New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default What are you favorite feats?

I am wanting to see what feats people like the most, and why. (or, feat-like features)

Also, what are feats do you find the most unique?

(Any system really, but 3.5 and Pf seem the most applicable.)
    Last edited by SangoProduction; 2016-07-27 at 11:44 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: What are you favorite feats?

1. Linked power: Do I even have to explain?
    2. Keen Intellect: Because I frequently play Int-heavy characters and it makes them less MAD.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

For me, it probably has to be Celestial Familiar. The feat is just so good.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Redhead and Dragon Wings are pretty well tied. Redhead for the massive versatility and flavor it can provide when abused. And dragon wings just because it is cool to get(nearly) free movement and have freaking dragon wings.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Do things are basically feats like class features that cost a single feat slot count? If so spontaneous divination is pretty sweet.

If not there's always goodies like collegiate wizard, mindsight, craft contingent spell, and obtain familiar to free up the original for class feature trades and scale with prestige classes.

Versatile spellcaster on wizard accessed by any number of tricks is also SO GOOD.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

My favorite feats in order
    1) Combat Reflexes
    2) Knockback
    3) Touch of Healing
    4) Staggering Strike
    5) Dark Stalker
    6) Lifesense
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2016-07-27 at 10:50 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Domain/"Devotion" feats
    Feats that give you new abilities. Super sick. Law, Trickery, Knowledge stand out to me.

Reserve Feats
    Same as above. The Summoning and Polymorph ones are super good.

Bind Vestige
    Grant some small effects.

Shape Soulmeld
    Super nice, especially for Azurins.

Draconic Wildshape
    Become a medium dragon, get their breath weapon and senses and stuff!

Exalted Companion
    Make your AnC good and intelligent, so you can give them Vow of Poverty or other feats.

Draconic Familiar
    Dragons make good familiars, as their HD give them more feats.

Celestial Familiar
    Some nice familiar options.

Improved Familiar
    Good options, including fighting ones

Psicrystal Affinity
    Get a little buddy!

Obtain Familiar
    Get a little buddy!

Martial Study/Stance
    Some stances are so worth the two feats

Draconic Aura
    buffs that can scale if you're related to a dragon or whatever
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Touch of golden ice.
    The flavor for it is delicious, and it meshes so beautifully with certain builds- totemist abuse is a fun trick with it.
    Exalted companion
    Because sometimes having a good dog is better when they are a Good dog.
    IUS/SUS
    Because frankly, when your gm tries to gimp you for your magic item fetish, nothing quite like punching the BBEG in the face. The GM in question tried it once.
    (PF) Nemesis
    Great story writing, gives the GM more rope to allow certain other shenanigans, and 2 favored class bonuses/lv once completed
    Wolfpack
    Dungeon crasher/combat familiar shenanigans.
    Shock Trooper
    Because obviously.
    Currently Playing as:
    KalKhan Manyfaces Half-Orc Ranger5/Illithid Slayer3/Aerial Avenger 3/Wizard 2//psionic gish (3.X)
    Puck Yuell Pixie (sprite) Bard (3.5)

Currently Running:
    Cypher Arcanum- an attempt at giving my players a Monty Haul. Taking it away, but giving nice internal bonuses. (3.X)

Homebrewing:
    Reincarnation/Heritage Campaign- using Cypher as the test ground

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Swift Hunter is probably my most favorite feat ever. It enables an archetype that would be near-impossible without it AND allows precision damage on those normally immune as a cherry on top :)

Nemesis (BoED) is also an AMAZING feat for it's no ifs/whens/buts detection abilities too. Shapeshifting evil outsiders be danged!
    Last edited by weckar; 2016-07-28 at 02:36 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

My favorites are Domain feats, for reasons snowbluff explained, and the feats like Swift Hunter, Daring Outlaw, etc. because they tend to give a little more power and build leeway to classes that have noticeable problems.

My favorite of those is probably Ascetic Hunter as it allows a class that is fundamentally broken to be advanced on a chassis with full BAB, good skills, and an easy entry into Horizon Walker, which has a lot of abilities comparable to the Monk's but once again on a decent chassis...

...and I'm really starting to ramble quite a bit now so I'm just going to stop. In short Ascetic Hunter makes monk tier 4 or so with little effort and I really enjoy that.
    I'm a vestige!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Master's Voice - UMD check to control mindless undead/constructs. Great flavour - I'm thinking of Stross' Laundry series, for example.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

From 3.5

-Stand Still & Staggering Strike
    Both give efficient crowd control to melee characters, enabling the "tank" role without the need of a taunt mechanic.
    What I would improve: DC based on damage is too high, should give the defender a chance

-Knowledge Devotion
    Great concept, I like how it blends the fluff and the crunch in a simple, clean way.
    A bit too effective for its cost and yet requires too many resources, encouraging overspecialization (which I do not really love). It's not good design. Instead, I would make the DC based on the enemy CR and lower the reward (i.e. make a check, if you succeed you get +3, otherwise you get nothing)

-Elusive Target
    Nice options, really impacts the playstyle of your character.

