New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Suicide Squad: The Revenge Of The One Star Review

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    They changed it because just like Harvey herself, they imported the relationship from BTAS. Sounds to me like you really don't have an argument other than "They changed it (well her) so it sucks".
    No the argument was change should happen if it makes sense for the characters to behave and develop for those changes to work.

Ivy is using Harley. Ivy is a manipulative serial rapist. I know Ivy and Harley had a thing in BTAS, trust me, I've seen every episode multiple times. Here's what happens that episode. Joker is a **** to Harley, Harley wanders off meets Ivy who then gets her to go on a crime spree. Then at the end, she is disgusted with Harley for going back to the Joker, because she can no longer get any use from her newest toy. And that's the end of their relationship.

Ivy in the comics is even worse. They don't really have her rape anyone in the kids tv show. When that is kind of her shtick in the comics.

Make Harley develop, sure. But make that development make sense for both characters. Just rewriting someone to squeeze a relationship that doesn't make sense is bad writing. When that relationship completely misses the point of both characters that is even worse writing.

Seriously, Ivy? It could have been pretty much any female villain except Ivy and be better. Her goal is to murder all humans in a plant based genocide.

Of course it would be even better if we stop trying to romanticize lunatics, serial killers, and obviously abusive dysfunctional relationships. Cool? Cool.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2016-08-09 at 09:19 AM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

After all - assuming that they had knowledge of the fight, Batman just proved conclusively that a normal human with sufficient preparation and proper equipment COULD win a fight against a Kryptonian.
    Wll yeah, maybe a kryptonian that did not want to fight. The outcome had most likely been a bit different if it had been against Zod.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    The villain's pet wouldn't matter. Because that's the direction that they chose to go in.
    Deadshot's eyepiece, most likely, has some arcane production story that we know nothing about. My best guess, is that Will Smith simply didn't want the eyepiece on his right eye.
    I'd guess it was probably more like...

"Hey, I was looking at some source material and just realized we have Mr. Smith's eyepiece on the wrong eye."
    "Huh. I hadn't noticed."
    "Do we have to back and change it?"
    "Show of hands who cares."
    (crickets)
    "I guess we'll keep it as is."

I mean at the absolute worst one could argue whether or not the eyepiece needed to be over a dominant eye in order to aim, but Deadshot appears to be ambidextrous when it comes to firearms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    No the argument was change should happen if it makes sense for the characters to behave and develop for those changes to work.

Ivy is using Harley. Ivy is a manipulative serial rapist. I know Ivy and Harley had a thing in BTAS, trust me, I've seen every episode multiple times. Here's what happens that episode. Joker is a **** to Harley, Harley wanders off meets Ivy who then gets her to go on a crime spree. Then at the end, she is disgusted with Harley for going back to the Joker, because she can no longer get any use from her newest toy. And that's the end of their relationship.

Ivy in the comics is even worse. They don't really have her rape anyone in the kids tv show. When that is kind of her shtick in the comics.

Make Harley develop, sure. But make that development make sense for both characters. Just rewriting someone to squeeze a relationship that doesn't make sense is bad writing. When that relationship completely misses the point of both characters that is even worse writing.

Seriously, Ivy? It could have been pretty much any female villain except Ivy and be better. Her goal is to murder all humans in a plant based genocide.

Of course it would be even better if we stop trying to romanticize lunatics, serial killers, and obviously abusive dysfunctional relationships. Cool? Cool.
    Actually Ivy's usually played up as more of a morally gray antihero/antivillain these days depending on the writer and situation. She's much less genocidal than when she started. During No Man's Land she even took in orphans and helped supply fruits and vegetables to refugees.

Then there's everything involving the Green and that while primal forces section of the DC Universe.

The last Poison Ivy book I read, granted I forget the year of publication, she was back to working in the lab alongside human scientists who were her friends.

She still prefers plants to people, but like Harley Quinn she's often more good than evil, though she does straddle the line. It's implied that while they're no longer together, the relationship between Harley and Ivy was good for both of them. Harley gets an alternative to her Mistuh J and is able to stand up to him more often, and Ivy lightened up to where she's no longer genocidally crazy.

Now I haven't seen Ivy in the most recent DC Rebirth comics yet, and all I know about Harley is she's on the Suicide Squad with a movie-esque lineup.

