New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fallout V: Old Thread Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Why is Fallout 4 called Fallout 4? It's definitely at least the fifth game in the series (Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Fallout 3, and Fallout New Vegas) and possibly as much as the eighth (if you include Fallout Shelter and the Brotherhood of Steel games).
    Because Fallout New Vegas wasn't called Fallout 4, and it'd be weird to call it Fallout 5 without there being a Fallout 4.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Re Vault 111 inhabitants: Everyone else in the Vault is murdered. Their pods do not fail, Kellog and the Institute scientists just don't open them or restart the cryo process. You get saved because you were the backup. Kellog's memories mention this if you examine the pods in the dream.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Knight View Post
    Re Vault 111 inhabitants: Everyone else in the Vault is murdered. Their pods do not fail, Kellog and the Institute scientists just don't open them or restart the cryo process. You get saved because you were the backup. Kellog's memories mention this if you examine the pods in the dream.
    This is true, but I just can't fathom why they'd do that. What if Shaun died? What if these two individuals turned out to have some genetic defect that made them unsuitable for use as the template for all synth tissue? Why throw away free pre-War genetic material? Was this a "Kellogg is a vicious dog" sort of decision, or is this a "Institute's policies are needlessly cruel" sort of deicision?

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Ok so im having a problem with the NMM. I just downloaded the newest version and the thing wont work. It starts up, but then immediately gives me an error message, the Tracelog says that i have "no games installed" but thats obviously not true.
    I had that problem on my Windows 10 box, until I turned off the cloud storage. For some reason Steam was installing some of the FO4 files to the cloud and NMM was only searching the HD.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Why is Fallout 4 called Fallout 4? It's definitely at least the fifth game in the series (Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Fallout 3, and Fallout New Vegas) and possibly as much as the eighth (if you include Fallout Shelter and the Brotherhood of Steel games).
    Because this isn't the Final Fantasy franchise.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    This is true, but I just can't fathom why they'd do that. What if Shaun died? What if these two individuals turned out to have some genetic defect that made them unsuitable for use as the template for all synth tissue? Why throw away free pre-War genetic material? Was this a "Kellogg is a vicious dog" sort of decision, or is this a "Institute's policies are needlessly cruel" sort of deicision?
    What if Shaun was literally under the initial blast wave of the nuke that made the glowing sea... oh wait no that happened.

Also lets not even point out Fathers plan falls apart because you could have died. He knows his mom is a lawyer... a lawyer she's got low chances in the freaking apocalypse.
    Lets not even go into the other numerous problems from Kellog killing your mom or dad. Or they commit suicide after witnessing there spouse die seconds ago from there perspective.
    Among other flaws in the plan.
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Because this isn't the Final Fantasy franchise.
    What do you mean? Final Fantasy has lots of games that aren't part of the main series.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    Also lets not even point out Fathers plan falls apart because you could have died. He knows his mom is a lawyer... a lawyer she's got low chances in the freaking apocalypse.
    No kidding. Either US Army training standards are pathetic in 2077 or Mrs. Sole Survivor spends most of her time practicing her survival skills, given that they have the same stats and abilities to begin with. I feel like if one got a bunch of lawyers in a room and asked them, many of them would not know how to operate a firearm, pick a lock, or hack a computer—let alone all three.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    What do you mean? Final Fantasy has lots of games that aren't part of the main series.
    I was referencing the descrepancy between the 'american' and 'japanese' numbering. Where a few were missed in America, and you had 2 and 3 (instead of IV and VI) for the SNES, then suddenly it jumped to VII for the Playstation, and everyone missed a turn for a bit.

This is Fallout 4 because this is the first Bethesda-made game (not done by Obsidian with Bethesda's nod) since Fallout 3. And it shows. They should've had Obsidian to the plot again.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Really? What do they say? I've searched through most of the nooks and crannies of the Institute and I haven't seen reference to that plan (though on my first playthrough, I assumed that that was what "Phase 3" meant).

I am trying to find the discussion, but from memory basically you overhear two scientists talking about how close they are to release the phase 3's synths an mass on the surface to kill and replace what either is all key personnel at all settlements or basically everyone, and something about kind of maybe feeling a very small sting of guilt about it, maybe... but dismissing that fairly quickly.

