New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Move actions that gain a bonus

There is an archer in our party (a seeker or a ranger, I'm not really sure), anyway, he gets a +1 to ranged attacks if he moves more than two squares before attacking. Our DM has ruled that he now has to finish two squares from where he started, in other words, he can't just move forward and then back. This seems a little harsh to me as I've seen a few powers that use this mechanic (Warlocks concealment, ect.) and it seems to me that the idea is that you just have to take a move action (using up the move action and provoking potential AoOs). Am I correct? What do you people think?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Move actions that gain a bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Kimboat View Post
    There is an archer in our party (a seeker or a ranger, I'm not really sure), anyway, he gets a +1 to ranged attacks if he moves more than two squares before attacking. Our DM has ruled that he now has to finish two squares from where he started, in other words, he can't just move forward and then back. This seems a little harsh to me as I've seen a few powers that use this mechanic (Warlocks concealment, ect.) and it seems to me that the idea is that you just have to take a move action (using up the move action and provoking potential AoOs). Am I correct? What do you people think?
    I've seen it done both ways. I generally prefer the way your DM is running it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I'd agree with your DM. Getting a bonus for just skipping back and forth without any risk, that's just annoying. "I do basically nothing and get a free bonus," I say thee nay! Lots of Strikers are designed to be highly mobile, and if you can just get the bonus of running around without actually running around, it feels cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Shadow Walk requires that you move at least 3 squares away from the square you started. Vibrating 1 square back and forth clearly dod not trigger it.

You might want to, I dunno, actually mention what feat or feature you are actually talking about.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

That sounds like the rangers "running attack" feature. It was designed for (or at least released with) the Marauder ranger build. i don't have access to the official Wizards rules (at work) but what I did find reads as follows:

Running Attack
    Original rangers who do not choose the Beast Mastery or Prime Shot class features receive the Running Attack class feature.

If you use a standard action that lets you move (such as a charge or the skirmish shot power), and you end that movement at least 2 squares away from where you began that move, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls made as part of that standard action.[MP2:32]

I found this on a D&D wiki page but it sounds like what I remember from when I built my marauder ranger. If that is the power he's using then it doesn't apply with just a move action anyways, and he does have to end 2 squares away. Hope this clarifies.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMask View Post
    If you use a standard action that lets you move (such as a charge or the skirmish shot power), and you end that movement at least 2 squares away from where you began that move....
    I can confirm that this matches the official text in the Compendium. If the feature in question is the Ranger's Running Attack, the DM isn't so much making a ruling as simply reading the feature correctly.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Although it is worth noting that this does not match the original poster's understanding of what was going on. It isn't just take a move action and gain a bonus. It has to be movement that is built into the same standard action as you attack with. There are several powers out there that do this, especially for a mobile class like rangers, but it the movement can't be from a separate move action.

Honestly, I'm always just for using RAW in cases like this. If the power, feat, class feature says just move 2 squares then it can be forward and back. If it says move 2 squares away from where you started then you must do that. If we're right about which feature is being described, then the DM is adjudicating it correctly about needing to end 2 squares from where he started (though he might be too loose if he is allowing a separate move action to do trigger it).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

The feature is a bonus *to attack powers that grand movement*, and it states that if you use that movement to end the action 2 squares away from the start, you get a bonus *on that action*.

It does not give a bonus for using a separate move action. Even if that move action lets you move and attack.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Even if that move action lets you move and attack.
    I don't know of any powers that let you use your move action to move and make an attack. I may be wrong but that would be a OP power if you can use a SA to move and attack and a MA to move and attack in one turn.
    And to Lord_Kimboat, clarify with the player what feature is giving him the bonus and use the online compendium to determine the RAW for that feature. If the player/DM want to house-rule it from there that's up to them to reach an agreed upon rule.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Eladrin Swordmage Advance feat gives you a move action teleport+attack, and teleport is a move.

Or using your move action as a minor that includes some movement component (I don't know of any minor attack+move, but I suspect one must exist).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Eladrin Swordmage Advance feat gives you a move action teleport+attack, and teleport is a move.

Or using your move action as a minor that includes some movement component (I don't know of any minor attack+move, but I suspect one must exist).
    I guess if you made an Eladrin Ranger multi-class swordmage and took the Eladrin Swordmage Advance feat, then that one melee basic would not benefit from the running attack feature. But in this case it's technically two separate actions. You use Fey-step (move action) and then are granted a melee basic as a free action.
    Taking it one step further, if you made a hybrid ranger/X and had powers with which you teleport and attack (as one action), do they benefit from this feature? I would think so as long as you teleport at least two squares, right?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMask View Post
    I don't know of any powers that let you use your move action to move and make an attack. I may be wrong but that would be a OP power if you can use a SA to move and attack and a MA to move and attack in one turn.
    And to Lord_Kimboat, clarify with the player what feature is giving him the bonus and use the online compendium to determine the RAW for that feature. If the player/DM want to house-rule it from there that's up to them to reach an agreed upon rule.
    Even better, the Rogue's level 17 power, Tumbling Strike- Minor action, shift your speed and attack at any time during the shift, you can shift through enemies' squares and ignore difficult terrain, and the attack deals 3[W]+Dex. From Dragon 381.
    Last edited by masteraleph; 2016-07-29 at 03:07 PM.