4. - Top - End - #214

That's getting to be pretty common with the comics. The movie tail is wagging the whole publishing dog. I figure the next cosmic reboot in Marvel is going to rip the universe into separate Avengers and X-Men continuities.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

She is disgusted with harley for harley keeps on making the exact same bad decisions, harley knows she is doing this, but does this anyway.

Ivy is disgusted for this is what many people call the definition of insanity, Harley knows it is a bad relationship but does it anyway.

-----

(warning this part I am indenting is getting way too close to politics, I appoligize I am not trying to talk poltics but instead how we view society has changed in the last twenty years.)

Now Ivy being disgusted and Ivy wanting Harley to change her relationship status with Mr. J is not a feminist or non feminist position in modern society, but it used to be considered a feminist perspective in the 70s to 90s that if a man treats you like crap and you are married to him, and this does not change then you need to get out of this relationship if you are married. A great chart that demonstrates the change of culture involving divorce is this link / picture

http://www.businessinsider.com/marri...merica-2015-12

Notice the surge of divorce from the 1970s to mid 1990s, but from the mid 1990s to today divorce rates are lower today than they used to be. In fact today's divorce rate in the US is almost the rate it was in the 1950s

Now technical Harley and Mr. J are not a married couple, but they sure do act like it. When the episode aired in 1993 this was a time where many people were bemoaning the changing relationship between men and women, and lots of people were complaining that women were divorcing needlessly.

Am I going political and imparting my viewpoint onto the episode where it does not exist? The answer to this is no. Take for instance when Poison Ivy and Harley tie up batman. They made a point to tie him up to the kitchen table and the plan was for him to be drowned in the bottom of a lake (part of a toxic waste dump). Poison Ivy talks about how it is fitting that batman is imprisoned by the tools of female domestic slavery. And you see on the table that the weights are a vaccum cleaner, an iron, a coffee maker, a (food) stand mixer, etc. One of the themes of this episodes is whether women are prisoners to marriage but also whether society itself makes women into a prisoners. One of the great gags at the end of the episode is Ivy stating no man can ever hold them prisoners, only for a female cop to shoot out the car's tire that Harley and Ivy were driving and the female cop was the one who arrested them.

------

I am now dropping this conversation for it is getting way too close to politics.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    Actually Ivy's usually played up as more of a morally gray antihero/antivillain these days depending on the writer and situation. She's much less genocidal than when she started. During No Man's Land she even took in orphans and helped supply fruits and vegetables to refugees.

Then there's everything involving the Green and that while primal forces section of the DC Universe.

The last Poison Ivy book I read, granted I forget the year of publication, she was back to working in the lab alongside human scientists who were her friends.

She still prefers plants to people, but like Harley Quinn she's often more good than evil, though she does straddle the line. It's implied that while they're no longer together, the relationship between Harley and Ivy was good for both of them. Harley gets an alternative to her Mistuh J and is able to stand up to him more often, and Ivy lightened up to where she's no longer genocidally crazy.

Now I haven't seen Ivy in the most recent DC Rebirth comics yet, and all I know about Harley is she's on the Suicide Squad with a movie-esque lineup.
    Oh I know from what's been posted that Ivy has been thoroughly toned down. I didn't realize it was this bad though. Bah, I hate it when they take good villains and neuter them because they're pretty and popular.

Fine, I admit defeat, somewhere along the line Ivy apparently was changed so she isn't a mass murdering serial rapist, who has literally used children to feed to her plant abominations anymore. Whatever.

At least I still have the Joker. They certainly won't make him actually start caring about Harley. Except, you know, in this movie. But they better not make that transition anywhere.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

At least I still have the Joker. They certainly won't make him actually start caring about Harley. Except, you know, in this movie. But they better not make that transition anywhere.
    But does he? Really? Or does he view Harley as a work of art that he's molded to his view of perfection?
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    But does he? Really? Or does he view Harley as a work of art that he's molded to his view of perfection?
    You can try to wiggle your own interpretation onto him as much as you want, to get your own fan canon view. And, while, personally, I like your view better than what I got out of the viewing experience, all I saw was that every action the Joker takes in this movie (after the beginning transformation scene) was to aid, save, and protect Harley.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