Up to this point however it's pretty clear they have mostly replaced people at random(?) because of two reasons: 1 to see if they can do it and 2 to be able to have test subjects (as far as I can tell a lot of the people they have replaced ended up as being exposed to FEV and turned into supermutants for lulz and evulz).

edit:
    Regarding the Mother: my personal headcanon is that she's JAG.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2016-08-14 at 11:56 PM.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    I am trying to find the discussion, but from memory basically you overhear two scientists talking about how close they are to release the phase 3's synths an mass on the surface to kill and replace what either is all key personnel at all settlements or basically everyone, and something about kind of maybe feeling a very small sting of guilt about it, maybe... but dismissing that fairly quickly.

Up to this point however it's pretty clear they have mostly replaced people at random(?) because of two reasons: 1 to see if they can do it and 2 to be able to have test subjects (as far as I can tell a lot of the people they have replaced ended up as being exposed to FEV and turned into supermutants for lulz and evulz).

edit:
    Regarding the Mother: my personal headcanon is that she's JAG.
    This is in the Biosciences division, you said?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Its the Institute there kind of evil as all heck. I mean when your a group of amoral scientists who decide Super Mutants are a good idea. Or worse then that slaughtering innocent people to replace them is pretty evil all over.
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

13. - Top - End - #133
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Re Vault 111 inhabitants: Everyone else in the Vault is murdered. Their pods do not fail, Kellog and the Institute scientists just don't open them or restart the cryo process.
    If they don't restart the cryo process, how come those people are all frozen when you awake for the second time and escape from your pod? Plus, since what you say suggests the pods can be individually switched on and off, it doesn't explain why the Institute scientists just didn't leave all the people they weren't interested in frozen and unable to witness anything in the first place. See, I can imagine *Kellogg* just killing everyone else in the Vault for the lulz, but I don't see why the Institute scientists who were along with him for the ride would have a reason to go along with that.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    Its the Institute there kind of evil as all heck. I mean when your a group of amoral scientists who decide Super Mutants are a good idea. Or worse then that slaughtering innocent people to replace them is pretty evil all over.
    Them being evil isn't the problem.

The problem is that their evil masterplan doesn't have any evident upsides. They want to kill and replace everyone with synths, but why? What do they get out of doing it? Why does it need sapient robot workers that can pass for and believe themselves to be human?

There's nothing good in the Commonwealth, 90% of activity there is subsistence agriculture that the most basic synths could do, the other 10% is raiders, and which the Institute doesn't seem to want or need, so replacing everyone in it with a robot doesn't do anything for them.

There's some vague nonsense about them wanting to "build a better human" but better how and why is never explained either, and they clearly don't think that's what they're doing because they regard the synths as robots to be put to work anyway because otherwise the whole Railroad plot doesn't make sense.

Just accept that Bethesda are really bad at storytelling, worldbuilding, and anything that isn't constructing Fantasy/Post Apocalyptic Womble Simulator.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2016-08-15 at 03:07 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Barbarian in the Playground

The actual quote from Kellog is: "I never knew why we didn't just refreeze the rest of them, but we had our orders. I guess the old man didn't want so many loose ends."

So it's an actual order from the Institute to kill everyone but you, your husband/wife, and Shaun.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    I had that problem on my Windows 10 box, until I turned off the cloud storage. For some reason Steam was installing some of the FO4 files to the cloud and NMM was only searching the HD.
    Except im still on Windows 7 and im not installing stuff on the cloud, or at least it shouldnt be. Ill look into that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Somewhere between the plants section and the gorillas.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

18. - Top - End - #138

The actual quote from Kellog is: "I never knew why we didn't just refreeze the rest of them, but we had our orders. I guess the old man didn't want so many loose ends."

So it's an actual order from the Institute to kill everyone but you, your husband/wife, and Shaun.
    I note that there's some deliberate obfuscation on the parts of the writers, here. Kellogg refers to both (presumably) the former director and Shaun as the "old man" during his memory sequence. Gotta make sure that the twist doesn't get spoiled, right?