-Deadly Defense
    Simple, clean, effective. If it was just slightly stronger (i.e. reduce the penalty to hit when fighting defensively by 1) it would be the perfect example of a balanced feat

Pathfinder:

-Weapon Trick
    I love options for melee. The idea of a feat that evolves based on other requirements is fantastic and it really helps developing certain fighting styles.

-Eldritch heritage chain
    If it wasn't clear, I like feats that expand a character's options.

---
    feats I do NOT like:

-Deflect Arrows:
    What is this - deflect an attack no action no check?Why? Doesn't seem fair conceptually to automatically "win" at an opposed anything. It's also situational, because if you don't need it you can't use it.
    This is a feat that is either completely useless or completely invincible.
    It might seem that the two things balance each other, but two faults don't make a quality, it's just a feat that's wrong twofold.
    Give it a permanent active benefit (land speed? a bonus at skill checks based on quick hand-eye coordination, such as sleight of hand?)
    AND the chance of deflecting one or more arrows with a check, by expending Aoos

-Weapon Focus
    Feat tax that is not rewarding enough for its cost, and is a boring, static bonus

-Leap Attack, Shock Trooper (and charge feats in general) & a note on Lion Totem
    While I love the concept of a brutal charger, the problem here is that they didn't really design the single feats and ACFs in a cohesive way. They didn't foresee the combinations and this resulted in numbers skyrocketing (this is not the only way of dealing thousands of damage, but is by far the most popular) it's just too easy to get pounce and use these feats to make every fight that doesn't specifically disallow charges completely trivial.
    I don't hate effective melee (I love them) I hate that you have to pidgeonhole yourself into certain unintuitive routes to be effective, or be completely overshadowed because you thought a shield was cool and you don't like charging. Also, having a strategy that either works (autowin then by extreme damage) or doesn't (can't charge/can't hit) is not fun to play.

-Call truce
    Aka "mundanes can't have nice things"
    Last edited by Seppo87; 2016-07-28 at 04:30 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I can't believe Magical Training and Precocious Apprentice haven't been mentioned yet. They're just great, especially when combined.

Do you want Animate Dead on your 1st-level character (class doesn't matter)? Here you go. Perhaps you want a reserve feat instead? How about Ray of Stupidity to negate all those pesky low-level wildlife encounters? Perhaps you want Alter Self and all its cheese?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Melodic Casting - more or less required on any Bard I build.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to go in a different direction entirely, and mention the Spelltouched feats. Not because they're actually any good - most of them aren't - or even because they're feat taxes for something bigger - again, not the case.

They're simply so flavorful. You were hit by lightning, so now you can redirect it. You were hit by a magical knowledge spell, so now information just leaks into your brain from nowhere. You were exposed to Barkskin, so now your flesh has become a bit photosynthetic. Someone tried to kill you with a phantasm, and that terror has so scarred your soul that anyone trying to use divination against you sees that same thing, and might die from it. (That one's actually pretty useful, for RAW-abuse reasons.)
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Seppo87 View Post
    -Elusive Target
    Nice options, really impacts the playstyle of your character.
    I really like the [Tactical] feats conceptually.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

My personal favorites are Chain Spell (because it can do some really fun things, from making the chaingun wizard out of launch bolt (when combined with Reach Spell and Arcane Thesis) to allowing a necromancer to control far more unintelligent undead than one might expect thanks to command undead lacking a HD limitation) and Mother Cyst.

Mother Cyst has flavor and is tailor-made to be an utterly terrifying monster of a controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    I can't believe Magical Training and Precocious Apprentice haven't been mentioned yet. They're just great, especially when combined.

Do you want Animate Dead on your 1st-level character (class doesn't matter)? Here you go.
    I am unfamiliar with this trick, and don't see how it works just from reading the feats. Please elaborate, as getting animate dead on a first-level necromancer is of great interest to me.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

combat panache. Hands down the most fun feat to play with. Act dead after get hit by the first guy to strike at you. Say out loud, "that's all of my HP." Text your DM that you're using it. Other players be like: WHAT?!

Just make the mage do all the work. Sorry bud, I was DEAD!

Or, alternatively:

Then, next round, make that guy hit his own friend and backstab him in the process.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Most come from World of Warcraft RPG :/

Mind over Matter: Charisma into HP, must be undead (forsaken or otherwise).

Any [Totemic] feat, cause y'know, throwing totems around feels just gud.

Link Spell, Greater Link Spell. Both are incredibly broken, cast two spells at the same action by only applying a +1 to both? Well, ok. What? The Greater version lets you cast any number at +1 at the same action?

From 3.5 I love the Intelligence for X feats, Keen Intellect, Faerie Mysteries Initiate (Passions), Kung-Fu Genius (for monks). I especially love those when playing wizards, I've been more tanky than the barbarian (both in HP and AC). For that note, Improved Initiative is a nice-balanced feat.
    Check out which is the Playground's favorite Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    "Narass, what's the scouter say about their power level?"