You can try to wiggle your own interpretation onto him as much as you want, to get your own fan canon view. And, while, personally, I like your view better than what I got out of the viewing experience, all I saw was that every action the Joker takes in this movie (after the beginning transformation scene) was to aid, save, and protect Harley.
    Yep. But is it meant to be genuine affection, or is that just another fan interpretation? Valid, certainly, no more valid than others?
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Yep. But is it meant to be genuine affection, or is that just another fan interpretation? Valid, certainly, no more valid than others?
    Well, without further evidence to prove either way, I usually go with the one that requires the least explaining. Because providing these details to thoroughly explore the motivations is the job of the writers. Actually caring for, admittedly, his creation of Harley is what all his actions seem to show. If it was not meant to be genuine affection, perhaps, not presenting it as such would make your interpretation the correct one. But since they didn't, I'd stick with he actually cares in his own deranged way.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Saw the film Sunday night. It's... a mixed bag, to say the least.

Spoiler: Pros/Cons, as someone who doesn't read or care about DC comics
    Show

Pros:
    -Will Smith playing Will Smith and calling it Deadshot is probably not accurate to the comics, but it's enjoyable enough that I don't care.
    -Margot Robbie is not amazing as Harley Quinn, but much better than she looked from the trailers.
    -El Diablo was pretty awesome, once he got past the moping and actually started doing stuff and explaining his backstory.
    -Amanda Waller is a stone cold badass, but also makes Nick Fury look like a positively nice and trustworthy dude.
    -Visuals were mostly pretty good, and the action was entertaining.
    -Killer Croc has moments of funny that are clearly inspired by MCU's take on the Hulk.
    -The music was well-chosen, although there was a bit too much of it, especially early on. Clearly some exec watched Guardians of the Galaxy and concluded that the film's success was largely attributable to spamming classic songs throughout the entire movie.

Cons:
    -Half the squad were absolutely pointless. They honestly could have just left out Captain Boomerang, Killer Croc, and Katana (and that Slipknot guy whose name I had to look up because he was too insignificant to remember).
    -I know DC has some goofy and stupid character names, but Captain Boomerang? Really?
    -The plot doesn't hold up to even the tiniest amount of critical thought. Yes, it's a popcorn movie where you're advised to turn off your brain, but some of it was just really dumb.
    -Did Enchantress's brother even have a name? Or a personality? Goals of his own? Any reason at all to be in the movie other than as a plot device to explain how Enchantress got out from under Waller's thumb?
    -Jared Leto's Joker is pretty terrible. While the acting and characterization are definitely not up to the standards of Nicholson or Ledger, it's still the look that really kills it here. I don't know what they were thinking and it just doesn't work for me.

Overall it was worth the watch, but not something I feel compelled to watch again. In comparison to BvS: Dawn of Justice (which I just watched last night so it's fresh in my mind), I'd say Suicide Squad is more consistent and slightly better. Also, the lack of gun-toting, criminal-branding, murderous Bat-fleck (sure, he appears but he isn't doing the previously mentioned un-Batman-like things in this film) helps a lot.

I'm using the Ultimate Edition of BvS as my basis for comparison, so I don't know what all was cut from the theatrical release. Either way, both films are leagues above Man of Steel, which set my expectations low enough that I was able to enjoy both films to an extent.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    I know DC has some goofy and stupid character names, but Captain Boomerang? Really?
    Captain Boomerang is admittedly difficult to take seriously for a lot of reasons (for starters, because he's one of the Flash's rogues, as opposed to somebody that could actually be reasonably fought using super-science boomerangs), but there's worse. Did you know Superman has a villain called...I think it's the Puzzler? I know what you're thinking, "sounds like a Riddler ripoff", but it's actually even dumber than that. Puzzler (or whatever they're called) is a villain that's essentially a human-shaped three-dimensional jigsaw puzzle; their gimmick is that, when you beat them up, they break apart, but they can put themselves back together (they also make puzzle-based puns, because of course they do). They're not particularly strong or fast compared to a normal person, they're just kinda hard to actually hurt. Superman tolerates this nonsense for a period of time too small for current science to accurately measure, and proceeds to take Puzzler apart and then trap their face under a trash can so their body can't reform around it. Or hey, we could bring up Calendar Man, a Batman villain who's plan for outwitting the world's greatest detectives is to make both his crimes and the days they'll be committed about as predictable as possible.

