New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Publishing dates

Is there any place where I could find the date each strip was published for strips prior to #252? The list of discussion thread index has all the rest, but prior to that there is less info.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Publishing dates

B. Dandelion's (long inactive) OOTS Strips by Final Post Count thread has a link to her data, which contains the dates and times for all the strips (or at least, for the forum posts that indicated when a new strip was up) from 1 through 915.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2016-07-29 at 10:57 AM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

You can piece together rough dates of some of them (but I suspect not all) using the wayback machine.
    For example: http://web.archive.org/web/200312310....giantitp.com/

For others you can check here: http://web.archive.org/web/200501300...tITP/ootscript
    For example on the 3rd February the strip was 145 where on the 4th February it was 146 - as such 146 was released on either the 3rd or 4th February 2005.

But that is about as much work as I am going to do on that - but you could likely work away from there.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    B. Dandelion's (long inactive) OOTS Strips by Final Post Count thread has a link to her data, which contains the dates and times for all the strips (or at least, for the forum posts that indicated when a new strip was up) from 1 through 915.
    Wow! Fantastic! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    You can piece together rough dates of some of them (but I suspect not all) using the wayback machine.
    For example:

For others you can check here:
    For example on the 3rd February the strip was 145 where on the 4th February it was 146 - as such 146 was released on either the 3rd or 4th February 2005.

But that is about as much work as I am going to do on that - but you could likely work away from there.
    Thanks! That looks like a good way to find the actual dates... I think I'm gonna rely on the other post where the work has been done for me! I'm lazy.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Jesus, I didn't realize it had been that long... with that kind of time lapse I really should have tried to turn it over to someone else at least. It's nice to know that... uh... the memory of my spreadsheet lives on in usefulness, (♩la....♩) but that was a project that turned so iconic I shouldn't have let it go that long without even checking to see if I'd been asked by anyone (*cough* Porthos *cough*) if they wanted to take over.

Oh look at that I have an email that's over a year old.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

As someone who was/is a huge fan of that thread I think it would be fantastic if you or someone else kept it going because I find that sort of data to be fascinating, especially in graph format, because who doesn't love a nice graph?

Also, welcome back to the forums!

Peelee’s Lotsey

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

You can use the Discussion Thread Index and search in the threads for Rich's posts (or other posters) indicating a new strip is up.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

After seeing this thread, I took at look at B. Dandelion's "OOTS Strips by Final Post Count" thread which I had forgotten about in the past 2-1/2 years since it was last updated. Like the OP of this thread, I am more interested in publication dates than the discussion posts. I updated the publication dates for strips 916 - 1046. In addition, I added columns for book chapter number, whether the strip contains crayon art, and the number of pages in the strip. I noted instances where online page number or layout differs from print. Porthos's "OOTS by Page Count" thread was invaluable in helping me check my page count.

I also added tabs for the bonus strips and other extra material found in the print books. I did not attempt to include any information on the other published material which did not appear online first (On the Origin of PCs, Start of Darkness, SSaDT, and the Kickstarter shorts). Once again, I followed the categories that Porthos created for the "OOTS by Page Count" thread.

A fourth tab breaks down the rounds (chapters) in each book. Since Book 6 is far from being complete, I followed DaggerPen's breakdown in the "OOTS Strip Summaries" thread.

As with any catalog, I am sure there are a few mistakes here or there, and I will be happy to update them as I find them.

However, I have only made a single post since I started lurking this forum when Captain Axe sailed Hinjo's junk away from Azure City, so I cannot post a proper link to the Google Doc.

OOTS Titles and Times
    Last edited by BlameCandida; 2016-10-04 at 10:16 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by B. Dandelion View Post
    I shouldn't have let it go that long without even checking to see if I'd been asked by anyone (*cough* Porthos *cough*) if they wanted to take over.

Oh look at that I have an email that's over a year old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    As someone who was/is a huge fan of that thread I think it would be fantastic if you or someone else kept it going because I find that sort of data to be fascinating, especially in graph format, because who doesn't love a nice graph?
    Now I'm not sayin' anything by quoting these two posts back to back.

But I might just be sayin'.

Still, even though I am in fact not sayin', officially, anything quite yet just.... watch this space.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2016-08-02 at 07:07 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Google Docs spreadsheet is updated for the last comic:

OOTS Titles and Times
    Last edited by BlameCandida; 2016-10-04 at 10:17 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Updated again for the latest three strips (1048 - 1050):

OOTS Titles and Times
    Last edited by BlameCandida; 2016-10-04 at 10:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BlameCandida View Post
    Like the OP of this thread, I am more interested in publication dates than the discussion posts.
    Except that they're the same thing...the Giant makes the discussion threads when he posts the comic, so unless he's uploading at midnight or something, it's done on the same day.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theasl View Post
    Except that they're the same thing...the Giant makes the discussion threads when he posts the comic, so unless he's uploading at midnight or something, it's done on the same day.
    I can see that what I wrote was unclear. B Dandelion kept track of various data about the discussion threads including how many replies there were and what kind of smily the Giant used. While I can see how other people were interested in that, I personally was only interested in the dates of the comic being published (which are the same as the dates of the discussion threads as you point out).

