New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Golden Brick Awards: The Best of the Best of the Worst Tournament!

Quote Originally Posted by Markozeta View Post
    Thanks for that. So here is the proposed format, whenever it starts:

1.) I pad the ultra bricks to make a number divisible by 6 using comics with numbers past 1000. (since, hey - we're looking for the losers here anyways, these ones will probably soak up a lot of votes anyways. Only 6.3% of comics actually made it to ultra-brick, so 45 comics should yield only 3 more real ultra bricks).

2.) The ultra bricks are tossed at random, and divided into six equal groups. This first one will be six groups of 11. Large numbers encourage more bricking, as can be seen.

3.) We tally up the votes for the best and count our bricks.

4.) After all six rounds, we have a "best of round X", to find out who shined. It'll probably be one of the post-1000 comics, but you know, we're looking for bricks here, not shiny pebbles in the mud. So if one of those wins, it just means that none of the ultra bricks rose to the spotlight.

5.) After all that's done, we start with step 1 and repeat!

6.) To keep the numbers at 10 or larger, we'll switch the number of groups. When we get down to <60, we switch to five groups, <50, we switch to 4 groups, etc. When we finally have a round where no bricks are accumulated, all of those will the lowest amount of votes will be declared the ultra-bricks!

It's a bit crazy and hectic. Let me know your thoughts.

Side note: Ran a simulation real fast. Should result in 5 rounds maximum is my guess, assuming that ones with 1000+ comics have a 70% bricking rate (typical for rounds where "awesome comics" were in place that made a lot of bricks), and ones without 1000+ comics would be 30% bricking rate (typical for standard sections).
    Hrmm, I'm not sure the post-1000 strips should be able to qualify for advancement in the same way, since they didn't actually get 0 votes.
    Unless there were an elaborate tie-breaking system which allowed post-1000 strips to progress if they meet additional criteria....

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: The Golden Brick Awards: The Best of the Best of the Worst Tournament!

more words so message is not too short

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for that. So here is the proposed format, whenever it starts:

1.) I pad the ultra bricks to make a number divisible by 6 using comics with numbers past 1000. (since, hey - we're looking for the losers here anyways, these ones will probably soak up a lot of votes anyways. Only 6.3% of comics actually made it to ultra-brick, so 45 comics should yield only 3 more real ultra bricks).
    I would argue strongly against adding any comics bast #1000. That would defeat the idea of a Brick Awards

2.) The ultra bricks are tossed at random, and divided into six equal groups. This first one will be six groups of 11. Large numbers encourage more bricking, as can be seen.

3.) We tally up the votes for the best and count our bricks.

4.) After all six rounds, we have a "best of round X", to find out who shined. It'll probably be one of the post-1000 comics, but you know, we're looking for bricks here, not shiny pebbles in the mud. So if one of those wins, it just means that none of the ultra bricks rose to the spotlight.

5.) After all that's done, we start with step 1 and repeat!

6.) To keep the numbers at 10 or larger, we'll switch the number of groups. When we get down to <60, we switch to five groups, <50, we switch to 4 groups, etc. When we finally have a round where no bricks are accumulated, all of those will the lowest amount of votes will be declared the ultra-bricks!

It's a bit crazy and hectic. Let me know your thoughts.

Side note: Ran a simulation real fast. Should result in 5 rounds maximum is my guess, assuming that ones with 1000+ comics have a 70% bricking rate (typical for rounds where "awesome comics" were in place that made a lot of bricks), and ones without 1000+ comics would be 30% bricking rate (typical for standard sections).
    All of this sounds great, just without the post #1000 strips.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

It's a tie! Or at least it would be, if I didn't have super awesome tiebreaking powers. And I'm totally going for 376 over 18, I didn't find that one to be very funny.

376 All Too Easy is our winner this week.

#18 leads the Wildcard race with 6 votes, and #224 and #333 are tied for 2nd with 4 votes each.

VOTING IS NOW CLOSED!

........THE BRICK AWARDS: SEMIFINAL 1
    Comic Number Votes Received Vote Percentage
    24%
    0%
    4%
    16%
    8%
    4%
    16%
    28%

Please join us for the next round of voting!
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2016-08-03 at 10:33 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    umm, this is embarrassing. I accidentally deleted my post here. So hopefully no one bothers to look here any more and we can just pretend it never happened.
    Pretend what never happened?