New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: booze and rpgs

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default booze and rpgs

i had one experience when i was playing Neverwinter Nights 2, i drank so much, i believed that i was a peasant whose village was being attacked. this was a memorable experience for me.

has anybody else had any cool experiences with alcohol and rpgs? i don't want to encourage binge drinking because it's bad for you, but drinking occasionally is not bad and may even be a good thing.

i quit alcohol after i was diagnosed with schizophrenia, but resumed it recently. just drinking once a month or two - helps with the monotony of life, and is especially good with rpgs such as the witcher 2 which i will be playing soon. meh ... guess it depends on whether there are any drinkers at giantitp forums

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: booze and rpgs

Whoa. Interesting experience.

For me, first I'll give some background. I'm 28, yet have only been drunk a few times. In particular, only once that I don't remember everything that happened. But that one time...

I had just turned 21. Played WoW at the time, was in a raiding guild. Lived with my then girlfriend (now wife!), my best buddy from college, and his girlfriend. In fact, all 4 of us were in the same raiding guild. We were running Karazhan (my wife wasn't in that specific raiding party), I drank more and more as the night went on. We were all on a program that lets you talk with your guildmates, by the way.

Anyway, I don't recall getting to Maiden (a big female giant). When she dies, she falls back. Not exactly exposing herself, but anyone with an imagination can uhh, you know. So apparently when she dropped, I was jumping up and down in her crotch area, shouting into our voice chat, "I'm jumping in her vagina!" After that, my wife took over for me and made me go to bed. I was really sick the next day, probably why I never drink.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Goodkill, I strongly recommend you avoid alcohol and speak to your doctor.

Schizophrenics and alcohol don't mix well as they tend to addictive behaviors and are particularly suceptable to alcoholism, which makes their lives even more difficult.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Goodkill, I strongly recommend you avoid alcohol and speak to your doctor.

Schizophrenics and alcohol don't mix well as they tend to addictive behaviors and are particularly suceptable to alcoholism, which makes their lives even more difficult.
    well after my last drinking binge i developed gout in my one foot, so basically that spells the end of my drinking. i also have to modify my diet, but thankfully i used to be a vegan anyway, so that shouldn't be hard for me.

now i just drink coffee and use discipline instead of drinking more booze to sustain myself and my creativity ... having had this lifestyle for awhile besides when i was hospitalized (where i only ate beef for ethical reasons, again not helping with the gout predisposition) it's not surprising i developed gout.
    Last edited by Goodkill; 2016-08-14 at 05:03 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I generally don't drink, but this one time at a Lan party of around 16 people, I got destroyed. All I remember is waking up with my hair FULL of salt and pepper, and a teddy bear beside me.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

I usually play D&D at a hobbyshop and have to drive so no drinking and playing for me, though I can see the allure of it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

My entire raid guild in WoW used to run drunk as skunks. It was tons of fun over ventrillo (what we used for voice chat back then) With lots of laughing, lots of silly comments, and in general tons of fun. We also did surprisingly well at clearing raid dungeons while hammered. Probably because less stress means things run smoother.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I started playing Dungeons & Dragons when I was ten or eleven years old, and the guys I spent playing D & D (and other less fun RPG's), were thr same guys I later spent time drinking with.
    I probably spent more time playing RPG"s and drank more alcohol before I left high school than in the 30 years afterwards.
    I miss both.
    Work and family are the bane of the drinking and RPG'ing classes!

:
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!