got to go with #18 for being surprisingly applicable to pretty much ANY game with ambush mechanics.
    Last edited by ChillerInstinct; 2016-07-27 at 04:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Incidentally, this is why you never see a group of halflings together. Their collective gravitational force could rip apart fabric of space-time. No halfling can ever spend too much time near another halfling, lest they end the planet as they know it. They live solitary lives, separated from their own mothers from infancy, for the sake of the planet. It is a grave burden they bear...
    There are three halflings at the Godsmoot. Guess how the Gods will destroy the world if Dvalin votes yes.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

(un?)Fortunately for me, these became pretty popular, and so now I am going to make a tournament for these really good, bad strips.

After the finals, we will have an "Ultra-Brick Awards" for all the strips that recieved no votes during the Brick Awards because people assume I have nothing better to do.
    I did volunteer for the ultra bricks with my crazy scheme, even if we didn't use the crazy scheme. I just don't know if anyone wants them sequentially after the goldens or concurrently, as I have a pretty ingenious (yet crazy) way to get to the bottom of the 63 ultra bricks. And to be honest, we might get bored seeing the same ultra bricks pop up over and over again on its descent to the bottom (We may see 10% return for another round of voting, we may see 90% return!). On the other hand, the point of the original tournaments was to take a nice stroll through the comic, comparing each one to the other and seeing things we might have missed, and I'd like to go with another big tournament again - but we need more than 45 comics added before beginning again. Running concurrently would be counter to this idea.
    Last edited by Markozeta; 2016-07-27 at 05:42 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

333. Durkon got very little character development in between his Hilgya fling and his fight with Malack ~800 strips later. This strip was pretty darn good, though.

13. - Top - End - #13

224. Luxury is the herald of weakness!
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

333: The Bright Side takes it for me. It's so bittersweet, particularly in light of, erm, comparatively recent events.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

376: Xykon's moderately escapable forcage
    (And an explanation of why the heck he left Miko alive.)

So, have you ( littlebum2002) decided you are up for running the Ultra Brick awards, or would you still prefer for someone else to do it?

I'd be happy to do it, but I wouldn't want to feel like I'd be taking your contest away from you.
    Last edited by 137beth; 2016-07-28 at 09:35 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Markozeta View Post
    I did volunteer for the ultra bricks with my crazy scheme, even if we didn't use the crazy scheme. I just don't know if anyone wants them sequentially after the goldens or concurrently, as I have a pretty ingenious (yet crazy) way to get to the bottom of the 63 ultra bricks. And to be honest, we might get bored seeing the same ultra bricks pop up over and over again on its descent to the bottom (We may see 10% return for another round of voting, we may see 90% return!). On the other hand, the point of the original tournaments was to take a nice stroll through the comic, comparing each one to the other and seeing things we might have missed, and I'd like to go with another big tournament again - but we need more than 45 comics added before beginning again. Running concurrently would be counter to this idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    So, have you ( littlebum2002) decided you are up for running the Ultra Brick awards, or would you still prefer for someone else to do it?

I'd be happy to do it, but I wouldn't want to feel like I'd be taking your contest away from you.
    TBH, as fun as they are to put on, these awards are taking away a lot of my time. Especially since I have to do them at work (no home computer), and I'm actually supposed to be working at work, so...

I'm sure either of you guys would be great at it. However, whoever does it, I think that Markozeta's idea of mixing them up instead of doing them in order is a GREAT idea which will keep things fresh and that should definitely be incorporated. Oh, and don't take it too seriously!!!
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2016-07-28 at 10:15 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm voting for #333.

Peelee’s Lotsey

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

TBH, as fun as they are to put on, these awards are taking away a lot of my time. Especially since I have to do them at work (no home computer), and I'm actually supposed to be working at work, so...

I'm sure either of you guys would be great at it. However, whoever does it, I think that Markozeta's idea of mixing them up instead of doing them in order is a GREAT idea which will keep things fresh and that should definitely be incorporated. Oh, and don't take it too seriously!!!
    Yea, I agree Markozeta's idea is worth using. IMO, the Ultra Brick Awards should wait until after the Golden Brick Awards are completed, and that it should be done sequentially, no matter how long it takes

19. - Top - End - #19

333 gets my vote.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

#18. Call me what you will, but I love rules jokes, and this one has two!
    Spoiler
    Show

Gone like the wind.