"**** if I know."
    >> My Extended Signature <<

Hey guys, I'm a vestige! And a spell!

Awesome avatar by Cuthalion.

20. - Top - End - #20

BlueKnightGuy

Another vote for Mother Cyst. My favorite character ever would do "tag and release" on captured bandits/rebels/monsters so that we could track them back to their lairs. Oh, and then blowing them up with a thought once we were done.

I'm quite partial to the Draconic feats. Some of them suck, some of them are okay, and some of them are tragically underrated. One of my favorites is Draconic Power - flat +1 caster level and +1 to the DC of spells with your draconic heritage's energy tag (hello, snowcasting!). I also really, really like Blue Dragon Lineage. Pretty much guaranteed damage with no saves or SR. Also a ranged touch attack, and damage is contingent on the spell slot sacrificed and your Charisma. Pretty easy to get ~40 damage out of a third level slot, which while not amazing is at least extremely reliable.

Another one that's cool mostly for flavor is Spellfire wielder. It's not nearly as good as it seems at first brush, but it does let you tank spells like a boss and then vomit magical energy back at the other dude. Also, it's technically a supernatural ability, which does open up some cheese IIRC.
    “Stupid entropy ruins everything.”
    -Jennifer Ouellette

My divine portfolio (cred goes to Jormengand):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bobby, the Twist in Time
    Divine Rank: 4
    Deity of: Twisted Truth, Time
    Symbol: A pair of wings made of fossils
    Alignment: True Neutral
    Worshipers: Archaeologists, forgers
    Cleric Alignments: Any neutral
    Domains: Artifice, Creation, Knowledge, Time
    Favoured Weapon: Longsword

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I love Fell Conspiracy from Exemplars of Evil. It's not evil or even distasteful—it's actually phenomenally useful to just about every party. At-will intraparty Message for free? Awesome. Intraparty telepathy and a crazy gigantic typeless bonus to Spot and Listen for the whole team for just 50 gp (per party, not per character) a day? Sold! The bonus to Spot and Listen is even better if your GM allows you to include familiars, animal companions, and similar critters, but even if you just apply it to the actual PCs, it's still fantastic, and basically every party can benefit from it.

There's plenty of other feats I like, but I think Fell Conspiracy is my favorite.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

22. - Top - End - #22

Never heard about [Ceremony] feats before. Very cool, too bad there are very few and they mostly suck pretty bad.

23. - Top - End - #23

Flumph

I think these are my faves .

1. Headlong Rush : Double Damage on charge attacks for Half orcs or Orcs .

2. Chaste Life . Red Sonja feat . 2 AB points to any stat as long as you dont have sex with an NPC or Party Member . How many players have bothered poor DM for an AB feat ? All of them .

3. Dirty Fighting . Extra 1d4 damage on melee eezy peezy lemon squeezy .

4. Toughness PF rules . Level 1 players best friend

5. Selective channel . Major combat overhaul

6. Raging vigour . SChwweet extra + 2 on con and stay raged at negative hP .

7 Nymph kiss. skill points , saves , +2 Cha checks...
    Last edited by Pugwampy; 2016-07-28 at 01:48 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ComaVision View Post
    Never heard about [Ceremony] feats before. Very cool, too bad there are very few and they mostly suck pretty bad.
    Indeed, almost all of them are more hassle than they're worth. Blessing of the Godless isn't totally useless, but it's also poorly written—feats and other abilities that aren't tied to a specific class shouldn't reference "class level," and while the intro indicates that the rituals require unholy water, there's no text indicating how much unholy water you need, so you need a GM ruling on the cost of each ritual. The ones from PHB2 are a total waste of time, though, and I'm not familiar with any first-party ones outside of EoE or PHB2.

Even so, Fell Conspiracy is still amazing. And my favorite part is that it doesn't require an Evil alignment or unholy water or anything distasteful—you can have someone with Exalted feats taking and using Fell Conspiracy without anything bad happening. And since there's nothing that says that [Ceremony] feats are supernatural effects, they're extraordinary, following the general rule for feats that don't specify otherwise. (I think Blessing of the Godless is supernatural because it has the Vile tag, but other than that, we're good.)

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    The ones from PHB2 are a total waste of time, though, and I'm not familiar with any first-party ones outside of EoE or PHB2.
    Dragon Magic has a few but a quick read-through didn't impress me.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ComaVision View Post
    Dragon Magic has a few but a quick read-through didn't impress me.
    Huh, right you are. I agree with them being profoundly unimpressive, though. I'd consider using one or two of them in very specific circumstances if I didn't have to spend a whole feat slot on them, but they're either too limited, too costly, or both to actually be worth taking as normal feats.

27. - Top - End - #27

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

In b4 Leadership? Really?
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

I was always a fan of Poison Healer, even though I never felt like spending two feats for it.

Gave it to one of my players at some point. We had a lot of fun with it.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    In b4 Leadership? Really?
    Leadership is my favorite feat for somebody else to take. Yes, it's powerful, but I'm already giving tactical advice to the party newbies.