Not that Marvel is much better on the "stupid villain" front. There's a dude in Marvel who's a third-tier super-scientist who made some kind of laser gun that temporarily blinds his opponents when he fires it. He decides that this technology is sufficiently useful for him to take on Daredevil and Spider-Man at the same time. Take a wild freaking guess how that fight went.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

I see your Puzzler and raise you Arm Fall Off Boy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arm-Fall-Off-Boy
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

14. - Top - End - #224
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    temporarily blinds his opponents. Daredevil and Spider-Man.
    I give the boy points for gumption but hooo jeez that's...that's just not good.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Captain Boomerang is admittedly difficult to take seriously for a lot of reasons (for starters, because he's one of the Flash's rogues, as opposed to somebody that could actually be reasonably fought using super-science boomerangs), but there's worse. Did you know Superman has a villain called...I think it's the Puzzler? I know what you're thinking, "sounds like a Riddler ripoff", but it's actually even dumber than that. Puzzler (or whatever they're called) is a villain that's essentially a human-shaped three-dimensional jigsaw puzzle; their gimmick is that, when you beat them up, they break apart, but they can put themselves back together (they also make puzzle-based puns, because of course they do). They're not particularly strong or fast compared to a normal person, they're just kinda hard to actually hurt. Superman tolerates this nonsense for a period of time too small for current science to accurately measure, and proceeds to take Puzzler apart and then trap their face under a trash can so their body can't reform around it. Or hey, we could bring up Calendar Man, a Batman villain who's plan for outwitting the world's greatest detectives is to make both his crimes and the days they'll be committed about as predictable as possible.

Not that Marvel is much better on the "stupid villain" front. There's a dude in Marvel who's a third-tier super-scientist who made some kind of laser gun that temporarily blinds his opponents when he fires it. He decides that this technology is sufficiently useful for him to take on Daredevil and Spider-Man at the same time. Take a wild freaking guess how that fight went.
    I can only assume that the puzzle-based puns help him cope with the existential horror of being a "super" villain whose name is Puzzler. It's probably a better coping mechanism than the drug habit(s) he would no doubt have otherwise.

It's true that Marvel has its share of facepalm-worthy character names, but they tend to either have fewer of them, or at least have quietly swept most of them under the rug several decades ago. I'm sure that a few have slipped through, though.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I give the boy points for gumption but hooo jeez that's...that's just not good.
    Being totally fair, it's not like he called them out to fight, but I think he just went running through their part of New York high on power, and didn't stop to think through the implications of their power sets countering his.

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    I can only assume that the puzzle-based puns help him cope with the existential horror of being a "super" villain whose name is Puzzler. It's probably a better coping mechanism than the drug habit(s) he would no doubt have otherwise.

It's true that Marvel has its share of facepalm-worthy character names, but they tend to either have fewer of them, or at least have quietly swept most of them under the rug several decades ago. I'm sure that a few have slipped through, though.
    Yeah, Marvel is better about dealing with the crap properly. Hell, apparently the Punisher takes time out of his daily routine to make sure there's no scrubs bothering Daredevil, since he's eliminated a handful of bottom-tier villains who were trying to fight DD.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, Marvel is better about dealing with the crap properly. Hell, apparently the Punisher takes time out of his daily routine to make sure there's no scrubs bothering Daredevil, since he's eliminated a handful of bottom-tier villains who were trying to fight DD.
    A Supervillain, The Scourge, was created specifically to destroy unwanted marvel villains in the late 80's. Think he got upwards of 40
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    I see your Puzzler and raise you Arm Fall Off Boy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arm-Fall-Off-Boy
    If you had not actually linked that, I would not have believed that was a thing and thought you were pulling my leg. Which would then fall off.

Oh comic books. There are so many times when I wish I could have been a fly on the wall in the writers' room where they decided that THIS is a good idea.

Arm Fall Off Boy seems like the sort of thing that gets written at 2 AM while utterly blitzed when the author suddenly remembers that he has a deadline.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    If you had not actually linked that, I would not have believed that was a thing and thought you were pulling my leg. Which would then fall off.

Oh comic books. There are so many times when I wish I could have been a fly on the wall in the writers' room where they decided that THIS is a good idea.