I also didn't want to step on anyone's toes by resurrecting what B Dandelion had done without asking. I do hope to see Porthos bring it back soon. So I used what B Dandelion had as a starting point and added what was of interest to me (comic format, print changes, etc), while leaving off what was not.

I updated the spreadsheet to provide the OP with the data they sought, as well as for my own interest, which definitely isn't the update schedule, since we don't talk about that.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Updated for strip 1051

OOTS Titles and Times
    Last edited by BlameCandida; 2016-10-04 at 10:18 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Oh, seconded!

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Now I'm not sayin' anything by quoting these two posts back to back.

But I might just be sayin'.

Still, even though I am in fact not sayin', officially, anything quite yet just.... watch this space.
    Watching!!!
    Geez, what is it with that guy and needing to figure out all the fiddly little details?

I know, right? It's called "Suspension of Disbelief"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyl View Post
    Some speculation turns out to be accurate, some doesn't. I'll deal with it the same way I deal with all other speculative theories I read and/or come up with: by continuing to read the comic, and enjoying it whether the speculation turns out to be right or wrong.
    Spoiler: Can I have an internet?
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I also didn't want to step on anyone's toes by resurrecting what B Dandelion had done without asking. I do hope to see Porthos bring it back soon. So I used what B Dandelion had as a starting point and added what was of interest to me (comic format, print changes, etc), while leaving off what was not.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeliaP View Post
    Watching!!!
    October is a lovely time of year. Heat waves have passed (for the most part) in Cali and folks have the time and energy to start on new, or even perhaps relaunched, projects.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

October is a lovely time of year. Heat waves have passed (for the most part) in Cali and folks have the time and energy to start on new, or even perhaps relaunched, projects.
    That does sound like a pretty exciting time of year, especially for people that relaunched projects.

Peelee’s Lotsey

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

That does sound like a pretty exciting time of year, especially for people that relaunched projects.
    Worst part is out of the way.

Namely figuring out a title. Or rather, the subtitle.

Been racking my brain off an on for a suitable one. Had a couple of contenders, but I didn't really like them.

But inspiration just struck a while ago and I have, as they say in the media arts, "locked it in".

And, no, it's not 'OOTS by Post Count II: Count Harder'. Or any derivation there of.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

And, no, it's not 'OOTS by Post Count II: Count Harder'. Or any derivation there of.
    Thor damnit Porthos, now I want it to be OOTS by Post Count II: Count Harder.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

And I'm guessing we've run out of Star Trek references, otherwise I'd have a sure bet on OOTS II: The Wrath of the Forum.

Peelee’s Lotsey

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Thor damnit Porthos, now I want it to be OOTS by Post Count II: Count Harder.

GW
    I'm classing the joint up this time with my reference.

And I'm guessing we've run out of Star Trek references, otherwise I'd have a sure bet on OOTS II: The Wrath of the Forum.
    Oh, I think the reference will be famous enough to pass the muster of this forum.

=======

In all seriousness, the "x harder" gag has been done enough recently. Time to rest it for a bit. 'sides, as good as that might be, I really do like what I chose. Mostly because of how it connects to the one of the purposes of the project.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2016-09-10 at 09:37 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

In all seriousness, the "x harder" gag has been done enough recently. Time to rest it for a bit. 'sides, as good as that might be, I really do like what I chose. Mostly because of how it connects to the one of the purposes of the project.
    "Lies, damn lies, and statistics"?

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm excited to see a return of the Post Count thread with whatever title it make have.

Also, updated for 1052:

OOTS Titles and Times
    Last edited by BlameCandida; 2016-10-04 at 10:19 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Updated for strip 1053:

OOTS Titles and Times
    Last edited by BlameCandida; 2016-10-04 at 10:19 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    "Lies, damn lies, and statistics"?

GW
    Considering we're shopping titles for a sequel to a thread which wasn't very popular or heavily read in the first place, may I suggest:

OOTS by Post Count II: Electric Boogaloo
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2016-09-28 at 09:56 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Updated for strip 1054

And after 9 years, I can finally post links. Hopefully we'll get an October surprise from Porthos.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Considering we're shopping titles for a sequel to a thread which wasn't very popular or heavily read in the first place, may I suggest:

OOTS by Post Count II: Electric Boogaloo
    You can suggest it. But I already reejected it.

Quote Originally Posted by theasl View Post
    I think the thread title of that strip is appropos for some reason:

This is Not a Thing That is Going to Happen

Hopefully we'll get an October surprise from Porthos.
    Maaaaaaybe.

Perhaps I'll give a preview of my sig which will be updated soon:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Oh boy, this is like Christmas come early. Plus a Star Trek reference!

Peelee’s Lotsey