21. - Top - End - #21

AssassinGuy

SO many nostalgic favorites, but in the end, I'll take one order of gluttony with a side of corruption, please. #224 is my pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

#224 - "There aren't even rules for sleeping, you know!!" is one of my all time favourite lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    She brings the lightning to the sky,
    the waves onto the shore,
    the rain and the thunder
    and the dark cloud's roar...

Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat.

BAM! Doomsealed!!

Custom avatar courtesy of Comissar. Thanks!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Yea, I agree Markozeta's idea is worth using. IMO, the Ultra Brick Awards should wait until after the Golden Brick Awards are completed, and that it should be done sequentially, no matter how long it takes
    Thanks for that. So here is the proposed format, whenever it starts:

1.) I pad the ultra bricks to make a number divisible by 6 using comics with numbers past 1000. (since, hey - we're looking for the losers here anyways, these ones will probably soak up a lot of votes anyways. Only 6.3% of comics actually made it to ultra-brick, so 45 comics should yield only 3 more real ultra bricks).

2.) The ultra bricks are tossed at random, and divided into six equal groups. This first one will be six groups of 11. Large numbers encourage more bricking, as can be seen.

3.) We tally up the votes for the best and count our bricks.

4.) After all six rounds, we have a "best of round X", to find out who shined. It'll probably be one of the post-1000 comics, but you know, we're looking for bricks here, not shiny pebbles in the mud. So if one of those wins, it just means that none of the ultra bricks rose to the spotlight.

5.) After all that's done, we start with step 1 and repeat!

6.) To keep the numbers at 10 or larger, we'll switch the number of groups. When we get down to <60, we switch to five groups, <50, we switch to 4 groups, etc. When we finally have a round where no bricks are accumulated, all of those will the lowest amount of votes will be declared the ultra-bricks!

It's a bit crazy and hectic. Let me know your thoughts.

Side note: Ran a simulation real fast. Should result in 5 rounds maximum is my guess, assuming that ones with 1000+ comics have a 70% bricking rate (typical for rounds where "awesome comics" were in place that made a lot of bricks), and ones without 1000+ comics would be 30% bricking rate (typical for standard sections).
    Last edited by Markozeta; 2016-07-29 at 12:36 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Markozeta View Post
    I did volunteer for the ultra bricks with my crazy scheme, even if we didn't use the crazy scheme. I just don't know if anyone wants them sequentially after the goldens or concurrently, as I have a pretty ingenious (yet crazy) way to get to the bottom of the 63 ultra bricks.
    If I'd known sooner it was 63, I'd have recommended running them concurrently via a swiss-system tournament. Adding a single honorary brick (because a bye is boring) would get it up to an even power of two, so after six sets of pairwise competitions we could have....

• 1 Golden Brick
    • 6 Silver Bricks
    • 15 Bronze Bricks
    • 20 Copper Bricks
    • 15 Clay Bricks
    • 6 Adobe Bricks
    • 1 Wet Dirt "Brick"
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Mahonri Violist View Post
    242 - Chekov's Law Realized is my favorite of those. So that's the one I'm voting for.
    Ditto. 242. Several of the others are good. But 242 is the best.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

I really wasn't expecting this, since I generally prefer later strips to earlier--indeed, you might even say I'm surprised!--but I'm going to have to go with #18 Double Surprise.

It's a rules joke that is genuinely funny even without any prior knowledge of D&D at all. Anyone who understands absurdity can get it. We all know what "surprise" means and what a "surprise attack" is, and we can all imagine a rules system that lets you get two "surprise attacks" in a row under certain circumstances. And that's all you need to know to find the joke funny. A well-conceived and well-executed joke strip.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

You can't defeat the classics.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

#376 is great.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

376 for "Xykon's Moderately-Escapable Forcecage"
    If we kill Nale, all he needs is for Hilgya or Zz'dtri or someone we don't even know about to drum up the cash for a True Resurrection spell and BAM! Nales's back in buisness and there's not a lot we could have done.

You're not helping
    Didn't think I was.

30. - Top - End - #30

#282 for being how I got into OotS in the first place.