Arm Fall Off Boy seems like the sort of thing that gets written at 2 AM while utterly blitzed when the author suddenly remembers that he has a deadline.
    Maybe Arm Fall Off Boy was created on a dare? Or just trying to see whether the editors were paying attention (they clearly weren't).

20. - Top - End - #230
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

If I recall correctly, Arm-Fall-Off-Boy was introduced trying out for the Legion of Super-heroes, which regularly held interviews for new super-powered team members, usually with people with stupid powers.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

If it's any consolation, Arm Fall Off Boy was literally created to be useless. His appearance in comics involves him applying to (and subsequently being rejected by) a superhero team.

Then he came back with a (marginally) better name: "Splitter". He was once again rejected, after failing to make the cut during tryouts.

Edit: Fawkes beat me to it.
    Last edited by Ceiling_Squid; 2016-08-09 at 05:03 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

On the members:
    Spoiler
    Show

Katana was needed as Enchantress was resist to non-magical damage, the sword is magical. Granted, they could have stolen he sword and have someone else use it, but she is best with it.

Croc is good for swimming missions. Plus, tough and strong.

Boomerang has Batman batarang powers, (remember he used his boomerang to scout the building safely).

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    On the members:
    Spoiler
    Show

Katana was needed as Enchantress was resist to non-magical damage, the sword is magical. Granted, they could have stolen he sword and have someone else use it, but she is best with it.

Croc is good for swimming missions. Plus, tough and strong.

Boomerang has Batman batarang powers, (remember he used his boomerang to scout the building safely).

There's a difference between the show shoehorning an action for a character to take and the character actually being important to the narrative.

Spoiler
    Show
    The story could have said "we need to cut out her heart, it's her only weakness!" and then Katana has no purpose in the story. By the same token, Croc is only useful because the show just so happened to require people to go scuba diving for the mission to be successful, because, random events happened to make that necessary because the writers wanted him to do something.

Boomerang actually does serve a narrative purpose. He was the guy that continuously tested the limits and rebelled against the status quo tricking others to die so he could figure out what's going on. He is the "token villain" of the villain team. And while they played with that a few times (tricking slipknot to commit suicide and leaving as soon as Flagg smashes the detonator). But they don't actually really play it up. He just comes back the next scene for no reason.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2016-08-09 at 09:48 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

I've not watched the movie, but I just wanted to add this:

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Deadshot's eyepiece, most likely, has some arcane production story that we know nothing about. My best guess, is that Will Smith simply didn't want the eyepiece on his right eye.
    Alternatively, it could be a setup for an I'm not left eye dominant long con somewhere down the line.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

There's a difference between the show shoehorning an action for a character to take and the character actually being important to the narrative.

Spoiler
    Show
    The story could have said "we need to cut out her heart, it's her only weakness!" and then Katana has no purpose in the story. By the same token, Croc is only useful because the show just so happened to require people to go scuba diving for the mission to be successful, because, random events happened to make that necessary because the writers wanted him to do something.

Boomerang actually does serve a narrative purpose. He was the guy that continuously tested the limits and rebelled against the status quo tricking others to die so he could figure out what's going on. He is the "token villain" of the villain team. And while they played with that a few times (tricking slipknot to commit suicide and leaving as soon as Flagg smashes the detonator. But they don't actually really play it up. He just comes back the next seen for no reason.
    The term you were looking for was 'Eigen Plot' (although it has recently been re-named for some stupid reason).

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...Main.EigenPlot

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Katana was supposedly there to help Flag keep people in line but we really didn't get to see that happen. Plotwise she was just an excuse to carry a magical Macguffin to beat Enchantress. Honestly she could have been killed off fighting mooks or Joker or something and would have had the same impact.

In-universe I'm not sure why Boomerang was on the team. He didn't offer anything that other members didn't do better. It'd be different if he had actually given Flash some trouble before his incarceration. Then his position would make sense. Meta plot wise, Boomerang was supposed to be annoying comic relief and pseudo-Deadpool, but he ended up being annoying and useless. No idea why he came back. Maybe if he had some kind of throwaway line like "I'm Boomerang. When people throw me away I can't help but come back."

In the comics, not only is Boomerang more useful, he's like the team's Starscream. He's always either trying to take Deadshot's position leading the team, betraying the team, or pretending to betray the team.