In bigger news, Nuka World will launch August 30th.
    Spoiler: Impressions
    Show
    • They found a remarkably good voice actor to do a Mickey Mouse voice. And Bottle isn't too far off of Goofy's.
    • I'll admit, they also do a good job of capturing that surreallity of Fallout-ifying a Disneyland style theme park.
    • 0:28: I thing we're seeing the return of nukalurks! And if the water actually is made of quantum, I want a mod allowing me to bottle it.
    • 0:31: New weapon! Looks like an AK-47 knockoff.
    • 0:33: Games sound fun.
    • 0:38: Oh please let this not be just a trailer thing. Let me ride the coasters. As a correlary, please don't make me build the coasters.
    • 0:47: You know, I think I actually remember a floor like that in the haunted house at Disneyland. Either that or in the haunted house from Mario 64.
    • 0:52: I guess that's what you get if you mutate a crocodile instead of a gecko. It strikes me as being built very similar to a deathclaw, though; like they took the same skeleton and replaced the head.
    • 0:59: Cowboy vest! My cosplay adventure begins!
    • 1:01: Yes, that's a sand worm. However, I'm more interested in the gun, which looks like a mashup of an M1911 and a squirt gun. Maybe a dart gun of some sort?
    • 1:14: An electrified paddleball seems like a great "just for fun" weapon. But we get a closer look at the totally-not-an-AK from the side.
    • 1:15: ...And from the first person angle. Please tell me I can make more than just that weapon neon colors.
    • 1:20: "A park with every minimally acceptable safety standard met!"
    Last edited by Balmas; 2016-08-15 at 07:24 PM.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Is it wrong of me that I plan on walking into Nuka World wearing my Vim Cola power armor?

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by Sharoth View Post
    Is it wrong of me that I plan on walking into Nuka World wearing my Vim Cola power armor?
    Not wrong, but I must warn you that you are a heretic and blasphemer.

Also, Holy crap forget about Nuka World.
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Not wrong, but I must warn you that you are a heretic and blasphemer.

Also, Holy crap forget about Nuka World.
    Oh holy jumpin' geckos on a crutch! You see, this? THIS is what I was waiting for!

Hey, I wonder, if it is built on the same engine mostly as FO4, if we're going to see a similar thing to FO3 and NV, and get a TTW style mod to mesh them...
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If Fallout New Orleans happens, I hope it features vehicles (mostly in the form of swamp boats, but possibly in canoes, cars, etc.), with the hope of reminding Bethesda that people will remember, even in an apocalypse, that walking everywhere sucks.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

If Fallout New Orleans happens, I hope it features vehicles (mostly in the form of swamp boats, but possibly in canoes, cars, etc.), with the hope of reminding Bethesda that people will remember, even in an apocalypse, that walking everywhere sucks.
    You best be watchin' yersself out in dem dere bayous. You don' wan' t' know what be out deyare. Less jus' say dat if I were bein' chased by a deathclaw, an' knew fer a fact dat if'n I got into da bayous, dat deathclaw would give up an' leave me 'lone? I'd just as soon stop where I is, turn aroun', an' give dat deathclaw a big ol' hug. 'Cause dat's gonna be a whole lot less painful way to go.

An' bes' t' stay away from dat voodoo while you at it. Dat's got nuttin' but bad juju written all over it.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    I don't care in the slightest where it's set, but Obsidian doing another Fallout game? Based on the Fallout 4 engine, presumably? ALL THE YESSES.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I don't care in the slightest where it's set, but Obsidian doing another Fallout game? Based on the Fallout 4 engine, presumably? ALL THE YESSES.
    I'm sorry, I need to change my pants...
    How far in advance do you think I can pre-order that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'm not feeling conquery.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

I have only one thing to say: Giant Mutant Alligators vs. Deathclaws.

Also, I can't wait until someone makes a compatibility patch so I can put Nuka World Robot bits on my Automatron bots. :D

Also, when I watched the trailer, it had 666,660 views, which I find humorous.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

27. - Top - End - #147

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Oh holy jumpin' geckos on a crutch! You see, this? THIS is what I was waiting for!

Hey, I wonder, if it is built on the same engine mostly as FO4, if we're going to see a similar thing to FO3 and NV, and get a TTW style mod to mesh them...
    Well, keeping in mind that this is all speculation, I'd say that it depends on how much Obsidian changes the gameplay. Obsidian made so many changes for NV that made the game better--smoother gun play, a better modding system, a built-in hardcore mode, a much-improved armor system. Nowadays, I find that when I get the urge to play Fallout 3, it's often simpler to just launch TTW instead. That way, I don't have to wrangle four or five overhaul mods, bash them together until they kinda work, and then hunt down the compatibility patches for each, just to have an inferior experience than I would with TTW.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so FU Shadowplay. This is the second time it's chopped my video off. Fortunately, I have a save in that little delay at the end of a video, so I can re-record the episode, but still... OBS seems to behave, so I'll give that a shot.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

29. - Top - End - #149
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Sorry guys.. Obsidian getting involved doesn't seem likely: https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/765250795260510209

30. - Top - End - #150
    Spamalot in the Playground

Also, that they should take notes from Obsidian and put a little more effort into writing a story.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races