Croc was the team brute. He's the only one with reliable super strength. Sure he's not Superman-level, but he's the best they've got.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Is there even an in-story explanation of calling Enchantress that name? There's only one person enamored, and even that was more on the alter ego.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Just counting the manipulative illusions and the "I'll make your dream come true" talk to Harley, yes.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Oh I know from what's been posted that Ivy has been thoroughly toned down. I didn't realize it was this bad though. Bah, I hate it when they take good villains and neuter them because they're pretty and popular.

Fine, I admit defeat, somewhere along the line Ivy apparently was changed so she isn't a mass murdering serial rapist, who has literally used children to feed to her plant abominations anymore. Whatever.

I know we all have different favorite characters, and I understand the feeling; I still haven't forgiven certain people for what they did to Spider Man.
    That said I find it kind of funny that it's okay to debate which Joker you like best, but other characters are not allowed to change?

Also... I haven't followed the comics that closely for many years but this description still seems off to me:
    "Ivy apparently was changed so she isn't a mass murdering serial rapist, who has literally used children to feed to her plant abominations anymore. Whatever." She must have taken a sharp turn somewhere. And then obviously she took an equally sharp turn the other way.

I don't recall that description fitting Ivy back when I read them, including back issues and dad's old comics... Mass murdererer, Okay. The rest? Not that much. For most of her time she has been one of three things to a varying degree:

Echo Terrorist, Strawman Feminist, Seductress.
    Or to put it more clearly: Murdering people because they're stepping on plants, Murdering people because they're men, and trying to seduce batman.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2016-08-11 at 12:01 AM.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Didn't think I was going to see this movie after the reviews, but some friends wanted to take a look so I went along.

It was bad. Really bad.

Spoiler: In depth
    Show
    Most of the team is completely forgettable. Only Deadshot, Harley and Diablo have much of any presence in the film, the others could practically be replaced with lamps.

This compounds with the fact that a good deal of the team is functionally pointless as well. I really question the reason why you'd want a good number of these people on a team. Deadshot and Diablo are obvious, but for all of Harley's combat ability, she's insane, and not easily controlled. Killer Croc is big and strong, but still fairly low-tier on the strength scale for a superhero world. Katana is theoretically good at fighting, but her impact really didn't extend beyond providing a necessary macguffin for another character to use.

Boomerang is just absolutely pointless though. I'm actually surprised how little he actually threw his boomerangs as well. Most of the time he seemed more like a dude with oddly shaped knives he stabbed people with. His one contributing factor was his recon boomerang, which was really only useful because the plot decided it was useful.

The story was beyond dumb. You'd really think that Waller would put better precautions on things when she's trying to blackmail a teleporter. (The proximity alarm for her case was good, but you wonder why she didn't extend similar protection to her house, even just some video cameras to alert her in case she broke in.) Not to mention that her reason for sticking around in the city was ridiculous, why does she have to study something that dangerous within the city?

Joker could also have been completely cut. He should be there to give context to Harley's character. Instead she's back with the team after his stunt in the span of 10-15 minutes.

I also feel like we were really missing some scenes where these people actually became a team. For most of the movie I really feel like no one likes each other. Then Deadshot becomes extremely sentimental for Harley for reasons I really can't explain. (Despite him essentially choosing her over his daughter in the "I missed scene") Then comes the Bar scene and suddenly it feels like everyone has bonded and they're one big happy family.

And honestly, the movie didn't feel fast paced at all. It felt slow to me. Character introductions are very spread out and interspersed with the Enchantress side-plot. And none of it is very exciting, mostly being backstory and such. To the point where it takes about an hour before the suicide squad is actually on site and doing interesting stuff.
    But once they're there, it mostly feels like some sort of zombie war movie as they crawl through heaps of Fungus zombies in rather repetitive scenes. Then we get to the bit with Joker and Harley's stunt which goes nowhere.
    And then there's the Climax which is just so badly choreographed and boring. I was really just begging for it to end, and practically screamed when Joker showed up to bust Harley out, because I was worried for a moment that it was going to just keep going.

I can't recommend this movie in any way. It's not good as a story, and the action feels way too repetitive to be interesting as a fun popcorn movie.
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers